Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repainting a snowblower bucket

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Repainting a snowblower bucket
Original Message   Oct 5, 2010 10:49 pm
I have a 10 year old single stage snowblower that's undergoing a full restoration this winter. I got the snowblower bucket disassembled from the chassis and engine. The bucket has been completely stripped down to bare metal. I want good adhesion and abrasion resistance and I'm willing to put in the time and money to get the best paint job that I can do myself without sending out.

What do you guys recommend for primer and paint? Any preparation techniques in addition to stripping down to bare metal and roughing up the surface?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 68NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: Repainting a snowblower bucket
Reply #1   Oct 6, 2010 8:00 am

Old 80's large frame Snapper, 10hp 30 inch with one of the industries best cast iron gearboxes, dual running lights, wide tires and and as easy to handle as any current new machine.  Bucket and augers painted.   All bushings and bearings replaced.  It has dash mounted hood and chute controls but lacks auger clutch locking with the drive clutch.  Has a very strong motor and tosses very well with the deere chute.  Machine cost $30 and about $150 in parts.  It's good for another 20 years and the engine probably 10.  It would be a perfect match for any length long driveway. 

Rustoleum primer and paint.  I go two coats of primer and 2-4 on paint.  The two primer are for coverage and some extra protection.  The 2-4 paint is because the reds and oranges do not mask the primer well and require a few coats to hide it.  It’s also for a little added protection. 

Why Rustoleum?  It’s available in lots of colors, cheap and works.  It’s not durable like baked on paint or whatever Ariens used on it’s 70’s machines.  One thing I’d like to try is car clear on top of Rustoleum. 

Depending on what’s painted and how bad or smooth the surface is I use brushed on paint or cans of spray.  It usually works out that the primer and first color coats are brushed on and the last coats sprayed after a very light sanding. 

Getting a paint job to look like a car fender is not possible without a lot of work, the same it would take on a car but since it’s a snowblower I don’t put in too much effort.  When the job is done it looks ok from a distance but up close a hack job.  After one or two times out clearing snow the slight buildup of dried dirt makes the machine looks normal and much better.

For surface prep I get the surface sort of smooth depending on the rust level.  For pocked areas I don’t sand or grind them out.   Various rust preventers are used in hopes they will neutralize the embedded rust.   I’ve had good luck with these:

Evapo-Rust from Harbor Freight.

Rustoleum Rust Reformer, available anywhere.

Navel Jelly, available anywhere.

Must For Rust, available from Home Depot.  They used to carry a decent size hand spray plastic bottle at an ok price but stopped carrying it. 

The rust preventers work about the same with slight differences depending on the rust and type of metal.  They may have to be applied several times with wire brushing.  Again, depending on the type of metal and rust the result can be a gray metal finish, a hard blackened surface or a white coat.  The gray and blackened surfaces are left as is.  The black is a hardened protective coat.  The white will be powder or sometimes very hard.  It can be brushed off.  It’s not required to get all the white off 100% as it can be painted over and bond with the paint. 

The result does not provide great protection from bumps and banging like original paint can take.  I’ve done a lot of touch-up on buckets and a number of full buckets.  The paint does stay on and not lift, at least so far.  I’ve done over a few, sold them and have kept in email contact with the buyers to see how things went.  So far after three seasons the paint has stayed on and looks good.  One machine was a 7hp Simplicity 22 inch that clears a three tenement in Boston.  He stores the machine in the cellar so had to go with a smaller bucket. The machine had great external paint but the bucket inside was nasty so the bucket inside got done.  The drive is a long one car wide that opens in the back of to a fairly big parking lot for the tenants.  It gets a lot of use each storm so a good workout for the paint. 

For me the key for doing this is

1.      Putting up with a non-car like finish as it’s too much work.

2.      Effectiveness of the rust neutralizers.  

Getting a can of car paint is out as it’s very expensive to have a batch mixed up.  The min quantity was a gallon.   I tried Ariens and Toro factory spray cans but they don’t match anything.  With Rustoleum you can get a few quart cans that are close and mix to get a match.  MTD red and Ariens orange have both changed their colors over the years.   The machines also change color over time.  

iLikeOrange

Reply #2   Oct 6, 2010 9:07 am
One technique that I got from a painter for building multiple coats is to apply two coats in succession "wet on wet" meaning apply the second coat while the first is tacky . Let those dry then sand between coats as you normally would. Don't get to crazy with the # of coats as this may be problematic.

I do see some durabilty issues here but good luck.

O

aa335

Reply #3   Oct 7, 2010 2:10 am
What's the benefit of this technique? I don't see it how it makes the paint finish better, or better adhesion.
DavidNJ

Reply #4   Oct 7, 2010 2:59 am
You don't like Krylon?

I wire brushed mine before I painted using a drill and angle grinder. If I had a sand blasting booth I would have used it. I forget the number of coats, but I thought it came out rather well. It was thicker than the stock paint, but pretty smooth and shiney.

When working on car bodies you use primers with high solids to build up surfaces (e.g. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/products/show_product.cfm?product=P50)  But as trout2 said, you aren't going to spray a light primer dusting on a dark primer and block sand, fill, and do it again. It is a snow blower not a show car.

aa335

Reply #5   Oct 7, 2010 3:05 am
Paint finish is secondary. I was looking for durable paint that can take the abrasion of the snow, sand, and the rotating paddles. The original paint was worn off inside the bucket.
DavidNJ

Reply #6   Oct 7, 2010 4:04 am
There is powder coating and epoxy enamels. The latter are used on show and antique car chassis.

http://www.por15.com/Single-Part-Topcoats/products/4/

This message was modified Oct 7, 2010 by DavidNJ
iLikeOrange

Reply #7   Oct 7, 2010 8:13 am
aa335 wrote:
What's the benefit of this technique? I don't see it how it makes the paint finish better, or better adhesion.

Better adhesion as opposed to sanding where you may miss a spot especially  in a tight area. I use this method  painting/coating anything. If time is ever  a factor it also allows faster build up of multiple coats.

JimmyM

Reply #8   Oct 7, 2010 8:51 am
Try Krylon Contractor Primer and Farm and Implement paint.

I know you asked about paints, but powder coating would be the best finish. You could try calling around to different coating shops. See how much it would cost to have them just add your parts to a batch of work they're already doing if an exact color is not all that important.
aa335

Reply #9   Oct 7, 2010 9:00 am
iLikeOrange wrote:
Better adhesion as opposed to sanding where you may miss a spot especially  in a tight area. I use this method  painting/coating anything. If time is ever  a factor it also allows faster build up of multiple coats.

There's no rush this time.  The snowblower is going to be out commission for the whole winter.  I'm taking it slow to make this paint last another 10 years.  I'm probably going to let it fully cure between coats.
aa335

Reply #10   Oct 7, 2010 9:44 am
JimmyM wrote:
Try Krylon Contractor Primer and Farm and Implement paint.

I know you asked about paints, but powder coating would be the best finish. You could try calling around to different coating shops. See how much it would cost to have them just add your parts to a batch of work they're already doing if an exact color is not all that important.

Yeah, a few guys at work also recommend powder coating as the ultimate durable finish.  I'll check that out.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 68NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42