Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower cab

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Snow thrower cab
Original Message   Dec 9, 2008 5:08 pm
I asked this question as part of another post but thought that it would get a better response if I posted it as a stand alone thread.  I am considering a snow cab for my snow thrower.  First do you think that they are a good investment or is a snow thrower better without one?  Second, if you do have one and think that they are worth the effort to buy and install, which one would you recomend?  Borat, gave me a nice link in the other thread and there is a how to install video that I found interesting here: http://www.classicaccessories.com/instructions/.

How important is it to have one that has the easy on, easy off feature.  It was toughted as good for storage.  Thanks for the input,

Rick

Replies: 26 - 35 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
don1

"If you search for a perfect friend without faults . . . you will remain friendless"

Re: Snow thrower cab
Reply #26   Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Hi Clay:
I'am running an Ariens 927LE and purchased an Ariens Sno Cab for it (paid a premium price) and look upon it as one of the best investments I ever made. When in use, it's like using the Snow Blower in the garage. No wind, no snow all over you and seems like 15 degrees warmer than outside. As far as removal of the cab goes, it's not worth taking the time to do. I will take it apart in Spring for Summer storage and also make it easier to do my maintenace work if any. Then come Fall, back it goes and gets attached to the machine. There are some aftermarket Cabs out there and they are probably OK, but I love my orange Ariens Cab with the heavy duty material.
So the short answer is: Yes, a Snow Cab is definitely work investing in.  
Clay

Reply #27   Dec 25, 2008 7:47 pm
The one thing that is important about having a removeable cab is if you transport your machine on a trailer or in the back of a pick up.  The wind at hwy speeds would not be good for the cab.  Being able to take it off and put it back on would be the only way to go in that situation.  I totally agree about it being warmer inside of the cab.  It's actually pleasant.  Like one of the previous posters I wish that it had 4 sides instead of 3.  I wouldn't mind bending down and coming up into the unit from the bottom.  Once in a while I get some snow blow back on the back of my neck, but it is 100% better than not having a cab.  Like I said, I'm surprised that I never had one on the old thrower.

Rick

borat

Reply #28   Dec 25, 2008 11:12 pm
Wouldn't take too much to put a piece of tarp on the back and allow it to hang down or put simple fasteners at the bottome to keep it from flapping in the wind. 

The Ariens cab looks similar to the Classic Deluxe albeit two and a half times the price. 

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #29   Dec 25, 2008 11:30 pm
I kind of like the screw eye on top as you mentioned to store it. by the way how wide is this cab side to side?

aa335

Reply #30   Dec 26, 2008 12:06 am
borat wrote:
My garage has an 11 or 12 foot ceiling.  I put a small pulley in the bottom of one of the trusses and run a piece of 1/4" rope through it.  I replaced the center bolt on the roof of the  snow cab with an eye bolt protruding through top.  I melted a hole through the center of the roof with a hot nail of appropriate size,  put a dab of silicone and a couple of nylon washers around the eye bolt  to minimize leaks and possible tearing.   Now I just roll the snow thrower under the pulley/rope device, pull the pins, loosen the cab and hoist it up to the ceiling.  Very easy to put on & take off as well as an excellent place to store the unit during off season.     

This is a good idea.  I will probably try to do this when it's warmer.
aa335

Reply #31   Dec 26, 2008 12:18 am
borat wrote:
 Balance issues?  What balance issues? 

That's B.S.  I don't use my cab unless it's windy.  I've been out in some pretty good wind and never had any concern whatsoever with the balance of the machine.  If it's so windy that it makes it unsafe to operate a snow thrower with a cab on it, you shouldn't be outside unless absolutely necessary.   We're getting a pretty good dumping right now but the wind is from the east and in my favour.  Probably won't need the cab tonight. 

I concur.  If it's not windy, I would go snowblowing topless. 
borat

Reply #32   Dec 26, 2008 10:00 am
hirschallan wrote:
I kind of like the screw eye on top as you mentioned to store it. by the way how wide is this cab side to side?

It's twenty nine inches across. 

For the money, these units are pretty hard to beat.  They have 3/4" steel tubing frame that's powder coated black.  The fabric is thick & durable and the window plastic is also tough.  All of the mounting hardware is robust and it comes with enough various sized mounting brackets to match just about any machine.   The quick release feature is one of the best things about it.   I bought mine last year for $89.00.  More than pleased with it.  Particularly for what I paid.

bill46

Reply #33   Dec 27, 2008 11:09 am
I'm in the process of installing a Classic snow thrower cab, yep, it does take 3 hours to install but from what you are all saying, its worth it the effort.  When you install it take your time, don't rush.  My question is, Classic provides a bag to install on the auger housing as a counter weight, is it worth installing?
Clay

Reply #34   Dec 27, 2008 11:24 am
I think that the counter weight is dependant on your machine balance point.  On my snow thrower I did not install it because I didn't like the way that it mounted to the unit ( two bolts make dents in the metal of the thrower).  I thought that it would be a source of rust. 

On taking 3 hours, mine took me about an hour and I am a putzer, in other words, I check and recheck and then fiddle and then think some more.  With the Deluxe version I laid out all of the parts so that I could find the right ones first.  Then since it was in the single digits outside, I built the entire removeable cab in the heated comfort of my living room.  It was pretty basic:  LF (lower front) to UF (upper front) for two of the four sides.  LR (Lower rear or was it lower back?) to UR (upper rear) for two more of the four sides.  Put the other brace pieces on to make the removeable top and then put the skin on.  The parts to the machine were to cross sections and two verticle sections.  If you have to continually search for the right part or try and put it all together in the cold, it could take much longer. 

No matter how it gets done, you're going to love it.  After using mine for a few times I had to run a machine without a cab and I really missed it and found it frustrating to come back into the house all snow covered again.

borat

Reply #35   Dec 27, 2008 2:18 pm
I did the same as Clay.  Built the upper part of the cab inside.  It was much more comfortable and the fabric was easier to work with when it was warm.  Mine took around an hour and a half or so.  I wasn't being paid to do it and wasn't in a hurry so why rush.   I'm certain you'll enjoy it.   
Replies: 26 - 35 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42