Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
67L48

Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)
Original Message   Nov 8, 2007 8:32 pm
I've been researching the snow blower market for the past 2 years.  I live in Fort Collins, CO where we get 6-12 snowfalls a year in the 4-8" range.  Once in a while we get a big one of 12"+.  Last year we got nearly 3', but this is the rare exception.  The type of snow varies quite a bit.  Sometimes it's wet (great for snowmen) and sometimes it's like powder.  I have a 3 car garage on an otherwise standard lot.  Very slight downgrade.

Based on the average snowfall, the amount of area that I want to clear, and the storage space I have available in my garage, I think a single stage is the best option for me.  In fact, only about 1 out of every 10 houses around here has a snowblower of any kind.  So, I'm right in that grey area of justification -- do you really need one.  Frankly, since I've been here (only 4 years), the answer is a resounding, "Yes."

I've read countless pages on 2-stage vs. 1-stage.  Feel free to repeat the arguments, but I'm pretty certain that the 1-stage is all I want or need.  Similarly, there are lots and lots of comparisons between the 2-Stage big 3:  Ariens, Toro, and Honda.  There's lots of commentary on the MTD series:  Yardman, Whites, Craftsman, Frontier, etc.  Still not clear to me where Husqvarna fits in here -- read once that they were just another MTD/Craftsman machine.

What I don't see is comparisons between the 1-stage machines.  I've seen some reviews on the Toro CCR 3650GTS and some on the Honda HS520.  Virtually nothing on the Ariens 522 or 722.  Even less on the Husqvarna 1-stage.  Forget about finding good info on the White/MTD designs.

I had been leaning toward the Toro, but am concerned about the new product offering (it dropped the 2450/3650 for new machines).  It put in a new chute control gizmo and I'm hesitant to be the guinea pig.  Toro is also the most expensive list priced machine out there.

Ariens tends to be the hands-down favorite in 2-stage value.  Great machines that are almost always priced less than comparable offerings from the other big players.  But there seems to be a deafening quietness when it comes to its single-stage machines.  The 722EC looks to have great specifications and much more powerful than competitors -- 40% more hp than the standard 5hp machines out there.

Honda, ironically, looks like a value in the single-stage department.  Weird, considering that you're over $2,000 for one of its 2-stage machine and that won't even get you basic features like electric start or a headlight.  Yet, the 4-stroke, 5hp, reportedly torquey HS520A is priced at $600 locally.  E-Start isn't important to me at all.

Right now, I'm favoring the Honda 520 and don't feel like I could go wrong with this purchase.  However, I wanted to ask the question before I plunk down the cash.

Thanks.
Replies: 15 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
67L48

Re: Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)
Reply #15   Nov 26, 2007 7:08 pm
I finally chose the Honda HS520A.  I like 4-stroke engines (nothing to do with environmental reasons), I like Honda engines, and I hate Toro's prices.

I bought through the Honda eStore (to get the free cover).  Word to the wise -- call your local dealer and make sure that they understand how it works, as it's very dependent on the individual dealership.  I screwed around with one dealer for a week before finally giving up and buying one at dealer #2.  Not going to bore you with the details, just make sure that if you go this route to call the dealer first.

Anyway, got the blower on the night before an expected snow fall.  Got just over 3" that night.  Blew the crap out of snow.  My initial impression was one of anger.  Anger at all the people who try to convince people to go to a 2-stage.  I stated the ~6" snow, normal residential driveway conditions here and still got people trying to sell me the 9 hp Ariens.  Anway, maybe my mind will change eventually, but the first snow was perfect and the little single-stage ate it up.  I know one guy who has a big 2-stage snowblower and was shoveling snow that day.  I didn't ask why, but I assume that it's because he felt a 2-stage is overkill for a 3" snowfall.  I know that I would have used any snowblower.  3" is enough snow that shoveling a triple-wide is still work.  If all I owned was a 13hp 32", I would have been out there with it!

Here's the bad news.  A guy one house over and two houses down from me also got a new single stage blower (looked like a Toro).  Why is this bad news?  Because, he started before me -- did his driveway, nearly all of the sidewalk on his side of the street and then did the sidewalks on my side of the street.  I was actually blowing my driveway when he started blowing my side walk ... and I live on a corner lot, so there's a lot of sidewalk.  That really pissed me off.  When I was done with my driveway, there was nothing left to blow -- the other guy did everything else within reasonable walking distance.  So, I was a little annoyed at the other guy's zeal, but it was nice of him to do so much work, I suppose.  I'm guessing that after the 3rd or 4th snowfall, neither of us will be as charitable, as our toys won't be new anymore.  ;-)

seabird

Re: Help with a Single-Stage purchase (Toro, Ariens, Honda)
Reply #16   Dec 17, 2007 11:34 pm
i've had the ariens 722 for about 2 years now and couldn't be happier.  its hard for me to compare as i have never owned a toro or honda snowblower but so far the ariens has been able to  handle anything and everything.  i'm sure toro and hondas are good machines but i originally opted for the ariens in light of the 2 extra hp, electric start and chute control.  out of all the features, the chute control is very handy and just the small size of a single stage is very good - easy to manuvure and i can get my driveway done in half the time of the 2 stage on most days.  the small size is also good when it comes to storage and accessing walkways that would be more difficult to manuvure a 2 stage.  for large EOD deposits that have frozen over, i have simply chopped up the chunks with a shovel and its easy going.  starting the 722 has been a breeze.  i have yet to use the electric start and typically it starts on the first or second pull.  fyi, my drive is about 40' long and my sidewalk is 50' long.  if there was any downside to the single stage it would be noise and smell.  both don't bother me much because i wear ear protection when using and the smell is something i hardly notice.
Replies: 15 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42