Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tempting...so tempting

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7

Tempting...so tempting
Original Message   Apr 12, 2011 11:59 pm
This is on CL near me and in good condition.   $125 will buy it...maybe less.   I don't "need" it but there's something about those channel-steel handles that I fine appealing. 

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Re: Tempting...so tempting
Reply #11   Apr 13, 2011 6:19 pm
I always said that I am a generator and my wife is the voltage regulator. I bought that  single stage Craftsman  last month  even though  my  ( Husqvarna built)  Craftsman  2 stage  was only a month old.  My wife said," You just bought a new snowblower" . I explained that the single stage was for the small storms, I could easily  get it up  on the deck to clear the snow away, no more shovelling the deck.  "Yes ,she said," I shovelled it off a few times myself and it was quite a chore".  I was still not  sure that she approved,   but I should have stopped there.......But then I   showed her the price, $199.00 for the   never sold   2009 model,  Saved $400. . "That is good , she said , " Now give me the $400 that you didn't  have to spend". ........... I gave it to her.   But I knew that it wasn't a money issue  , just the fact that got a joke on me. 

Henry Ford (the first one) had a wife that was continually changing their house around with new  furniture and renovations . Money wasn't a problem here either, but he didn't really approve of her actions , but summed it up by saying, "Peace at any price".

This message was modified Apr 14, 2011 by royster

MN_Runner

Reply #12   Apr 13, 2011 7:50 pm
paul7,

Let us be honest here,  it is never about the money but everything is about the obsession.  It is fun to have a collection of OPEs and once you start, it is hard to stop.  Just have to be careful about collecting old vs. vintage (old but has some value).   Borat is a great example as he bought three SS within last three months, which he cannot use then all at the same time.  Of course, I have my obession with bikes as I have five of them which I cannot use them at the same time.  The more you look at the CL or eBay, you are inclined to buy another and another ...

borat

Reply #13   Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm
Funny you mentioned me and the SS machines. 

I just got back from picking up three 1970's Lawn Boy mowers.  Two look complete, one is missing the carb and reed block.  I needed one decent unit for parts in case I have problems with the LB I'm presently using.  When the guy took my offer of $40.00 for all three, I couldn't refuse.   I mean after all, for a bit over $13.00 each?  Come on....   The wheels, decks and mufflers are all very sound.   I got a gooooood deal here.   So, now I have a project to see if I can get a couple of them running.  
MN_Runner

Reply #14   Apr 13, 2011 8:18 pm
Borat,

Thank you for your honest description and thought process.  I rest my hypothesis.

borat

Reply #15   Apr 13, 2011 8:34 pm
Yeah............. I know I have a two cycle problem.  

Particularly old two cycle machines that might be one of the finest example of functionality, simplicity, quality and durability in the history of motorized lawn mowers.   These old Lawn Boys are  very proud achievements of American know-how, quality of design and manufacture.   These lowly little machines are a testament to what the USA  used to be about.   They represent a period of time when pride and craftsmanship mattered.  Sure they're just lawn mowers.   But if they're not the best lawn mower ever built, they're certainly up there with the best of them.

I'll probably resurrect a couple of them and find them good homes and keep one for parts.
Paul7

Reply #16   Apr 14, 2011 11:36 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
paul7,

Let us be honest here,  it is never about the money but everything is about the obsessionIt is fun to have a collection of OPEs and once you start, it is hard to stop.  Just have to be careful about collecting old vs. vintage (old but has some value).   Borat is a great example as he bought three SS within last three months, which he cannot use then all at the same time.  Of course, I have my obession with bikes as I have five of them which I cannot use them at the same time.  The more you look at the CL or eBay, you are inclined to buy another and another ...

Runner,  I considered your hypothesis but I have to reject it. 

You see, I can quit anytime I want to. 

I have excellent will-power so I can quit.  Anytime I want.

Really, I can...anytime I want to. Really.

I just don't want to...LOL.
MN_Runner

Reply #17   Apr 15, 2011 7:06 am
Paul,

Of course, I think you have a full control of the situation.  I am honored that you even considered my hypothesis and decided to accept the null hypothesis. For those of us with some form of OPE addiction and obsession may need OPE Anonymous Support.  I will start the frist meeting at the Minneapolis Library.  Hopefully I have a support group.

FrankMA

Reply #18   Apr 15, 2011 7:24 am
MN_Runner wrote:
Paul,

Of course, I think you have a full control of the situation.  I am honored that you even considered my hypothesis and decided to accept the null hypothesis. For those of us with some form of OPE addiction and obsession may need OPE Anonymous Support.  I will start the frist meeting at the Minneapolis Library.  Hopefully I have a support group.

Hi, my name is Paul7 and I'm a......

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #19   Apr 15, 2011 9:52 am
Paul7 wrote:

Sounds like good dose of self empowerment mixed in with denial.  Sometimes can be can be misdiagnosed as procrastination. 

So you going to buy that snowblower?  With all that stuff you already got in the shed, I'm pretty sure the missus is not going to notice you got another piece.

We're here to help with the post purchase problems.  :)
This message was modified Apr 15, 2011 by aa335
Bill_H

Reply #20   Apr 15, 2011 9:09 pm
Paul7 wrote:

Quitting is easy. I've done it dozens of times ...

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42