Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Original Message   Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am
I moved to a new house, top of a hill, with farm land across from my driveway.

This is our second winter, and my MTD is not up to the task of clearing the packed snow that blows into my yard, sometimes daily.

I have been looking for a couple weeks, and had made up my mind to get the Honda. I had been to the Yamaha dealer previously, but they were not willing to deal.

Well today a new twist, I went back to Yamaha, and was offered the YS928J for the same price as the HS928TC.

Specs are very similar, with some different features. The Honda has full Joystick control on the chute, and is 100 lbs lighter.

The Yamaha has plastic coated chute, manual up/down. Has no shear pins, which may be a bonus, if the 'Shock Protection' works correctly. Also the Yamaha is quiter.

I have been reviewing this site, however, there is limited information on the Yamahas, likely because they just came back to Canada in 2009 (15 year Hiatus) and I am not sure if they are available in the U.S.

Has anyone out there used these models? Can you offer an Opinion?

This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by rubinew
Replies: 71 - 80 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
rubinew

Re: Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Reply #71   Jan 11, 2011 11:11 pm
Well I made the PLUNGE!!!!!!

I Purchased the YS928J from Saskatoon, and it is one beautifull beast! Wow.

I took it for a quick test run, chewed into the side drifts a couple times, made a few turns.

It will take some getting used too, but does this thing dig, and eat, WOW.  I will have to adjust the skids a touch, I noticed I took some of the paint of the tips of the Auger, so it must just be licking the pavement when tilted forward. The Auger on Yamaha does extend slightly past the sides and bottom of the housing.

It is -24C tonight, so a very short test run. I only took a couple quick pics with my phone, will take better pics with a real camera, when I have more time to play!

This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by rubinew
rubinew

Reply #72   Jan 11, 2011 11:13 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
If he gets the BLUE now, he may have some chance to use it. The winter is not over until May.  He got three solid months to use it.

CORRECT!!!

In Fact they are predicting 2-4 cm snow for tomorrow, and 5-10 cm for Thursday. Also the Wind will pick up, so I think I will get lots of use out of this Beast!

This message was modified Jan 11, 2011 by rubinew
Paul7

Reply #73   Jan 11, 2011 11:25 pm
Congrats and good luck with your Yamaha.  That's one pretty snow blower.  I think that I have BLUE envy.  I mean seriously if the Playmate of the Year was operating that machine wearing a bikini...I'm afraid to admit that I'd be staring a the Yamaha. 
aa335

Reply #74   Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm
Rubinew,

Congrats.  Very nice machine.  Hope to see some videos of it in action.  No need for Playmate of the Year in a bikini.  I just want to see the Yamaha. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #75   Jan 12, 2011 1:32 am
rubinew wrote:
Well I made the PLUNGE!!!!!!

I Purchased the YS928J from Saskatoon, and it is one beautifull beast! Wow.

I took it for a quick test run, chewed into the side drifts a couple times, made a few turns.

It will take some getting used too, but does this thing dig, and eat, WOW.  I will have to adjust the skids a touch, I noticed I took some of the paint of the tips of the Auger, so it must just be licking the pavement when tilted forward. The Auger on Yamaha does extend slightly past the sides and bottom of the housing.

It is -24C tonight, so a very short test run. I only took a couple quick pics with my phone, will take better pics with a real camera, when I have more time to play!

Congratulations! Great looking machine you have there. Good for a lifetime. I adjusted my skids after I had gotten mine home. Munching that snow will be a breeze now.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Underdog

Reply #76   Jan 12, 2011 6:37 am
I'm speechless. Choked with emotion. There are tears falling from my eyes. You never let us down Rubinew.  I would be curled up sleeping next to this blue thing in the garage (if my spouse found out  I  did this).  I look forward to hearing more.  Did you have any trouble getting it home?
This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by Underdog

MN_Runner

Reply #77   Jan 12, 2011 6:54 am
rubinew,

Congrats on your great purchase.  I wish you (just your driveway only) a very long and snowy winter until May 1.  Look forward to hearing more from you.

trouts2

Reply #78   Jan 12, 2011 7:21 am
rubinew, it would be nice if you can post over the season what you think about the machine and it's performance.  

I've had and used YS624s tracks and 828 wheeled machines and think they are the best snowblowers available and worthy of their price.

If you get a manual with exploded view please post the views of the tractor section and auger gearbox.  I can't find any drawings online. 

FrankMA

Reply #79   Jan 12, 2011 7:23 am
Underdog wrote:
I'm speechless. Choked with emotion. There are tears falling from my eyes. You never let us down Rubinew.  I would be curled up sleeping next to this blue thing in the garage (if my spouse found out  I  did this).  I look forward to hearing more.  Did you have any trouble getting it home?

This is kind of like the end of a good campy type movie when the guy gets the girl, the dog is happy, the sun is shining and all is right with the world!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
rubinew

Reply #80   Jan 12, 2011 9:43 am
trouts2 wrote:
rubinew, it would be nice if you can post over the season what you think about the machine and it's performance.  

I've had and used YS624s tracks and 828 wheeled machines and think they are the best snowblowers available and worthy of their price.

If you get a manual with exploded view please post the views of the tractor section and auger gearbox.  I can't find any drawings online. 

I will definately be updating throughout the season

I will even post a review when I have the time.

No real exploded views in manual, I will post what there is!

Replies: 71 - 80 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42