Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Best Snowblower for Your Wife

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MN_Runner

Best Snowblower for Your Wife
Original Message   Nov 18, 2011 9:05 pm
I bought a new Honda HS520A for my wife but she did not find it particularly useful because of the following: 1) the blower was a loud bugger; 2) it took a little more effort to pull start; 3) she rather shovel and keep the $600 for whatever shopping; 4) my son is 15 1/2 so she can retire and give him the shovel; 6) still more than one knob.  I thought my son would be interested in using HS520A but he said that he has too much homework and operating OPE does not interest him.  So he likes to wait for me to come home since I enjoy snowblowing so much and he does not want to take that enjoyment away  (my kids call me snowblower freak).  No I took the HS520A back next day to the dealer and they sold it to next guy in line for more that what I paid for the day before.  So the best snow moving equipment is either you or the shovel.  My wife did not give me any grief when I bought HS35 for $15 + another $85 for parts since she came out $500 ahead. 
Replies: 4 - 13 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mvedepo

Re: Best Snowblower for Your Wife
Reply #4   Nov 19, 2011 11:48 am
Interest or not your son is old enough to help out.  If he is not interested in the blower then make him shovel.  I guarantee his interest will peak pretty quick.  I have a neighbor that asks me to mow his yard when he can't because his 16 year old son doesn't "want" too.  No excuse for laziness.  My Dad would have kicked my butt if I left everything for him to do when he got home from work or even worse let my Mom do it. lol
This message was modified Nov 19, 2011 by mvedepo
borat

Reply #5   Nov 19, 2011 11:58 am
aa335 wrote:
Gotta get your wife and kids out shoveling snow more often, especially after a big storm.  I'm starting my kids early, they're out there with their toy shovels at 2 YO. 

That's a good way to teach children work ethic and responsibility. 

I watched my neighbour raise his kids.  He didn't let them do anything in the yard.  No cutting grass, no snow shoveling or operating any type of OPE.  The son was well into his twenties and never lifted a finger around the yard.  I mean nothing.  We have fairly steep driveways and if there's even a lick of snow on them, you're not getting up unless you have four wheel drive.  I recall numerous times, the son would come home after a snowfall, leave his car on the street then walk up the driveway to wait for the old man to come home to clear the driveway.  Once he cleared the driveway, he'd drive the son's car up and park it in the garage.  Every time.   The father is a good 65+ years old.  They have since moved from the neighbourhood.  The father said it was too much work taking care of the yard etc.  Well, had he put the son to work,  (he was still living at home at 27 years of age) he wouldn't be working as hard. 

The son is pretty much useless and the father is the reason that he is.   Teach them when they're young.  They'll actually enjoy the companionship and the activity of accomplishing something. 
blumonster

Reply #6   Nov 19, 2011 12:15 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
I bought a new Honda HS520A for my wife but she did not find it particularly useful because of the following: 1) the blower was a loud bugger; 2) it took a little more effort to pull start; 3) she rather shovel and keep the $600 for whatever shopping; 4) my son is 15 1/2 so she can retire and give him the shovel; 6) still more than one knob.  I thought my son would be interested in using HS520A but he said that he has too much homework and operating OPE does not interest him.  So he likes to wait for me to come home since I enjoy snowblowing so much and he does not want to take that enjoyment away  (my kids call me snowblower freak).  No I took the HS520A back next day to the dealer and they sold it to next guy in line for more that what I paid for the day before.  So the best snow moving equipment is either you or the shovel.  My wife did not give me any grief when I bought HS35 for $15 + another $85 for parts since she came out $500 ahead. 

You have the 2 stage machine so HS520A was additional. I do not think you would miss it.Hopefully HS35 will provide equal or better service than HS520A.

I will be traveling to visit my family overseas in December. If the wife can not use the single stage simple machine, shoveling is the way to go.I know she is not going to shovel when there is a snow blower.I hope she operates it according to the manual.I will explain what I know to her and hope for the best.

MN_Runner

Reply #7   Nov 19, 2011 12:31 pm
The deal breaker for my wife was the starting part.  When she pulled, she said why is this thing so hard to pull.  AA335 is right about having an electrical start for the MRS.  But an electric start has an issue of its own too, my wife probably would say why is this thing so complicated.  I would say the shovel is the simplist and most elegant snowblower out there.
aa335

Reply #8   Nov 19, 2011 6:22 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
The deal breaker for my wife was the starting part.  When she pulled, she said why is this thing so hard to pull.  AA335 is right about having an electrical start for the MRS.  But an electric start has an issue of its own too, my wife probably would say why is this thing so complicated.  I would say the shovel is the simplist and most elegant snowblower out there.

There's always something.  It's too noisy, smelly, too hard, too complicated.  You can only do so much to make it easier. 
aa335

Reply #9   Nov 19, 2011 6:33 pm
borat wrote:
The son is pretty much useless and the father is the reason that he is.   Teach them when they're young.  They'll actually enjoy the companionship and the activity of accomplishing something. 

I have a neighbor like that.  Some fancy hot shot executive.  6 foot 2 that moves a little single stage snowblower or a shovel like he was about to slip a disc on his spine.  I don't think he has a medical condition, I see him throwing the foot ball around in the summer.

Last year, we had a blizzard early February.  Wife was outside snowblowing against the wind at 10 PM.  I don't know why, the wind just puts back what she went over. 

Next day, there was 20" of snow on the driveway, 25" at the EOD.  Wife was outside shoveling, the snow was too much for the little snowblower.  Where was Dad and the 15 year old son?  Inside.  They didn't come outside until my neighbor and I was 3/4 done clearing their driveway and sidewalk. 
mvedepo

Reply #10   Nov 19, 2011 6:43 pm
aa335 wrote:
I have a neighbor like that.  Some fancy hot shot executive.  6 foot 2 that moves a little single stage snowblower or a shovel like he was about to slip a disc on his spine.  I don't think he has a medical condition, I see him throwing the foot ball around in the summer.

Last year, we had a blizzard early February.  Wife was outside snowblowing against the wind at 10 PM.  I don't know why, the wind just puts back what she went over. 

Next day, there was 20" of snow on the driveway, 25" at the EOD.  Wife was outside shoveling, the snow was too much for the little snowblower.  Where was Dad and the 15 year old son?  Inside.  They didn't come outside until my neighbor and I was 3/4 done clearing their driveway and sidewalk. 

Embarrassing
Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Nov 19, 2011 8:49 pm
MN_Runner wrote:

Ok my wife is only 84 lbs. and she's 4'10" tall and here is a video of her starting our snowblower for the first use of the season. My wife is awful with technical things and yet she was able to start the Toro.

It's not complicated at all you slide the throttle lever all the way over, turn the choke switch all te way left, press the fuel button 3 times, and Pull start it. Then after 20 seconds turn the choke switch and you are good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9Y7ELfI3M

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #12   Nov 19, 2011 9:03 pm
mvedepo wrote:
Embarrassing

Yes, he drives a manly 4X4 with chrome wheels.  It's been offroad, climbing the curb while on the way to Starbucks.. 
This message was modified Nov 19, 2011 by aa335
blumonster

Reply #13   Nov 20, 2011 10:55 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Ok my wife is only 84 lbs. and she's 4'10" tall and here is a video of her starting our snowblower for the first use of the season. My wife is awful with technical things and yet she was able to start the Toro.

It's not complicated at all you slide the throttle lever all the way over, turn the choke switch all te way left, press the fuel button 3 times, and Pull start it. Then after 20 seconds turn the choke switch and you are good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u9Y7ELfI3M

Your wife looks like a good sport.Certainly not the norm when it comes to snow blowers, lawnmowers.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42