Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity P1628e vs Toro 1128OXE vs Ariens Pro 28

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Guinness

Simplicity P1628e vs Toro 1128OXE vs Ariens Pro 28
Original Message   Nov 12, 2009 3:42 pm
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a new snowblower in about a week, and have narrowed it down to these 3, though its not going to be an easy decision.    Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
The Ariens has the automatic differential which seems very nice, though it seems to have a different engine than the other 2 (not a Snowmax engine, I don't know what the difference is)? 
The Toro has a nice chute joystick and seems well balanced. No heated hand grips.  Do the wheel releases on the Toro or Simplicity have any chance of icing up?
 I like the Simplicity's strong frame, and the electric chute is nice too.  One wheel release vs Toro's 2?

Anything I should consider when looking at these 3? The 24" Simplicity also looked really nice, just from a smaller more manageable size point of view. 

Thanks
This message was modified Nov 12, 2009 by Guinness
Replies: 12 - 21 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
RuhiA

Re: Simplicity P1628e vs Toro 1128OXE vs Ariens Pro 28
Reply #12   Nov 13, 2009 1:21 pm
borat wrote:
When you decide on a machine and make your purchase, I suggest you do a little extra prep work when you get it home. There's plenty of advice here on easy but important things to look for and do if the dealer missed them.

Any pointers by any chance where to find this sort of info. I tried some search with no luck. My 828OXE is 'bout to be delivered so I'd like to go over before putting to use. Thanks.
Ruhi
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by RuhiA
Guinness

Reply #13   Nov 13, 2009 2:42 pm
I really like the 24" bucket, but I am leaning towards the 28 because of the increased power ( i know its only 14.50 to 15.50 increase in torque), but the displacement goes from 305 to 342cc.  I am wondering if the larger displacement will be better in the longer run.

Has anybody been having trouble with the electric chute?  I wonder what the price is from Simplicity for the motor.  ( I would probably buy one or two to keep for the long haul in case they stop making them). 

The Toro might be nice with the "power steering" but I wonder how that actually works in the field.  Simplicity just does one wheel, so I guess only power steering to the right?

I will go over the unit and check bolts, grease, etc..  I have a tube of the Mobil 1 synthetic grease that I use on my lawn tractor which works well.
opecrazy

Reply #14   Nov 13, 2009 6:35 pm
To answer some questions you have raised:

If you can afford the bigger Simplicity than I would go for it.  The only advantage it has is the larger bucket, which decreases the amount of swaths.  It can decrease up to one or more passes depending on the driveway width.  Remember the engines are spec'd to accommodate the max capacity of the larger bucket.  If put onto the same machine, in reality I don't think you will see too much of a difference in terms of power between the two engines.  If the Simplicity 24 is a bit less and closer in price to the Toro then go for it instead.

The remote triggers on both the Toro and Simplicity are designed to be used while the drive lever is engaged.  On the Toro you can squeeze both triggers, and the machine will be in neutral.  The drive lever will be engaged but because of the two squeezed triggers the machine will not move.  Once you release the triggers the machine will move forward.  The Simplicity is a bit different.  It only unlocks one wheel but still drives the other one when you squeeze the trigger.  You will only use these features to turn the machines around.  Once in a straight line again you should use both wheels to drive forward.  Minor corrections in steering are very easy and don't require an assist.  Only turning the machine 90-180 degrees.

I think if you go with either the:

Simp pro 24
Simp pro 28
Toro 1128oxe

You will make a good choice.  All three are very capable machines.  But Simplicity/Toro are a bit different in terms of their overall feel in respect to handling.  This is why I think you should try them out, even just rolling them around on two wheels in the show room.  Decide after getting a feel for them, if you haven't already.

Then think of dealer impressions, and finally price between all three.
This message was modified Nov 13, 2009 by opecrazy
Catt

Reply #15   Nov 13, 2009 7:20 pm
Guinness wrote:
I really like the 24" bucket, but I am leaning towards the 28 because of the increased power ( i know its only 14.50 to 15.50 increase in torque), but the displacement goes from 305 to 342cc.  I am wondering if the larger displacement will be better in the longer run.

Has anybody been having trouble with the electric chute?  I wonder what the price is from Simplicity for the motor.  ( I would probably buy one or two to keep for the long haul in case they stop making them). 

The Toro might be nice with the "power steering" but I wonder how that actually works in the field.  Simplicity just does one wheel, so I guess only power steering to the right?

I will go over the unit and check bolts, grease, etc..  I have a tube of the Mobil 1 synthetic grease that I use on my lawn tractor which works well.

I have a John Deere 1130 SE with an electric chute and the 1130 is made by Simplicity.  Not sure, but I'd be surprised if they used a different supplier for the electric chute motor.  The label on my electric chute motor is part number 210-1011 made by AM Equipment.  It's just like the one for $25.99+shipping from the site below.  The gear is different and is easily replaced with the one from the snowblower. 

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/AME-210-1011.html
borat

Reply #16   Nov 13, 2009 7:43 pm
RuhiA wrote:
Any pointers by any chance where to find this sort of info. I tried some search with no luck. My 828OXE is 'bout to be delivered so I'd like to go over before putting to use. Thanks.<BR>Ruhi

The following actions apply to both new and used machines:

First thing I'd do is pull the wheels off and use a good water resistant grease to lube the axles. Snowmobile grease is great for snow throwers. Although not necessary, I like to use an outdoor cable/chain/gear grease in a spray can (motorcycle chain lube will do) to lube the drive chains inside the chassis. Make sure you cover the friction plate and drive disk before applying the grease to the chains. You don't want to get any on them. Lube all friction points for the controls. While you're in there, put a thin layer of oil on the hex shaft. I like to use a light spray grease on pivots and light multi purpose oil to spray into the insides of any cables. Grease the auger shaft.

Check belts for condition and proper tension. Go over all fasteners with a wrench to tighten anything that might be loose. Make sure you're fuel tank is clean and passing fuel to the carb. If the machine is running well, chances are they're fine. If there's no obvious leaking at the auger drive gear case, I leave it as is. As long as there's lube inside and it doesn't have a catastrophic event, it should last the life of the machine without messing with it. Others might disagree but I've never had one leak nor changed fluid in one in twenty years.
Catt

Reply #17   Nov 13, 2009 8:12 pm
borat, Those are all very good suggestions.  I made a mistake several years ago and didn't grease the wheel axles and couldn't believe how they rusted.  Didn't make it very easy to remove later.  Now I grease everything.  I also use silicone spray on all metal parts.  Keeps thinks looking new.
Guinness

Reply #18   Nov 15, 2009 1:20 pm
Borat,
Thanks for the outline to going over the machine and lubing it up.  I am sure that will help with the longevity. 

Catt,
Thanks for positng that link.  That seems like a cheap enough price to keep one in the toolbox as a backup. I wonder if the gear is available separately or on the motor through Simplicity. 

OPE,
I rolled them around the showroom today.  They all seem to be pretty well balanced ( I think the Toro was the best in that regards, it does seem a little shorter in length compared to the Simplicity and Ariens). 

The automatic diff of the Ariens was nice ( not worrying about triggers could be a plus)  I wonder what the longevity of the differential is.  The overall feel of the machine seemed pretty heavy duty.  The impeller seemed larger than the Simplicity and Toro ( The bucket seemed higher as well, I dont know if increased snow capacity makes a big difference though).  What parts did you say were not as good as the Simp or Toro?  I wonder if not having the cast iron sleeve will severely limit engine longevity. The chute control seemed decent.  Lifting it up and moving it was a just a little more work then using the Toro joystick or the Simplicity electric ones.   It seems like the Simplicity controls might be more protected from the snow than the Arien's or Toro. 
borat

Reply #19   Nov 15, 2009 5:52 pm
Considering the working environment that snow throwers are operated in (cool temps and clean air), I'm not too concerned that my engine has the aluminum bore. If it were a summer application, I'd have more confidence in a cast cylinder sleeve. Chances are that the engine will last as long as the machine it's mounted on if it's properly lubricated. These new synthetic oils are pretty slippery and I'd suspect provide more than adequate protection for engine internals. This is the only engine i have that I run synthetic oil in. Not so much due to the aluminum bore as much as it is for ease of starting and quicker oil circulation. I wouldn't sweat the aluminum/cast cylinder issue. After all, a new B&S engine can be had for around $300.00. A Chinese clone can be had for half that. Hardly makes repairing an engine worth the effort/cost.
Guinness

Reply #20   Nov 16, 2009 10:30 am
Thanks,
I will use synthetic on whatever one I get, it can't hurt!

I must order this thing this week, I am probably thinking about it way to much. 
Guinness

Reply #21   Nov 16, 2009 11:17 am
Has anybody had a wife use their snowblower?  I was thinking if I was not home in an emergency, then my wife may need it.  Would she be better off using the Ariens because of the ATC ( no triggers to worry about), or go for the triggers on one of the others?
Replies: 12 - 21 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42