Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
heyyip

Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Original Message   Apr 5, 2007 11:00 am
I bought this machine because I needed a rugged machine that would last me. I would rather purchase a "Tim Taylor" machine rather than fuss with an inferior one. This beast has 13hp, 36" wide, locking diff, heated hand grips, light, elec start, ect.... I have a 100 foot paved driveway. It has snowed 4 times since I purchased it, and it has broke down on me 3 times.  everything from a factory recall that i wasnt notified of, so it burned belts (4)!!, to nuts & bolts falling out, chute breaking, auger stops turning, wheels stop driving, etc.... The dealer has a special place for it in his shop that they dont fill when it is at my place. I believe this machine would last forever,  if i dont use it. The dealer stood behind me 100% when I told them enough is enough I wanted something done, money back, or a replacement. Now it has snowed today, 20", I have a bad back and have to shovel while the ariens company sits on my $3000.00. Anybody else have this problem?
Replies: 1 - 113 of 113View as Outline
Paul7

Re: Ariens 1336 pro Boat anchor
Reply #1   Apr 5, 2007 1:10 pm
I feel for you.  Few things are more frustrating than having a machine break down when you need it the most. 

Two years ago we had a major snow and my snow thrower let me down.  It was a small featureless Ariens...5 hp 24 inch cut.  The small hose that squirts gas into the carb slipped off the carb intake so when I pressed the primer bulb all that happened was that gas got sprayed on the tire.  Couldn't get it started.  Easy fix but I never noticed what was wrong until after I shoveled the driveway myself.  The machine was 12 years old at the time and that was the only problem that I had with it so this year when I wanted a bigger machine I bought an 11.5 hp Ariens.

Your case is very different from mine.  You have every right to be incredulous.  You bought a  top of the line professional model.  I feel that if an outdoor power equipment company names a model as "Professional" that should be a very meaningful designation...not just marketing lingo.  First and foremost it should mean reliability.  A "Professional" snowthrower should be just that...a machine that professionals can use to throw snow all day long, seven days a week, and with proper maintenance it should rarely break down on them as their livelihood depends on it. 

I hope that your dealer and Ariens come through for you to your satisfaction.  The fact is that there are a lot of snow thrower brands for us consumers to choose from.  And at the end of the day the most valuable asset that Ariens has is their name.  I would think that they would want to zealously protect their reputation.
Snowmann

Reply #2   Apr 5, 2007 10:29 pm
Tom,

What is your model and serial  number?

Paul7

Reply #3   Apr 5, 2007 11:59 pm

heyyip,

I think that Ariens will treat you right.  They’re a good company.  Almost all of my outdoor power equipment is made by Ariens…and here’s why.

Back in 1987 I bought my first Ariens product, a 5hp 21” self propelled walk-behind lawn mower.  The mower operated great and I really liked it but after a few months the paint started coming off the deck.  Not wearing off but literally falling off in sheets the size of a playing card. 

I told my Ariens dealer about it and asked him to sell me a can of Ariens orange spray paint so that I could re-paint my lawnmower deck.  He said that it wouldn’t look the same since the original paint was baked on.  He asked me to bring the mower in…he called Ariens and they authorized him to replace the deck with a new one. 

Apparently Ariens had a problem with their painting process that year.  Anyway, they could have chosen to ignore the problem as an aesthetic issue but they didn’t.  At what must have been a considerable expense to them they fixed the problem in a way that exceeded my expectations.

Because of the way they treated me and handled the problem I subsequently purchased an Ariens 4 hp garden tiller, an Ariens 5 hp snow thrower, an Ariens 6 hp 21” professional lawnmower (with an amazing Robins engine), and just last month an Ariens 11.5 hp snow thrower.  And when I buy a zero turn rider this spring it’s going to be an Ariens.  In fact the only equipment that I own that isn’t made by Ariens are my generator and power washer.  And that only because Ariens doesn’t make those products. 

I don’t want to sound like a commercial for Ariens but the fact is that they sell a quality product for a reasonable price...and based on my experience they stand behind their products.   I’ll probably be buying countless Ariens products over the next 40 years and it’s all because of the way that they treated me 20 years ago back in 1987.  Hopefully they’ll handle your problem to your satisfaction as well.

Paul

newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #4   Apr 6, 2007 11:45 am
I second the quality service at Ariens. One service question and they pointed me in the right direction. Because of the great service, I bought 2 Arien's snowblowers in 3 years. One for me and one for my Dad.

I don't understand "bolts falling off"? Ariens uses lock nuts on everything.
Moderator Denis

Reply #5   Apr 6, 2007 10:50 pm
newjerseybt

I agree with you, Ariens is a great company, maybe Tom is the 1% customer who gets a (citrus) maybe that day on the production line, someone out there was sick, and forgot a few things to check on the blower before they crate it. I dont believe it was done volontary by Ariens.

Denis

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #6   Apr 7, 2007 5:24 pm
heyyip

Snowmann works for Ariens and should be able to give you some good advice. The info he requested will be good for him to have.

Jonathan

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
heyyip

Reply #7   Apr 10, 2007 1:12 am
My Machine is a 1336DLE Pro. as for the serial number it is with the machine at the dealer. we had snow AGAIN last thurs. and AGAIN it was in the shop. I told them I dont want it back (I was a little hot under the collar) it seems the motor developed an oil leak somewhere in the cylander head. they said I over filled it with oil, I never put any in it, hell there is only maybe an hour of use on it!  I've since talked to them, they had a meeting and they are going to try to fix it for me. oh boy. The dealer has been good about it so far, they called me that day and offered to come plow my drive for me, not everyone would do that. As for nuts and bolts, none of these had lock nuts on them, they were on the console, and cable guides (which are threaded into the base). also the left control handle bent sideways from the cable tension(!) how is that for thin, even the mechanic commented on how thin the metal is.
Snowmann

Reply #8   Apr 10, 2007 8:44 pm
The model number should be similar to 92X,XXX and the serial number should be six digits long. It is also on your warranty paperwork I believe. This would be helpful if you need a hand diagnosing some problems.
marchhoops1

Reply #9   Apr 12, 2007 12:50 pm
After reading this, something doesn't smell quite right.

Get the information Snowmann requested and post it. Maybe the smell will get better after that.

This message was modified Apr 12, 2007 by marchhoops1

nibbler

Reply #10   Apr 12, 2007 1:01 pm
marchhoops1 wrote:
After reading this, something doesn't smell quite right.

Get the information Snowmann requested and post it. Maybe the smell will get better after that.

Good call, I have been looking at Ariens machines for the last two years, at big box sotres such as HD and pro shops. I have seen some things that were caused by incorrect in store assembly but nothing that could be attributed to "flimsy" or "totally missing from the factory". It could be that the original poster is just fed up but I must admit I've been suspecting that we are being trolled ever since the remarks about flimsy and all lock nuts missing. One or two is possible, all would require a major problem at the factory which would show up on more than just one machine.

We shall see.
This message was modified Apr 12, 2007 by nibbler
heyyip

Reply #11   Apr 12, 2007 3:00 pm
model: 1336DLE  PRO

sn: 000-0201

heyyip

Reply #12   Apr 13, 2007 2:10 pm
Looking Back on all the threads, I fail to see where I stated ANYTHING about "all" or even one single locknut falling out. Bolts that are threaded directly into the lower housing sheet metal with NO nuts are the trouble, as are the console bolts, and the belt cover bolts,... nope, still no mention of a locknut. Maybe I need glasses,  and I am sure I can get my hands on a complete record of repairs from the dealership If needed to "freshen the air".  If anyone is interested, the dealed AGAIN called yesterday to offer to do my drive for me (yep, more snow). I talked to the owner of the company today, and after seeing the record of this machine, he told me he will make it absoulutely right for me and assured me that I would not in any way be dissappointed. This is why this dealership came highly recommended to me by other customers I know. They've been in buisness for many years, and I believe for good reason.
nibbler

Reply #13   Apr 14, 2007 11:31 am
It does appear that I misinterpretted what you said:

I.E. "As for nuts and bolts, none of these had lock nuts on them, they were on the console, and cable guides"

I thought you were refering to all nuts and bolts, not just the ones on the console and cable guides. Sorry for the confusion.

I would also guess that part of the "suspicion" was due to the timing of your postings. I'm in the habit of checking at least once a day and am used to seeing "hot topic" threads with several postings per day, including replies to queries from the original poster. Since you had reported a problem and then didn't post for several days the antenna started to go up. At the same time as I previously stated maybe you were just fed up with the ongoing problems. I can also see that if there has been no news from the dealer then you wouldn't necessarily have anything to post here. I must also admit that Ariens has a very good reputation around here so there is some scepticism when a horror story like yours occurs. That's not to say you aren't having a problem and that it should be fixed, it just means it hasn't happened that often with that manufcturer.

I hope we will all see a post soon that says the matter was resolved and that you are now happy.

good Luck
heyyip

Reply #14   Apr 16, 2007 6:05 pm
I am self employed and work all over the state, so i dont get to go online that often. Sorry, but when you get frustrated, and then have somebody question your integrity, I guess I might have over reacted. I have been in contact with snowmann. we'll see.
nibbler

Reply #15   Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am
I don't feel that you over reacted, I do understand the frustration though both with the machine problems and with the allegations of people's suspicions. You have handled the situation well, as did the other people who posted. You bought what I would consider a top of the line machine from a dealer and you've had nothing but problems. We will have to see what happens next.

Please let us know how this turns out, enquiring minds need to know !
heyyip

Reply #16   May 7, 2007 2:06 pm
It appears snowman was well aware of this machine beforehand, and has been  in contact with several individuals (my dealer, etc) who can do something about it. We'll see.
jubol

Reply #17   May 8, 2007 6:53 pm
heyyip

The way Ariens is going on your problem, you might have it repaired by the end of next years snow season!!!

Lots of luck on having your problem solved!!

Fred

This message was modified May 8, 2007 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
borat

Reply #18   Nov 13, 2007 2:36 pm
I'm new to this forum but I have to admit that from reading numerous posts, it appears that many of the posters appear to be pro Ariens.  Not trying to offend anyone,  but  I get the sense that there  are participants who try to mitigate anything negative said about Ariens.  Maybe it's just my imagination........ 
This message was modified Nov 13, 2007 by borat
67L48

Reply #19   Nov 13, 2007 3:42 pm
Ariens does seem to be a gold standard in price/performance.  That's true here and just about everywhere else I go.  Nothing wrong with that.  However, it's just impossible to make that many machines without a lemon.  Whether all the tolerances lined up, it was a Friday afternoon build, or whatever, it just happens.  A good company isn't defined solely by defect rate -- it's also how it responds when the few unavoidable defects happen.  Obviously, none of us know the full story of what has happened in this case, but hopefully Ariens will use this as an opportunity to demonstrate the brand promise of the Ariens name.
borat

Reply #20   Nov 13, 2007 4:06 pm
When I was shopping for a new snow thrower about a month ago, the local Cub Cadet/MTD dealer had a similar, used, 2005 model Ariens 1336DLE on his lot.  I looked it over pretty good and it did look like an impressively built machine.  All steel construction, cast iron auger drive gear case, OHV Tec engine, 12 volt electric start, light, hand warmers etc.  The dealer wanted $1600.00 for it.  Upon close inspection, i noticed a few details on the engine that looked out of place.  It appeared to me that the engine had been worked on.  Dealer claimed that it hadn't been.  At least not by him.  That doesn't rule out that someone else may have had it apart.  He also claimed that it had very little time on it.  The attached maintenance minder showed 70 hours, which is more than very little in my book.  Another feature I disliked was the wheel lock down on the right hand wheel.  Now that I have read this post, I'm all the more pleased that I decided to go with a new Simplicity 9528 for considerably less money.  I looked at the HD models of Toro and Ariens and wasn't impressed.  Prices were substantially higher than the Simp and neither machine had all of the desirable features nor apparent build quality.  I would have looked at the higher end models of Ariens and Toro but the local dealer is worst price gouger I've ever come across.   So I didn't bother to visit his dealership.   Now I have to wait for some snow to put the Simplicity through it's paces to see how well it performs.  Will provide a review after a few months of operation. 
This message was modified Nov 13, 2007 by borat
heyyip

Reply #21   Mar 3, 2008 12:47 pm
OK people, Here is the update on my machine: The dealer told me he was going to swallow the loss and get me a new machine, which he did last year. he had it all summer as an agreement between us because he was busy with mowers and the snow was gone, free storage, right? Just before our first storm, i recieved the new machine with "all the updates", evidently there were a few. I used it without any problems through 2 BIG storms. We got a wet snowfall last week of about 5 inches. I made 1 pass down my paved driveway, turned around, made a half a pass back, and I smelled something hot. 10 seconds later the machine was on fire. I put out the fire with snow, took pictures, and brought them to the dealer. They were back to my home as soon as I was to retrieve the machine. He called me back to tell me not to worry, it is under warrantee. He said the machine was wired wrong from the factory, and the wires chaffed and shorted out under the battery, and that he ordered a new wiring harness, and it will be good as new....I wonder, will it?  For the price of this monster I could have had a couple of K-Mart machines.
solara

Reply #22   Mar 3, 2008 6:05 pm
I think that las vegas wants you as a COOLER.

I guess the good luck is that the machine did not blow up or ignite anything else.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
Paul7

Reply #23   Mar 3, 2008 6:09 pm
Wow...Was it the same model?  1336DLE Pro?  Perhaps you should consider a plow service.  Anyway, sorry to hear about your luck...or lack of it.
heyyip

Reply #24   Mar 28, 2008 7:17 pm
Well, I got it back, it does run and move. we had about an inch shortly after, it SEEEmed to handle tha inch with confidence. I have my doubts about much more than that. Not far from here they got 186" of snow this year. I would have retired 8 or 9 of these machines! Take a look for your self, Bethel Maine, home of the worlds biggest snow woman:  http://www.bethelmainesnowwoman.com/blog/
This message was modified Mar 28, 2008 by heyyip
nhmatt

Reply #25   Dec 21, 2008 8:16 pm
Oh My God.  I had to join this site just to vent.

For 10 years I had a Honda 828 wheeled snowblower.  It was a great machine.  It never once failed to start on 1-2 pulls, could eat anything, and was light enough I could pick it up and put it in the truck.  I beat on my machines.  I make money, not friends.  Everything about it was great.

I moved to a house with a 400' driveway.  The honda had no light, and I noticed the muffler starting to turn cherry red in about 12" of wet snow.  I figured it was time to upgrade to a bigger machine, because the 828 was taking me about 45 minutes to clear the driveway.  Of course I wanted another honda, but I didn't feel I could justify almost 3 grand new, and even people selling their used hondas were expecting close to full price.  I sold my 10 year old snowblower for $800, thinking it was unbelievable someone would pay that much.   I got what I thought was a good deal on an ariens 1336 dle pro.  All the bells and whistles $3000 msrp.  A lot of people like Ariens, so I figured maybe the pro model and not the home depot model, coupled with a real service dept. would be better, and I could save maybe $1000 and be done sooner.

This snowblower is a big, red piece of crap.  I can't see a major difference between this and my 1960s Snow King, for which I could no longer get parts for.  I buy my equipment used in order to save that big chunk of depreciation.  2 years into a product is a good way to tell how something is going to stand up.  Honda does, ariens doesn't.  Heated handles, a remote-control chute, and a light, that's about it.    The only difference between this snowblower and an ariens you could've bought 20-30 years ago is this one is made more cheaply.  Mind you:  This is the PROFESSIONAL model, and not the trumped-down Harry Homeowner model.

1.)  The snowblower is balanced with all the weight under the wheels, so it rides up.  If you pull up on the handles the wheels just spin.  Unlock the wheels and only one wheel spins.  Horrible, horrible traction.  Chains?  Tried it.  Weight kit?  Tried it.   This machine sucks.

2.) Chute is off center, so snow goes left easier than going right.  Does that matter?  It does because the battery is on the right, and the wide-open chute spills snow in ever-accumulating piles right on top of the battery housing, evetually building up to the point of clogging the chute, and/or making it impossible to turn using the nifty remote switch.  The switch has broken twice-its not waterproof, and the electric motor turning the gears has broken/clogged with water and frozen 4 times.  It is not weatherproof, and has simply been sprayed with an undercoating in order to give it a minimum amount of protection.

3.) You will only need 3 gears:  Reverse, 1st and 6th.  Because the impeller/auger doesn't spin fast enough to get rid of more than 4" of snow at a pass if you go any faster than gear 1, and 6 will get you back to the garage after you get the piece of junk started again.  BAD GEAR RATIO!!!!!!!  I bet its because the pully is the same one used for a smaller bucket, but no one bothered to do the math on engine speed/auger speed.  Piss poor engineering.

4.) It sucks gas.  I could do my driveway with 50% less gas with my smaller snowblower, even though it took me the same amount of time with a machine 30% smaller.  The disc-o-matic transmission is simple enough to work on, (and believe me you'll get the chance) but it sucks a ton of power.  The Snow King engine starts.  Power?  Plenty, but who cares because the auger doesn't turn fast enough so you stuck waiting anyway.

5.) It cloggs a lot.  New belts?  Yep.  Tighten the belts?  Yep.  Clean the belts, dress the belts, kiss the belts, silicone the chute?  Yep.  In 10 years of using my Honda, the only time the chute clogged is when I sucked up a 10x10 blue tarp, and it almost made it out.

I couldn't even tell you where the belt on my Honda snowblower was.

6.)  It rusts.  Do I take care of my equipment?  I'm hard but fair.  In 10 years my Honda didn't rust as bad as my 2 yr old Ariens.  Cheap.  Heated handles and a light.  Those are the only positive things.  Also, the handles on this piece of junk are the same handles you'll find on the 824, and blowers 200lbs lighter.   

Not only is this a out-dated design, the very balance of this machine is wrong.  It is out of sync, and doesn't work well.  I'm speaking as a mechanic/tech/designer who loves good tools and good machines.   This is a very low-grade snowblower, not worth 1/2 the price.    AVOID THIS MACHINE.

borat

Reply #26   Dec 21, 2008 9:52 pm
Well nhmatt, that was a rather harsh review. 

Don't have any experience with that particular Ariens machine although, I did look at a one year old, used one that was the very same model, last year.  It looked big and tough enough.   After I looked at it more closely, I could tell that the engine had been worked on.  Something that the sales person at the dealership denied knowing about.  I showed him that the valve cover was being held on by other than stock nor normal type bolts.  From the looks of the fasteners on the engine, someone had taken it pretty much apart, either several times or they were as sloppy as hell in their wrench & screw driver size selections.  The dealership was asking $1600.00 for it.  I passed on the deal and bought a brand new 9528 Simplicity for a hundred bucks less, taxes included.   Best snow thrower I've owned and a damned good performer too.    

nhmatt

Reply #27   Dec 21, 2008 11:43 pm
I can't be harsh enough.  Every time I use that thing I have to work on it.  Whether it be a shear pin or a loose belt or a frozen shute or a clogged impeller.  SLUSH OMG!!!!! I totally forgot.  it doesn't throw slushy snow more than 5'.  It cloggs more than it thows.  Sure, I know all about the Pam/silicone trick.  Its a design problem:  The impeller/auger assembly doesn't move fast enough, or have enough torque to toss it out of the chute.  I've tried modifying it and "tweaking" it or whatever.  10" on the ground tonight, and slow speed was too fast.  The engine is strong enough, in fact I dont' think the transmission is strong enough to stall the motor.  

Its better than shoveling by hand. 

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #28   Dec 22, 2008 7:18 pm
I have an Ariens 1128DLE Pro 924508 And It is a great machine. It did plug with slush until I installed Clarences impeller kit and now it is flawless. My Honda hs624 will still give it a run for its money but the Ariens is a great machine as it is the last year they made this style before the changes took place. I would never have considered a machine with an electric shoot.

borat

Reply #29   Dec 22, 2008 7:49 pm
nhmatt wrote:
I can't be harsh enough.  Every time I use that thing I have to work on it.  Whether it be a shear pin or a loose belt or a frozen shute or a clogged impeller.  SLUSH OMG!!!!! I totally forgot.  it doesn't throw slushy snow more than 5'.  It cloggs more than it thows.  Sure, I know all about the Pam/silicone trick.  Its a design problem:  The impeller/auger assembly doesn't move fast enough, or have enough torque to toss it out of the chute.  I've tried modifying it and "tweaking" it or whatever.  10" on the ground tonight, and slow speed was too fast.  The engine is strong enough, in fact I dont' think the transmission is strong enough to stall the motor.  

Its better than shoveling by hand. 

I bought a used (and abused) Craftsman snow thrower from my brother-in-law almost twenty years ago.  It was a 10 h.p. 32" model.   The only thing that worked well on it was the Tecumseh L head engine. 

That machine operated like it was on a timer.   I swear that there was a self-destruct timer on it somewhere.  I'd get exactly 45 minute use out of it before something would let go.  Seriously.  I had a string tied across the handle bar where I had three or four frequently used combination wrenches dangling from it.   Most common problems were the chute falling off, auger jumping out of the end bushings,  belts jumping off,  and my all time favourite was when the bolts holding the intake scoop would rattle out and the machine would almost break in half.   The machine had been taken apart so many times that most of the welded nuts that held it together were either stripped or very close to it.  Nothing would stay tight.  Even the engine would start to rattle loose after half an hour or so.  I'd have to pull  out a wrench and torque it down.  Good thing I was young and energetic when I owned that headache.   One can only remain young, energetic and stupid for so long.   I decided to part it out.  I didn't want anyone else to experience the grief that thing was capable of meting out.     The funny thing was that when I was parting it out, a guy I worked with said he was interested in buying the whole machine.  I warned him that it was nothing but trouble.  He said he was more than aware of how bad they were because he owned one just like it and had the same problems I had.    He said he needed only certain parts from the drive system and considering the engine was good, he'd try to make one decent machine out of the two.  Didn't happen.  Sure, he fixed the drive system but the other problems didn't go away????  

PACKO

Reply #30   Dec 22, 2008 9:50 pm
That story made my day....a good laugh...Great visuals.............THANKS!
Packo
nibbler

Impeller
Reply #31   Dec 23, 2008 8:12 am
Possible causes, least likely to most:
  1. Next time you remove the pulley cover measure the auger system pulley maybe its too small and the impeller RPM is too low;
  2. Make sure you put the choke in the "off" ( a.k.a. open or run) position;
  3. If you go too slow there isn't enough load on the engine the governor won't cause the engine to rev up, you can hear the difference when it happens, try a higher speed setting;
  4. The belt is too loose and slips whenever the auger/impeller is under load.
pvrp

Reply #32   Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Oh My God.  I had to join this site just to vent.

I think you may have bought the wrong machine for your needs.

nhmatt wrote:

1.)  The snowblower is balanced with all the weight under the wheels, so it rides up.  If you pull up on the handles the wheels just spin. 
Unlock the wheels and only one wheel spins.  Horrible, horrible traction.  Chains?  Tried it.  Weight kit?  Tried it.   This machine sucks.

You misunderstand the operation of the differential.  The idea is to have power going to both wheels, whether or
not you're turning.   Just like on a car this works very well as long as both wheels have traction.  But the way the
differential works is that it will end up sending all the power to the wheel which loses traction (like on ice).   If
you don't want this to happen you have to manually lock the wheels (the new limited slip differential will do this
for you).

nhmatt wrote:
2.) Chute is off center, so snow goes left easier than going right.

I don't see how the snow could exit the chute if it was in the center of the machine.  The snow comes
off the impeller tangent  to the rotation of its blades and if you want the direction to be "up", so you can
then send it somewhere useful, the chute will have to be on one side of the impeller.

nhmatt wrote:

3.) You will only need 3 gears:  Reverse, 1st and 6th.  Because the impeller/auger doesn't spin fast enough to get rid of more than 4" of snow at a pass if you go any faster than gear 1, and 6 will get you back to the garage after you get the piece of junk started again.  BAD GEAR RATIO!!!!!!!  I bet its because the pully is the same one used for a smaller bucket, but no one bothered to do the math on engine speed/auger speed.  Piss poor engineering.

This is why I think you picked the wrong model for your needs.  In my mind a 36" wide machine is for quickly clearing
a large area of snow that is not too thick.   For deep snow you want a narrow machine.  Especially for something like the
snowbank left by the city plow.  The first cut into this has to be the full width of the machine and 36" is asking too much.

Paul
This message was modified Dec 23, 2008 by pvrp
nhmatt

Reply #33   Dec 24, 2008 6:41 am
I absolutely bought the wrong machine.   But I don't undestand your point that a 13hp machine with a 36" bucket shouldn't be able to spit 6" of snow in the lowest gear possible.   This is the first time I've had someone suggest I should have a smaller machine, because I'm asking too much work from the biggest, baddest, snowblower ariens could make.    I believe my point WAS that this machine couldn't do the job I was asking of it, which is anthing more than 6" of powder.  Go figure, a snowblower that's affraid to get wet.

If you look at the honda the chute is directly at the top of the impeller, making the throwing distance the same to either side.  Also, they don't put the battery directly in the path of the snow coming out of the chute (not that you should waste your money on electric start with a honda).  Maybe that's the reason in 10 years it only clogged when I sucked up a blue tarp.

I will be the first to admit I bought the wrong machine.  Its great to turn as you head back to the garage to gas up (gas hog) or to tighten the belt, or to let the auger/impeller thaw out because it doesn't like to get wet.  Honestly, buy a cheap, cheap cheap machine instead of wasting your money on an expensive one that was built cheaply.

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #34   Dec 24, 2008 7:05 am
I have a Honda at work and at home and both have the chute off center.

nhmatt

Reply #35   Dec 24, 2008 11:00 am
Ok Ok.  I understand what you mean with the need for release of snow at the tangent to the circle, and how its going to be off-center no matter what if you want to get all you can from the centrifugal force of the impeller.  Just like throwing a discus.  But take a good look inside both chutes, working and not,  and you'll notice how much more the snow bounces around in the ariens, and how the chute/auger in the honda spins the snow out.  Maybe its the size/speed of the impellers, where a faster impeller would mean it could be smaller and therefore less of a difference from right to left or whatever you want. 

Honda throws the snow farther, and its not just the power of the motor.   I've had a lot of xtra time to think about it while I'm working on this machine, instead of actually using this machine.  Other ariens may be fine, but this one model is a dud.

This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by nhmatt
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #36   Dec 24, 2008 3:16 pm
The Honda has a much smaller space between the impeller and the housing. This is why it throws like it does. If you install a Clarence impeller kit o n the Ariens it will become a new beast. I know because I did it on my 1128dle.
http://smllengns.tripod.com/

borat

Reply #37   Dec 24, 2008 6:22 pm
The clearance between the impeller vanes and housing on my  Simplicity looks to be around 1/16th of an inch.  It throws snow better than anything I've used before.  I agree that closer vane/housing tolerance will eject snow further and at a faster rate.
fpjungle

Reply #38   Dec 31, 2008 11:57 pm
I couldn't agree more that the 1336 Pro is an expensive piece of junk. I am looking foward to all the breakdowns described because i've been lucky there so far but I've got a 2 year old machine. My complaint is that it could not cut through 4" of powdered snow without clogging.  After an hour or so of this recently I had had it and sent it into a snow bank and got my shovel. After a half hour of shoveling, I broke the shovel over the 1336. Poor shovel!  I've tried silicone, WD40, belts, Etc.  I hear Honda is the one. Ariens chute design is a LOSER!!
borat

Reply #39   Jan 1, 2009 11:16 am
fpjungle wrote:
I couldn't agree more that the 1336 Pro is an expensive piece of junk. I am looking foward to all the breakdowns described because i've been lucky there so far but I've got a 2 year old machine. My complaint is that it could not cut through 4" of powdered snow without clogging.  After an hour or so of this recently I had had it and sent it into a snow bank and got my shovel. After a half hour of shoveling, I broke the shovel over the 1336. Poor shovel!  I've tried silicone, WD40, belts, Etc.  I hear Honda is the one. Ariens chute design is a LOSER!!

Don't rule out Simplicity/Snapper.  They're top notch.
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #40   Jan 1, 2009 11:39 am
I agree that the machines should not clog but they do. For aprox $35 and an hour install give Clarences impeller kit a try. Your machine will not clog and you will be amazed. I have a Honda and Ariens And yes the Honda is a quality machine but the Ariens once modified with the impeller kit becomes a new machine. Spend a few bucks and use what you got or sell it and spend more and get the Honda.

jdmcsnow

Reply #41   Jan 16, 2009 10:32 am
I've had a 12/36 ST for 11 years, using it for business approximately 60 hrs a season in various states of snow conditions from slushy to chunky ice. I've ran news papers through it and made confetti, hit conrete trowels and chunked them out into scrap metal, ran gravel like a machine gun and basically abused the machine. I maintain and paint it regularly. In the off season it gets all points maint. Before xmas 08, I was having carb issues and had to order a new carb from Ariens. (11yrs of abuse later) While it was on order, a storm was expected and since I have alot of people counting on me, I decided it was time to upgrade to the machine I had been drooling over for 5 or so years. The 1336 DLE.  So December 27, 2008 I bought it for 3345.00 in Denver. This machine is above and beyond the awesomeness of the 12/36. I have to down throw snow because it is a launcher. The automatic differential is great, the quick turn chute is an arm saver, and heated handles means I can go gloveless if I want. If you are having problems, you either got a lemon, or the setup is wrong from the dealer. (govener, carb or?) I would not go around bad mouthing the best snow removal machines ever made. All others are just inferior, period. Hopefully they (Ariens, not your dealer) will hook you up with another machine or dial it in properly for you.

Good Luck

xenorias

Reply #42   Jan 16, 2009 11:22 am
I accidentally ran over a Sears catalog with my Ariens 1130DLE, and it turned it in confettis... My wife wasn't too happy about that! The catalog, of course... The snowblower did not suffer any damage at all.

I just had to stop the engine to remove the plastic bag that had wrapped around the auger axle... And pickup all those tiny pieces of paper before they fly in the neighbor's front yard!

nhmatt

Reply #43   Jan 18, 2009 8:47 am
There is an Ariens dealer 8 minutes from my house, and although I didn't purchase my snowblower from them the proximity of this dealer (I get everything else from them, chainsaws, mowers, trimmers, blowers ect) was the decisive reason I strayed from Honda.  POINT BLANK:   The manager of this store owns the 1336dle as his personal snowblower and he AGREES with me that this is a poorly designed machine.  I was there buying belts and I started getting into my gripes and HE REAFFIRMED EVERY MISGIVING I HAVE ABOUT THIS MACHINE!!!!!!!!!  That's when I knew I wasn't crazy.  The bucket, impeller, weight, balance are out-of-whack.  It may do a great job on easy snow but you will be disappointed.  His only suggestion was to throttle down the motor a bit and "GO SLOW".  So much for the larger machine.

One thing I will say about Ariens is they are easy to work on, and in the single year I've had mine I should know.  I like the way on my honda I don't have to line up the auger (in the dark)  find the sheared bolt through the grease on the axle(in the dark) and tap through the broken piece then reinsert my new shear bolt (in the dark).

The automatic chute on the 1336dle is nice- when it works

The differential is nice when youre turning.  My model has a wheel lock and not the trigger.  I find the wheels spin out when I don't have it locked, because I'm either trying to scrape up something or I'm going too fast.   This would be a nice feature to actually be able to "use", mostly I only use it when I have to lug it back to the garage because something is "out of tune".   This machine clogs with slush, and will jam the impeller.  I don't believe there are any different parts on my machine than any other. 

In no way,shap,or form does this machine even come close to the throwing distance of a Honda.

The motor is strong enough, but loud and uses too much gas.   Is it tuned?  As tuned as its going to get.

jdmcsnow

Reply #44   Jan 26, 2009 9:34 pm
Well, all I can say is the Ariens12/36ST I had ate everything that was thrown at it, commercially a money maker for 11 hard years. I've only been running this new 1336DLE Pro for a month so I don't know if problems are coming or not. So far its been chawing up ice plow truck berms and last night I ate a Sunday Vail Daily and kept on going. I haven't busted a shear pin yet. Today it was 32 degree slushy blower clogging crap and I was worried. NO PROBLEM!!  It was like Niagra Falls flying out of there. The temp swings have been awful since I've had this machine, and I have'nt clogged a chute yet. I can't understand why yours can't handle your driveway?...It has to be crippled somehow.

Confused, Hope you get it dialed

nhmatt

Reply #45   Jan 27, 2009 7:52 pm
I didn't get it dialed.  I got it SOLD!  I bought a 2007 HS1132tas for $1500, and then dumped the orange piece of junk on craigslist.  Glad to be rid of it. 

The Ariens shear pins are pretty tough to break, much harder than the Honda but I hated the way you have to line the impeller up, then knock out the left-over piece in the center (all full of grease and hard to see in the dark)  then finally tap in the new one.  The Honda's are on  the outside, parallel to the auger and fall out when they break.  I could change one in the dark.

I'm surprised your unit does very well in wet snow.  I've never had a snowblower clog as often as that Ariens.   The only time my old Honda clogged was when I sucked up a blue tarp by accident.    The new Honda is an absolute beast.  I'm guessing it would tire me out if using all day, but I'm done my driveway at least 1/2 hour sooner, and it does a MUCH better job.  The Ariens moved r easy when not running, and the differential is nice when you're on tar and making tight corners but these are things that are great in the showroom, and of very little importance when actually using a snowblower.   I used to have 4 properties that I cleared myself with my old honda 828, and other than a few shearpins there was not one single issue in 8 years of operation. 

Ariens sucks.

cloggedchute

Reply #46   Mar 2, 2009 11:16 am
My Ariens kept clogging and dumping "logs" of wet snow instead of throwing the snow - I was unhappy - especially after reading this thread and the complaints of others.  I decided to call Ariens before taking a sledge hammer to the machine.

They said, "check the impellor drive belt - it has probably stretched and is slipping, preventing the impellor from throwing properly.  Take the belt cover off, hold down the auger handle and see if belt is tight."  I tried that  - the belt was so loose I am surprised it could throw any snow.   Only took two 1/2" wrenches to loosen idler pulley and move it to tighten belt when engaged.  I took the snowblower out again in today's 8" of heavy, wet snow and it threw it further than it had ever thrown!!!

So, if blower is not throwing well, check impellor belt tension before getting ticked off.  I didn't do this until forcing the machine through the job - would have taken a third of the time if I had checked and adjusted the belt before I started, or when I saw it wasn't throwing well.

terrier

Reply #47   Mar 2, 2009 5:48 pm
Had a Honda 928 with tracks. Biggest piece of crap ever. Sold to some guy who thought Hondas were the best thing going. Bought an Ariens 9526DLE two years ago. Best snowblower I have ever had, no trouble at all, throws far better than the Honda ever did, without all the Honda issues.
aa335

Reply #48   Mar 2, 2009 7:13 pm
terrier wrote:
Had a Honda 928 with tracks. Biggest piece of crap ever. Sold to some guy who thought Hondas were the best thing going. Bought an Ariens 9526DLE two years ago. Best snowblower I have ever had, no trouble at all, throws far better than the Honda ever did, without all the Honda issues.

You sold your Honda 928 to a guy that thought that Hondas were the best thing going.  And you bought Ariens 9526DLE, the best snowblower you ever had.  Awesome! That's great!!!  Both the Honda guy and the Ariens guy got what they wanted.  Its a win-win situation. 

The Honda 928 with tracks is known as Honda HS928TA.  Of course being the previous owner of this snowblower, you already knew that.  And if you had spent reasonable amount of seat time getting to know and setting up your equipment as well as adjusting your technique of snowblowing, you may have come to a reasonable conclusion that this piece of equipment has some capabilities and some quirks of its own.  Your current snowblower, the Ariens 9526DLE, has been well praised for having the right balance of power and maneuverability, and the cutting width is suitable to most homeowners.  Its price is neither inexpensive or exorbitant. 

Can you elaborate on your disappointment with examples on how the Honda is a "biggest piece of crap"?  Absolutes such as "best, ever, and all" are inaccurate and rarely exempt from exception to the rule.  Provide examples of throwing distances of the two products you mentioned and "all the Honda issues" would be a good start.  No one wants to be an uninformed buyer spending $2500 on an snowblower and not be happy with it.

This message was modified Mar 3, 2009 by aa335
nhmatt

Reply #49   Mar 2, 2009 7:48 pm
terrier wrote:

Sorry, I call Bull Sh*t.  There's no Ariens that comes close to a Honda.  No way. I've owned both and have had the pleasure (and displeasure) of testing both machines side by side on the same driveway with the same snow.   If you don't like tracks, I can understand.  Hard(er) to turn, more money, harder to turn, more money, harder to turn.  Great having a differential in a world where you only have snow and no ice.  That $3,000 Ariens could not handle a 5% grade.  Easy turning = Bad traction.  Good for the showroom but bad for the driveway.

Ok, if you don't need tracks then don't get tracks.  But if you need tracks they're better than anything.  I can scrape a hockey pond with my Honda AFTER a 200'  trip into the woods.  I can also dig through packed snow.  The Ariens was great with 6" of powder, but even on the lowest speed the impeller can't throw a whole bucket of snow REGARDLESS of any clearance kit or whatever. 

Check the prices on a used snowblower, and that's a good indication on the quality/customer satisfaction of a machine.  Honda's hold their value better than Ariens.  Much, much, much better.

No friggin' way.  A Honda would eat an Ariens. 

aa335

Reply #50   Mar 2, 2009 9:40 pm
Go easy on the guy, or gal.  Give him/her a chance to explain.
This message was modified Mar 2, 2009 by aa335
terrier

Reply #51   Mar 6, 2009 2:43 pm
Thanks for defending my right to my opinion. Some people just seem to get fixated on a particular brand or model of snowblower, lawnmower or whatever. I don't like or dislike Honda products in particular. Same for Ariens. I have a lawnmower with a Honda engine. Great lawnmower, great engine. Having said that, I don't like Ariens lawnmowers. My Honda 928 just didn't work for me. Either rode up over snowdrifts or if I put front right down, the tracks just spun and nothing happened. Admittedly, I only have one lot to clear, not several so I don't have the same experience as some of you. NHMatt probably takes his Honda snowblower into the house with him at night so he can be close to it. Final word, I hit a tomato cage with my 928. Shear pin didn't shear, the auger essentially buckled. I had to have it heated and straightened. Fellow that repaired it commented that he wan't surprised that the auger buckled after hitting a flimsy tomato cage. He said that the auger just didn't seem to be very strongly built and that you probably wouldn't want to hit any ice with it. Outraged comments aren't necessary. It's good that NHMatt is extremely happy with his Honda snowblower. For me, the 9526DLE is a far better machine. I don't feel that there is any reason to compare the two machines point by point. People buy and own what they want, for their own reasons. This forum is great, by the way.
aa335

Reply #52   Mar 6, 2009 10:26 pm
I have to agree with NHmatt on his call.  Nothing you said has indicated that the Honda is a piece of crap, or that the Ariens is a better machine.  The Ariens may suit your needs, expectation, patience, or use better, but thats about it.  You may feel you don't have to compare how a snowblower perform point by point, but without fair basis of comparison and real data, how did you ever arrive any conclusion?

I'm not convinced that the Ariens you mentioned will throw snow far better than the Honda.  Maybe the Ariens throws better in some situations, and the Honda better in others.  But far better is an exaggeration.   I'm also not convinced that the Honda rode up over snowdrifts any easier than the Ariens.   What position did you have the bucket in?  The condition you described is more likely with a wheeled snowblower instead of a tracked one.  Any snowblower will ride up if the forward speed is so high that the auger does not have time to move the hard packed snow in front of it. 

You hit a tomato cage, while flimsy, have wrapped itself around the auger and the force was not enough to snap the shear pin but bent or buckled the auger instead.  A tomato cage may look flimsy, but it has extremely strong tensile strength for its weight.   I'm not sure if any other snowblower exposed to the same situation would have fared worse or better than your expectation of just a broken shear pin instead of an expensive auger repair.  Was the correct shear pin used instead of any 4mm bolt?

I don't understand your comment about Ariens lawnmower.  "great lawnmower, great engine".  How can you say something is great and not liking it?  Too heavy, awkward to steer, costs too much money, flimsy? Would you like the lawnmower if it wore a Snapper brand and painted in red?   Sorry to digress.  Also, I'm not aware of any Ariens walk behind mower with a Honda engine, except of the new ones I saw at Sears.  These were budget mowers which are designed to specific market and pricepoints and may not represent an "Ariens lawnmower."

This message was modified Mar 6, 2009 by aa335
borat

Reply #53   Mar 6, 2009 11:26 pm
aa335:  Reasonable deductions and conclusions.  I agree with much of what you've said. 

Tomato cages at least the ones that I use, are far from flimsy.  One has to question how a tomato cage gets into a snow thrower in the first place?    If my snow thrower ate a tomato cage, I'd consider myself as getting off very lightly with bent augers versus a broken gear box or bent shafts.   

Bottom line and this is just my personal opinion, Ariens had their day as a premium snow thrower.  That day has gone.  At best, they are capable, middle of the road machines.  They do not rank with a Honda in any comparison measurement other than possibly throwing distance/volume (when new).   The Honda will run stronger, longer and more efficiently than late model Ariens machines.  Ariens have taken the "easy way to the money" route by compromising build quality to meet box store purchasing prices.   

Honda, as with most Japanese manufacturers will not sacrifice fifty years of building a reputation for quality to make a fast buck.   Unfortunately, the manufacturing sector in North America  do not share the same principles.   That and the financial sector's lack of scruples are  a couple of good reasons we're in the sh!t can we're in today.  

Look at the auto sector.  If the domestic manufacturers had read the writing on the wall thirty years ago and built Asian quality cars back then, do you think they'd be in trouble today?    Even if they had equaled Asian car quality just ten years ago, they'd still be viable because we'd be buying their cars.  Nope.  Hubris and arrogance  kept their heads up their a$$es until they ground the industry into the dirt.   I don't see Ariens deviating from the auto sectors way of doing things.   Keep building them cheaper each year to make the profit margins until the public no longer believes in the name.  Sooner or later, compromising build quality will destroy the faith of the customer and complete failure of the industry will be certain.    There's a lot to be learned from these hard times. 

This message was modified Mar 7, 2009 by borat
terrier

Reply #54   Mar 7, 2009 6:54 pm
aa335 and borat:
I respect both your opinions. You both seem very knowledgeable about snowblowers. I am not as knowledgeable about them as you are because I'm not as interested in them as you seem to be. I use and appreciate well designed and built machinery but I am not passionate about them.
The tomato cage my Honda ingested was buried under a snowbank. I should have known it was there but I didn't until too late. Honda had factory original shear pins etc. Possibly Ariens would also have bent auger, who knows? I hope never to find out. I repeat that the experienced welder who repaired the auger agreed with me that it was NOT a strong part. I have owned a number of snowblowers over the years. Have never had any real problems with any of them. I maintain machinery properly and use snowblowers in an appropriate manner. Please accept that I intensely disliked the Honda 928 and do not consider it to be the marvel you seem to think it is. I simply find the Ariens better to use. In other words, I think it is BETTER suited to my particular situation.
I seem to have confused aa335 with my lawnmower comment. My current lawnmower is a LawnBoy with a Honda engine. I like the Honda engine. It seems to be quieter and more vibration free than the L head tecumseh engine on my last Toro. I don't like Ariens lawnmowers because they are rather heavy and clumsy to use. And yes, I have owned an Ariens lawnmower some years ago. Borat is not very accurate in his appraisal of Japanese vs. North American cars. Any number of sources, including JDPower adknowledge that North American cars are equal to, and in some cases are superior to Asian vehicles. Go on the internet. Any number of sources will validate this. Some years ago, japanese cars simply dissolved and rusted away in a year or two in my part of the world. I owned a 1978 Honda Accord. Unreliable, expensive parts and flimsy. I did enjoy driving it before it dissolved. Anyway, I'm not going to post any more on this matter. I enjoy reading the forum and have for a few years now. These discussions are good reading but nobody's mind ever gets changed. People buy on emotion and then attempt to rationalize their decision. Consumers like or dislike machinery (and everything else) based on their own particular view of the world.
trouts2

Reply #55   Mar 7, 2009 7:25 pm

Terrier said:

1/  throws far better than the Honda ever did

That’s just not possible unless the Honda was broken.  The Honda easily beats an Ariens of similar horsepower or higher easily.  That comes from using newer Ariens machines in the same conditions against a 15 or so year old Honda 8hp track. 

2/ My Honda 928 just didn't work for me. Either rode up over snowdrifts or if I put front right down, the tracks just spun and nothing happened.

Either you did not use it properly or it was broken/out of some alignment.   All you say may be your experience but it’s not typical of what a Honda can do.  Their motor cranks are on roller bearings and spin faster than a Tecumseh.  The augers and impellers rotate faster and throw much better than an Ariens.  Honda’s generally will easily out toss a similar hp Ariens or any other US machine. 

I have two Yamaha track 6hp 24 inch machines which are very similar to Honda tracks.  They easily stay up with 8’s and 9’s and match 10’s.  In all around capability the 624 is much easier to use. 

The Honda track was used to clear and 8th mile of very steep hill which it did easily and did not slip. 

The tracks are a bear to move when not running which I often hear but who would be dump enough to do that?  Their wicked easy to start and move unless a U turn in a tight spot. 

Your experience with your Honda is unfortunate but it seems you had a broken machine.

David

pvrp

Reply #56   Mar 7, 2009 8:01 pm
trouts2 wrote:

Terrier said:

1/  throws far better than the Honda ever did

That’s just not possible unless the Honda was broken.  The Honda easily beats an Ariens of similar horsepower or higher easily.  That comes from using newer Ariens machines in the same conditions against a 15 or so year old Honda 8hp track. 

Have you tried a 2008  9526DLE or similar  ?  If it threw further it would be dangerous.
I also have a 1999 Ariens pro and there's a big difference.

Paul
aa335

Reply #57   Mar 7, 2009 9:38 pm

Terrier

I still don't understand how the "experienced welder" agreeing with your assessment of the auger as not being a STRONG part has anything to do with a snowblower.  Strong enough to do what?  Till your  soil, dig trenches, or excavate earth for foundation?  Even if the Honda auger is not as strong as the Ariens, so what?  Maybe your welder was pissed because it was a b*tch to reshape those augers.  Maybe he would rather lay down a bead or a couple of tack welds and be done with it instead of softening it by reheating and then heat treat it again.  Maybe he's agreeing with you because you're the customer and paying the bill. 

If you look at the auger a little more closely, it is designed with more thought about strength than merely slapping on the heavy and thick metal.  Look at where the weld points are, where the bracing of the helical coil to the shaft occurs, and stiffening of the auger without using much materials.  HINT:  Look at corrugated boxes, u-channel, and I-beams.  Remember that being heavier and thicker means that it requires more power, exerts more stress on surrounding components, makes the machine slower and perform worse.   I don't see the Honda auger as not a strong part.  It is designed to do what it is supposed to do, to move snow towards the impeller.  It is not designed to take on steel wire or to drill holes in the ground.

I am clear now about your statement of lawnmowers.  You like Lawnboy, hate Ariens.

You indicated that you are not as passionate about snowblower, but you seemed to be passionate about expressing your disappointment.  That's fine, this is a forum where people express their views.  But if you were to contributing to the forum with your first post by bad mouthing a product, be prepared to defend your opinions.

This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by aa335
trouts2

Reply #58   Mar 7, 2009 9:56 pm

pvrp:

>>Have you tried a 2008  9526DLE or similar  ?  If it threw further it would be dangerous.

>>I also have a 1999 Ariens pro and there's a big difference.

What’s so hot about a 2008 9526 or similar that it’s got some magical distance ability?   Does is have a higher impeller speed?  New shape of impeller, auger housing, blades, impeller outlet, chute design that’s going to make it very different than – you did not give the alternative just that it’s great and possibly dangerous. 

You have a 1999 that is different than what?  A Honda or the 9526?  Different in what way?  Have you tried the 9526 and compared it to what in similar conditions?  

What horsepower is your 1999?  What’s it’s compression condition. 

I had an Ariens 10hp (approx 2003-4) which was rebuilt and threw very well. An 8hp Yamaha could beat it.  The Yamaha was 15 years older.

I think Ariens has recently moved to 1300 impeller speed which start to get it caught up to Japanese Honda and Yamaha machines.  The Yamaha has 4 roller bearings in the auger gearcase and arms supported by roller bearings.

So what’s your point?  The 9526 is wicked dangerous.  How does it throw compared to … related to the ongoing discussion?

david

pvrp

Reply #59   Mar 7, 2009 11:51 pm
trouts2 wrote:

So what’s your point?  The 9526 is wicked dangerous.  How does it throw compared to … related to the ongoing discussion?

And what are you so uptight about ?

I asked if you'd tried a recent Ariens because first, I don't think you have, and second because they throw a lot
better than they used to.  So if someone today says it'll outthrow a (smaller, older ?)  Honda I wouldn't be surprised.  
Personally I wouldn't want an Ariens (pro) to throw further than it does.  I have no reason to send my snow into the
yard of the guy across the street, but I could with my new Ariens.

Paul
This message was modified Mar 7, 2009 by pvrp
borat

Reply #60   Mar 8, 2009 5:51 pm
terrier wrote:
aa335 and borat:
I respect both your opinions. You both seem very knowledgeable about snowblowers. I am not as knowledgeable about them as you are because I'm not as interested in them as you seem to be. I use and appreciate well designed and built machinery but I am not passionate about them.
The tomato cage my Honda ingested was buried under a snowbank. I should have known it was there but I didn't until too late. Honda had factory original shear pins etc. Possibly Ariens would also have bent auger, who knows? I hope never to find out. I repeat that the experienced welder who repaired the auger agreed with me that it was NOT a strong part. I have owned a number of snowblowers over the years. Have never had any real problems with any of them. I maintain machinery properly and use snowblowers in an appropriate manner. Please accept that I intensely disliked the Honda 928 and do not consider it to be the marvel you seem to think it is. I simply find the Ariens better to use. In other words, I think it is BETTER suited to my particular situation.
I seem to have confused aa335 with my lawnmower comment. My current lawnmower is a LawnBoy with a Honda engine. I like the Honda engine. It seems to be quieter and more vibration free than the L head tecumseh engine on my last Toro. I don't like Ariens lawnmowers because they are rather heavy and clumsy to use. And yes, I have owned an Ariens lawnmower some years ago. Borat is not very accurate in his appraisal of Japanese vs. North American cars. Any number of sources, including JDPower adknowledge that North American cars are equal to, and in some cases are superior to Asian vehicles. Go on the internet. Any number of sources will validate this. Some years ago, japanese cars simply dissolved and rusted away in a year or two in my part of the world. I owned a 1978 Honda Accord. Unreliable, expensive parts and flimsy. I did enjoy driving it before it dissolved. Anyway, I'm not going to post any more on this matter. I enjoy reading the forum and have for a few years now. These discussions are good reading but nobody's mind ever gets changed. People buy on emotion and then attempt to rationalize their decision. Consumers like or dislike machinery (and everything else) based on their own particular view of the world.

Don't know what planet you've been living on for the last six months but it doesn't sound like the same one I'm on.  Read the news, go on the internet to do some research on the existing North American auto industry situation.   Regardless of the JD Power ratings (usually assessed on INITIAL quality), which is dubious at best, there is a problem with North American vehicle quality compared to Asian vehicles.  Even the Koreans are building better vehicles.    If the domestic vehicle brands are as good as you claim they are, maybe you can explain why people won't buy them despite the fact that they're a couple grand less?   North American auto manufacturers have lost market share year after year since the introduction of Asian cars.  Maybe you can explain how that happened?    The domestic manufacturers can only buy so much propaganda.   Sooner or later, the consumer with have the last say.  When that last expression to buy Asian over domestic becomes so frequent that the domestics cannot compete, one can only conclude that the consumer is not happy with the domestic offerings and you can rest assured that it's not based on styling.   Style doesn't keep the car out of the service bay.  Know what I mean?

I've got many years of experience with both domestic and Asian brands.  For me, there is no comparison.  I have operated Toyotas for a fraction of the cost for an equivalent domestic.  I am not exaggerating.  My present 1996 Toyota pick up has cost me less in twelve years than my Ford pick did in one year.   I have not put a dime in repairs in my Toyota.  Maintenance (tires, batteries, oil change etc.) not included.  Repair costs are for things that fail.  All of my North American vehicles required at least $500.00/year, for every year of ownership.  I'd estimate that total repair costs for thirty years of Toyota ownership is less than $1000.00.   That's why I've been buying them since 1979.  If you've have good luck with your domestic vehicle good for you.  From the way the market has shifted away from North American vehicles you might be the exception rather than the rule.  If you can think of another reason consumers  are buying Asian vehicles in preference to domestics, I'd be interested in hearing it,

terrier

Reply #61   Mar 9, 2009 3:27 pm
Borat; I don't really see what your views on japanese vs domestic automobiles has to do with snowblowers, but whatever. You may have driven japanese cars since 1979 but you don't seem to be aware of the issues they have. Are you aware there is a recall for your year toyota pickup because the frames rust out and the bodies fall off on occasion. Happened to my brother in law. There was also a class action suit against toyota/lexus because their v6 engines were sludging up due to inadequate oil channels in the engine block. The engines would simply seize up and have to be replace at a cost of thousands. The issue with leaky transmissions on both lexus and toyota. The transmissions on 2004 and newer highlander transmissions that won't shift gears. The list goes on. Look up toyota problems on the internet. Lots of toyota/lexus problems listed on lots of sites. Incidentally, JDPower evaluates many other factors besides initial quality. Look it up. Many other sites will also verify that many domestic cars are the equal to, or in some cases better than their japanese competition. Look them up so I don't have to list them all for you. Like you, I have extensive mechanical experience. I don't want or have to rebuild my own engines anymore, but I probably still could if I had to.
You mention propaganda put out by the domestic manufacturers. I see a lot of crap from toyota that I would certainly classify as propaganda, no different from the domestics.
The new Malibu would seem to be the equal of any toyota, according to the numerous road tests I have read. You may not agree that the new Malibu is a good car but you are simply uninformed and would seem not to be privy to much new information regarding the changing automotive world. Some Korean cars are now excellent cars, Hyundai comes to mind.
The average male person thinks he knows everything there is to know about cars. tv's, stereos and appliances. Unfortunately, the ones I talk to daily in my business don't seem to know much about anything. Lots of opinions, but not much actual knowledge. I think that Honda cars are much superior to toyota cars but this is an emotional reaction.
REMEMBER, this whole dialogue started because I am of the opinion that MY particular Honda 928 snowblower was a piece of crap, and that for me the Ariens 9526DLE is plain and simple, a better machine. People who own snowblowers that are more expensive (ie Hondas) feel compelled to justify their choice. Everything I read on this forum is just personal experience and preference. All brands have produced examples that are great and ones that don't work as their new owners hoped. I realize now that you just need to be right and that nothing anyone says will change your somewhat exalted view of all things japanese. Do us both a favour and let this be the last exchange on this subject. I come to this forum to read about snowblowers and nothing else.
aa335

Reply #62   Mar 9, 2009 4:34 pm
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #63   Mar 9, 2009 6:53 pm
What the heck is happening on this forum?? Several threads now drifting with anger. I will throw my 2 cents in. I was always a Chevy guy. Never had a major problem. Decided a few years back to try a Toyota Tacoma. Newest generation. Biggest piece of dung ever. Not just my truck either. All over the Toyota forums. My buddy has had Tacomas for years. Great trucks with the exception of the rot bucket years. Newest gen is garbage. My sister purchased a brand new Honda Accord in 2004. Starting to rust out. It is happening accross the board. Not just American. Cheap plastic vehicles with NO STYLE. But I love my Honda and Ariens snowblowers. Oh, I also love pudding
This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by Knee_Biter

borat

Reply #64   Mar 9, 2009 7:10 pm
terrier wrote:
Borat; I don't really see what your views on japanese vs domestic automobiles has to do with snowblowers, but whatever. You may have driven japanese cars since 1979 but you don't seem to be aware of the issues they have. Are you aware there is a recall for your year toyota pickup because the frames rust out and the bodies fall off on occasion. Happened to my brother in law. There was also a class action suit against toyota/lexus because their v6 engines were sludging up due to inadequate oil channels in the engine block. The engines would simply seize up and have to be replace at a cost of thousands. The issue with leaky transmissions on both lexus and toyota. The transmissions on 2004 and newer highlander transmissions that won't shift gears. The list goes on. Look up toyota problems on the internet. Lots of toyota/lexus problems listed on lots of sites. Incidentally, JDPower evaluates many other factors besides initial quality. Look it up. Many other sites will also verify that many domestic cars are the equal to, or in some cases better than their japanese competition. Look them up so I don't have to list them all for you. Like you, I have extensive mechanical experience. I don't want or have to rebuild my own engines anymore, but I probably still could if I had to.
You mention propaganda put out by the domestic manufacturers. I see a lot of crap from toyota that I would certainly classify as propaganda, no different from the domestics.
The new Malibu would seem to be the equal of any toyota, according to the numerous road tests I have read. You may not agree that the new Malibu is a good car but you are simply uninformed and would seem not to be privy to much new information regarding the changing automotive world. Some Korean cars are now excellent cars, Hyundai comes to mind.
The average male person thinks he knows everything there is to know about cars. tv's, stereos and appliances. Unfortunately, the ones I talk to daily in my business don't seem to know much about anything. Lots of opinions, but not much actual knowledge. I think that Honda cars are much superior to toyota cars but this is an emotional reaction.
REMEMBER, this whole dialogue started because I am of the opinion that MY particular Honda 928 snowblower was a piece of crap, and that for me the Ariens 9526DLE is plain and simple, a better machine. People who own snowblowers that are more expensive (ie Hondas) feel compelled to justify their choice. Everything I read on this forum is just personal experience and preference. All brands have produced examples that are great and ones that don't work as their new owners hoped. I realize now that you just need to be right and that nothing anyone says will change your somewhat exalted view of all things japanese. Do us both a favour and let this be the last exchange on this subject. I come to this forum to read about snowblowers and nothing else.

And the reason the N.A. auto sector is facing extinction is????? 

I don't think it's because they can't build enough vehicles.  Could it possibly be that no one wants to buy them? 

I think we've been in denial long enough.  Time to take the blinders off...

This message was modified Mar 9, 2009 by borat
iLikeOrange

Reply #65   Mar 9, 2009 7:26 pm
I do like my mother in laws pecan pie.

aa335

Reply #66   Mar 9, 2009 10:18 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
I do like my mother in laws pecan pie.

Pecan pie, rum, and vanilla ice cream.  Yummm. 

My mother-in-law can't cook anything well.  I had to eat the same thing everytime I come to visit.   I eat it with a big smile and compliment.  She keeps putting more food on my plate. 

I know, should have kept my mouth shut. 

aa335

Reply #67   Mar 9, 2009 10:34 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
What the heck is happening on this forum?? Several threads now drifting with anger. I will throw my 2 cents in. I was always a Chevy guy. Never had a major problem. Decided a few years back to try a Toyota Tacoma. Newest generation. Biggest piece of dung ever. Not just my truck either. All over the Toyota forums. My buddy has had Tacomas for years. Great trucks with the exception of the rot bucket years. Newest gen is garbage. My sister purchased a brand new Honda Accord in 2004. Starting to rust out. It is happening accross the board. Not just American. Cheap plastic vehicles with NO STYLE. But I love my Honda and Ariens snowblowers. Oh, I also love pudding

Happy thoughts.  Happy thoughts.

I was thinking about getting a Tacoma or the new Jeep Rubicon.  I thought those Tacomas were bullet proof, so to speak.  I don't keep them around long for rust to matter.   I put so much miles on them that rust doesn't have a chance to stick.

borat

Reply #68   Mar 10, 2009 9:24 am
aa335 wrote:
Happy thoughts.  Happy thoughts.

I was thinking about getting a Tacoma or the new Jeep Rubicon.  I thought those Tacomas were bullet proof, so to speak.  I don't keep them around long for rust to matter.   I put so much miles on them that rust doesn't have a chance to stick.

I'll tell you what aa335, I know plenty of guys who switched to Tacomas.  Every one, to a man, said it was the best move they've made.  Considering the number of people employed in the N.A. vehicle manufacturing sector, you can rest assured that there will be representatives participating in the forums.  It is unlikely they would present a case for the competition.  If you have any concerns regarding vehicle quality, get yourself a copy of Consumer Reports Magazine and compare the repair records for whatever you're thinking of buying.  I'm certain that you're astute enough to do your research and analyze your results to make the best choice.  Let us know how it goes.    

iLikeOrange

Reply #69   Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am
I've been driving a 1989 Ford F150 for 20 years now. Is this a good truck?

Bill_H

Reply #70   Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:

I can't say ... I had to replace the battery on my 95 F-150 when it was only 12 years old :( 

Rumors are that the new ones aren't as good but we won't really know for another 10 years. I think they discontinued the 5L (302) which is a shame cause they run forever.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #71   Mar 10, 2009 1:10 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:

I don't own a truck.  I dont know you, but I know you your subtraction is right on target.  :)  . 

It may be good, may be bad.  What's your standards and expectations?

Drive it another 20 years and let us know what you think of it.  Some of us might be interested to know if it makes a good lawn ornament.

This message was modified Mar 10, 2009 by aa335
aa335

Reply #72   Mar 10, 2009 1:15 pm
Bill_H wrote:
I can't say ... I had to replace the battery on my 95 F-150 when it was only 12 years old :( 

Rumors are that the new ones aren't as good but we won't really know for another 10 years. I think they discontinued the 5L (302) which is a shame cause they run forever.

I don't care if that truck is a Ford, Chevy, or whatever.  What's the name  brand of that battery?  :)
borat

Reply #73   Mar 10, 2009 3:15 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:

Well that all depends.  If that truck hasn't cost you a lot in repairs, it may very well be a good truck.   Either that or it hasn't been driven very much.

However, being a previous owner of a very similar truck (86' F150), I know from my experience and experiences of others who owned similar vehicles,  that repairs were frequent and expensive.  Let me ask, if you have the 302 c.i. engine, how many times have you had the intake manifold replaced?   I had mine replaced three times in less than five years.  Anyone who claims to have owned a mid '80s F150 and didn't have problems with their 302 engines was a very, very rare owner.  That '86 F150 cost me at the very least, $500.00/yr, every year from day one (right after expiry of the warranty).  How many water pumps have you replaced,?   How about fuel injectors, any of them?   How did your emergency brake hold up?  What about your ball joints?  Any issues there?   It only 50,000 miles on it when I dumped it.   You're reading that right.  Fifty thousand miles!!      That Ford was the last North American vehicle I owned and will ever own.  My  '96 T100 has provided me with twelve years of uninterrupted Toyota bliss.  That, my friend,  is a hard habit to drop.    Not to mention the thirty years total of excellent Toyota reliability my wife has enjoyed.   

Proponents of N.A. vehicles keep telling me that the quality has improved considerable in the last ten years.  Sorry.  Not buying it.   

This message was modified Mar 10, 2009 by borat
iLikeOrange

Reply #74   Mar 10, 2009 3:56 pm
borat wrote:
Well that all depends.  If that truck hasn't cost you a lot in repairs, it may very well be a good truck.   Either that or it hasn't been driven very much.

However, being a previous owner of a very similar truck (86' F150), I know from my experience and experiences of others who owned similar vehicles,  that repairs were frequent and expensive.  Let me ask, if you have the 302 c.i. engine, how many times have you had the intake manifold replaced?   I had mine replaced three times in less than five years.  Anyone who claims to have owned a mid '80s F150 and didn't have problems with their 302 engines was a very, very rare owner.  That '86 F150 cost me at the very least, $500.00/yr, every year from day one (right after expiry of the warranty).  How many water pumps have you replaced,?   How about fuel injectors, any of them?   How did your emergency brake hold up?  What about your ball joints?  Any issues there?   It only 50,000 miles on it when I dumped it.   You're reading that right.  Fifty thousand miles!!      That Ford was the last North American vehicle I owned and will ever own.  My  '96 T100 has provided me with twelve years of uninterrupted Toyota bliss.  That, my friend,  is a hard habit to drop.    Not to mention the thirty years total of excellent Toyota reliability my wife has enjoyed.   

Proponents of N.A. vehicles keep telling me that the quality has improved considerable in the last ten years.  Sorry.  Not buying it.   

4.9L engine. 4WD  165K miles. driven like an ol man or lady I guess. Well cared for (obsesssive waxing)

>>How many water pumps have you replaced,?    One.

>>How about fuel injectors, any of them?    None.

>>How did your emergency brake hold up?  Crapped up due to non-use.

>>What about your ball joints?  One, maybe two.

Amzoil oil changed once a year since day one. To this day does not burn oil. Not a drop.

Yeah there were some issues along the way, but I think I got my $11,800's worth.

I was trolling a bit with my non-response replies as of late. This forum has gotten a bit off focus. Fun to read I guess if you like the tabloid newspapers.

borat

Reply #75   Mar 10, 2009 4:45 pm
You've been very fortunate. 

I forgot to mention I replaced two rear main bearing seals as well and it was leaking again when I dumped it. 

Quite possibly the worst vehicle I've ever owned.  I do not miss that  p.o.s.  one bit.   The only things good that I have to say about it was that it did have a nice ride and wasn't too bad on fuel.  

terrier

Reply #76   Mar 10, 2009 5:28 pm
You would seem to imply that I may be some type of representative for one of the domestic car manufacturers. I'm not. I do however own several businesses that have no relation at all to automobiles. I notice that you were totally unable to respond logically to my comments regarding toyota recalls and rusted out 1995 to 2000 pickups. You don't seem to be interested in verifying any of your prejudices or in discovering that the body of your pickup may fall off the frame. Numerous instances of this happening. Toyota admits these trucks are so dangerous that toyota will buy them back if necessary. In toyota's favour, this is an extremely responsible course of action for them to take. You might try selling your potentially dangerous pickup back to toyota.
My Ariens 9526DLE is still working flawlessly, during it's second season. I did have an issue with the machine spitting snow forward on occasion. Phoned the dealer, I was supplied with a baffle that simply bolted on in about a minute. There was no charge from either the dealer or Ariens for this. Dealer got baffle to me in about 3 days. Excellent company, excellent dealer.
borat

Reply #77   Mar 10, 2009 6:47 pm
terrier wrote:
You would seem to imply that I may be some type of representative for one of the domestic car manufacturers. I'm not. I do however own several businesses that have no relation at all to automobiles. I notice that you were totally unable to respond logically to my comments regarding toyota recalls and rusted out 1995 to 2000 pickups. You don't seem to be interested in verifying any of your prejudices or in discovering that the body of your pickup may fall off the frame. Numerous instances of this happening. Toyota admits these trucks are so dangerous that toyota will buy them back if necessary. In toyota's favour, this is an extremely responsible course of action for them to take. You might try selling your potentially dangerous pickup back to toyota.
My Ariens 9526DLE is still working flawlessly, during it's second season. I did have an issue with the machine spitting snow forward on occasion. Phoned the dealer, I was supplied with a baffle that simply bolted on in about a minute. There was no charge from either the dealer or Ariens for this. Dealer got baffle to me in about 3 days. Excellent company, excellent dealer.

I didn't respond to your comments because I'm not familiar with what you've said nor have I heard elsewhere of your claims.     Is there a possibility that the Toyota models you're referring to were built in the USA or Canada?  I'm pleased to announce that mine was built in Japan.  I made damned sure of that when I bought it.   By the way, the body on my Toyota is as sound as a new truck and probably stronger that what's available today.

Speaking of not responding to queries, I don't recall your response to my question concerning why the domestic auto manufacturers have been losing market share for the last thirty years and virtually unable to sell enough cars in the last five years to stay viable.  Willing to comment on that?  

Glad to hear you like your Ariens.  We'll be here to assist you when you need guidance for inevitable  future issues.

Paul7

Reply #78   Mar 11, 2009 12:49 am
borat wrote:

If you can think of another reason consumers  are buying Asian vehicles in preference to domestics, I'd be interested in hearing it,

Borat I think that a "part" of the reason has to do with a very poor marketing strategy on the part of companies like GM.   Unlike Toyota and Honda, who are focused on building brand loyalty, GM seems to be more interested in launching a new model every 4-5 years. 

For example Toyota came out with the Camray in 1983 and that model continues to flourish today.  By contrast in 1983 I bought a Chevrolet Citation (mid sized family car).  Chevrolet made the Citation from 1980 to 1985.  Then they replaced it with the Chevy Celebrity which was produced until 1989 when it was replaced by the Lumina, which was subsequently replaced by the Impala.  

Detroit strategy to launch a new model every few years makes brand loyalty impossibility.  I loved my Chevy Citation but it's hard to be a repeat customer or recommend a model that’s out of production.  Toyota's strategy was to stay committed to the Camary model and simply keep making it better. Obviously someone that bought a Toyota Camary in 1983 and loved it can still be a repeat buyer and a brand advocate today. 

borat

Reply #79   Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am
This message was modified Mar 11, 2009 by borat
nhmatt

Reply #80   Mar 15, 2009 8:50 pm
I chewed up a gutter downspout with my Honda, but had to stop and unwind a set of Chrismas lights that got tangled in the auger.  Wire is strong.  I also chewed up 2" chunks of solid ice and spit them over 40', so I don't think the augers are flimsy but I'll let you know if I break one.  I also chewed up a plastic snow shovel,  it bit the handle into 3" dowels, but choked on the large plastic blade and I had to stop and chew it  out with a sawzall. 

Why was I hitting all this stuff?  Because the trac model digs down, and doesn't ride on top like the Ariens.  Tracks don't ride up over snowbanks, and Ariens is famous for it so I don't believe that point either.   I don't like the Honda because I like Honda.  I like what works.  Period.   I'm sure the Ariens would work for someone who is just blowing a path or whatever.   But 3 grand?  Sorry.  Overpriced for what you get and I hope you like working on them because they shake themselves apart like an old Harley.

This message was modified Mar 18, 2009 by nhmatt
terrier

Reply #81   Mar 16, 2009 5:35 pm
NHMatt:
My two year old Ariens 9526 DLE simply has not had ANY of the problems or issues you you are so keen to describe at length. I buy new snowblowers every few years because it pleases me to do so. The last three have been Ariens of various sizes and horsepower, kept on average three years. Essentially no problems with any of them. Obviously your experience has been different. I truly hated my Honda 928 for five years until I couldn't stand it any more. COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP, JUNK WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. Different people buy different snowblowers based on their perceived need. You obviously have a real, meaningful relationship with your Honda. Whatever turns you on. My Honda 928 didn't do all the remarkable things yours does. It was simply NOT a good machine, tool, whatever you want to call it. You seem to really enjoy, appreciate, like your Honda snowblower. That's good. If you're into machinery, it's good to own and use a machine that does the job for you. Like you, I totally don't care about the brand of snowblower that I own/use. Maybe next time I'll try a differnt brand, who knows?
borat

Reply #82   Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm
terrier wrote:
NHMatt:
My two year old Ariens 9526 DLE simply has not had ANY of the problems or issues you you are so keen to describe at length. I buy new snowblowers every few years because it pleases me to do so. The last three have been Ariens of various sizes and horsepower, kept on average three years. Essentially no problems with any of them. Obviously your experience has been different. I truly hated my Honda 928 for five years until I couldn't stand it any more. COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP, JUNK WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. Different people buy different snowblowers based on their perceived need. You obviously have a real, meaningful relationship with your Honda. Whatever turns you on. My Honda 928 didn't do all the remarkable things yours does. It was simply NOT a good machine, tool, whatever you want to call it. You seem to really enjoy, appreciate, like your Honda snowblower. That's good. If you're into machinery, it's good to own and use a machine that does the job for you. Like you, I totally don't care about the brand of snowblower that I own/use. Maybe next time I'll try a differnt brand, who knows?

I'm a little perplexed with your comment about replacing your machine every three years because it pleases you to do so.   It's obviously apparent that economics plays no part in your decision making process.  Virtually any machine will last three years and perform more than adequately.  Replacing an Ariens every three years sounds like a bit of an expensive habit.  Not that I'm questioning your decision to do so.  It's your money.  I prefer to buy one hight quality machine, take care of it and run it for ten years or longer.  The thousand plus that I'm not spending on newer snow throwers in that duration buys me other things to enjoy.  I would wager  that 90% of the participant of this forum are long term owners and would rather have one good machine for many years rather than turning them over every three years.  It is an unusual concept.  I heard of it for leasing cars.  Never snow throwers though.   Glad it works for you.   
aa335

Reply #83   Mar 17, 2009 11:17 pm
terrier wrote:
NHMatt:

I'm actually surprised that the Honda 928 which was disliked so much was the one snowblower that was kept the longest (5 years versus 3 years average for the Ariens).  Maybe it's the tracks that doesn't work for you.  The Honda could have sold after 1 year and would not lose much money since they have good resale.  Why keep it around for so long?

On the other hand, a newer (and better?) Ariens was bought on average every 3 years.  Snowblowers don't change that much in the last 10 years, maybe a few more plastic components, more powerful engines, and few more creature comforts such as electric remote chutes and grip warmers.  I'm just trying to understand your logic, that's all.  But it's your money. 

This message was modified Mar 18, 2009 by aa335
aa335

Reply #84   Mar 17, 2009 11:34 pm
borat wrote:
I'll tell you what aa335, I know plenty of guys who switched to Tacomas.  Every one, to a man, said it was the best move they've made.  Considering the number of people employed in the N.A. vehicle manufacturing sector, you can rest assured that there will be representatives participating in the forums.  It is unlikely they would present a case for the competition.  If you have any concerns regarding vehicle quality, get yourself a copy of Consumer Reports Magazine and compare the repair records for whatever you're thinking of buying.  I'm certain that you're astute enough to do your research and analyze your results to make the best choice.  Let us know how it goes.    

From recently and limited exposure, either on forums or publications, the Tacoma is an excellent truck.  With a few exception to the "big 3" fans off-brand bashing without substantial evidence, I consider those are outliers data points, noted for completeness, but are statistically ignored.

At this point, I'm considering whether I really need a truck or a AWD SUV (read tall wagon) would suffice. 

This message was modified Mar 18, 2009 by aa335
nhmatt

Reply #85   Mar 18, 2009 7:38 pm
terrier wrote:
NHMatt:

You're just jealous.  Jealous of the love my Honda snowblower and I share.  What we have together is special.  You WISH you were so happy with yours, which is why you seem so keen on trading them in every 3 years for the newest floosy.  I bet another piece of equipment broke your heart and that's why you won't commit.  Was it a fickle weed wacker?  A jealous and tempermental leaf blower that tossed you down this jaded path?  I don't want to know.  So you buy one every three years because it pleases you?   Whatever turns YOU on buddy, but I'd say I'm like most people who'd rather give money to a dentist than spend money on something you already have.   Also, you have yet to explain why you didn't like the Honda.  Not one example, just a blanket statement "big piece of crap!" is supposed to persuade.  Didn't "work" for you?  You sure you read the instruction manual?

aa335

Reply #86   Mar 19, 2009 1:39 am
nhmatt wrote:
You're just jealous.  Jealous of the love my Honda snowblower and I share.  What we have together is special.  You WISH you were so happy with yours, which is why you seem so keen on trading them in every 3 years for the newest floosy.  I bet another piece of equipment broke your heart and that's why you won't commit.  Was it a fickle weed wacker?  A jealous and tempermental leaf blower that tossed you down this jaded path?  I don't want to know.  So you buy one every three years because it pleases you?   Whatever turns YOU on buddy, but I'd say I'm like most people who'd rather give money to a dentist than spend money on something you already have.   Also, you have yet to explain why you didn't like the Honda.  Not one example, just a blanket statement "big piece of crap!" is supposed to persuade.  Didn't "work" for you?  You sure you read the instruction manual?

nhmatt,

made me laugh for a moment.  The "fickle weed wacker" was the best.  I enjoy your posts, you tell it like it is without holding back. So the truth comes out that you have a love affair with your snowblower and keep it close to you at night.  :) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrier,

With all due respect, I had my doubts from the beginning but it has become obvious that Terrier DOES NOT own or has ever operated a Honda HS928TAS.  Sorry Terrier, you can complain that the tracks are not for you or maybe it is too expensive to buy and repair, even if you don't own a snowblower of any brand. 

No one has complained about lack of traction, riding up on snow, or throwing distance.  In fact, these 3 things you complained are contradictory to what the Honda owners have voiced that it does very well.  The tracks have plenty of traction (too much at times), the buckets puts down more weight in front than any modern walk behind snowblower that I have come across, and the auger/impeller and chute design are highly efficient at throwing snow.  To sum it up, it digs like a gopher and spits it out like a geyser. 

If you REALLY had owned the Honda for 5 years and / or ACTUALLY had 15+ years of total Ariens snowblower experience as you had alluded to, I would reasonably expect that you would have more eloquent and substantial complaints in addition to the "biggest piece of crap." 

This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by aa335
borat

Reply #87   Mar 19, 2009 2:21 pm
Cough (Ariens dealer) cough....

Maybe an infiltrator from the "Ariens Brothers - OPE on the Net" forum trying to get a rise.

This message was modified Mar 19, 2009 by borat
aa335

Reply #88   Mar 19, 2009 3:24 pm
borat wrote:
Cough (Ariens dealer) cough....

Maybe an infiltrator from the "Ariens Brothers - OPE on the Net" forum trying to get a rise.

I think there's a four-letter word for those net personality.
terrier

Reply #89   Mar 20, 2009 5:17 pm
NHMatt has a sense of humour. His last post was actually pretty good.

AA335 seems to unable to resist commenting on matters he knows nothing about. Send me $50 for my trouble and I'll email you a copy of the retail receipt for my Honda 928 whatever. It is pretty obvious that the only person on the continent who cares what you think about anything is Borat. Why do you assume your opinions make the slightest difference to anyone, anywhere? If you can't really afford a Honda, just buy something else, like a 12 year old MTD. Nobody will think any less of you than they already do.

Borat seems like a pleasant but silly older man. Lots of opinions but no real information to back them up, and totally unwilling or unable to do the necessary investigation to prove his theories. Just classics like, "I told my friend to buy a Tacoma and he thinks it's real good."

Borat and AA335, just let it go. Quit writing your ever so witty and nasty posts at night, in the dark, wearing your bunny pajamas with bunny ears and a trap door in the back you probably don't know how to open. You left wing guys are really annoying, sending all your money to Japan.
borat

Reply #90   Mar 20, 2009 6:52 pm
terrier wrote:

AA335 seems to unable to resist commenting on matters he knows nothing about. Send me $50 for my trouble and I'll email you a copy of the retail receipt for my Honda 928 whatever. It is pretty obvious that the only person on the continent who cares what you think about anything is Borat. Why do you assume your opinions make the slightest difference to anyone, anywhere? If you can't really afford a Honda, just buy something else, like a 12 year old MTD. Nobody will think any less of you than they already do.

Borat seems like a pleasant but silly older man. Lots of opinions but no real information to back them up, and totally unwilling or unable to do the necessary investigation to prove his theories. Just classics like, "I told my friend to buy a Tacoma and he thinks it's real good."

Borat and AA335, just let it go. Quit writing your ever so witty and nasty posts at night, in the dark, wearing your bunny pajamas with bunny ears and a trap door in the back you probably don't know how to open. You left wing guys are really annoying, sending all your money to Japan.

Well, I must admit, that's probably the most infantile and immature response I've read on this forum. 

Be advised that your comments concerning Honda, Toyota and anything else Japanese will only be believed by the uninformed and ignorant.   Anyone who knows anything about Japanese OPE and/or vehicles will readily see that your posting here is a pathetic attempt to create doubt about Japanese products and Honda in particular.  News flash bud. ....  Too many old dogs on this forum to be fooled by a pup like you. 

Adiós.  

clint

Reply #91   Mar 20, 2009 7:54 pm
"News flash bud. ....  Too many old dogs on this forum to be fooled by a pup like you."
Old dogs?
As I check out the membership list, I see that you jointed this forum in late 2007. (The membership starts in 2002.)
It might be prudent too chill out before you start speaking for the "old dogs".
Until you start sporting a moderators badge, you dont carry any more juice on this forum than any of the rest of us.
borat

Reply #92   Mar 21, 2009 4:42 pm
clint wrote:
"News flash bud. ....  Too many old dogs on this forum to be fooled by a pup like you."
Old dogs?
As I check out the membership list, I see that you jointed this forum in late 2007. (The membership starts in 2002.)
It might be prudent too chill out before you start speaking for the "old dogs".
Until you start sporting a moderators badge, you dont carry any more juice on this forum than any of the rest of us.

Yo Clint:

Please enlighten us? 

How does participation in an OPE forum parlay into 30+ years of experience with more types of outdoor equipment than you probably can imagine?   In addition to that, I wasn't referring to myself alone.  There are very many mature individuals with a great deal of knowledge on this forum who will probably agree 100% with what I've said. 

By the way, I can see that you're a seasoned participant yourself with three posts in total.  Of which, 33.3% is of absolutely no value to anyone.  Just another yelping pup? 

iLikeOrange

Reply #93   Mar 21, 2009 7:40 pm
Hey B . While I don't always agree with your comments I can tell that they come with some years of experiance behind them. Remember that small dogs sometimes can't lift their leg high enough. Sometimetimes they even pe uphill.

I do enjoy the bantor.

aa335

Reply #94   Mar 22, 2009 3:12 am
terrier wrote:

I agree that nhmatt is quite funny.  For once, you and I agree on something. 

Please read your paragraph 2 and 3 to make sure you are not projecting yourself.  You know nothing about the product you are bashing, and also nothing about the product you praise.  So far you really haven't provided any remotely plausible information that backs up your utter disgust of a product which either 1)  you did not really own or 2) have neither spent some time learning how to use it properly.  Even if you had owned it, why did not seek help or assistance?  Did it not occur to you that maybe your snowblower was defective, or that the operator may need some instructions?  When asked to give me some examples, you ignore them and go on rambling about other things which you again have very little knowledge or concrete examples to back them up.    Why do I care to spend $50 on you , a complete stranger, who may be wearing whatever at night, maybe using a MTD?  If you want to remove doubt, post your retail purchase receipt so the rest of us can believe in you. 

Are you implying I don't own a Honda?  In fact, I own more than one Honda product.  Yet I do not think more or less of you, which ever snowblower you may own.

You give me and Borat too much credit for being witty, and much much too much credit for being nasty.  I have remained civil, yet I will challenge you to back up your statement with reason and proof.  Others have been more sharp-tonged rebutting your comments, yet you fail to understand what was written between the lines.  The most intelligent posts that you ever written was some rambling about the automotive industry, when you actually paraphrased information from an external source.  However, they were loaded with misconceptions and generalities. 

How can you ask someone to let it go when your first post ever to this forum was a bashing, followed by assumptions of people's affection for their OPE, and now character painting, and more assumptions?  Do I sense frustration?

I do not care to think what kind of person you are or what you do with your time.  If you have an infatuation with bunny, so be it.  I don't think much of bunny, except that they are a fuzzy oversized rodent that eats constantly and pee and piss all over the place.  Bunnies are too defenseless to exterminate, yet they serve to complete the food chain for other animals.  I admit I don't know what trap door you are talking about.  Are you making insults?  Be informed that if you speak profanity to a person in a foreign language, the only person understanding that is YOU.  And what about the left wing guys?  Why are they annoying?  If they actually do, are they sending YOUR money to Japan?  If I send my $50 to you, what does that make me, a Union-loving patriot?  We are talking about snowblowers in this forum and thread, STAY ON TOPIC.  Save your political affiliation bashing for other forums.

By the way, I'm up posting late because I had too much coffee to keep me awake on the long drive home tonight.  No bunny slippers or pajamas.

This message was modified Mar 22, 2009 by aa335
borat

Reply #95   Mar 22, 2009 12:26 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
Hey B . While I don't always agree with your comments I can tell that they come with some years of experiance behind them. Remember that small dogs sometimes can't lift their leg high enough. Sometimetimes they even pe uphill.

I do enjoy the bantor.

Yeah.  I suspect that there's a lot of bitterness out there right now with so many people losing their jobs.  Rather than being introspective and trying to see the errors of our ways, many find it easier to lash out at those that have not failed.  If the Asians didn't beat us at our own game, our auto manufacturing sector wouldn't be in the fix it's in today.  The first thing we must do is to admit our failures and get back to doing what we  know is right.  No more short cuts to the quick profits.  Quality never goes out of style.    

I sincerely hope that all of the difficulties we're going through now will be a wake up call for all of us.  We must change the way we do business in our countries, from the deceitful banking all the way to the assembly line.   If not, we'll be doomed for failure again.   

clint

Reply #96   Mar 22, 2009 2:32 pm
borat wrote:
Yo Clint:

Please enlighten us? 

How does participation in an OPE forum parlay into 30+ years of experience with more types of outdoor equipment than you probably can imagine?   In addition to that, I wasn't referring to myself alone.  There are very many mature individuals with a great deal of knowledge on this forum who will probably agree 100% with what I've said. 

By the way, I can see that you're a seasoned participant yourself with three posts in total.  Of which, 33.3% is of absolutely no value to anyone.  Just another yelping pup? 

Yo Borat.
I've been driving a car for 45 years. It doesnt make me a race car driver.
Since my resume and birth certificate are not open for public consumption, you're assuming quite a bit.
30+ years of actual job experience on outdoor equipment may trump you armour-alling your lawnmower on the week end.
Dont worry though. You keep up the good public relations work that you do around here and I'm sure you can get some more of those pretty gold stars under your name.
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #97   Mar 22, 2009 5:46 pm
You have got to be $#%*ting. I take a week off and log on and everyone is still ranting about nonsense. Time to take a look at your life and open your mind. Honda Ariens Life Death Health Happiness. GET A LIFE ! I can't believe the powers that be let this crap go on. 10/7 over and out.

iLikeOrange

Reply #98   Mar 22, 2009 6:32 pm
I've read in another issue that Britany Spears has had some death threats against her.

Snowmann

Reply #99   Mar 22, 2009 7:33 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
You have got to be $#%*ting. I take a week off and log on and everyone is still ranting about nonsense. Time to take a look at your life and open your mind. Honda Ariens Life Death Health Happiness. GET A LIFE ! I can't believe the powers that be let this crap go on. 10/7 over and out.

+1 Knee.....
borat

Reply #100   Mar 22, 2009 8:29 pm
clint wrote:
Yo Borat.
I've been driving a car for 45 years. It doesnt make me a race car driver.
Since my resume and birth certificate are not open for public consumption, you're assuming quite a bit.
30+ years of actual job experience on outdoor equipment may trump you armour-alling your lawnmower on the week end.
Dont worry though. You keep up the good public relations work that you do around here and I'm sure you can get some more of those pretty gold stars under your name.

Nicely done. 

With this last post of yours, you've increased your quotient of useless information to 50%.  

You arbitrarily join in on a debate yet bring nothing of the original subject to bear.  You chose to attack a participant without invitation to do so.  Sounds to me like someone just looking for a beef. 

Well Clint, you'll be better off finding someone else.  I choose not to dignify any subsequent posts of yours, by taking time to answer you.   

Adiós.   

P.S.  I don't own a bottle of Armour-All.  I do however own a torque wrench AND a pair of pliers.

This message was modified Mar 22, 2009 by borat
clint

Reply #101   Mar 23, 2009 12:21 pm
"With this last post of yours, you've increased your quotient of useless information to 50%. "
This whole thread is all about useless information. It lost any relevance about 99 posts ago.
It would have died a natural death long ago if you would have stopped torching folks for your own amusement.
Kneebiter is on the mark.
If you want the last word, go for it. You earned it.
iLikeOrange

Reply #102   Mar 23, 2009 12:35 pm
I'll stop this car right now if you kids don"t behave.

terrier

Reply #103   Mar 23, 2009 5:32 pm
Well, AA335 and Borat
In an attempt to get things back where they belong, namely, talking about snowblowers, here goes. Some years ago, I bought a Sears (MTD) 8/26 snowblower. Used it for about 10 years, then sold it, excellent troublefree machine. A couple of years later, I bought the Honda 928(tracks). Doesn't snow a huge amount here, usually, so I kept the Honda for 5 years or so, even though I didn't like it. Bought an Ariens 7524 (small 2stage). Too small when we did get big snow so traded it back to dealer after a few years for 926LE (no diff, no freewheel). Back got worse so I couldn't use it easily. Traded it back to dealer, bought 9526DLE (differential). Got back good dollars for slightly used Ariens from dealer so stayed with Ariens. Used snowblowers are often hard to sell here for a decent dollar because they usually only get used a few times most winters. I looked at Simplicity but couldn't get as much on trade, obviously, because not an Ariens dealer. The Ariens dealer here is excellent so I guess you could say I bought the dealer as much as a snowblower. I intend to keep the 9526DLE for the foreseeable future. I tried to avoid making the above too long and boring. Enjoyed this forum for a few years before posting and will continue to do so in the future.

AA355 seems very concerned about factual accuracy so I can't help pointing out that rabbits aren't rodents, as stated in his post. They are Lagomorphs, a different group altogether. AA335 will probably say I've never really seen a rabbit and don't what I'm talking about.
aa335

Reply #104   Mar 23, 2009 5:52 pm
terrier wrote:

AA355 seems very concerned about factual accuracy so I can't help pointing out that rabbits aren't rodents, as stated in his post. They are Lagomorphs, a different group altogether. AA335 will probably say I've never really seen a rabbit and don't what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the chronology. 

I stand corrected as I do not know this mammal order classification.  Biology or taxonomy is neither my interest or strong suit.  Visually, the rabbit Lagomorphs resembles a rodent, yet it is an herbivore.  They are a rodent in my classification as I like to keep them out of my yard.  They like to feast on my garden.  I know, they have to eat. 

You know your rabbits.   Pardon my ignorance.

This message was modified Mar 23, 2009 by aa335
iLikeOrange

Reply #105   Mar 23, 2009 6:50 pm
....here comes Peter cottentail hoppin down the bunny trail..

aa335

Reply #106   Mar 23, 2009 10:07 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
....here comes Peter cottentail hoppin down the bunny trail..

Careful Orange, you're dating yourself.  :)

This message was modified Mar 23, 2009 by aa335
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #107   Mar 24, 2009 3:28 am
My eyes have long-ago glazed over about this thread.  What was the topic about to begin with, anyway?  My finger isn't strong enough to go back to the top.  I'm going back to Disneyland.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
iLikeOrange

Reply #108   Mar 24, 2009 9:16 am
aa335 wrote:
Careful Orange, you're dating yourself.  :)

So you remember that eh?...

: >)

I just read the OP from 2007 and my answer is no.

Back on track now.

Orange

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #109   Mar 24, 2009 7:15 pm
Zip a dee doo-dah, zip a dee ay
My, oh my, what a wonderful day.
Plenty of sunshine headed my way.

Mister bluebird on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actual.
Everything is satisfactual.

Wonderful feelin'.
Wonderful day.

Bill_H

Reply #110   Mar 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
iLikeOrange

Reply #111   Mar 26, 2009 8:09 am
" :^)

sg1efc

Reply #112   Jan 10, 2011 1:04 pm
cloggedchute wrote:
My Ariens kept clogging and dumping "logs" of wet snow instead of throwing the snow - I was unhappy - especially after reading this thread and the complaints of others.  I decided to call Ariens before taking a sledge hammer to the machine.

They said, "check the impellor drive belt - it has probably stretched and is slipping, preventing the impellor from throwing properly.  Take the belt cover off, hold down the auger handle and see if belt is tight."  I tried that  - the belt was so loose I am surprised it could throw any snow.   Only took two 1/2" wrenches to loosen idler pulley and move it to tighten belt when engaged.  I took the snow blower out again in today's 8" of heavy, wet snow and it threw it further than it had ever thrown!!!

So, if blower is not throwing well, check impellor belt tension before getting ticked off.  I didn't do this until forcing the machine through the job - would have taken a third of the time if I had checked and adjusted the belt before I started, or when I saw it wasn't throwing well.

Yep this was my same problem, couldn't believe how loose the belt was.  Supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow by Wednesday morning so I'm looking forward to seeing it throw the snow 40 or more feet like it used to.  Thank You very much for making this post Cloggedchute!  :)
quaddriver

Reply #113   Feb 23, 2015 11:25 pm
Old thread, but I found this place based on a google search for a problem so perhaps someone someday will find this. The Ariens ST1326 (and may others from many manufacturers) does indeed use a power window motor for the rotary chute control. Currently, it is $160-$190 online plus shipping. It is $105 on ebay plus shipping. the part number is 52422000. Before you get discouraged, go google up AC Delco part 11M32. It is $28.71 on amazon. Look at the pic and tell me that is not it. The wiring connector is a different shape, but we can get around that. I got the idea to look after someone early on in this thread, perhaps in 2009, stated it was a glorified power window motor and I'll be darned if it does not look like some I have in stock. The 11M32 even has the 9 tooth gear - which should alleviate lash problems. To solve or help with the water problem, dip in vinyl tool dip. Edited to add: I got this used 1336 to augment my 1981 724 (also ariens) which has mowed a few hundred feet of snow I bet over the decades. The idler used for the drive AND the auger drive need to be looked at, I have even went down a belt size to help. It is very easy to 'split the case' on these machines, back in the day, the snow blower, front tine tiller, 'brush hog' and string trimmer used the same motor and drive housing, bolted to a different front end. A couple years back the mice made a meal of my magneto wiring and with Tecuhseh motors long gone and the replacement engines from LCT essentially junk, i added a dual season kohler pro. It does not take much to keep these running for many decades.
This message was modified Feb 23, 2015 by quaddriver
Replies: 1 - 113 of 113View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42