Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower cab

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Snow thrower cab
Original Message   Dec 9, 2008 5:08 pm
I asked this question as part of another post but thought that it would get a better response if I posted it as a stand alone thread.  I am considering a snow cab for my snow thrower.  First do you think that they are a good investment or is a snow thrower better without one?  Second, if you do have one and think that they are worth the effort to buy and install, which one would you recomend?  Borat, gave me a nice link in the other thread and there is a how to install video that I found interesting here: http://www.classicaccessories.com/instructions/.

How important is it to have one that has the easy on, easy off feature.  It was toughted as good for storage.  Thanks for the input,

Rick

Replies: 1 - 47 of 47View as Outline
borat

Re: Snow thrower cab
Reply #1   Dec 9, 2008 5:56 pm
If you look closely at the picture of mine, you'll see I used an eye bolt at the top where the cross members intersect.  Normally a short bolt goes in there.  I put the eye bolt in so that I could put a hook through it and hoist it up via rope & pulley to the ceiling of my garage.  The ceiling is around twelve feet high so when the snow cab is hanging from the ceiling, I can walk & drive my pick up under it with plenty of clearance.  It's quick easy storage.  It's also pretty easy to lower it onto the snow thrower to mount it as required.    
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #2   Dec 10, 2008 2:29 pm
I am in the same boat and in the process of waiting to receive one that i ordered online a little over a week ago.  I went with the same unit as Borat. I was looking at these last year and came to the conclusion that the one he recommends is the better of the few available.  From what I found, there really is not that many options in after market snow cab category. You really have a choice between two models, unless you want to go with the actually snow thrower manufacture cab. The Manufacture cabs are considerably more expensive the the Classic stuff.  If you live in Canada and want to purchase the Classic Deluxe in person, you are out of luck. I was unable to find it anywhere and even a e-mail to classic proved no help.  The only model sold in Canada is the basic snow cab and not deluxe.

As for the need of one. Well I know I need it, the way my driveway works I have to blow it in certain places no matter the direction of the wind. The snow can often freeze my face. I cannot wear those face mask hats as I wear eye glasses and the hot air comes up the mask, out the eyes and fogs my glasses.  So for me, the only option is a cab if I want to be comfortable. I have seen website talking about snow throwers say they do not recommend the cabs as it throws off the "delicate" balance of the machine.  I do not have my cab yet, but I do not believe this will be a issue. I am sure with a lot of wind it could cause some problems, but the balance of the machine is not that delicate that it cannot be offset with some weight on the bucket.

So for me, I am really looking forward to receiving this cab and have been tracking it daily. Its been slow going with the christmas season in full gear for shipping. Its expected on Dec 15th as of right now and that is days before our first real snowfall is predicted.

I think the ability of being to easily remove the cab is enough for me to justify the price difference between the basic and the deluxe, the added elbow room is nice as well. My only question about this cab is weather I am going to receive the one that looks like borats or weather it will be the new looking one on the classic site.  All sites selling this unit show the image like borats model, but it could be that the sites are not up to date with their images or this years model.  I really don't care with model I get actually as I am not sure if I like one more then the other. I tend to lean towards the looks of last years model then the new one.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #3   Dec 10, 2008 6:03 pm
Hi Guys!

If the cab makes the machine tail heavy you can add a weight kit to the front of the bucket, All of the premium manufacturers have them available. I can't use a cab because of clearance issues with my garage door. I am really jealous of Borat's set up!

Marc

This message was modified Dec 10, 2008 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
borat

Reply #4   Dec 10, 2008 6:37 pm
 Balance issues?  What balance issues? 

That's B.S.  I don't use my cab unless it's windy.  I've been out in some pretty good wind and never had any concern whatsoever with the balance of the machine.  If it's so windy that it makes it unsafe to operate a snow thrower with a cab on it, you shouldn't be outside unless absolutely necessary.   We're getting a pretty good dumping right now but the wind is from the east and in my favour.  Probably won't need the cab tonight. 

Goofienewfie: 

If you ordered your cab out of the U.S., be prepared for a fairly long wait.  Clearing Canada Customs takes forever.   I had a set of reeds mailed to me from the U.S. almost a month ago.  I'm still waiting.  I normally drive to the U.S./Canada border to pick up my stuff.  The shipper didn't have the reeds in stock when he shipped the rest of my order.  He knows that it's a bit of a drive for me to go to the border & back so, for my convenience, he mailed them directly to my home.  Bad move.   I've got all of my engine parts here & ready for assembly other than the reeds.  So, the waiting continues.  

For your information, there's a link that provides the assembly instructions to put the cab together.  I suggest you download it and read up a bit.  It'll help pass the time.  By the time you get the cab, you'll be able to put it together blindfolded. 

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #5   Dec 10, 2008 6:57 pm
borat wrote:

That's B.S.  I don't use my cab unless it's windy.  I've been out in some pretty good wind and never had any concern whatsoever with the balance of the machine.  If it's so windy that it makes it unsafe to operate a snow thrower with a cab on it, you shouldn't be outside unless absolutely necessary.   We're getting a pretty good dumping right now but the wind is from the east and in my favour.  Probably won't need the cab tonight. 

Goofienewfie: 

If you ordered your cab out of the U.S., be prepared for a fairly long wait.  Clearing Canada Customs takes forever.   I had a set of reeds mailed to me from the U.S. almost a month ago.  I'm still waiting.  I normally drive to the U.S./Canada border to pick up my stuff.  The shipper didn't have the reeds in stock when he shipped the rest of my order.  He knows that it's a bit of a drive for me to go to the border & back so, for my convenience, he mailed them directly to my home.  Bad move.   I've got all of my engine parts here & ready for assembly other than the reeds.  So, the waiting continues.  

For your information, there's a link that provides the assembly instructions to put the cab together.  I suggest you download it and read up a bit.  It'll help pass the time.  By the time you get the cab, you'll be able to put it together blindfolded. 

lol.. I thought the same thing when I read it. But none the less I did read it. Actually I found it again, here is the direct quote. The site its on actually has some good tips, this just happens to be one of the bad ones.

"Avoid using "snow cabs", they just aren't worth it. They destroy the delicate balance of the machine, make it awkward to maneuver in tight quarters and will come down and hit you in the head if the front end rides up in a hard snowbank!"

l don't expect the wind to be a issue and you are right, if the wind is that high stay inside. Probably not much good to do the driveway since most will probably blow back in anyways.

Yes, I ordered from the states. I had some issues with my first order and canceled. Glad I did. I went with another company that really seems to have their act together for shipping across the border.  The promise no border issues and deal with a some B2B logistics company in Michigan. The tracking started off with UPS and now its switch over to Canada Post and appears to be processed in Mississauga.  Fingers cross but everything is looking good right now.  The company has been great so far.

Yes, I have been on that link and even watched the video. The problems I am having is weather I will have that model or the older model. Maybe you can e-mail me the instructions of the older model as well and then I will be extra prepared. Maybe they both go together the same. The new one looks like a tent pole type system for the roof, unsure how it was done before.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #6   Dec 15, 2008 9:14 pm
Hey all;

Got my cab in the mail today. Turned out to be a excellent day to get it as it was pretty warm in my unheated shed. Thank borat for sending those instructions, turned out to be the older model / same as yours.  Glad I got this model as I believe it is better built going by the pictures and video of the new one.  Everything went together smoothly since read the instructions many times prior to getting the unit thanks to borat.

The Total cost was $150 cdn with taxes, border fee and shipping. Got the unit for $79.99 usd due to price match of a amazon affiliate seller that would not send to Canada.  Seller matched price anyway :)

Took me about 1 1/2hrs to install. Never had any problems with the cover going over the bars. Many people seem to complain about that. Wasn't a problem for me and glad its a little tight to keep everything wrickle free.  Still some wrickles in the clear plastic, but nothing that would reduce vision. Tried heating it with a hairdryer to no avail, did not seem to do much for it. None the less, I don't see the few wrickles as a problem.

I am glad I went with the deluxe, I don't think I would have fix in the regular one. Just enough space for me to move around.  From the floor to the top of the peak its 80". About 1" higher then my shed door, I haven't tried moving it out through yet as I have the gas tank off to clean it out. I think it should be fine with a slight tip back of the blower.

Only thing left to do now is cut a slit for the chute rotation rod. Think I will try and find some velcro and apply to the slit to close it back up after the cab is install each time with the fast removal system.

Overall, very impressed with the cab thus far and the supplier was great to deal with. Took about 2 weeks to arrive from order and things were delayed abit at canada post due to christmas time I suspect.

Once I am completely finished, will take a pic of it. 
This message was modified Dec 15, 2008 by goofienewfie

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Clay

Reply #7   Dec 16, 2008 5:36 pm
Can you share the Amazon dealer that had the deluxe snow cab for $79?  I see that at about $119 USD most of the time and have found it at $99 but not $79.  I am on a waiting list at my local hardware store when they get some more in.  Still shopping in Wis, Thanks.
borat

Reply #8   Dec 16, 2008 6:57 pm
If it's an inch too tall to fit in your shed, can you not lower it a bit on the mounts.  I know it's something you'd rather not do but if it'll allow the cab to clear, it's only a one shot deal.
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2008 8:51 pm
Hey clay;

The company on amazon that had it for $79.99 is either out of stock or no longer carrying them. I included a link to them anyway, in case it comes back in stock. Its below.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000VUN8I/ref=pd_luc_mri?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A1J7OTSURZAVWI&v=glance

I originally ordered the cab from Jackssmallengine. They had the cab at $89.99 price and would not match amazon. But they answered my original e-mail quick and I liked that it had a phone number listed on there site, which I also called and got some answers. Availability, shipping cost.   After I ordered it went down hill. Charge double them original shipping quote and no movement on the order in 5 business days as promised. Then called again and got run around.. won't go into it. But it was enough to tick me off and canceled the order. I will not order from them again.

Before I ordered from jacks I had contacted sportman guide as well, Should have waited a little longer and would have realized service was night and day.  Sportsman guide also has a number, unsure if its listed on their site, but all e-mails are signed with it. They matched price, guaranteed no border issues and even had the appropriate tax category for my province. They have their act together and I was really please with them.  As soon as I canceled my jacks order, I ordered from them.  Unit shipped next day and I got it two weeks later. Pretty good considering I am at the furthest easterly point in North America, on a island with christmas shipping times in the mix.

Here is a link to sportsman guide. They originally had it for $89.99 as well, it was on sale. Its now at $99.99. Probably still cheaper then most if not all. The only places I could find cheaper were that place on amazon and jacks was the same price.  Even if jacks is still 89.99 I would deal with sportsmanguide first.

Borat.

Yes, I could probably move it down a little, but I really like it at this height. If I have much trouble getting in and out of the shed, I will do so. But as it stands right now, the height is just right. I am almost 6' 2" . With a hat on now, I tend to rub the flap that comes down over the back. If I went lower I could see me always hitting that if I do not crunch down a little before getting in. I also like that I can tip the snowblower back a bit with this height, if I lowered it my head would hit the roof and stop me from tipping the blower back.  But like I said, if I have to, I will. 

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Coldfingers

Reply #10   Dec 18, 2008 9:17 am
Can I ask you guys how wide is the cab? I have a "36" walk in door that I run my blower in through in my garage and I was wondering if I got on e if it would work? I can't get a "30" snowblower through as with the skids on it gets too tight but my "26" goes through as well as my old "28" as well.

Thanks, Coldfingers
Clay

Reply #11   Dec 18, 2008 10:25 am
This web site gives the dimensions of this particular cab:  http://www.coverbonanza.com/38903/26231/Snow-Thrower-Covers--Cabs/Deluxe-Snow-Thrower-Cab----Two--Stage-Snow-Throwers.html

It lists this Deluxe cab as:  Overall size 30"L x 28"W x 50"H.

They are becoming scarce in my area so it is better to get one sooner than later.  Anyone find any good prices on the deluxe one, I would appreciate either a PM or a response on this thread.

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #12   Dec 18, 2008 11:44 am
Without going out and measuring it right now, I believe its 28.5" from outside to outside of the bars that the cab holds on too.  I sort of remember this as its mention it the manual to check this dimension to ensure its install right.  My bucket is 30" and its slightly smaller then it.  Hard to believe you cannot fit a 30" snowblower in a 36" door.  skid shoes are not 3" thick. I guess it would be somewhat tight, but it should go in without issue.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
borat

Reply #13   Dec 18, 2008 12:22 pm
My neighbour had difficulty getting his 29" snow thrower through the 32" door to his storage shed.  I recommended that he put the skids on the inside of the intake housing.  Goes in quite a bit easier now.  On his machine (Craftsman) the skids didn't interfere with the augers. 
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #14   Dec 19, 2008 12:59 am
borat wrote:
My neighbour had difficulty getting his 29" snow thrower through the 32" door to his storage shed.  I recommended that he put the skids on the inside of the intake housing.  Goes in quite a bit easier now.  On his machine (Craftsman) the skids didn't interfere with the augers. 

Yal, can see that. thats only 3" in difference. But 6" seems more do able.

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
Clay

Reply #15   Dec 21, 2008 3:29 pm
I have been waiting for a local hardware stock to get some more Deluxe cabs in stock.  They told me that I was on the call list.  In the mean time I found ONE Classic Deluxe Snow cab left at Sears.  I asked them if they would price match the other store even if the other store did not have them instock.  The surprising answer was yes.  They then matched the $89.95 price plus gave me another 10% off.  $81 for the Classic Deluxe Snow Cab was a great deal. 

Putting it all together wasn't terrible either.  I assembled it out of order due to the weather.  I assembled the whole removeable part indoors and then went outside and put the few parts on the snow thrower that needed to be done outside.  The wind was blowing and we had over 8" of snow and it was the most comfortable snow removal that I have ever done.  My pants had some snow blow back on them and even the back of my hat, but for the most part my upper body was in great shape. 

If you have considered putting a snow cab on your machine, once you do so, you will be wondering why you didn't do it earlier. 

Rick

borat

Reply #16   Dec 21, 2008 4:37 pm
Last year I posted a similar comment on a different  (the OPE ) forum.   I couldn't believe the number of replies that said snow cabs look goofy, made the operator look like a dork or was just not cool?   All these years of snow throwing, I had missed the part about how one should look while doing it.    Got to wonder what goes through some people's heads some times.  Personally, I think looking warm is a far better experience.   
Clay

Reply #17   Dec 22, 2008 2:27 pm
This old guy likes to be comfortable and forget what the neighbors think.  I'm glad to provide entertainment  for them and I will smile to myself.  By the way, the Elmer Fud hat that I wear is comfortable and keeps me warm no matter what my buddies tell me about how it looks.  Thanks for the help making the selection Borat, I really like it.

Rick

borat

Reply #18   Dec 22, 2008 2:37 pm
Clay wrote:
This old guy likes to be comfortable and forget what the neighbors think.  I'm glad to provide entertainment  for them and I will smile to myself.  By the way, the Elmer Fud hat that I wear is comfortable and keeps me warm no matter what my buddies tell me about how it looks.  Thanks for the help making the selection Borat, I really like it.

Rick

You're welcome Rick.  I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't a good value.  For the money, it can't be beat.   Considering what available, out there, I'd say that it's hard to beat at any price, particularly when compared to name brand units.
aa335

Reply #19   Dec 24, 2008 12:03 am
borat wrote:
Last year I posted a similar comment on a different  (the OPE ) forum.   I couldn't believe the number of replies that said snow cabs look goofy, made the operator look like a dork or was just not cool?   All these years of snow throwing, I had missed the part about how one should look while doing it.    Got to wonder what goes through some people's heads some times.  Personally, I think looking warm is a far better experience.  

I wear glasses so stopping every few minutes to wipe off the wet snow has become a real pain.  I was constantly adjusting the chute direction and deflector angle to minimize the snow blowing back in my face.  I thought about using ski goggles over my glasses but I read on the forum that some people have problem with the goggles fogging up.  Also, even with the goggles, my face is not completely protected from the blowing snow.  I decided to get the snow cab and give it a try.  I have to admit that after seeing on youtube.com a guy using a snowblower with a snow cab and it did look goofy.  From the side, it looked like a John Deere tractor but instead of the two large tires in the rear, there are these two small legs moving in the back.  :)  I did have a good laugh or two watching that video.

I was able to find the Classic Accessories Deluxe Snow Cab at Blain's Farm and Fleet for $94.  Everywhere else online was charging $129.  Stock status was getting depleted at most online places and I didn't want to wait for shipping when the Midwest is about to be pummeled with snow for the next two weeks.  Anyways, if you go online to Farm and Fleet website, you can check stock status of a local store.  I found a store nearby that had it in stock, and immediately called the store to verify stock status placed it on hold until I can pick it up later in the evening.

I installed the snow cab and the process took around 2.5 hours.  I was done in 1.5 hours but took another hour to tweak and fine tune the fit to my liking.  Got out my carpenter's level and make sure everything was level and plumb.  I also adjusted the height so that it's not too high and unstable in the wind, but not too low that the canopy would come down and wack me in the head when the snowblower decided to climb a snow bank.  It was all good to my satisfaction.

Tried it out the next evening.  Wow!  What a difference it made when its 0 degrees outside with 15 mph head wind.   I was well protected from the blasting wind and snow.  I actually felt a lot warmer tucked behind the cab.  I can blow the snow higher and further without worrying about it flying back at my face.  I was a self conscious about the neighbors watching and thinking how goofy or silly I look in the snow cab.  But that didn't matter for long, I was protected and enjoying snowblowing. 

This is the only negatives I have of the snow cab.  They are minor but I will mention them.  I did try removing the canopy top and putting back on.  Removing it was easy, pull two pins and lift the canopy straight up.  Putting it back on was not so easy unless you had someone holding the other side for you.  Also, it was a little work trying to get the four holes on each side of the pipes to line up so I can reinsert the pins.  I don't think I will be taking off the canopy very often so this is not an issue.  Also, the pins do vibrate and make a noise like something on the a snowblower was coming apart under the vibration of the engine.  However, I just rotate the pin until the vibration stopped. 

Well, that's my story and I'm glad I bought the snow cab. 

borat

Reply #20   Dec 24, 2008 9:51 am
My garage has an 11 or 12 foot ceiling.  I put a small pulley in the bottom of one of the trusses and run a piece of 1/4" rope through it.  I replaced the center bolt on the roof of the  snow cab with an eye bolt protruding through top.  I melted a hole through the center of the roof with a hot nail of appropriate size,  put a dab of silicone and a couple of nylon washers around the eye bolt  to minimize leaks and possible tearing.   Now I just roll the snow thrower under the pulley/rope device, pull the pins, loosen the cab and hoist it up to the ceiling.  Very easy to put on & take off as well as an excellent place to store the unit during off season.     
nhmatt

Reply #21   Dec 24, 2008 11:18 am
Get a snow suit.  About the same money and you can get more than one use out of it.  Also you don't have to stop and wipe the snow off the window to see where you're going.
Moderator Denis

Reply #22   Dec 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Hi all and Merry Christmas from the Abby's team, In my case I blow the snow on the east side of my driveway and the wind comes from the west at 95% of the time, I guess I don't really need this cab but for those who have to blow the snow on each side it's a must :)) I've been told that a good quality is important, some cheap just crush in the big wind.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by Denis

borat

Reply #23   Dec 24, 2008 2:02 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Get a snow suit.  About the same money and you can get more than one use out of it.  Also you don't have to stop and wipe the snow off the window to see where you're going.

I own both a snow suit and a snow cab.  They each have their purpose.  The problem with a snow suit is that it doesn't offer the face/eye protection that a cab does.  If you get a face mask, goggles etc., they fog up and inhibit vision considerably.  That in itself can be a real annoyance.  Another down side to the snow suit is the time it takes to gear up and gear down.  Especially if you have to take a leak.  Know what I mean?   Then there's the necessity to get the snow off of yourself before you go in the house. 

The cab seldom has to have the window cleared off because the machine's vibrations pretty much shakes everything off.  If snow does manage to stick to the window, a tap from the inside takes care of that.  Believe me, it's a much better experience clearing the driveway on a windy day inside a well built snow cab. 

Bill_H

Reply #24   Dec 24, 2008 11:43 pm
borat wrote:

The cab seldom has to have the window cleared off because the machine's vibrations pretty much shakes everything off.  If snow does manage to stick to the window, a tap from the inside takes care of that.  Believe me, it's a much better experience clearing the driveway on a windy day inside a well built snow cab. 

You got me thinking, I wonder if Armor-All would make that vinyl slick enough that the snow would fall off by itself? or Rain-X?

I think you guys have convinced me to get one of these. The  wind always seems to blow in opposite directions at the top and bottom of my driveway - about 100' separated by heavy woods. I always wear a cowboy hat when blowing as I can tilt my head and the large brim will catch it before it gets on my glasses, but I'm not always fast enough.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #25   Dec 25, 2008 9:24 am
Bill_H wrote:
You got me thinking, I wonder if Armor-All would make that vinyl slick enough that the snow would fall off by itself? or Rain-X?
I think you guys have convinced me to get one of these. The  wind always seems to blow in opposite directions at the top and bottom of my driveway - about 100' separated by heavy woods. I always wear a cowboy hat when blowing as I can tilt my head and the large brim will catch it before it gets on my glasses, but I'm not always fast enough.

On my snow cab, I believe the vinyl windows are already coated to prevent fogging and sticking of snow.    There's no need to put anything else on it.

don1

"If you search for a perfect friend without faults . . . you will remain friendless"

Reply #26   Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Hi Clay:
I'am running an Ariens 927LE and purchased an Ariens Sno Cab for it (paid a premium price) and look upon it as one of the best investments I ever made. When in use, it's like using the Snow Blower in the garage. No wind, no snow all over you and seems like 15 degrees warmer than outside. As far as removal of the cab goes, it's not worth taking the time to do. I will take it apart in Spring for Summer storage and also make it easier to do my maintenace work if any. Then come Fall, back it goes and gets attached to the machine. There are some aftermarket Cabs out there and they are probably OK, but I love my orange Ariens Cab with the heavy duty material.
So the short answer is: Yes, a Snow Cab is definitely work investing in.  
Clay

Reply #27   Dec 25, 2008 7:47 pm
The one thing that is important about having a removeable cab is if you transport your machine on a trailer or in the back of a pick up.  The wind at hwy speeds would not be good for the cab.  Being able to take it off and put it back on would be the only way to go in that situation.  I totally agree about it being warmer inside of the cab.  It's actually pleasant.  Like one of the previous posters I wish that it had 4 sides instead of 3.  I wouldn't mind bending down and coming up into the unit from the bottom.  Once in a while I get some snow blow back on the back of my neck, but it is 100% better than not having a cab.  Like I said, I'm surprised that I never had one on the old thrower.

Rick

borat

Reply #28   Dec 25, 2008 11:12 pm
Wouldn't take too much to put a piece of tarp on the back and allow it to hang down or put simple fasteners at the bottome to keep it from flapping in the wind. 

The Ariens cab looks similar to the Classic Deluxe albeit two and a half times the price. 

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #29   Dec 25, 2008 11:30 pm
I kind of like the screw eye on top as you mentioned to store it. by the way how wide is this cab side to side?

aa335

Reply #30   Dec 26, 2008 12:06 am
borat wrote:
My garage has an 11 or 12 foot ceiling.  I put a small pulley in the bottom of one of the trusses and run a piece of 1/4" rope through it.  I replaced the center bolt on the roof of the  snow cab with an eye bolt protruding through top.  I melted a hole through the center of the roof with a hot nail of appropriate size,  put a dab of silicone and a couple of nylon washers around the eye bolt  to minimize leaks and possible tearing.   Now I just roll the snow thrower under the pulley/rope device, pull the pins, loosen the cab and hoist it up to the ceiling.  Very easy to put on & take off as well as an excellent place to store the unit during off season.     

This is a good idea.  I will probably try to do this when it's warmer.
aa335

Reply #31   Dec 26, 2008 12:18 am
borat wrote:

I concur.  If it's not windy, I would go snowblowing topless. 
borat

Reply #32   Dec 26, 2008 10:00 am
hirschallan wrote:
I kind of like the screw eye on top as you mentioned to store it. by the way how wide is this cab side to side?

It's twenty nine inches across. 

For the money, these units are pretty hard to beat.  They have 3/4" steel tubing frame that's powder coated black.  The fabric is thick & durable and the window plastic is also tough.  All of the mounting hardware is robust and it comes with enough various sized mounting brackets to match just about any machine.   The quick release feature is one of the best things about it.   I bought mine last year for $89.00.  More than pleased with it.  Particularly for what I paid.

bill46

Reply #33   Dec 27, 2008 11:09 am
I'm in the process of installing a Classic snow thrower cab, yep, it does take 3 hours to install but from what you are all saying, its worth it the effort.  When you install it take your time, don't rush.  My question is, Classic provides a bag to install on the auger housing as a counter weight, is it worth installing?
Clay

Reply #34   Dec 27, 2008 11:24 am
I think that the counter weight is dependant on your machine balance point.  On my snow thrower I did not install it because I didn't like the way that it mounted to the unit ( two bolts make dents in the metal of the thrower).  I thought that it would be a source of rust. 

On taking 3 hours, mine took me about an hour and I am a putzer, in other words, I check and recheck and then fiddle and then think some more.  With the Deluxe version I laid out all of the parts so that I could find the right ones first.  Then since it was in the single digits outside, I built the entire removeable cab in the heated comfort of my living room.  It was pretty basic:  LF (lower front) to UF (upper front) for two of the four sides.  LR (Lower rear or was it lower back?) to UR (upper rear) for two more of the four sides.  Put the other brace pieces on to make the removeable top and then put the skin on.  The parts to the machine were to cross sections and two verticle sections.  If you have to continually search for the right part or try and put it all together in the cold, it could take much longer. 

No matter how it gets done, you're going to love it.  After using mine for a few times I had to run a machine without a cab and I really missed it and found it frustrating to come back into the house all snow covered again.

borat

Reply #35   Dec 27, 2008 2:18 pm
I did the same as Clay.  Built the upper part of the cab inside.  It was much more comfortable and the fabric was easier to work with when it was warm.  Mine took around an hour and a half or so.  I wasn't being paid to do it and wasn't in a hurry so why rush.   I'm certain you'll enjoy it.   
rtlowe

Reply #36   Dec 27, 2008 6:52 pm
I found the Ariens cab to be of a better quality than others at the time I purchased mine..

Clay

Reply #37   Dec 27, 2008 7:38 pm
I might very well agree with you.  I paid $81 for my Classic Accessories from Sears with a price match and another 10% off.  The real question for me was it worth over twice as much.
borat

Reply #38   Dec 27, 2008 8:15 pm
Clay wrote:
I might very well agree with you.  I paid $81 for my Classic Accessories from Sears with a price match and another 10% off.  The real question for me was it worth over twice as much.

Personally, I can't see the Ariens snow cab being that much better than the Classic.  If it had stainless steel tubing, maybe so.  However, it has steel tubing of the same diameter as that of the classic.  The classic frame is powder coated.  Not sure if the Ariens is.   The fasteners and brackets are very robust on the Classic as well.  The only area that could possibly be better on the Ariens would have to be the fabric.  I have trouble believing that it would be that much better to be worth more than twice the price of the Classic.  In my opinion, the fabric and plastic on the Classic are very good quality.  I own a portable ice fishing shack that I've had for twenty years and it's tough.  The fabric on the ice shack looks the same and feels to be the same  thickness as the fabric on the Classic.    As we are all aware, brand names, (particularly well established brands) exact a premium price for their name.  There's a very good chance that the additional money  for the Ariens is for the exalted privilege  to carry the Ariens colour and name.  I'll go Classic black and keep the extra cash in my pocket.  Thank you.   
aa335

Reply #39   Dec 31, 2008 12:25 am
nhmatt wrote:

Check this video out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJ-pbJ2V2g

Clay

Reply #40   Dec 31, 2008 11:01 am
aa335 wrote:
Check this video out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMJ-pbJ2V2g

That guy is proof of what a snow cab can do for you.  He looks more like Frosty the snow man than anything else.  Made me shiver just watching that guy.  My pants get some snow blow back now, but I am not covered in that stuff any longer.  Still great investment.
borat

Reply #41   Dec 31, 2008 12:18 pm
I rest my case.
aa335

Reply #42   Dec 31, 2008 3:01 pm
borat wrote:
I rest my case.

Ok.  I couldn't resist.  Just one more.  I present you Exhibit B.  "Frosty the Snow-Woman"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vydk36FYlGc

This message was modified Dec 31, 2008 by aa335
Clay

Reply #43   Dec 31, 2008 3:20 pm
aa335 wrote:
Ok.  I couldn't resist.  Just one more.  I present you Exhibit B.  "Frosty the Snow-Woman"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vydk36FYlGc

My Daddy always taught me not to pee into the wind.  That girl has never had those kinds of experiences outside and it shows.  She just needs to learn which way the wind is blowing.  Kind of like my son when he was younger peeing into the wind.  Except he figured it out quicker than the "snow woman".  By the way that little torro or whatever it is is really chucking that powder and I don't see that small of a machine with a snow cab.  It might get out of balance easily on that small of a machine.
aa335

Reply #44   Dec 31, 2008 3:29 pm
Clay wrote:
My Daddy always taught me not to pee into the wind.  That girl has never had those kinds of experiences outside and it shows.  She just needs to learn which way the wind is blowing.  Kind of like my son when he was younger peeing into the wind.  Except he figured it out quicker than the "snow woman".  By the way that little torro or whatever it is is really chucking that powder and I don't see that small of a machine with a snow cab.  It might get out of balance easily on that small of a machine.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  Peeing in the wind.  You learn real quick when your feet and legs get wet.

At least the US postal employee would appreciate her effort in keeping her mailbox accessible.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2008 by aa335
Snowbound

Reply #45   Dec 31, 2008 10:58 pm
I have a Classic Cab.  Today the wind was blowing with gusts to 35+ kts and the temperature was nine!  NINE degrees F !  (Massachusetts)  We got over eight inches of blowing powder with drifts.  A cab is a MUST unless one enjoys snow blowing in their face with frostbite as a possibility.  I get a kick out of watching the tough guys out there with no hats or scarves and blowing snow under these extreme conditions.  Some people think they're bigger than life until they learn the hard way.  (probably non-veterans)

In the military, a person would get written-up (and get their a** kicked) if they were seen blowing snow without protective gear or clothing.

borat

Reply #46   Jan 1, 2009 11:53 am
Yo Snowbound:

Common sense isn't as common anymore. 

Before I was kicked off of the OPEONTHENET forum (Yeah.  They kicked me off last year for offending one of the Arien's Brothers.),  I made a post about the benefits of the snow cab.  The responses were a little bewildering to me.  I guess being old school, I wasn't aware that the activity of snow blowing is also a platform for fashion statement.  I was told that snow cabs looked goofy and anyone using them are un-cool.  Just goes to show the mentality of some of the participants of that forum.   So, the tough guys being frost bitten may have some allegiance to that group and have a fear of retribution if they were to submit to the comfort and shelter of a snow cab.    

aa335

Reply #47   Jan 2, 2009 2:47 pm
I like my snow cab.  I am also thinking about getting one those mad bomber hat with the earflaps.  Is that going to upset the Fraternal Order of Snowblower Fashion Police?

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.  Some people have it, some people don't. 

This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 47 of 47View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42