Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 924082 impeller removal

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
manjestic

Ariens 924082 impeller removal
Original Message   Nov 15, 2011 11:42 pm
I've got the roll pins out of the impeller and the impeller-gearbox-auger out of the housing.  However the impeller is frozen to the shaft.  Anyone have any tips or secrets on how to get the impeller off the shaft?
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
niper99

Re: Ariens 924082 impeller removal
Reply #1   Nov 16, 2011 2:38 am
well from my experience they need at the LEAST to be heated cherry red and beat off...and 20% of the time they still wont come off...lve maxed out my 20 ton shop press more than once trying to get them off and thats while heating them at the same time!! and a propane/mapp gas torch isnt even close to being hot enough..is needs to be heated CHERRY RED.... with that said this is one of those jobs u might want to farm out...i did one last year that my 20 ton press would bugde brought it to a buddy shop he has a 50 ton press that didnt work so he ended up having to drill it out on his lathe...i ended up charging the customer $100 and that was just to remove the shaft!! 
Shryp

Reply #2   Nov 16, 2011 4:35 am
You shouldn't need to take it off.  The impeller doesn't need to come off unless maybe you are doing something with the gear box.  I got one off by taking (2) 2x4s about 2 feet long, slotting the ends, putting the fan blades through the slots close to the shaft, then beating the shaft with a sledge hammer.  That will bend up the impeller though.
jrtrebor

Reply #3   Nov 16, 2011 8:39 am
The impeller shouldn't need to come off. Unless the gear box is bad.  And in that case I would just by a used box that has the impeller still on the shaft.
Removing the impeller as others have said can be a really hard thing to do.  With no real good odds of success.
manjestic

Reply #4   Nov 16, 2011 11:42 am
jrtrebor wrote:
The impeller shouldn't need to come off. Unless the gear box is bad.  

The gearbox is not bad.  But the impeller needs some minor straightening or balancing.  The previous owner consumed something that bent one of the fan blades back slightly, pushing the "plate" against the back wall of the housing.  I'm trying to restore that without damaging the gearbox.  I fear that any hammering on the impeller will damage the gearbox.  Plus, I want to sand and paint the fan.

Also, thinking down the road, if I replace the gearbox with a cast iron one, it would be cheaper to reuse the fan.  If I purchase the gearbox assembly with the impeller and auger shafts, I would have to purchase a fan as well at about $100.  I was hoping to save that.

It's looking more like I should just repair the fan in place.  Or bite the bullet and get the CI gearbox and fan at a total of $300.  Or roll the dice on a used one.  I got the machine for free and put $150 into it already.  In the end, I would have a decent machine for $450.  I think I'll defer that decision until next year.  See how it performs this winter.  The fan is only slightly out of balance.
Shryp

Reply #5   Nov 16, 2011 11:59 am
I wouldn't worry too much about balance.  Once it is filled with snow it will be off balance anyway.  You could probably use an adjustable wrench to get it back close to where it goes.  I used a sledge hammer as an anvil and a regular hammer to flatten my blades back out a bit.

Maybe if you had some pictures of it we could see how bad it is.
jrtrebor

Reply #6   Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm
My impeller is the five blade version.  I had to straighten one of the blades and the back plate.  Picked up a wooden door stop off a sidewalk and it didn't quite make it out of the
housing. Impeller caught it just as it was going out.  Bent one of the blades and the back brace back almost an 1".  The back plate wasn't quite touching the housing but it was close.  Ran it that way most of last year.  Was able to straighten the whole thing out this fall with the impeller on the shaft.  Not using any heat.
 What worked pretty well for me was using two piece of 4x6 on end.  Cut long enough to keep the gear box off the floor. 
 An adjustable wrench as shryp suggested. And of course an assortment of hammers
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #7   Nov 16, 2011 2:49 pm
 The Craftsman repair man had two pieces of  1/4 steel welded together  to straighten the many impeller  blades that he discovered. ,

It had a slot that slid over  the  impeller blade , it also had a 3 ft handle welded on. When he straightened the impeller on my old  Craftsman that I once owned, , it also straightened the back plate.

This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by royster

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42