Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Odd question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Odd question
Original Message   Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm
Let me ask a question, suppose you have four snow blowers side by side all the same width, horsepower, etc. What makes one better then the other? Forget plastic chute vs steel, forget the power steering, heated grips, reliability, etc,etc. I am talking about moving snow......will say a 3k Honda have tighter auger clearances and make for moving more snow? Just trying to understand the huge variance in snow blowe prices.

If all machines are side by side with equal output engines will will say 9hp Honda move more snow then say a 9hp craftsman with a Tecumseh?

This message was modified Nov 13, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 23 - 32 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Steve_Cebu

Re: Odd question
Reply #23   Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm
royster wrote:
60 feet,    but why is it  so important that the snow is moved this far, wouldn't 30 feet do the job.  I think it is more important how  your snowblower handles the snowplowed snow  at the end of the driveway. However your neighbour might be impressed if he is  down wind, and you are filling up his driveway.

Actually I have to throw the snow into the woods and my neighbors cannot see my house unless they get in their car and drive here. So for me the further away the snow is the better. Of course this is a problem when I am near the house as it blows with force mighty close to the windows on the ground floor. 60 feet is with light powder. I have lots of videos of the EOD on YouTube so you can guess how far it throws it. I'd measure it but someone will say it's not as far as I claim.

My neighbors aren't impressed with snowblowers as they all have their driveways professionally plowed

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #24   Nov 15, 2011 9:08 pm
I have plenty of room to throw snow.  From the edge of my driveway to the row of cedars, it's approx. 90 ft.  Back yard is also wide open.   Don't know what it is but I just really like to see snow being bombed high and far.  The higher, the further the better!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #25   Nov 15, 2011 9:32 pm
borat wrote:
I have plenty of room to throw snow.  From the edge of my driveway to the row of cedars, it's approx. 90 ft.  Back yard is also wide open.   Don't know what it is but I just really like to see snow being bombed high and far.  The higher, the further the better!

Sadly mine bounces off the trees if I angle it too high. But due to teh design of my driveway and teh way the wind always blows. I generally have to blow the snow in one direction or get wet fighting mother nature. I do love watching the light powdery snow fly high into the air tho.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #26   Nov 16, 2011 7:32 am
There's something special about seeing a rooster tail of snow being propelled 50' or 60' into the great beyond. It's nice to be able to place the snow where YOU want it and not be limited by a poor performing snowblower.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Steve_Cebu

Reply #27   Nov 16, 2011 10:07 am
FrankMA wrote:
There's something special about seeing a rooster tail of snow being propelled 50' or 60' into the great beyond. It's nice to be able to place the snow where YOU want it and not be limited by a poor performing snowblower.

Absolutely!

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #28   Nov 16, 2011 3:20 pm
aa335 wrote:
Sure, 30 feet would get the job done, but why not have a little fun while you're at it.

Video Link

Yes, of course, more fun.    Nice video,        I like to see the snow going over the tall trees in my back yard.

manjestic

Reply #29   Nov 16, 2011 4:22 pm
Yeah, it's only fun when you can blow the fenders clear off the minivan...two streets away.
blumonster

Reply #30   Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm
aa335 wrote:
Sure, 30 feet would get the job done, but why not have a little fun while you're at it.

Video Link

I know that place.It is on my way to my mother-in-law's house.I could have gotten parts from there but twice the prices of Boats.net.
aa335

Reply #31   Nov 17, 2011 12:04 pm
blumonster wrote:
I know that place.It is on my way to my mother-in-law's house.I could have gotten parts from there but twice the prices of Boats.net.

Really?  It looks like a residential driveway.
blumonster

Reply #32   Nov 17, 2011 5:06 pm
aa335 wrote:
Really?  It looks like a residential driveway.

I meant Bill's Power Equipment in Brookfield where the guy on youtube bought his snow blower from.Probably he lives in the area also.
Replies: 23 - 32 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42