Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
67L48

Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)
Original Message   Nov 8, 2007 8:32 pm
I've been researching the snow blower market for the past 2 years.  I live in Fort Collins, CO where we get 6-12 snowfalls a year in the 4-8" range.  Once in a while we get a big one of 12"+.  Last year we got nearly 3', but this is the rare exception.  The type of snow varies quite a bit.  Sometimes it's wet (great for snowmen) and sometimes it's like powder.  I have a 3 car garage on an otherwise standard lot.  Very slight downgrade.

Based on the average snowfall, the amount of area that I want to clear, and the storage space I have available in my garage, I think a single stage is the best option for me.  In fact, only about 1 out of every 10 houses around here has a snowblower of any kind.  So, I'm right in that grey area of justification -- do you really need one.  Frankly, since I've been here (only 4 years), the answer is a resounding, "Yes."

I've read countless pages on 2-stage vs. 1-stage.  Feel free to repeat the arguments, but I'm pretty certain that the 1-stage is all I want or need.  Similarly, there are lots and lots of comparisons between the 2-Stage big 3:  Ariens, Toro, and Honda.  There's lots of commentary on the MTD series:  Yardman, Whites, Craftsman, Frontier, etc.  Still not clear to me where Husqvarna fits in here -- read once that they were just another MTD/Craftsman machine.

What I don't see is comparisons between the 1-stage machines.  I've seen some reviews on the Toro CCR 3650GTS and some on the Honda HS520.  Virtually nothing on the Ariens 522 or 722.  Even less on the Husqvarna 1-stage.  Forget about finding good info on the White/MTD designs.

I had been leaning toward the Toro, but am concerned about the new product offering (it dropped the 2450/3650 for new machines).  It put in a new chute control gizmo and I'm hesitant to be the guinea pig.  Toro is also the most expensive list priced machine out there.

Ariens tends to be the hands-down favorite in 2-stage value.  Great machines that are almost always priced less than comparable offerings from the other big players.  But there seems to be a deafening quietness when it comes to its single-stage machines.  The 722EC looks to have great specifications and much more powerful than competitors -- 40% more hp than the standard 5hp machines out there.

Honda, ironically, looks like a value in the single-stage department.  Weird, considering that you're over $2,000 for one of its 2-stage machine and that won't even get you basic features like electric start or a headlight.  Yet, the 4-stroke, 5hp, reportedly torquey HS520A is priced at $600 locally.  E-Start isn't important to me at all.

Right now, I'm favoring the Honda 520 and don't feel like I could go wrong with this purchase.  However, I wanted to ask the question before I plunk down the cash.

Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 16NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
AirMojo

Re: Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)
Reply #1   Nov 9, 2007 10:35 am
This message was modified Nov 12, 2007 by AirMojo
67L48

Reply #2   Nov 9, 2007 3:45 pm
AirMojo wrote:
Anyhoo... The Honda 520 may do the job you need, but it looks a bit on the wimpy-side compared to the next model up (the 724 ?  With Hydrostatic tranny, infinite variable speeds!).  What have you used to remove snow in the past ?  A shovel ?   Then it will probably do the job and make you happy.  

The 724 is over $2,000 and the 520 is under $600.  So, it better be on the wimpy side when you compare the two.  It sounds like your needs are in a different league than mine and you needed a 2-stage blower.  Most people around where I live shovel snow.  The average 6" snowfall takes me around 30-45 minutes to clear.  I'm less interested in the 2-stage blowers at this point.

AirMojo wrote:

I welcome any comments pertaining to the Honda Snow Blowers... they seem to be the best available (and it helps to have a good reputable dealer !). 

Rather than turn this into a "Comment on Honda Snow Blowers" thread, I'd really like to keep it to a "Comparison between single-stage Snow Blowers" thread.  Thanks.

This message was modified Nov 9, 2007 by 67L48
jubol

Reply #3   Nov 9, 2007 5:47 pm
If I were you I would buy the Ariens 2 stage!!  Hands down!

Single stages are are very poor in  handling EOD!!

That is true of all the Brands!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
67L48

Reply #4   Nov 9, 2007 7:11 pm
jubol wrote:
If I were you I would buy the Ariens 2 stage!!  Hands down!

I'd love to hear your reasons why, esp. since you feel rather strongly about it.  Thanks.
Professorpi

Reply #5   Nov 9, 2007 9:30 pm

Go with the Honda 520 and if you feel that you need something with more ability (e.g. Ariens 2-stage), then the Honda will have very good resale value. Good luck and  please keep us informed.

kona9

Reply #6   Nov 9, 2007 11:23 pm
67L48,
I don't think your decision of going with a single stage is a bad idea.  Sure they have their limit, but a single stage will take care of 90-95% of the snow you will deal with.  I live in Amherst, NY which is a suburb of Buffalo.  We get our share of lake effect snow here and most homes have a snowblower.  The past two years I've been using a Toro 2450 manual start and it has not let me down.  It handles whatever you throw at it including what I get at the EOD.  Granted, I don't get a ton of snow dumped at the EOD.  You do have to work at it more than with a 2 stage.  The Honda unit you are looking at is probably the one I see sold at Home Depot around here.  It is about the same size as my 2450, so maneuverability is probably the same.  I would stick with Toro and Honda for a single stage.  You can now get the Toro singe with a 4 cycle engine but I'm not sure how the HP measures up to the Honda.  Mine has the 2 cycle engine and besides being a bit smoky at first start up, it runs very well and it is nice not to have to worry about oil levels and oil changes.  I would personally pick one of the new Toro single stages with the new chute control set up.
-Steve
jubol

Reply #7   Nov 10, 2007 5:55 am
Why 2 Stage??             EOD !!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
67L48

Reply #8   Nov 10, 2007 3:59 pm
jubol, my mistake.  I thought you recommended the Ariens single-stage and then mentioned that EOD is a problem.  Didn't realize that you said *2-stage.*  Sure, if I was in the 2-stage game, Ariens is my top choice.  But, I'm not.  Though I'm in a standard subdivision, in the 4 years I've lived in this house, our street almost never gets plowed.  It's weird, but EOD just isn't a concern for me.

I went today to look at the Toro and the Honda -- the Ariens dealer was on the other side of town and I didn't feel like the 20 minute drive.

Toro's new chute control is nice.  Really nice.  Otherwise, the 5.5 hp 4-str Tecumseh Snow King engine seems about the same (on paper) as the Honda 5.0 hp 4-str OHV engine -- I'm guessing that the 10% hp rating increase on the Toro is not noticeable.  Also, the Toro is 21" wide by 12.5" high intake versus Honda's 20" x 12" intake.  I'm not seeing much difference there.  The weights, dimensions, and housings all looked almost identical.

The Honda chute control is actually pretty nice, if not no-frills.  The metal hoop is very long and easily reachable by me (5'11") while comfortably standing behind the machine in a "normal operating stance."  Not as nice as Toro's zip deal, but very accessible -- much more so than the hoops on the Toro 2450 or SnowCommander, e.g.

Honda states a throw distance of 26' versus Toro's 35'.  That's interesting, especially when considering that Honda actually states a higher capacity at 55 tons per hour versus Toro's 1,800 lbs/min (54 tons/hr).

The Toro is for sale at the list of $760 (no deals to be had) and the Honda is below list at $600 (and comes with a free cover, for whatever that's worth).  Everything else being about equal, I ended up with the question of whether the Toro zip chute control was worth $160.  I'm leaning toward "no" right now.  I can see paying $50-$80 for that feature, but I don't think I value it for $760.  Since the dealer is stuck on MSRP, then I think that officially rules out the Toro.
WisBill

Reply #9   Nov 11, 2007 8:57 pm
67L48,

I am in the same boat with you debating 1 stage vs. 2 stage.  Last year I didnt do my research and I made a purchase I now regret.  I live in Wis. and we probably use the snowblower 10x a year.  8x are for smaller snows and 2x are for larger > 8" snowfalls.   I had been in the market for a new snowblower for awhile but rushed out before a big snow and bought an Ariens 520.    THis is a 5 HP 2 stage snow blower.    I knew this model only had 1 speed but they were sold out of the higher model that had multiple forward speeds.  WHat I learned was the one speed is very slow and it is very irritating to walk much slower than necessary to clear a 3" snow fall.

So...now I am trading that in and am wondering if I really need a 2 stage snowblower or if I should just go with the 1 stage model that would allow me to walk as fast as I want.  Yes, the heavier snowfalls would be a little more work, but that is only a couple times a year.  And the end of driveway is an issue for me as the snowplow can pile up a 4' pile after a large snowfall.  Get at it right away and the 1 stage would probably be OK but if it sits overnight and turns cold, then the 1 stage might not have the bite to get rid of that pile easily.

Anyway, I have heard from a lot of people around here that 1 stage is the way to go.    I looked at 1 stage models recently and my opinion is the Ariens is superior to the Toro.  The Toros looked more cheaply made.

I like the Ariens 722 model.  7 horsepower, 22" cut.  $650.   The knob to turn the chute direction is very easy to handle and very quick.  On the Toro the blue plastic handle that moves some cables to move the  chute direction seems like it would fail after awhile especially in wet, freezing weather.

I am interested in others' opinions, either on the 1 stage vs. 2 stage debate, or on the Ariens 722 model in particular.

This message was modified Nov 11, 2007 by WisBill
67L48

Reply #10   Nov 12, 2007 10:40 am
WisBill wrote:
I am interested in others' opinions, either on the 1 stage vs. 2 stage debate

Thanks for the comments.  If you want to hear a 1-stage vs. 2-stage debate, I'd appreciate it if you could open a new thread.  I'd really like to keep this a 1-stage comparison thread.  Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 16NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42