Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help, have new 2012 Honda HS928 have questions.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Whoha

Help, have new 2012 Honda HS928 have questions.
Original Message   Nov 5, 2011 10:11 am
I just picked up a 2012 Honda HS928K1WA. I just replaced my Yamaha YS828 and am clueless  on Honda's Hydro-static trans..

How do you use it?? If I put it is what would be speed 3 and engage the clutch it clunks and does an instant engagement. There is no slipping the clutch so to speak no matter how slow I engage it or how fast.  OR do I have to always have to have it in neutral and ease it up to speed every time I have to start out. If so, that would suck. HELP!!
Replies: 26 - 35 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Re: Help, have new 2012 Honda HS928 have questions.
Reply #26   Nov 11, 2011 5:39 pm
Whoha wrote:
I called the dealer and talked to a service guy,  said  just try to ease it on slowly as best you can. He knows it is not the most refined trans, but says they don't get many trashed trans even though it seems to hammer the trans a bit.  So that's that!

No  hybrostatic transmissions should not act as yours is doing.   When you squeeze down the clutch, you are just sending the power to your hydrostatic transmission .

The lever is your drive speed selector. You use this lever to go forward or reverse at any speed that you select without releasing the clutch. 

Engagement should be  smooth .

This message was modified Nov 11, 2011 by royster

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #27   Nov 11, 2011 5:50 pm
Not sure but sounds like you have the lever in forward position maybe 3/4 the way and then squeeze the lever? And if this is what you are saying then you will have a quick jerk.  You should have it  close to the center position when you start out. Without releasing the clutch move it to the speed you like.

Whoha

Reply #28   Nov 11, 2011 9:10 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Just curious, why would you drive 50 miles to go there when there are many near your home base?

I PM you.
Whoha

Reply #29   Nov 11, 2011 9:47 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
Not sure but sounds like you have the lever in forward position maybe 3/4 the way and then squeeze the lever? And if this is what you are saying then you will have a quick jerk.  You should have it  close to the center position when you start out. Without releasing the clutch move it to the speed you like.

Yes, 1/2 to 1/2 plus. That is what I was saying in my first posts.  I was saying  why not design it the right way the first time.  All it would of taken is another or added bleeder valve to send the pressure from zero to 100% in 1 to 2 seconds. and you could be at full open speed setting with a VERY smooth transition to speed if done right.  That would completely fix the issue of "double handing"  the speed on every turn.  I have  two short driveways and I am always turning 180 degs.  What a  totally illogical way of design. I am going to have to live with it  and it will become a way of life like driving a clutched car.

I am a guy who always looks at design and implementation of design into  products. So this is a big time fail for my way of thinking. I know many of you are fine with it. Kind of like so many people are fine with plastic PC's, I want an Apple machined out of billet aluminum.  I expected more  of design polish then that tranny, it is incomplete and not fully thought out and implemented if you have to always pull back the speed lever before restarting.   No need for people to get pissed off at me, it is my opinion and I feel I am right to expect a fully functioning tranny when paying high dollar from a premium manufacture. It is just  so easy to see that "adding a step" that is a pain in the  rear  to start out makes zero sense. It seems you all have adapted as will I, but why should we have to add a step because of bad design?
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #30   Nov 11, 2011 10:09 pm
This is the first time I have heard this complaint.  I use My Honda's more than my Ariens with 6 speed because I like the way the Hydro works.  Next time try it before buying it.  Wouldnt buy a car without driving it.  Maybe you can add the valve you mention and make it the way you want.  Many of us modify our machines.

Whoha

Reply #31   Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm
I will get use to it. Just like all of you guys.  I already cut in new gear notches into the shoot to get 230+ deg turning radius.
This message was modified Nov 11, 2011 by Whoha
MN_Runner

Reply #32   Nov 11, 2011 10:35 pm
Do you have any pictures?
Whoha

Reply #33   Nov 11, 2011 10:54 pm
Pictures of what? The shoot gear cutting?
MN_Runner

Reply #34   Nov 11, 2011 11:03 pm
YES.  Would like to see how you modified it.
aa335

Reply #35   Nov 11, 2011 11:32 pm
I think Honda hydrostatic drive is the most user friendly.  It has very fine adjustability and ability to go from forward to reverse without declutching is great.  Plus, there's no stiff gates to wiggle the lever in and out of.  Its so smooth I can change the speed while turning.

They have the crispness of the engagement just right, for me.  There is two things that I think they could improve or change.  Forward and reverse maximum speeds.  Reverse is really slow, especially on tracked models, for liability reasons.
Replies: 26 - 35 of 62Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42