Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
heyyip

Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Original Message   Apr 5, 2007 11:00 am
I bought this machine because I needed a rugged machine that would last me. I would rather purchase a "Tim Taylor" machine rather than fuss with an inferior one. This beast has 13hp, 36" wide, locking diff, heated hand grips, light, elec start, ect.... I have a 100 foot paved driveway. It has snowed 4 times since I purchased it, and it has broke down on me 3 times.  everything from a factory recall that i wasnt notified of, so it burned belts (4)!!, to nuts & bolts falling out, chute breaking, auger stops turning, wheels stop driving, etc.... The dealer has a special place for it in his shop that they dont fill when it is at my place. I believe this machine would last forever,  if i dont use it. The dealer stood behind me 100% when I told them enough is enough I wanted something done, money back, or a replacement. Now it has snowed today, 20", I have a bad back and have to shovel while the ariens company sits on my $3000.00. Anybody else have this problem?
Replies: 59 - 68 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
pvrp

Re: Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Reply #59   Mar 7, 2009 11:51 pm
trouts2 wrote:

So what’s your point?  The 9526 is wicked dangerous.  How does it throw compared to … related to the ongoing discussion?

And what are you so uptight about ?

I asked if you'd tried a recent Ariens because first, I don't think you have, and second because they throw a lot
better than they used to.  So if someone today says it'll outthrow a (smaller, older ?)  Honda I wouldn't be surprised.  
Personally I wouldn't want an Ariens (pro) to throw further than it does.  I have no reason to send my snow into the
yard of the guy across the street, but I could with my new Ariens.

Paul
This message was modified Mar 7, 2009 by pvrp
borat

Reply #60   Mar 8, 2009 5:51 pm
terrier wrote:
aa335 and borat:
I respect both your opinions. You both seem very knowledgeable about snowblowers. I am not as knowledgeable about them as you are because I'm not as interested in them as you seem to be. I use and appreciate well designed and built machinery but I am not passionate about them.
The tomato cage my Honda ingested was buried under a snowbank. I should have known it was there but I didn't until too late. Honda had factory original shear pins etc. Possibly Ariens would also have bent auger, who knows? I hope never to find out. I repeat that the experienced welder who repaired the auger agreed with me that it was NOT a strong part. I have owned a number of snowblowers over the years. Have never had any real problems with any of them. I maintain machinery properly and use snowblowers in an appropriate manner. Please accept that I intensely disliked the Honda 928 and do not consider it to be the marvel you seem to think it is. I simply find the Ariens better to use. In other words, I think it is BETTER suited to my particular situation.
I seem to have confused aa335 with my lawnmower comment. My current lawnmower is a LawnBoy with a Honda engine. I like the Honda engine. It seems to be quieter and more vibration free than the L head tecumseh engine on my last Toro. I don't like Ariens lawnmowers because they are rather heavy and clumsy to use. And yes, I have owned an Ariens lawnmower some years ago. Borat is not very accurate in his appraisal of Japanese vs. North American cars. Any number of sources, including JDPower adknowledge that North American cars are equal to, and in some cases are superior to Asian vehicles. Go on the internet. Any number of sources will validate this. Some years ago, japanese cars simply dissolved and rusted away in a year or two in my part of the world. I owned a 1978 Honda Accord. Unreliable, expensive parts and flimsy. I did enjoy driving it before it dissolved. Anyway, I'm not going to post any more on this matter. I enjoy reading the forum and have for a few years now. These discussions are good reading but nobody's mind ever gets changed. People buy on emotion and then attempt to rationalize their decision. Consumers like or dislike machinery (and everything else) based on their own particular view of the world.

Don't know what planet you've been living on for the last six months but it doesn't sound like the same one I'm on.  Read the news, go on the internet to do some research on the existing North American auto industry situation.   Regardless of the JD Power ratings (usually assessed on INITIAL quality), which is dubious at best, there is a problem with North American vehicle quality compared to Asian vehicles.  Even the Koreans are building better vehicles.    If the domestic vehicle brands are as good as you claim they are, maybe you can explain why people won't buy them despite the fact that they're a couple grand less?   North American auto manufacturers have lost market share year after year since the introduction of Asian cars.  Maybe you can explain how that happened?    The domestic manufacturers can only buy so much propaganda.   Sooner or later, the consumer with have the last say.  When that last expression to buy Asian over domestic becomes so frequent that the domestics cannot compete, one can only conclude that the consumer is not happy with the domestic offerings and you can rest assured that it's not based on styling.   Style doesn't keep the car out of the service bay.  Know what I mean?

I've got many years of experience with both domestic and Asian brands.  For me, there is no comparison.  I have operated Toyotas for a fraction of the cost for an equivalent domestic.  I am not exaggerating.  My present 1996 Toyota pick up has cost me less in twelve years than my Ford pick did in one year.   I have not put a dime in repairs in my Toyota.  Maintenance (tires, batteries, oil change etc.) not included.  Repair costs are for things that fail.  All of my North American vehicles required at least $500.00/year, for every year of ownership.  I'd estimate that total repair costs for thirty years of Toyota ownership is less than $1000.00.   That's why I've been buying them since 1979.  If you've have good luck with your domestic vehicle good for you.  From the way the market has shifted away from North American vehicles you might be the exception rather than the rule.  If you can think of another reason consumers  are buying Asian vehicles in preference to domestics, I'd be interested in hearing it,

terrier

Reply #61   Mar 9, 2009 3:27 pm
Borat; I don't really see what your views on japanese vs domestic automobiles has to do with snowblowers, but whatever. You may have driven japanese cars since 1979 but you don't seem to be aware of the issues they have. Are you aware there is a recall for your year toyota pickup because the frames rust out and the bodies fall off on occasion. Happened to my brother in law. There was also a class action suit against toyota/lexus because their v6 engines were sludging up due to inadequate oil channels in the engine block. The engines would simply seize up and have to be replace at a cost of thousands. The issue with leaky transmissions on both lexus and toyota. The transmissions on 2004 and newer highlander transmissions that won't shift gears. The list goes on. Look up toyota problems on the internet. Lots of toyota/lexus problems listed on lots of sites. Incidentally, JDPower evaluates many other factors besides initial quality. Look it up. Many other sites will also verify that many domestic cars are the equal to, or in some cases better than their japanese competition. Look them up so I don't have to list them all for you. Like you, I have extensive mechanical experience. I don't want or have to rebuild my own engines anymore, but I probably still could if I had to.
You mention propaganda put out by the domestic manufacturers. I see a lot of crap from toyota that I would certainly classify as propaganda, no different from the domestics.
The new Malibu would seem to be the equal of any toyota, according to the numerous road tests I have read. You may not agree that the new Malibu is a good car but you are simply uninformed and would seem not to be privy to much new information regarding the changing automotive world. Some Korean cars are now excellent cars, Hyundai comes to mind.
The average male person thinks he knows everything there is to know about cars. tv's, stereos and appliances. Unfortunately, the ones I talk to daily in my business don't seem to know much about anything. Lots of opinions, but not much actual knowledge. I think that Honda cars are much superior to toyota cars but this is an emotional reaction.
REMEMBER, this whole dialogue started because I am of the opinion that MY particular Honda 928 snowblower was a piece of crap, and that for me the Ariens 9526DLE is plain and simple, a better machine. People who own snowblowers that are more expensive (ie Hondas) feel compelled to justify their choice. Everything I read on this forum is just personal experience and preference. All brands have produced examples that are great and ones that don't work as their new owners hoped. I realize now that you just need to be right and that nothing anyone says will change your somewhat exalted view of all things japanese. Do us both a favour and let this be the last exchange on this subject. I come to this forum to read about snowblowers and nothing else.
aa335

Reply #62   Mar 9, 2009 4:34 pm
This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by aa335
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #63   Mar 9, 2009 6:53 pm
What the heck is happening on this forum?? Several threads now drifting with anger. I will throw my 2 cents in. I was always a Chevy guy. Never had a major problem. Decided a few years back to try a Toyota Tacoma. Newest generation. Biggest piece of dung ever. Not just my truck either. All over the Toyota forums. My buddy has had Tacomas for years. Great trucks with the exception of the rot bucket years. Newest gen is garbage. My sister purchased a brand new Honda Accord in 2004. Starting to rust out. It is happening accross the board. Not just American. Cheap plastic vehicles with NO STYLE. But I love my Honda and Ariens snowblowers. Oh, I also love pudding
This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by Knee_Biter

borat

Reply #64   Mar 9, 2009 7:10 pm
terrier wrote:
Borat; I don't really see what your views on japanese vs domestic automobiles has to do with snowblowers, but whatever. You may have driven japanese cars since 1979 but you don't seem to be aware of the issues they have. Are you aware there is a recall for your year toyota pickup because the frames rust out and the bodies fall off on occasion. Happened to my brother in law. There was also a class action suit against toyota/lexus because their v6 engines were sludging up due to inadequate oil channels in the engine block. The engines would simply seize up and have to be replace at a cost of thousands. The issue with leaky transmissions on both lexus and toyota. The transmissions on 2004 and newer highlander transmissions that won't shift gears. The list goes on. Look up toyota problems on the internet. Lots of toyota/lexus problems listed on lots of sites. Incidentally, JDPower evaluates many other factors besides initial quality. Look it up. Many other sites will also verify that many domestic cars are the equal to, or in some cases better than their japanese competition. Look them up so I don't have to list them all for you. Like you, I have extensive mechanical experience. I don't want or have to rebuild my own engines anymore, but I probably still could if I had to.
You mention propaganda put out by the domestic manufacturers. I see a lot of crap from toyota that I would certainly classify as propaganda, no different from the domestics.
The new Malibu would seem to be the equal of any toyota, according to the numerous road tests I have read. You may not agree that the new Malibu is a good car but you are simply uninformed and would seem not to be privy to much new information regarding the changing automotive world. Some Korean cars are now excellent cars, Hyundai comes to mind.
The average male person thinks he knows everything there is to know about cars. tv's, stereos and appliances. Unfortunately, the ones I talk to daily in my business don't seem to know much about anything. Lots of opinions, but not much actual knowledge. I think that Honda cars are much superior to toyota cars but this is an emotional reaction.
REMEMBER, this whole dialogue started because I am of the opinion that MY particular Honda 928 snowblower was a piece of crap, and that for me the Ariens 9526DLE is plain and simple, a better machine. People who own snowblowers that are more expensive (ie Hondas) feel compelled to justify their choice. Everything I read on this forum is just personal experience and preference. All brands have produced examples that are great and ones that don't work as their new owners hoped. I realize now that you just need to be right and that nothing anyone says will change your somewhat exalted view of all things japanese. Do us both a favour and let this be the last exchange on this subject. I come to this forum to read about snowblowers and nothing else.

And the reason the N.A. auto sector is facing extinction is????? 

I don't think it's because they can't build enough vehicles.  Could it possibly be that no one wants to buy them? 

I think we've been in denial long enough.  Time to take the blinders off...

This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by borat
iLikeOrange

Reply #65   Mar 9, 2009 7:26 pm
I do like my mother in laws pecan pie.

aa335

Reply #66   Mar 9, 2009 10:18 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
I do like my mother in laws pecan pie.

Pecan pie, rum, and vanilla ice cream.  Yummm. 

My mother-in-law can't cook anything well.  I had to eat the same thing everytime I come to visit.   I eat it with a big smile and compliment.  She keeps putting more food on my plate. 

I know, should have kept my mouth shut. 

aa335

Reply #67   Mar 9, 2009 10:34 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
What the heck is happening on this forum?? Several threads now drifting with anger. I will throw my 2 cents in. I was always a Chevy guy. Never had a major problem. Decided a few years back to try a Toyota Tacoma. Newest generation. Biggest piece of dung ever. Not just my truck either. All over the Toyota forums. My buddy has had Tacomas for years. Great trucks with the exception of the rot bucket years. Newest gen is garbage. My sister purchased a brand new Honda Accord in 2004. Starting to rust out. It is happening accross the board. Not just American. Cheap plastic vehicles with NO STYLE. But I love my Honda and Ariens snowblowers. Oh, I also love pudding

Happy thoughts.  Happy thoughts.

I was thinking about getting a Tacoma or the new Jeep Rubicon.  I thought those Tacomas were bullet proof, so to speak.  I don't keep them around long for rust to matter.   I put so much miles on them that rust doesn't have a chance to stick.

borat

Reply #68   Mar 10, 2009 9:24 am
aa335 wrote:
Happy thoughts.  Happy thoughts.

I was thinking about getting a Tacoma or the new Jeep Rubicon.  I thought those Tacomas were bullet proof, so to speak.  I don't keep them around long for rust to matter.   I put so much miles on them that rust doesn't have a chance to stick.

I'll tell you what aa335, I know plenty of guys who switched to Tacomas.  Every one, to a man, said it was the best move they've made.  Considering the number of people employed in the N.A. vehicle manufacturing sector, you can rest assured that there will be representatives participating in the forums.  It is unlikely they would present a case for the competition.  If you have any concerns regarding vehicle quality, get yourself a copy of Consumer Reports Magazine and compare the repair records for whatever you're thinking of buying.  I'm certain that you're astute enough to do your research and analyze your results to make the best choice.  Let us know how it goes.    

Replies: 59 - 68 of 113Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42