Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
67L48

Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)
Original Message   Nov 8, 2007 8:32 pm
I've been researching the snow blower market for the past 2 years.  I live in Fort Collins, CO where we get 6-12 snowfalls a year in the 4-8" range.  Once in a while we get a big one of 12"+.  Last year we got nearly 3', but this is the rare exception.  The type of snow varies quite a bit.  Sometimes it's wet (great for snowmen) and sometimes it's like powder.  I have a 3 car garage on an otherwise standard lot.  Very slight downgrade.

Based on the average snowfall, the amount of area that I want to clear, and the storage space I have available in my garage, I think a single stage is the best option for me.  In fact, only about 1 out of every 10 houses around here has a snowblower of any kind.  So, I'm right in that grey area of justification -- do you really need one.  Frankly, since I've been here (only 4 years), the answer is a resounding, "Yes."

I've read countless pages on 2-stage vs. 1-stage.  Feel free to repeat the arguments, but I'm pretty certain that the 1-stage is all I want or need.  Similarly, there are lots and lots of comparisons between the 2-Stage big 3:  Ariens, Toro, and Honda.  There's lots of commentary on the MTD series:  Yardman, Whites, Craftsman, Frontier, etc.  Still not clear to me where Husqvarna fits in here -- read once that they were just another MTD/Craftsman machine.

What I don't see is comparisons between the 1-stage machines.  I've seen some reviews on the Toro CCR 3650GTS and some on the Honda HS520.  Virtually nothing on the Ariens 522 or 722.  Even less on the Husqvarna 1-stage.  Forget about finding good info on the White/MTD designs.

I had been leaning toward the Toro, but am concerned about the new product offering (it dropped the 2450/3650 for new machines).  It put in a new chute control gizmo and I'm hesitant to be the guinea pig.  Toro is also the most expensive list priced machine out there.

Ariens tends to be the hands-down favorite in 2-stage value.  Great machines that are almost always priced less than comparable offerings from the other big players.  But there seems to be a deafening quietness when it comes to its single-stage machines.  The 722EC looks to have great specifications and much more powerful than competitors -- 40% more hp than the standard 5hp machines out there.

Honda, ironically, looks like a value in the single-stage department.  Weird, considering that you're over $2,000 for one of its 2-stage machine and that won't even get you basic features like electric start or a headlight.  Yet, the 4-stroke, 5hp, reportedly torquey HS520A is priced at $600 locally.  E-Start isn't important to me at all.

Right now, I'm favoring the Honda 520 and don't feel like I could go wrong with this purchase.  However, I wanted to ask the question before I plunk down the cash.

Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 16 of 16View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42