Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)
Original Message   Nov 10, 2011 10:35 pm
Finally got the electrical straightened out, I hope (with help from some on this board)
and finished up everything else.

Removed the 11hp Honda clone engine that I put on last year and replaced it with a 13hp Honda GX390
with a 10A lighting coil.  Rewired everything.  Added a stainless shield on the front of the blower
Still have to get a new battery.  And hose it down with Fluid Film. But other than that it's ready to go.
Had some snow and sleet today.

Serrated the Augers.  Replaced the auger shaft bushing setup with flange bearings
Replaced the impeller bearing.  Gave everything a fresh coat of paint.

Tapered the deflector 3/8" on both sides to tighten up the stream a little

Fabricated a new belt cover.

Modified the starter cover to cover the Rectifier and wiring.

Removed the old steel shields on the front of the chute and replaced them with stainless ones.
When I had the wheels off I realized that I could thread in some 1/2 bolts from the back side of the
wheel plate to make studs.  Then use car lug nuts to hold the wheels on.  Now all the threads are protected from the
weather inside the lug nuts.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a pair of cheap 8" moon hub caps.

This message was modified Nov 10, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 2 - 11 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Steve_Cebu

Re: Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)
Reply #2   Nov 11, 2011 12:48 am
Wow that is a really good looking rebuild! It looks fantastic. Did you put an impeller kit on this?

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Shryp

Reply #3   Nov 11, 2011 5:13 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Wow that is a really good looking rebuild! It looks fantastic. Did you put an impeller kit on this?

I remember last year he talked about welding and grinding the impeller blades so he didn't need to use the rubble paddle kit.
bus708

Reply #4   Nov 11, 2011 6:06 am
Great job, You ever get a chance to test the performance. I will love to see it out do a Honda  1132
jrtrebor

Reply #5   Nov 11, 2011 7:53 am
JoelKlein wrote:
Will this blower perform better then a Honda ?

It blew snow pretty well with the 11hp.  So we will have to wait and see how it does with the 13hp. 
I don't know if it will out throw a Honda.  But the Honda's have the Hydro Drive which is hard to beat.  I did add a lower 1st gear which should help in really deep
and or wet snow.  Here is a video I shot last winter.  Hope to shoot another one sometime this winter.
This message was modified Nov 11, 2011 by jrtrebor
jrtrebor

Reply #6   Nov 11, 2011 8:06 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Thanks for your comment.  As shryp posted.  I decreased the clearance between the impeller blade tips and the housing by extending the blade length with weld.
The clearance is about 1/16" + in most place around the housing.
It made a noticeable difference in how the blower handles wet sloppy snow.
jackley

Reply #7   Nov 11, 2011 8:36 am
Kick ass rebuild.  Looks very nice.
manjestic

Reply #8   Nov 11, 2011 9:18 am
This is a serious machine.  Do you use this professionally or just personally?  I like the fabrication around the engine, like the custom belt cover.  Looks factory made.

How did you acquire the Honda engine?
jrtrebor

Reply #9   Nov 11, 2011 9:57 am
manjestic wrote:
This is a serious machine.  Do you use this professionally or just personally?  I like the fabrication around the engine, like the custom belt cover.  Looks factory made.

How did you acquire the Honda engine?
I use it for a little a little of both.  The covers are made out a product called Sintra.  It's 1/8 PVC sheet material.  It's great stuff.  Cuts with utility knife or a powered saw, sands easily.
Will bend to what ever shape you want it to when heated.  With a hair dryer, heat gun or hot water.  Glues together with any Cyanoacrylate adhesive which is the fancy name for
super glue/crazy glue.  The joints are a really strong solvent cement type joint.  Water proof and excepts paint well.
I bought the engine at an online auction.  Just one of those deals.  I got lucky, nobody was really bidding on it.
Got it for $128.00 which I thought was a steal.
aa335

Reply #10   Nov 11, 2011 10:06 am
Nice work, all the little nice touches for personalization.  I like the little reflective discs for conspicuosity, the sheet metal work for the custom covers, and the chute straight ahead alignment marks..  Very stout looking unit with a GX390 engine to match.  Looks like you got quite a deal on that genuine GX engine for the price of a clone.

Did you add handle brace to the tractor section?  What's the hook in the bucket for?
This message was modified Nov 11, 2011 by aa335
carlb

Reply #11   Nov 11, 2011 11:36 am
Looks Great,  glad to hear you are all squared away with the electrical, where did you get the light? I like the fab work on the covers.  What size Augers are they and did you make a template?

I am dying to try out my mid 80's cub cadet 8/26  which i bought this spring with no motor. I put an 11hp honda clone and a 1/2" larger auger/impeller pulley on the engine and suspect that at only 26" width bucket the 11 is probably just a little overkill
Replies: 2 - 11 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42