Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity P1628e vs Toro 1128OXE vs Ariens Pro 28

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Guinness

Simplicity P1628e vs Toro 1128OXE vs Ariens Pro 28
Original Message   Nov 12, 2009 3:42 pm
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a new snowblower in about a week, and have narrowed it down to these 3, though its not going to be an easy decision.    Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
The Ariens has the automatic differential which seems very nice, though it seems to have a different engine than the other 2 (not a Snowmax engine, I don't know what the difference is)? 
The Toro has a nice chute joystick and seems well balanced. No heated hand grips.  Do the wheel releases on the Toro or Simplicity have any chance of icing up?
 I like the Simplicity's strong frame, and the electric chute is nice too.  One wheel release vs Toro's 2?

Anything I should consider when looking at these 3? The 24" Simplicity also looked really nice, just from a smaller more manageable size point of view. 

Thanks
This message was modified Nov 12, 2009 by Guinness
Replies: 2 - 11 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Re: Simplicity P1628e vs Toro 1128OXE vs Ariens Pro 28
Reply #2   Nov 12, 2009 6:43 pm
After much research and excellent advice from the guys on this board I purchased a Simplicity 24" 9 HP (B&S) snowblower last year. The Simplicity is exceptionally well made, all-steel construction, and that 9 HP Briggs & Stratton motor is music to my ears. I can't speak for the other products you mentioned but I am thrilled with my Simplicity...I highly recommend their products.
opecrazy

Reply #3   Nov 12, 2009 7:47 pm
My advice is only for the three you listed because I assume that you are willing to spend the money that these machines cost - around the ceiling of $2k.

Out of the three I would forget about the Ariens.  I think it has less value than the other two for the price you pay.  Engine is not a Max series as you stated and other parts are cheaper, which are hard to see unless you take it apart.  The snow series max engines have a cast iron sleeve inside the cylinder instead of an aluminum wall.

Out of the remaining two it is a hard decision.  Both are really good products.  The Toro is more similar to the Simplicity Large Frame throwers, not the professional models.

I would need more information to help you decide between them.  What is the drive way like?  Average snowfall?  Your local prices for both?

If the Simplicity is less or same price as Toro then I would go with the Simplicty.  But before you decide check out both and ask if you can test drive them.  If they are a good shop they should let you try a machine, especially at the price of $2k.
borat

Reply #4   Nov 12, 2009 8:41 pm
I might be wrong but I don't think the snow max engine has a cast iron cylinder liner. Pretty sure all of their Snow and Snow Max engines have their Kool Bore cylinders. Which means that they're aluminum bore. I think the main difference between the Snow and Snow Max is that the Max has a variable throttle.
opecrazy

Reply #5   Nov 12, 2009 8:47 pm
I double checked their website to make sure and it states that they have a cast iron sleeve.
borat

Reply #6   Nov 12, 2009 9:28 pm
Not sure what site you're looking at but here's a link to the B&S Snow Max engine line up. I've compared their largest and smallest engines. Both show Kool Bore.

Also, I have a Simplicity with a 305cc Snow Max engine.....it has a Kool Bore aluminum cylinder.

B&S definition of Kool Bore:

Cylinders:

Kool Bore™ Machined aluminum cylinder bore. Lightweight and corrosion resistant.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine_power/view_compare.aspx
mikiewest

Reply #7   Nov 12, 2009 9:52 pm
ope is correct borat.sno series max has cast iron sleeve.Click on specifications and u will see....
snowgo

Reply #8   Nov 12, 2009 10:44 pm
Just when I think I have the Simplicity eliminated from my choices, I read threads like this one. Oy vey! :-)

Bob
borat

Reply #9   Nov 12, 2009 11:53 pm
Thanks for the correction Mikie.

I went to a different web page for B&S and found the snow engines. It does appear that the new Snow Max engines have the cast iron liner. Is that a recent change? I went and had another look at my engine. It's not a Snow Max. It's an Intek Snow engine and I'm sure it has an aluminum bore. It would appear that B&S have changed their snow engine lineup since my Simplicity was built. If you look at the new Snow engine, it doesn't appear to have an adjustable throttle. The Snow Max does and mine does as well.

Not that the cast bore really matters. Not sure if a cast iron bore is really necessary for winter operating conditions. The Kool Bore engine is supposed to run cooler than a cast liner and being that it's not being operated in a dusty environment it's unlikely that a lot of abrasive particles will cause premature wear of the cylinder. If I had a choice of the cast over the aluminum, I'd take it but I wouldn't pay a premium for it on a snow thrower. If it were on a warm weather, dusty environment machine, I definitely want the cast bore.
Guinness

Reply #10   Nov 13, 2009 11:57 am
Borat,
Yes, the 24" was the professional model. 

I am willing to spend around $2,000, which all these machines are.  The 28" Simplicity is the most (about , then the Toro and Ariens are about the same.  I do like the idea of the cast iron sleeve, but I suppose its not a deal breaker.  I live in Mass, and have a two car driveway, about 150' long.  I do get a huge amount of snow at the end of the driveway, which is why I am leaning toward the 28" machines.  I plan to keep it in either the garage, or shed.  If I keep it in the shed it is about 250' away, over grass and up a ramp so I do know if that makes any difference or not.  I do have a few walkways around the house that I would probably keep clear too.

Are there any con's to the Toro and Simplicity wheel unlock mechanisms?  If I pull the two Toro triggers to unlock both drive wheels, spin it around then release the triggers to engage the drive is there potential for long term wear? 
If I am going up an icy ramp to the shed is there a benefit to either the locked two wheel drive for the Toro and Simp. or the differential on the Ariens?

Man this is going to be a tough decision, but I need to make it soon before the snow flys :) 

Thanks everyone for your help.

borat

Reply #11   Nov 13, 2009 12:49 pm
Any of the machines you've mentioned will get the job done. That's for sure.

Considering the number and lengths of paths you plan to clear, I'd lean toward the 24" Simplicity. It will be easier to turn around in tight spots. As far a needing a larger machine for end of driveway deposits, I'd stick with the 24" there as well. What's important for EOD snow is power and the ability to chew into the hard pack. I have the 28" and there's no real advantage to extra width when clearing the end of the driveway. Being that the 24 Pro has the same power as the 28" large frame, I'm sure it will be up to the task.

Regarding the Easy Turn feature. It's most useful when re-positioning the machine. Particularly when the engine is off. That's it. When actually throwing snow, I alway have the wheels locked. That's where the traction is. I have a large driveway with a 10% grade. The Simplicity has no problem moving snow either uphill or downhill.

When you decide on a machine and make your purchase, I suggest you do a little extra prep work when you get it home. There's plenty of advice here on easy but important things to look for and do if the dealer missed them.

Good luck.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42