Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Problem changing oil on Toro 1028LXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jake14mw

Problem changing oil on Toro 1028LXE
Original Message   Dec 21, 2008 9:35 pm
Hi All,

I went to change the oil in my Toro today.  It has a long metal pipe with a thread on the end, and a nut that is supposed to be removed to drain the oil.  I thought to myself, this is great, nice and easy to reach, piece of cake.  Well, when I go to remove the nut, the whole pipe turns!  The other end is threaded too.  I tried to hold on to the pipe with a pair of pliers, but it still turns.  Am I doing something wrong?  I must be doing something wrong, why would they design it that way.  I have hit the nut on the end with WD-40 three times already.  Thanks for helping this mechanically challanged guy!

Replies: 7 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Chewy

Re: Problem changing oil on Toro 1028LXE
Reply #7   Dec 4, 2009 5:14 pm
I'm having the same problem with my Simplicity snow blower I bought last winter. This is the first time I'm changing the oil in it and the dealer must have put the end cap on way too tight.  I tried tightening the tube a little hoping that would help it stay in place & with all my might applied the vice grips didn't help.  I hate to remove the whole tube because the oil will make a mess all over the snow blower and my lawn.  Any other helpful tips or tricks?  I was going to bring it back to the dealer with a little bit of anger directed at him but I just found out he retired and closed the business.
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Reply #8   Dec 4, 2009 8:15 pm
Chewy wrote:
I'm having the same problem with my Simplicity snow blower I bought last winter. This is the first time I'm changing the oil in it and the dealer must have put the end cap on way too tight.  I tried tightening the tube a little hoping that would help it stay in place &amp; with all my might applied the vice grips didn't help.  I hate to remove the whole tube because the oil will make a mess all over the snow blower and my lawn.  Any other helpful tips or tricks?  I was going to bring it back to the dealer with a little bit of anger directed at him but I just found out he retired and closed the business.<br type="_moz"/>

Hey Chewy

It's only a mess. My blower only has a square drain plug, no tube. I change the oil on it once per year, and I remove the wheel from that side when I do it, tip it over into a drainpan and let it go. Drain the fuel beforehand. If you time it right, the only cost is a few paper towels to clean up the dribbles. I would never change oil on my lawn.

Once the tube's out, remove the cap on the end and thread it back in with some sealant finger tight, then with your vicegrips, tighten it one half turn. Finger tighten the cap and turn it a quarter turn. Refill with oil after the sealant has had time to cure and run it and keep an eye on it. Should be fine after that.

No need for anger with the dealer over that one :-) I am sure that unless he was miserable in the first place, he'd be happy to share knowledge with you.

John

Contents under pressure....
borat

Reply #9   Dec 5, 2009 1:40 pm
I've had problems with drain pipes on almost every engine that I've had that had a pipe on it. My fix is similar to Johnnyboy's. I got around it by removing the pipe, put it in a vice, take off the end cap. clean up the end that goes into the engine. Soak it in varsol/gasoline to get all the oil off of it. Clean the hole in the engine as best as you can. I use a small tooth brush and a bit of varsol to wash out the threads. Then I wipe it out with a clean piece of thin rag wrapped around the tooth brush. When everything is nice and clean, I apply a gob of JB Weld to the threads of the pipe making sure that none gets into the engine. Thread the pipe in until it's tight and let it set up. I have to tell you that if the pipe threads and hole are clean, the JB Weld will make the pipe installation pretty much permanent.
friiy

Reply #10   Dec 5, 2009 2:05 pm
I had a chipper that did the same thing...   I welded a tab to the pipe and bolted it to the frame,  for others  I have also installed a gate valve or ball valve.   Most of these are pipe thread..

Friiy

nibbler

Reply #11   Dec 6, 2009 9:00 pm
I attached a petcock to the end of the pipe, no more fiddling with the cap nut.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #12   Dec 9, 2009 8:31 am
There is a great product called "Drainzit" which is a flexible drain tube that replaces the solid pipe. The block side tightens securely to the engine using a hex fitting and seat that makes it leak proof as well as vibration proof. The drain end has a hex fitting as well as a hex cap. You use two wrenches -one to prevent the tube from turning and one to loosen the cap. Google "Drainzit" and you will find dealers and pictures. The best part is they make one for the Honda 10mm drain port Part#Hon1010 which makes a particularly messy oil change surgicaly clean.  The part# for the 1/4" port on Briggs and Tecumseh is stan1025.

The Drainzit came on some of the Briggs powered Simplicity units a few years ago.

Marc   

This message was modified Dec 9, 2009 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 7 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42