Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Original Message   Dec 24, 2009 9:23 am
I was at a local Honda dealer yesterday and I was stunned by the prices on their snowblowers. In Canadian dollars, they were: 928 wheels: $3000 928 track: $3400 724 track: $3400 1132 track: $3500 I know they have tracks, hydro tranny, honda engines, etc. but they're at least $1000-1500 more than equivalent toro and ariens models. Is it gold, they re making?
Replies: 202 - 211 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Why are Honda snowblowers so expensive?
Reply #202   Dec 29, 2010 11:18 am
Kubota and a Deere would be my choice for homeowner tractors.  My property doesn't warrant the use of one, and I have no space for it.

Everyone's got a limited lease on this earth.  If it makes you happy and does not harm anyone, make your dream happen. 
FrankMA

Reply #203   Dec 29, 2010 11:26 am
aa335 wrote:
Everyone's got a limited lease on this earth.  If it makes you happy and does not harm anyone, make your dream happen. 

Very well said!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #204   Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am
aa335 wrote:
Kubota and a Deere would be my choice for homeowner tractors.  My property doesn't warrant the use of one, and I have no space for it.

I was talking about a walk behind Kubota snow thrower.  My snow removal requirements don't warrant a bigger machine.   Maybe when I'm too old to handle a walk behind, I'll treat myself to a Kubota!  Right now, I enjoy the exercise.
Bill_H

Reply #205   Dec 29, 2010 3:30 pm
aa335 wrote:
Since the context of this forum focuses on homeowner use and predominantly walk behind type snowblowers, this list is irrelevant.  Deere, Honda, and Yamaha are the only name from above that has a snowblower for homeowner use.

Actually, I have a Case tractor with a 48" PTO-driven blower and a 54" plow for my home. And we can't limit ourselves to homeowner use only, as there are several members here who use them professionally. I doubt many of them are following this thread, as the Honda in the title means they probably just skip over it. I once (falsely, it turns out) assumed this forum was all residential, but I was quickly taken to task by one of the pros who frequents this forum. Anyway, I'm selling my MTD tracked blower and going exclusively to the Case. After 3 knee operations and ankle surgery, I'm just not up to walking behind anymore.

If I could afford it -- and still wanted a walk-behind -- there is a commercial unit that is truly amazing. I'm currently unable to remember the name (or locate the thread where it was mentioned here) but if anyone recalls this unit could you please link it? I searched for 45 minutes and couldn't find it.  I do remember the company's web site had a video of their 2 models going across an empty, recently-plowed parking lot and into and through 3' banks of plowed snow then across a field. They never even slowed down. Sound familiar, anyone?

FYI: Since Case (since merged with International Harvester) no longer makes garden tractors, they sold their lineup to Ingersoll. You can go out today and purchase a new Ingersoll tractor that is essentially identical to the Case tractors of the 60's and 70's. All steel, true hydraulic drive (not hydrostatic) and 5 digit expensive. There's a thriving group of people who have purchased the 30+ year old ones for less than a $1,000 and spent that much again in restoral. For less than the cost of a sheet metal and plastic lawn tractor at a big box store, they now have a unit that will run another 30 years with minor maintenance. The same thing is happening with old  Wheel Horse and Cub Cadet tractors. If anyone is interested (I'm looking at you, Borat and Trouts ) look at http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30 or http://www.caseingersollforum.com

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #206   Dec 29, 2010 3:55 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but I just haven't seen these marketed for homeowner use.  I stand corrected.
This message was modified Dec 29, 2010 by aa335
Bill_H

Reply #207   Dec 29, 2010 4:21 pm
aa335 wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but I just haven't seen these marketed for homeowner use.  I stand corrected.

Understandable, since it's not their primary market - that would be landscapers and property management services and the like. Since a majority of N. Americans live in urban or suburban areas, they wouldn't need them. But not all of us do. For example,  my area is zoned as "5 acre minimum" and private roads are quite common, so I know quite a few people who have plow trucks for personal use. You won't see Fisher or Western plows marketed for residential use either.

I think a good analogy would be Snap-On tools. They don't market to homeowners and it's not easy for a homeowner to purchase their products. But I'm sure there are a few people here who have some for personal use. And if you can get them used, you've got a terrific bargain.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #208   Jan 2, 2011 4:34 pm
POST #35 is the beginning of what the Moderators should begin, " INVESTIGATING " because this thread is why I posted the one that explains" Why Honda Snowblowers Aren't Really Expensive "    So Let's you moderators also Lock this thread and the succeeding one, and take it from the beginning.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #209   Mar 5, 2012 9:36 pm
mikiewest wrote:
Part of the high price is for the "legendary" Honda engine and the hydrostatic transmission as opposed to a simple friction disc setup.

I would suggest a  Husqvarna  with the "legendary"  (built in the USA)  Briggs and Stratton engine and the (built in the USA)  Hydro Gear hydrostatic drive   for  many  $'s  less.
This message was modified Mar 5, 2012 by royster

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #210   Mar 5, 2012 10:00 pm
You must be SHI**ING.  Once again you will try to start. 

aa335

Reply #211   Mar 6, 2012 12:02 pm
royster wrote:
 I would suggest a  Husqvarna  with the "legendary"  (built in the USA)  Briggs and Stratton engine and the (built in the USA)  Hydro Gear hydrostatic drive   for  many  $'s  less.

Legendary, built in the USA, cost many $ less....pick two.  No smart businessman is going to let you have all three, not going to happen.    Besides, if it's not expensive, it's not desireable.

Well, I haven't heard anything legendary about Husqvarna except for chainsaws.  Or is it Stihl???
Replies: 202 - 211 of 221Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42