Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repainting a snowblower bucket

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Repainting a snowblower bucket
Original Message   Oct 5, 2010 10:49 pm
I have a 10 year old single stage snowblower that's undergoing a full restoration this winter. I got the snowblower bucket disassembled from the chassis and engine. The bucket has been completely stripped down to bare metal. I want good adhesion and abrasion resistance and I'm willing to put in the time and money to get the best paint job that I can do myself without sending out.

What do you guys recommend for primer and paint? Any preparation techniques in addition to stripping down to bare metal and roughing up the surface?
Replies: 10 - 19 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Repainting a snowblower bucket
Reply #10   Oct 7, 2010 9:44 am
JimmyM wrote:
Try Krylon Contractor Primer and Farm and Implement paint.

I know you asked about paints, but powder coating would be the best finish. You could try calling around to different coating shops. See how much it would cost to have them just add your parts to a batch of work they're already doing if an exact color is not all that important.

Yeah, a few guys at work also recommend powder coating as the ultimate durable finish.  I'll check that out.
friiy

Reply #11   Oct 8, 2010 10:47 am
 I found a "Epoxy Appliance"  paint for stoves and such at home Depot ...  They only had black and White,  but is sure was tuff stuff..(nice gloss too)

Just a note..... we paint and cure things at work from time to time,  I recommed a heat lamp (french fry lamp)  for getting things done in a timely manner. 

Friiy

aa335

Reply #12   Oct 8, 2010 2:20 pm
DavidNJ wrote:
There is powder coating and epoxy enamels. The latter are used on show and antique car chassis.

http://www.por15.com/Single-Part-Topcoats/products/4/

This stuff looks good.  It's expensive, though.   Although  I'm not going to be using much paint so it may be okay.

I like the Hardnose and Metal Mask versions.
aa335

Reply #13   Oct 8, 2010 2:27 pm
friiy wrote:
 I found a "Epoxy Appliance"  paint for stoves and such at home Depot ...  They only had black and White,  but is sure was tuff stuff..(nice gloss too)

Just a note..... we paint and cure things at work from time to time,  I recommed a heat lamp (french fry lamp)  for getting things done in a timely manner. 

Friiy

Black is all I need.  Is this a brush on or spray can?
friiy

Reply #14   Oct 8, 2010 5:59 pm
rattle can......

Friiy

whitetail

Reply #15   Oct 9, 2010 11:38 am
One of the best choices is a good self etching primer.can be purchased in auto store and rattle can too.Then top coat .
bus708

Reply #16   Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm
I would go to your local automotive store. They have everthing you need. Strippers, Rust preventing primer, fill primer, epoxy paint, and clear coat. The more clear you put on the better. If you hit a rock it will chip the primer not your paint. A good dealer wiil show you how to mix  and apply everthing. if you want to strip it down to metal you can go to Habor Freight and get a cheap sand blaster. You can get a spray gun too .
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #17   Oct 11, 2010 9:13 am
I've had good results over the years using Tremclad rust paint. Usually available in a lot of colors. If my wife isn't looking, I'll also slip parts into the oven to bake. It seems to produce a smoother harder surface.  My goal is to remove as much rust as possible and not worry about the smoothness of the final finish except for the inside of the auger housing, where I will spend a bit more time smoothing.

I have also used muriatic acid. That stuff eats rust for breakfast. BUT, be very careful to use all the safety equipment, gloves, old clothes, eye & breathing protection. I usually use it outdoors with a fan to blow the fumes away. You also need to get some primer on asap as things will start to rust almost right away. Oh yeah, store the tightly closed acid container inside another tightly closed container. The fumes from the acid can cause rust on your tools and other exposed metal stored in the same room.

Powder coating would be the way to go, I've had experience trying to sand powder coated parts, very tough stuff.

Cheers
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
aa335

Reply #18   Oct 11, 2010 1:21 pm
whitetail wrote:
One of the best choices is a good self etching primer.can be purchased in auto store and rattle can too.Then top coat .

I have stripped the paint down to bare metal with a wire brush.  There were very little surface rust, no pitting, and I have removed all rust.   Would the etching primer improve adhesion?
This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by aa335
Bill_H

Reply #19   Oct 14, 2010 1:07 am
Don't powder coat it!

I'm currently restoring a 48" Case Snocaster that will be my primary snow removal machine. After disassembly, I took a look at the inside of the bucket and decided I would not be able to do a really good job with a wirebrush, so last week I took it to a local guy who powder coats professionally, as my compressor is too small. He sandblasts most things before powder coating and has all the equipment for that.

We were discussing the type of finish I should use to get maximum durability and rust protection. He mentioned that he had powder coated a plow for a friend and after 3 years it looked horrible. Powder coat sounds great, it's very hard and very smooth, but it does not penetrate seams at all. What happens is you get a little bit of water in a seam or a scratch elsewhere and you get rust underneath the powder coat, which then peels off. He told me to not even ask him to powder coat it. Since he's a pro, I took him at his word. That night I was googling to see what else I could do and by chance happened across a discussion on an auto body forum where a guy tried having a frame powder coated as part of a restoral project. His story of the powder coat failure matched just what the pro had told me. Powder coating is great but not for everything.

Sandblast it, wirebrush if you can't, clean it, then treat the rust with a phosphoric acid product, then use an epoxy primer. Warning: it's not cheap and you need a spray gun. Then cover with a few coats of enamel with hardener added.

Since I don't have a spray gun and I'm stuck with rattle cans, the epoxy is out. I'll use self etching then hi fill to smooth out the little pits, and rattle can enamel. I'm doing my auger and bucket the same color so I can touch up any scratches as they appear. I don't want to go through this whole process again.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 10 - 19 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42