Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Hoover self-propelled windtunnel problems

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
furshore

Hoover self-propelled windtunnel problems
Original Message   Jul 12, 2012 5:16 pm
Model U6625900.  The self propelled feature stopped working.  As it turns out it had a broken actuator arm...common problem.  I replaced the actuator arm.  I marked the cable position on the cable so I would put it back the right way.  Still no self-propelled.  Tried tightening and loosening the cable still no self propelled.  Any suggestions? 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
furshore

Re: Hoover self-propelled windtunnel problems
Reply #2   Jul 13, 2012 8:24 am
Thanks...replaced the belt...still not self propelled.  Do you think the cable where it attaches to the actuator arm should be adjusted again? Should I shorten the distance where the cable attaches to the actuator arm or lengthen it?  Any suggestions?
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #3   Jul 13, 2012 1:52 pm
What you are going to have to do is determine the problem by starting at the source.  You will have to turn it over and turn it on.  Then you will have to activate the power drive by hand and not the cable/handle.  The wheels should turn forward and backwards(just as if you were moving the handle forward and backwards).  If the power drive activates, then it is a cable problem.  If the power drive does not work when you try activating it, it is the power drive itself

The power drive belt does not wear as much as the agitator belt, because there is little resistance compared to the agitator against carpeting.  The power drive belt can last a couple of years before changing.  If you notice HOOVER sells the power drive belts separate from the agitator belts
procare

Reply #4   Jul 13, 2012 4:36 pm
Mike ,

The belt for the self propelled part of the cleaner is the flat belt. The V belt is for the agitator and is used to shut off agitator.If the wrong flat belt is on the cleaner the self propelled unit will not work. Take the brushroll out and try the self propelled unit. Leave  the v-belt on. Iftheunit works you won't have to take beltson and off.

furshore

Reply #5   Jul 14, 2012 7:08 am
I will try that...busy weekend...probably Monday.  I will post the results.
procare

Reply #6   Jul 14, 2012 11:56 am
There is one more thing to do on self propel units, that is to not to try it in the full upright postion because it must be lowered to your regular operating position. It is that way for using attachments and the brushroll and self propel won't work.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #7   Jul 14, 2012 12:51 pm
procare wrote:
Mike ,

The belt for the self propelled part of the cleaner is the flat belt. The V belt is for the agitator and is used to shut off agitator.If the wrong flat belt is on the cleaner the self propelled unit will not work. Take the brushroll out and try the self propelled unit. Leave  the v-belt on. Iftheunit works you won't have to take beltson and off.

My way is simple w/o taking any belts or brushroll off  Just watch the power drive wheels move as you  control the drive at the unit and not controlling it from the cable, which is controlled by the handle. It is the simple way of determining if the power drive is defective or it is further up, like the cable.  If he does it your way, and controls the power drive by the handle, then he is still going to wonder if it is the power drive or the cable.  That is back to his original question.  Disregard the belt, because he said he changed it
furshore

Reply #8   Jul 16, 2012 11:25 am
It now works.  Here is what I did and not did not do.  When I replaced the actuator arm I did not get the metal bracket replaced correctly.  There is a metal "strap" bracket that holds the actuator arm in position.  On that metal strap there is a slot...here is the important part ...there is a projecting metal knob on the wheel just below the strap.  The metal knob must go in the slot on the metal strap for the drive function to work properly.  After I did that everything worked great.  I guess when the actuator arm broke that wheel keep rotating and I did not notice the knob on the wheel.  Thanks for all of the suggestions...just thought you would want to know how it turned out. 
This message was modified Jul 16, 2012 by furshore
edman

Reply #9   Jul 28, 2012 1:28 pm
My self propelled is 20 years old and works so great my daughter rides it while I clean. Seriously, check it out: http://youtu.be/PnviK0WSfEs
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #10   Jul 28, 2012 11:19 pm
What is the deal posting the same thing on about four thread re; Kirby and your youtube?
vacmanuk

Reply #11   Jul 29, 2012 9:21 am
Mike_W wrote:
What is the deal posting the same thing on about four thread re; Kirby and your youtube?

I guess he likes it. But I'm glad you picked up on that!
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42