Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repainting a snowblower bucket

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Repainting a snowblower bucket
Original Message   Oct 5, 2010 10:49 pm
I have a 10 year old single stage snowblower that's undergoing a full restoration this winter. I got the snowblower bucket disassembled from the chassis and engine. The bucket has been completely stripped down to bare metal. I want good adhesion and abrasion resistance and I'm willing to put in the time and money to get the best paint job that I can do myself without sending out.

What do you guys recommend for primer and paint? Any preparation techniques in addition to stripping down to bare metal and roughing up the surface?
Replies: 30 - 39 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Repainting a snowblower bucket
Reply #30   Nov 5, 2010 8:48 am
I would agree, that powder coating is not a good solution for snow blower buckets. It is an extremely durable coating. But power will not get into the corners and seams due to what is called the Faraday Cage Effect. I recently restored the bucket on my Ariens 1032. I used automotive Seam Sealer where ever there was any type of joint or seam. This stuff gives you a very well sealed and water tight joint. You then prime and paint over it. Unless all the sheet metal joints are water tight it doesn't matter what type of coating you apply. Eventually rust will start in the joint and spread underneath the coating popping it off. That can happen in just one season. And salt can accelerate that process.
aa335

Reply #31   Nov 5, 2010 9:40 am
I'm getting impatient with paint stripping process.  The snowblower auger housing is 95% stripped down to bare metal.  There are a few areas and tight corners that needs some manual sanding.  Last night, I was thinking I should start with the primer coat.  Upon reading last post about sealing the seams, I'm reconsidering doing that before laying down first coat of primer.   The problem now is with the metal exposed and nicely sanded, it looks too beautiful to cover it up with paint again, I'm thinking just to clear coat it.  :)  Of course, this nice and clear coat is not hold up well. 

Anyone ever gone with the bare metal look on their snowblower?  Protected metal of course.
chefwong

Reply #32   Nov 5, 2010 9:46 am
120 Grit
220 Grit
Nikkens 1000 Grit
Nikklens 1500 Grit
Nikeens 2000 Grit
My preferred Metal Polish - Heavy Metal Polish Green Cut
Followed by their Blue Cut

Clear Coat Twice Per Season. Once before and Once After.

It will be truly something special ;-)
jrtrebor

Reply #33   Nov 5, 2010 8:07 pm
Here is a photo of my blower housing.  Using the Seam Sealer, primer and paint.
I also lined the housing with a piece of stainless steel and inside the impeller housing as well.
Lengthened the impeller blades with weld and then ground them to shape.
I now have only a 1/16 + clearance in the housing.
Really curious to see how that effects the blowing capabilities especially with the wet slushy stuff.
This is an Ariens 32" bucket on a Model 924084 / 1032 blower.

This message was modified Nov 5, 2010 by jrtrebor
aa335

Reply #34   Nov 5, 2010 8:21 pm
Nice work, I like that stainless steel lining.
jrtrebor

Reply #35   Nov 5, 2010 8:41 pm
A few other modifications I've made ( I get carried away sometimes with ideas)
Adapted power seat screw motors for moving the deflector and rotating the chute.
Both movements are controlled by a little 4-way joystick located on the right handle.
The system is powered by a 12v scooter battery which hangs in a bag below
the control panel.  It has a plug so I can just remove it and take it inside to charge.
Although last year here in Mi. It didn't leave the blower to be charged until
March.  And I only took it in to charge it because I thought I should.
It hadn't shown signs of getting weak at all.
I was amazed at that.
Also took off the old rounded deflector and made a new one with
square corners

This message was modified Nov 5, 2010 by jrtrebor
aa335

Reply #36   Nov 6, 2010 12:15 am
Very nice work.  The chute deflector motor set up looks highly similar to the new Deere 1330SE. 

By the way, what's the yellow triangle on the chute?
This message was modified Nov 6, 2010 by aa335
Shryp

Reply #37   Nov 6, 2010 4:39 am
aa335 wrote:
Very nice work.  The chute deflector motor set up looks highly similar to the new Deere 1330SE. 

By the way, what's the yellow triangle on the chute?

He uses the triangle to judge how far the deflector can move because the seat motors don't have limiters and he doesn't want to break it.

I remember seeing a video on youtube about hit setup a while ago.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #38   Nov 6, 2010 10:20 am
jrtrebor, nice job on the painting, how did you fasten the stainless into the housing? Those seat motors look nice & compact & plenty powerful. What car are they from & do they turn fast enough?
I have a larger joystack from an arcade game that I will hook up to both motors.

chefwong, please don't take this the wrong way, but unless you are building a show (not snow) machine, 1000 & 2000 grit sounds like way overkill. Aren't you giving yourself a lot of work for minimal return.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
aa335

Reply #39   Nov 6, 2010 11:15 am
chefwong wrote:
120 Grit
220 Grit
Nikkens 1000 Grit
Nikklens 1500 Grit
Nikeens 2000 Grit
My preferred Metal Polish - Heavy Metal Polish Green Cut
Followed by their Blue Cut

Clear Coat Twice Per Season. Once before and Once After.

It will be truly something special ;-)

Somehow I suspect these sandpaper are expensive and are made in Europe. Never heard of Nikklens before but it sure sounds expensive.
Replies: 30 - 39 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42