Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > 'dusty' smell from exhaust

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
hooverman

'dusty' smell from exhaust
Original Message   Dec 11, 2021 12:21 am
Y does my TriStar CS have a 'dusty smell' exhaust when the bag is ˝way full? I'm using VAC (Vacuum America Clean) HEPA bags in the vacs (Aerus Lux Classic & TriStar CS) Makes me wonder VAC's HEPA bags let out fine dust btw I received a new hose from TriStar
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
CountVacula

Re: 'dusty' smell from exhaust
Reply #1   Dec 13, 2021 11:52 am
I wouldn't get excited. Even a Miele's exhaust can start to stink unless you use their uber expensive activated charcoal exhaust filter. Which Tristar exhaust filter are you using? They have a more expensive HEPA rated one with activated charcoal that works pretty well. I have a Patriot P1 that is freshly scrubbed inside and out, new cloth bag, new VACUSA synthetic disposable bag, new pleated HEPA pre-motor filter and a brand new one of those big ugly Medik-Aire exhaust filters ( $199 for the filter! ). Even with all new filters and a freshly cleaned vacuum the exhaust has minor but noticeable weird odor before I ever used it to clean with. The old exhaust filter was downright musty smelling. Take the exhaust filter off and no smell.
hooverman

Reply #2   Dec 17, 2021 9:16 pm
I'm using Dust Care micron afterfilter on the TriStar CS The old Compact has a foam filter on the exhaust cap @ least the TriStar doesn't leak unfiltered exhaust air
CountVacula

Reply #3   Dec 18, 2021 9:38 pm
Dust Care is kludge. Might as well not have a filter. Buy the genuine Tristar HEPA rated exhaust filter. Wash your cloth inner bag too. The VAC USA bags do not leak. Exercise care lifting the bag out of the cloth bag. I lift the whole cloth bag out of the vacuum first, then remove the disposable bag over a trash can so dust doesn't inadvertently fall into the bag chamber. Obtw, when was the last time you replaced the foam pre-motor filter. You should swap those out every six bags or so. Like I said, even the megabuck Miele can get stinky if the bag has been in it a while.
hooverman

Reply #4   Dec 19, 2021 8:04 pm
The old Compact & new TriStar CS have HEPA motor filters; so I blow them & the cloth bag out after each HEPA bag change I only let the bag fill 2/3 full; unless the exhaust smells sooner The TriStar CS outcleans my old Compact (both have the Ametek 115923 motors) altho the CS has a 'Aerus/Lux style' PN w/bristles only brush roller & the Compact has a Eureka 'Roto Matic' PN w/VG1 brush/beater bar roller Sometimes I use the Lux green bristle brush roller on the CS PN; but the circuit breaker trips easily
CountVacula

Reply #5   Dec 20, 2021 2:22 pm
If you use a Miracle Mate hose you can use any power nozzle with an upper wand and cord control compatible with Plastiflex central vacuum hose handles. You can change the spout on a Patriot hose and it too will be compatible with a central vacuum wand (for reasons I cannot fathom Patriot has to put the button lock in a non-standard place so only their wands and hose ends fit together right, but the right spout and suction release ring are $10 or so and ten minutes of fooling around. I use Centec and a Sebo ET350 E with my older Tristars and Miracle Mate. Btw, without regurgitating a bunch of test results here, of my several EX-20, EX-30 and modern Tristars, a Patriot P-1 and a couple of Miracle Mate models, the best of the bunch for airflow is the Miracle Mate Platinum and the worst is a DXL with the HEPA filter. My DXL with the 115923 motor and no exhaust filter and VAC USA bags generates 52 cfm. My Miracle Mate Platinum with the very same motor and their OEM paper bag generates 62-63 cfm. My P-1 with Stormy bags and the big Medik-Air filter makes 56 cfm but put the thicker HEPA rated Hybrid bag in the same machine and airflow falls to 52 cfm. My best Tristar is an A101N with an inducer motor from a Kenmore Elite. This is a 600 air watt motor but all it manages is 56 cfm in the Tristar due to the narrow hose diameter and limited exhaust opening. I think the large exhaust filter on the Miracle Mate plus the two additional exhausts on each side just let it breathe better.
vacomatic

Reply #6   Mar 12, 2022 6:38 pm
Sebo and a few others make Vacuum Fresh odor control sticks that, if you suck one of them into your bag, will help reduce bag odor.  You could also cut up a car freshener, ___but___  I would be ___darn sure___ their or any in-bag deodorizers are not oil based nor flammable (nearly all vacs use carbon brush motors generating strong electrical arcs).
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42