Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Time for a new lawnmower?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Time for a new lawnmower?
Original Message   Apr 1, 2011 12:41 pm
I purchased my lawnmower  May 12 , 1998 , so it is about 13 years old. It is a Craftsman 944.368300  s/n 010 998m 000270 It is powered by a Tecumseh VLV066  6.75 horsepower engine             No, I am not taking any pictures of the old thing.

21 inch cut,  , front wheel drive, has no throttle. starts wide open. I have had no problems with this mower  except maintenance required replacing the (always spinning ) front wheels twice. They are around $60  each at Sears , but I got  2 for $12    on e-bay ,twice. I have changed the oil every year, use the Craftsman 30 oil. and have changed the sparkplug  a few times.

I have been looking at some the new offerings and would like to  have an opinion on front or rear wheel drive. I've never used a rwd .

I looked at a Troy built at Can Tire yesterday.  It is rwd , has large rear  wheels, a Honda 160 cc engine,  Electric start with a battery on board, all 4 wheels can be adjusted for cutting height with  one control lever.   I think it is 21 inch , has left and right control levers to adjust ground speed.     It is priced at $599.99    I will get them  to move it down from the rack , the next time that I am in the store, so I can get a better look at it.     Sears are just getting in their new models  so will look at them soon.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2011 by royster

Replies: 27 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Glove

Re: Time for a new lawnmower?,Snapper vs Honda
Reply #27   Jun 17, 2011 3:50 pm
HRX is a nice mower but handling is lousy due to the handle length. I have a Snapper High Vac in my shed that gave me nothing but issues, 2nd one in 10 years so I opted for the Honda.

Good;

Starts 10X better than the Snapper but it is new..

Cut's better

Quieter

Bad;

Bag on Snapper is easier to handle, empty,  but chute design clogs. Honda doesnt catch all grass in bag. (even)

Snapper much easier to handle, go around objects, etc..much lighter..

Replies: 27 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42