Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Best lightweight vacuum cleaner for sucking up bugs on the ceiling?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
bluegra415

Best lightweight vacuum cleaner for sucking up bugs on the ceiling?
Original Message   Nov 8, 2021 2:08 pm
I have an issue in my room with ladybugs flying in. While I'm trying to find the hole through which they enter and patch it, I would like the capability to suck them up. They typically make their way up to the ceiling. I have a popcorn ceiling, and so using my bug zapper racket makes a mess and they can hide in the crevices in between the popcorn texture. I would like a vacuum cleaner (ideally a handheld one, but maybe a stick vacuum would be best) that has the longest reach possible, as sometimes they are in the corner of the room on the ceiling and tables prevent me from getting close to them. I don't mind if it's corded or cordless. Ideally, I would be able to do some light vacuuming in my room with it as well. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance for the help.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
CountVacula

Re: Best lightweight vacuum cleaner for sucking up bugs on the ceiling?
Reply #1   Nov 9, 2021 4:13 pm
Buy a bagged canister and use the dusting brush on the end of the wand to clean the ceiling. A bagged vacuum is going to be less ghastly to empty considering it will be full of dead bugs than a bagless machines IMHO. And a canister is handier than any upright or stick vacuum for dusting furniture or cleaning hard floors. A good used Tristar or Electrolux USA canister that has been cleaned up by a reputable vacuum shop would probably outlast anything you could buy new for the same price.
bluegra415

Reply #2   Nov 28, 2021 4:14 pm
Thanks so much for your reply. One thing is the bugs aren't too nasty looking, they're really mostly just lady bugs for whatever reason. Your point about bagged canister vacuums is well taken though. Do you have any experience with the Dyson micro? I get that it's expensive but there are various ways of getting discounts on things, and I quite like the idea of having a sort of overpowered lightweight vacuum. Are there any competitors to this one? Is there a lightweight vacuum that is quite powerful? Now that it's winter, I'm thinking of something that will pick up little paper fibers and things and that I can use quite readily to dust and "sweep" dust often so that it doesn't get rolled into the floor by office chairs and things like that.
CountVacula

Reply #3   Nov 29, 2021 3:04 pm
Dyson = Die Soon. Dyson is this plasticky, cheaply made, grossly over priced kludge. First consideration, no battery powered vacuum can match the cleaning power of a corded vacuum. You'd need a battery pack the size of a car battery to get close to the power of the best corded vacuums. For the amount you will spend on a Micro, even with a discount you could buy a reconditioned Electrolux USA/Aerus Lux (Electrolux USA changed owners in 1998 and the new owner changed the name to Aerus Lux in 2004), Tristar or Patriot canister in excellent condition and have something that is more versatile, cleans better and will probably outlive you. Tristars in particular are all metal and last forever. In 15-20 years you might wear the motor out but they are inexpensive and easy to replace. Buy it once and use it forever. I have a 1945 vintage Compact Model 1, the very first vacuum from what would later be renamed Tristar and it still runs strong. You can pop a modern Tristar paper bag in it and it clean better than that new Die Soon ever will.
vacomatic

Reply #4   Mar 12, 2022 6:34 pm
Another candidate for a bug sucker would be the Eureka Flash, a stick vac that's built a bit better than Dyson's and far cheaper (was $50 during last year Xmas sales).  It has a relatively long cord, adjustable wand and save for some crevices inside the dust bin is relatively easy to clean. Yes it's another cheapo vac that may last 1 -2 years but I know of no "good" lightweight and affordable stick vacs (most of 'em start in the $100's and go up from there).
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42