Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is Yamaha YS928 Underpowered?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MN_Runner

Is Yamaha YS928 Underpowered?
Original Message   Jan 6, 2011 6:15 pm
I had some fun looking at Honda Japan and saw the specifications for HS970i.  It uses GX340 instead of GX270 (HS928, HS970).  The HS970i is a heavy and strong machine and every bit as beautiful as the BLUE machine.  I am just wondering if Honda uses 340CC for that model, why is YS928 only using 250CC engine?  100CC is a huge difference.  Too me, Yamaha YS928 may be underpowered. 
Replies: 14 - 23 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Is Yamaha YS928 Underpowered?
Reply #14   Jan 7, 2011 11:11 pm
First time I've seen one of these pictures up close.  Are those rubber engine mounts? 
Paul7

Reply #15   Jan 8, 2011 12:01 am
Sorry if this has been posted before but in case not here's the link to the Yamaha Canadian pdf brochure.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p30366721/2011_sb_en.pdf

I have to admit being a little enamoured by these blue machines.  Except for a small generator I never owned a Yamaha product but that generator was the definition of "whisper quiet".   
Underdog

Reply #16   Jan 8, 2011 9:29 am
I don't think we are going to know a whole lot about the new Yamahas until someone purchased one and starts taking it apart. I would like to see a service manual.
This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by Underdog

MN_Runner

Reply #17   Jan 8, 2011 9:38 am
Maybe Steve (our official spokesperson) could call Yamaha and formally ask for a service manual.  Better yet, ask if Steve could get a demo for a year and provide a full review of the snowblower in return.
aa335

Reply #18   Jan 8, 2011 9:42 am
MN_Runner wrote:
Maybe Steve (our official spokesperson) could call Yamaha and formally ask for a service manual.  Better yet, ask if Steve could get a demo for a year and provide a full review of the snowblower in return.

Steve maybe on Toro's payroll already so that may not work out. 
borat

Reply #19   Jan 8, 2011 10:24 am
MN_Runner wrote:

Good luck getting a service manual from Yamaha. 

I bought a nice used 2005 8 h.p. outboard motor the other day to put on my small boat at camp for my neighbour's kids to use.  I've been doing some work on it the last few days and wanted to pull the bottom end to check the impeller.  So I searched for a manual.  Yamaha will allow you to view their Owner's manual online but not the service manual.  If you want to see that, be prepared to shell out $87.00 to get a pdf. of the Service Manual.  

If you want a snowblower manual, $82.95 CAD will get you one.    Personally, I think that's pretty cheesy for Yamaha to charge for an operator's manual and the price they charge for a pdf. service manual is about four times too much.  Yahama have great machines but lousy public relations....
Steve_Cebu

Reply #20   Jan 8, 2011 11:27 am
MN_Runner wrote:

Heh, no chance of that happening I did read that trouts2 said the manuals are expensive. So yes, I can get one but I'd have to pay for it. Companies like Yamaha generally will not let you demo a product like that unless you are a well established company that provides reviews of snowblower products. So they might IF they sold in the US and you have to be the snowblower equivilant of Edmunds.com.

@aa335

Work for Toro, are they hiring?

Actually Toro makes a great product and since they don't get mentioned enough I just want people in the forum to know that Toro is every bit as good a machine as Honda, Ariens and Simplicity. Better in some ways even.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Underdog

Reply #21   Jan 8, 2011 11:38 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Actually Toro makes a great product and since they don't get mentioned enough I just want people in the forum to know that Toro is every bit as good a machine as Honda, Ariens and Simplicity. Better in some ways even.

This is true, other than the single stage blowers we don't hear as much about the Toro blowers.  Maybe their owners never have issues and don't need to come here.
This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by Underdog

Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Jan 8, 2011 12:07 pm
Underdog wrote:
This is true, other than the single stage blowers we don't hear as much about the Toro blowers.  Maybe their owners never have issued and don't need to come here.

That might be true. Toro seems to be the kind of snowblower people buy, use and not think about. Kind of like a Honda car. I have 2 Hondas now and have had many in the past. I honestly don't think much about how well they do their job, it's seemless. You start it up on 1 pull blow the snow with no drama, the quick chute with joystick is brilliant. Then I put it away. Maintainance is minimal and it just plain works. You also don't hear about Toro owners modding their equipment like you do with other brands like Ariens. Ariens seems to be the Hot rodders snowblower of choice.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
trouts2

Reply #23   Jan 8, 2011 5:32 pm
aa335>>Are those rubber engine mounts?

They are motor mounts.  The engine sits off the base of the tractor about 1/2 inch.  It was a big surprise when I first looked under there to check for a gas tank vibration.  The motor mount support base plate was broken so I replaced it.  That was on a YS828WA (wheeled) which I sold this summer and probaby a mistake to sell it.  828's are hard to come by.

Underdog:>>employed a gear reduction and drove the blower off the cam shafts.

After owning 4 YS624's and an 828 I never noticed the PTO and stubby crank end.   Thanks for pointing that out. 

Replies: 14 - 23 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42