Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower cab

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Snow thrower cab
Original Message   Dec 9, 2008 5:08 pm
I asked this question as part of another post but thought that it would get a better response if I posted it as a stand alone thread.  I am considering a snow cab for my snow thrower.  First do you think that they are a good investment or is a snow thrower better without one?  Second, if you do have one and think that they are worth the effort to buy and install, which one would you recomend?  Borat, gave me a nice link in the other thread and there is a how to install video that I found interesting here: http://www.classicaccessories.com/instructions/.

How important is it to have one that has the easy on, easy off feature.  It was toughted as good for storage.  Thanks for the input,

Rick

Replies: 16 - 25 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Snow thrower cab
Reply #16   Dec 21, 2008 4:37 pm
Last year I posted a similar comment on a different  (the OPE ) forum.   I couldn't believe the number of replies that said snow cabs look goofy, made the operator look like a dork or was just not cool?   All these years of snow throwing, I had missed the part about how one should look while doing it.    Got to wonder what goes through some people's heads some times.  Personally, I think looking warm is a far better experience.   
Clay

Reply #17   Dec 22, 2008 2:27 pm
This old guy likes to be comfortable and forget what the neighbors think.  I'm glad to provide entertainment  for them and I will smile to myself.  By the way, the Elmer Fud hat that I wear is comfortable and keeps me warm no matter what my buddies tell me about how it looks.  Thanks for the help making the selection Borat, I really like it.

Rick

borat

Reply #18   Dec 22, 2008 2:37 pm
Clay wrote:
This old guy likes to be comfortable and forget what the neighbors think.  I'm glad to provide entertainment  for them and I will smile to myself.  By the way, the Elmer Fud hat that I wear is comfortable and keeps me warm no matter what my buddies tell me about how it looks.  Thanks for the help making the selection Borat, I really like it.

Rick

You're welcome Rick.  I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't a good value.  For the money, it can't be beat.   Considering what available, out there, I'd say that it's hard to beat at any price, particularly when compared to name brand units.
aa335

Reply #19   Dec 24, 2008 12:03 am
borat wrote:
Last year I posted a similar comment on a different  (the OPE ) forum.   I couldn't believe the number of replies that said snow cabs look goofy, made the operator look like a dork or was just not cool?   All these years of snow throwing, I had missed the part about how one should look while doing it.    Got to wonder what goes through some people's heads some times.  Personally, I think looking warm is a far better experience.  

I wear glasses so stopping every few minutes to wipe off the wet snow has become a real pain.  I was constantly adjusting the chute direction and deflector angle to minimize the snow blowing back in my face.  I thought about using ski goggles over my glasses but I read on the forum that some people have problem with the goggles fogging up.  Also, even with the goggles, my face is not completely protected from the blowing snow.  I decided to get the snow cab and give it a try.  I have to admit that after seeing on youtube.com a guy using a snowblower with a snow cab and it did look goofy.  From the side, it looked like a John Deere tractor but instead of the two large tires in the rear, there are these two small legs moving in the back.  :)  I did have a good laugh or two watching that video.

I was able to find the Classic Accessories Deluxe Snow Cab at Blain's Farm and Fleet for $94.  Everywhere else online was charging $129.  Stock status was getting depleted at most online places and I didn't want to wait for shipping when the Midwest is about to be pummeled with snow for the next two weeks.  Anyways, if you go online to Farm and Fleet website, you can check stock status of a local store.  I found a store nearby that had it in stock, and immediately called the store to verify stock status placed it on hold until I can pick it up later in the evening.

I installed the snow cab and the process took around 2.5 hours.  I was done in 1.5 hours but took another hour to tweak and fine tune the fit to my liking.  Got out my carpenter's level and make sure everything was level and plumb.  I also adjusted the height so that it's not too high and unstable in the wind, but not too low that the canopy would come down and wack me in the head when the snowblower decided to climb a snow bank.  It was all good to my satisfaction.

Tried it out the next evening.  Wow!  What a difference it made when its 0 degrees outside with 15 mph head wind.   I was well protected from the blasting wind and snow.  I actually felt a lot warmer tucked behind the cab.  I can blow the snow higher and further without worrying about it flying back at my face.  I was a self conscious about the neighbors watching and thinking how goofy or silly I look in the snow cab.  But that didn't matter for long, I was protected and enjoying snowblowing. 

This is the only negatives I have of the snow cab.  They are minor but I will mention them.  I did try removing the canopy top and putting back on.  Removing it was easy, pull two pins and lift the canopy straight up.  Putting it back on was not so easy unless you had someone holding the other side for you.  Also, it was a little work trying to get the four holes on each side of the pipes to line up so I can reinsert the pins.  I don't think I will be taking off the canopy very often so this is not an issue.  Also, the pins do vibrate and make a noise like something on the a snowblower was coming apart under the vibration of the engine.  However, I just rotate the pin until the vibration stopped. 

Well, that's my story and I'm glad I bought the snow cab. 

borat

Reply #20   Dec 24, 2008 9:51 am
My garage has an 11 or 12 foot ceiling.  I put a small pulley in the bottom of one of the trusses and run a piece of 1/4" rope through it.  I replaced the center bolt on the roof of the  snow cab with an eye bolt protruding through top.  I melted a hole through the center of the roof with a hot nail of appropriate size,  put a dab of silicone and a couple of nylon washers around the eye bolt  to minimize leaks and possible tearing.   Now I just roll the snow thrower under the pulley/rope device, pull the pins, loosen the cab and hoist it up to the ceiling.  Very easy to put on & take off as well as an excellent place to store the unit during off season.     
nhmatt

Reply #21   Dec 24, 2008 11:18 am
Get a snow suit.  About the same money and you can get more than one use out of it.  Also you don't have to stop and wipe the snow off the window to see where you're going.
Moderator Denis

Reply #22   Dec 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Hi all and Merry Christmas from the Abby's team, In my case I blow the snow on the east side of my driveway and the wind comes from the west at 95% of the time, I guess I don't really need this cab but for those who have to blow the snow on each side it's a must :)) I've been told that a good quality is important, some cheap just crush in the big wind.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by Denis

borat

Reply #23   Dec 24, 2008 2:02 pm
nhmatt wrote:
Get a snow suit.  About the same money and you can get more than one use out of it.  Also you don't have to stop and wipe the snow off the window to see where you're going.

I own both a snow suit and a snow cab.  They each have their purpose.  The problem with a snow suit is that it doesn't offer the face/eye protection that a cab does.  If you get a face mask, goggles etc., they fog up and inhibit vision considerably.  That in itself can be a real annoyance.  Another down side to the snow suit is the time it takes to gear up and gear down.  Especially if you have to take a leak.  Know what I mean?   Then there's the necessity to get the snow off of yourself before you go in the house. 

The cab seldom has to have the window cleared off because the machine's vibrations pretty much shakes everything off.  If snow does manage to stick to the window, a tap from the inside takes care of that.  Believe me, it's a much better experience clearing the driveway on a windy day inside a well built snow cab. 

Bill_H

Reply #24   Dec 24, 2008 11:43 pm
borat wrote:

The cab seldom has to have the window cleared off because the machine's vibrations pretty much shakes everything off.  If snow does manage to stick to the window, a tap from the inside takes care of that.  Believe me, it's a much better experience clearing the driveway on a windy day inside a well built snow cab. 

You got me thinking, I wonder if Armor-All would make that vinyl slick enough that the snow would fall off by itself? or Rain-X?

I think you guys have convinced me to get one of these. The  wind always seems to blow in opposite directions at the top and bottom of my driveway - about 100' separated by heavy woods. I always wear a cowboy hat when blowing as I can tilt my head and the large brim will catch it before it gets on my glasses, but I'm not always fast enough.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
aa335

Reply #25   Dec 25, 2008 9:24 am
Bill_H wrote:
You got me thinking, I wonder if Armor-All would make that vinyl slick enough that the snow would fall off by itself? or Rain-X?
I think you guys have convinced me to get one of these. The  wind always seems to blow in opposite directions at the top and bottom of my driveway - about 100' separated by heavy woods. I always wear a cowboy hat when blowing as I can tilt my head and the large brim will catch it before it gets on my glasses, but I'm not always fast enough.

On my snow cab, I believe the vinyl windows are already coated to prevent fogging and sticking of snow.    There's no need to put anything else on it.

Replies: 16 - 25 of 47Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42