Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repainting a snowblower bucket

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Repainting a snowblower bucket
Original Message   Oct 5, 2010 10:49 pm
I have a 10 year old single stage snowblower that's undergoing a full restoration this winter. I got the snowblower bucket disassembled from the chassis and engine. The bucket has been completely stripped down to bare metal. I want good adhesion and abrasion resistance and I'm willing to put in the time and money to get the best paint job that I can do myself without sending out.

What do you guys recommend for primer and paint? Any preparation techniques in addition to stripping down to bare metal and roughing up the surface?
Replies: 20 - 29 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DavidNJ

Re: Repainting a snowblower bucket
Reply #20   Oct 14, 2010 4:23 am
Bill_H wrote:
Don't powder coat it!

I'm currently restoring a 48" Case Snocaster that will be my primary snow removal machine. After disassembly, I took a look at the inside of the bucket and decided I would not be able to do a really good job with a wirebrush, so last week I took it to a local guy who powder coats professionally, as my compressor is too small. He sandblasts most things before powder coating and has all the equipment for that.

We were discussing the type of finish I should use to get maximum durability and rust protection. He mentioned that he had powder coated a plow for a friend and after 3 years it looked horrible. Powder coat sounds great, it's very hard and very smooth, but it does not penetrate seams at all. What happens is you get a little bit of water in a seam or a scratch elsewhere and you get rust underneath the powder coat, which then peels off. He told me to not even ask him to powder coat it. Since he's a pro, I took him at his word. That night I was googling to see what else I could do and by chance happened across a discussion on an auto body forum where a guy tried having a frame powder coated as part of a restoral project. His story of the powder coat failure matched just what the pro had told me. Powder coating is great but not for everything.

Sandblast it, wirebrush if you can't, clean it, then treat the rust with a phosphoric acid product, then use an epoxy primer. Warning: it's not cheap and you need a spray gun. Then cover with a few coats of enamel with hardener added.

Since I don't have a spray gun and I'm stuck with rattle cans, the epoxy is out. I'll use self etching then hi fill to smooth out the little pits, and rattle can enamel. I'm doing my auger and bucket the same color so I can touch up any scratches as they appear. I don't want to go through this whole process again.

That was the type of claim made by POR (paint over rust) for auto chassis. It is very common on low-moderate cost restorations (I don't really know the details of high end restorations).
aa335

Reply #21   Oct 14, 2010 1:13 pm
Looks like I'm leaning towards the epoxy primer and paint option.  Powder coating is tough, but I am concerned about the issues Bill_H just brought up and also proper masking of areas that I don't the powder coating to cover.

Can epoxy paint applied with a brush or foam brush?  I don't want to buy spray painting equipment for this one off project.
chefwong

Reply #22   Oct 27, 2010 10:46 pm
Dare I ask....why go all out when it will just get chipped anyway ? The bottom does scrape no. I would prime, paint, paint and then clear. Maybe wetsand and add some Weatherpruf just to top things off. When the season is over, the bottom where there is minor scrapes, just scuff, sand, prime and touch up spray. I get the whole resto. thing but the duty of a SB will inevitably get chips. FWIW, a decent powdercoater will be able to mask what you want...
aa335

Reply #23   Oct 27, 2010 11:13 pm
The old girl is going into retirement as a garage queen, only to come out on nice warm days to blow powder snow.  No salt, no sand, no slush, just fresh fallen pure snow. 

There will be a younger, better, and faster one to take on her duty.   I just couldn't bear to let the old girl rust, she's going to age gracefully.

That's my story and sticking with it. 
This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by aa335
starwarrior

Reply #24   Nov 3, 2010 2:28 pm
Hey There

Imron is an epoxy paint made by Dupont and is what airplanes are painted with.

The stuff  is tough as nails as long as you prep correctly and is readily available at pretty much any automotive paint supply.

The only caviat is once you mix it you have to use it up in about an hour because it dries exactly like a two part epoxy.

Also you need a mask that takes in outside air. You can't inhale this stuff  when you are spraying. It will kill ya. 

Starwarrior

aa335

Reply #25   Nov 3, 2010 4:23 pm
How is this applied?  Brush or spray?
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #26   Nov 4, 2010 12:15 am
I am also looking at a tough product to use to repaint my bucket, but this stuff sounds real nasty and not to be used casually unless you take a lot of precautions. Read what this fellow has to say.

http://www.bronkalla.com/upkeep/spray_imron.htm

A quick look at the MSDS for Imron on the Dupont site reinforces what he says.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
starwarrior

Reply #27   Nov 4, 2010 8:50 am
OK, I specifically stated spray in my comment so I am getting  the impression that you did not read the entire message.

Imron is serious stuff and definately not for the novice painter. The safety precautions are extremely important.

If you accidentally  breathe the overspray it will epoxy your lungs.

My suggestion is to take your item to a local auto body shop and have it painted.

A good shop will have know how to apply Imron and you will not hurt yourself or anyone else in the process.

They don't have too many colors to choose from because it is very special purpose paint but it will wear like iron.

This message was modified Nov 4, 2010 by starwarrior
aa335

Reply #28   Nov 4, 2010 9:07 am
starwarrior wrote:
OK, I specifically stated spray in my comment so I am getting  the impression that you did not read the entire message.

Yes, read the entire message.  I was in a hurry and just glossed through that one word about spray. 

I just asking if it can be applied by other method in addition to spray.

Anyways, this stuff sounds serious, I'm not going to attempt to do it at home.  Not worth all the risk.  Thanks for the info though.
jimbedro

Reply #29   Nov 4, 2010 8:19 pm
Imron is polyurethane not epoxy. itisnot quite as hard but equally as hazardoues. it contains isocynates which are a form of cynanide. You need a full suit with an air supply t oprotect yourself.
Replies: 20 - 29 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42