Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Just got back from my Snapper dealer.............

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Emmo

Just got back from my Snapper dealer.............
Original Message   Jul 20, 2005 2:57 pm
Another unimpressive visit.....

My Snapper SPWB broke its clutch spring......no big deal, but a little surprising after barely 2 seasons.  Unit still under Snapper 3 year warranty(or so I thought), I take the spring off and take to dealer for replacement. (Saves me loading it, waiting a few days for repair and trip back to pick it up).

Dealer says only 2 year warr. bumper to bumper, 3rd year only covers major stuff. He gets the spring and goes to find the price, I begged to differ about the warranty, but he insists and I am not in the mood to fight over a couple of bucks. Turns out he can't find the price because of some software screw up so he has to call the simplicity dude for a price. While he's on the phone he asks Simplicity man about the 3 year warranty, Simp. man says yeah its covered.

Dealer gives me the spring and then acts like he has done me some huge favor getting the warranty to cover it!! (The part is $2.13 at Jacks). I reminded him to make sure he writes himself up a nice warranty repair bill that will pay him some shop labor, since I was kind enough to make the repair myself and was only asking for the part at N/C. He wasn't impresssed.....

Neither was I..............when the warranty is over, so is our relationship.

PS   Since Simp bought Snapper, warranties have changed from 3 years to 2 years.  FYI.
This message was modified Jul 20, 2005 by Emmo
Replies: 3 - 12 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Just got back from my Snapper dealer.............
Reply #3   Jul 20, 2005 6:51 pm
  EMMO,

Email Snapper and file a complaint!!  Greasy wheels  always gets the grease!!

Fred      

This message was modified Jul 20, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #4   Jul 20, 2005 7:21 pm
Man that does stink... I think jubol meant to say scweaky wheels always get the grease. 

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   Jul 20, 2005 11:29 pm
Well, Termy I'd rather go through the hassle and get the part covered under warranty.  Maybe I just have too much time.  

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #6   Jul 20, 2005 11:56 pm
"This is why I never go to dealers in regards for parts that should be covered by my warrenty."

That's a broad stroke of the brush.
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #7   Jul 21, 2005 3:56 am
Fanny doodle loves spaghetti, but hates Italian food.

Come on and, Zooma Zooma Zooma Zoom.

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #8   Jul 21, 2005 7:18 am
Emmo...

Dealer's attitude makes a big difference to me too... glad you got the part...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #9   Jul 21, 2005 8:24 am
Not all dealers are, hmmmmmmm... what's a good word... can't say it here.  We go to bat for everything that warranty should cover, if we don't think that it was caused by neglect that is.  Even if the equipment is out of it's warranty period and we don't think that what ever broke should have broke - we make that phone call.  We've been running into a lot of warranty issues lately, all the companies that are changing hands, you just never know what's warranty (what new company will cover) and what's not any more.  So it is always best to push the dealer into making a phone call.  It may take some of their "valuable" time, but without the customer - they don't have a job.
It's always good to go the extra mile - make the customer happy - they will come back - upset the customer - well, you potentially lose the customer.
Sherri

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #10   Jul 21, 2005 3:08 pm
Sherri--That was the motto of our store for the many years we sold Snapper.   Make and keep the customer happy.  It will pay off.  You won,t have to advesrtise so much--your customers will do it for you.  Enjoyed your comments and wish you well---Your friend Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Garandman

Reply #11   Jul 22, 2005 7:20 am
This is very true. I took my Ariens into Maestranzi Bros in Beverly, MA a few years ago because it wasn't throwing snow well (worn belt - told him that) tuneup, etc. They put $165 of parts and labor into it, including a new gas cap! But forgot to change the belt, which I discovered in the middle of the next storm.

Went into Still's Turf Depot in Manchester, NH to buy some bushings and they had them in stock and gave me suggestions on the best way to get the old ones out.  So I buy parts there when I can, even though last June the Service Manager told me it was "Impossible" to put a new Intek Snow on an old Ariens....
This message was modified Jul 22, 2005 by Garandman
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #12   Jul 22, 2005 10:34 am
Here's a situation that we are running into more and more.  The whole thing about this business is sales AND service!  We sold a rear wheel drive mower last year.  No big deal there have been selling the same model for 3 or 4 years now.  The people that bought this mower use it pretty much everyday and have worn the rear wheels out.  After being told what the problem was and what parts were needed - I started calling our distributors.  Surprise, surprise - no wheels at 3 warehouses.  Now this has been going on for a couple of weeks.  Customer is not impressed at all and either is Chris.  Finally get to talk to someone a a distributor that is willing to find some of these wheels.  When the guy calls back he says he found 3 in Canada.  That was a week ago and we still haven't seen these wheels.  So yesterday, after throwing our hands up in the I surrender - take me away, we ordered the whole new mower.  We recieved it this morning Purolater and it is currently being stripped of its rear wheels.  This is not something that we like to do, but we did what we had to do.  Hopefully it will make the customer a little happier, know that they will not buy anything here again.  It's all in sales AND service.  It is impossible today for a dealer to carry everything that may be needed to repair a piece of equipment.  There are just so many different makes, models and sizes out there, we tend to depend on our distributors to have what is needed when it is needed.  I do feel bad for the people that have to wait for their equipment because we don't have the part, we depend on the distributor, but when they don't have the part, the crap usually hits the fan and I'm the one to answer the phone.  If it's some advice that I can offer, don't get aggrevated with the person on the other end of the phone or behind the counter.  When it happens to me - sorry to say it but I tend to put you on the back burner.  If you call me everyday wanting you piece of equipment, I expect that when it is done, you will arrive within 12 hours and pick it up or I will call you everyday until you come and get it.  A lot of people think that theirs is the most important piece of equipment - and to that person, it likely is, BUT when you see a yard that has 15 - 20 tractors, 20 - 25 push mowers, endless low buck special trimmers and saws - well don't expect your mower the same day.  We are having a hard time keeping up with the equipment turn around, in the last few years a couple of repair shops have closed, a couple have sprung up, but it takes time for them to "earn" their keep.
In the end it all comes down to SALES AND SERVICE that's the big thing.
Sorry about the rant this morning, but it feels good to get it out.
Sherri

Replies: 3 - 12 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42