Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Original Message   Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am
I moved to a new house, top of a hill, with farm land across from my driveway.

This is our second winter, and my MTD is not up to the task of clearing the packed snow that blows into my yard, sometimes daily.

I have been looking for a couple weeks, and had made up my mind to get the Honda. I had been to the Yamaha dealer previously, but they were not willing to deal.

Well today a new twist, I went back to Yamaha, and was offered the YS928J for the same price as the HS928TC.

Specs are very similar, with some different features. The Honda has full Joystick control on the chute, and is 100 lbs lighter.

The Yamaha has plastic coated chute, manual up/down. Has no shear pins, which may be a bonus, if the 'Shock Protection' works correctly. Also the Yamaha is quiter.

I have been reviewing this site, however, there is limited information on the Yamahas, likely because they just came back to Canada in 2009 (15 year Hiatus) and I am not sure if they are available in the U.S.

Has anyone out there used these models? Can you offer an Opinion?

This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by rubinew
Replies: 61 - 70 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Jake08

Re: Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Reply #61   Jan 2, 2011 1:29 pm
Hey Rubinew,

Sounds like a snow fence positioned back in the field a bit could eliminate some of those 4 foot, hard packed drifts. Is that an option? Might make life easier in general.
rubinew

Reply #62   Jan 2, 2011 1:52 pm
Jake08 wrote:
Hey Rubinew,

Sounds like a snow fence positioned back in the field a bit could eliminate some of those 4 foot, hard packed drifts. Is that an option? Might make life easier in general.

The town runs a snow fence, but they stop short, which is strange because the road continues to the water plant.

Me and a neighbour are going to extend it next year, if we have to do it ourselves!

But when the snow blows for 5 days straight at 40 - 70 kms, the fence only stops so much :-)

rubinew

Reply #63   Jan 6, 2011 9:30 pm
Just an update:

It appears the YS928J is a liitle hard to get right now!!!  Guess it makes sense, we had record snow fall in November.

Anyways, the Dealer has been told by Yamaha that they have nothing for him till early February. He is calling other Dealers in Alberta, Manitoba, etc, to check for inventory.

I had to pick a model that seems to be very popular in Saskatchewan this year

I hope to have better news early next week...

Steve_Cebu

Reply #64   Jan 7, 2011 12:40 am
rubinew wrote:
Just an update:

It appears the YS928J is a liitle hard to get right now!!!  Guess it makes sense, we had record snow fall in November.

Anyways, the Dealer has been told by Yamaha that they have nothing for him till early February. He is calling other Dealers in Alberta, Manitoba, etc, to check for inventory.

I had to pick a model that seems to be very popular in Saskatchewan this year

I hope to have better news early next week...

Wow, I sure hope you can get one this year! Still it's better to get exactly what you want rather than have buyers remorse getting what you don't really want.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Paul7

Reply #65   Jan 7, 2011 1:34 am
If these links work here's videos of the Yamaha's in action.  From their Japanese site they also claim that each model is designed to be operated continuously for two hours on a tank of gas.  The site also notes that the warranty also provides for a free replacement machine is yours in stolen within the first year of purchase.  I'm serious.  Now that's a warranty!

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0006.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0002.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0010.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0009.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0011.html

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/snowthrower/detail/popup/0014.html
rubinew

Reply #66   Jan 11, 2011 10:45 am
Ok,

So it turns out the Yamaha Dealer in Regina won't see any till mid February, and even then, no promises.

I did find one YS928J in Saskatoon, last one in the Province.

As Luck would have it, I have a Service Call in Saskatoon today!! 

So I am heading up there now!  I will update tonight!!

aa335

Reply #67   Jan 11, 2011 10:58 am
rubinew wrote:
Ok,

So it turns out the Yamaha Dealer in Regina won't see any till mid February, and even then, no promises.

I did find one YS928J in Saskatoon, last one in the Province.

As Luck would have it, I have a Service Call in Saskatoon today!! 

So I am heading up there now!  I will update tonight!!

I know it's tempting to score a baby blue but isn't it late in the season? Inventory is scarce and you are at the mercy of the dealer, plus chasing down remains. Wouldn't it be better to put in an order or deposit for next production delivery. Just throwing it out there for thoughts.
MN_Runner

Reply #68   Jan 11, 2011 7:49 pm
If he gets the BLUE now, he may have some chance to use it. The winter is not over until May.  He got three solid months to use it.
Underdog

Reply #69   Jan 11, 2011 10:03 pm
Rubinew, let nothing stand between you and your destiny. We wannabees are rooting for you.  You may be the first the first American to do this. You wouldn't let us down? Deprive us of this simple joy (al be it vicariously)?  Its a long winter here.  What else do we have to do? Look at the smile on this guy's face, does he look like he has any regrets:

This message was modified Jan 11, 2011 by Underdog

Steve_Cebu

Reply #70   Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm
Underdog wrote:
Rubinew, let nothing stand between you and your destiny. We wannabees are rooting for you.  You may be the first the first American to do this. You wouldn't let us down? Deprive us of this simple joy (al be it vicariously)?  Its a long winter here.  What else do we have to do? Look at the smile on this guy's face, does he look like he has any regrets:

Actually he wouldn't be the first American to buy one as he's Canadian.

Still I'm hoping he gets one.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 61 - 70 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42