Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Another machine to buy

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
jkbmmv

Another machine to buy
Original Message   Dec 27, 2011 1:51 am
I am looking for thoughts on a canister type carpet cleaner/extractor.. I was thinking to just use a shop-vac and a spray bottle of mixed solution, but I really would like something I can use in my car so I wouldn't have to pay to have it detailed anymore.. As far as needs. I have area rugs and upholstered furniture and a carpet on the bottom half of the walls in my bedroom that I would like to be able to wash... I started looking around because I was thinking of the little green clean machine but was told those are all crap and they all break... I saw Sanitaire SC6070 and liked that but not really liking the price on it (really can't seem to find a consistent one). I saw http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Bissell-9E01-Xtra-Lift/dp/B0000TZYBG <-- that on amazon but can't find any info on it what so ever so I am not sure. I like the price, and if I can use hand tools with it it'd be perfect, but I can't seem to find anything at all...

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

Joshua
Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Outline
Venson

Re: Another machine to buy
Reply #1   Dec 27, 2011 12:12 pm
I took a quick look at the CR ratings (I know -- boo, hiss and boo again) and the Hoover Spin Scrub F7452-900 got high marks.  It's a bit on the hefty side (26 lb.) and only rated "fair" in regard to operating noise.  Best price is 215 bucks if you look around online.  Bissell's ProHeat 2X9200 got nice marks too.  Noise levels were good though heavier.  Prices may run as low as as $160 online.

Both these machines are bulky and may challenge the storage aspect.

Venson

jkbmmv

Reply #2   Dec 27, 2011 5:39 pm
I'm looking for a canister of some sort, not an upright.

Joshua
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #3   Dec 27, 2011 6:50 pm
jkbmmv wrote:

Given that the Hoover has a nice long hose it is a versatile machine.  I have used mine to detail my car, and it works quite well.

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
vacmanuk

Reply #4   Dec 30, 2011 11:42 am
jkbmmv wrote:

Its virtually difficult to find a canister washer - unless you consider Bissell with their Big Green Complete machine:   

http://www.bissell.com/big-green-complete-deep-cleaner-vacuum/

Also it looks like Bissell have brought out an upright with a removable tank and hose:

http://www.bissell.com/lift-off-deep-cleaner/

Perhaps Venson can check if this machine has been tested by CR or the other one I mentioned.
This message was modified Dec 30, 2011 by vacmanuk
Venson

Reply #5   Dec 30, 2011 1:26 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Its virtually difficult to find a canister washer - unless you consider Bissell with their Big Green Complete machine:   

http://www.bissell.com/big-green-complete-deep-cleaner-vacuum/

Also it looks like Bissell have brought out an upright with a removable tank and hose:

http://www.bissell.com/lift-off-deep-cleaner/

Perhaps Venson can check if this machine has been tested by CR or the other one I mentioned.

Hi vacmanuk,

Per your suggestion, I did check out CR ratings again.  This machine which actually has two versions (models 94Y2 and 73HS -- $259 and $279 respectively at the Bissell site) but is not yet listed or rated at CR. 

Though a canister, the Big Green Machine -- I think -- is not the ticket for serious rug duty due to no powered brushing action for wet cleaning carpeting.  A lot of elbow grease may be required, especially in pet situations, as it has no powered brushes.  Sears Kenmore took a stab at marketing the all-in-one idea a couple of times over the last twenty years or more.  One model (two or three versions) plus a later machine called "The Pig" (bought one, then tossed it) actually had special electrified PNs for wet carpet cleaning but did not appear to go over well. 

For anyone interested in Bissell product I also noted offerings of $20 discounts and free shipping for some product if you buy direct online. 

Happy New Year to you vacmanuk and also to all our other members.

Venson

This message was modified Dec 30, 2011 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #6   Dec 31, 2011 5:50 pm
Happy New Year to you too, Venson and to everyone else!
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #7   Jan 2, 2012 4:09 am
Venson wrote:
Hi vacmanuk,

Per your suggestion, I did check out CR ratings again.  This machine which actually has two versions (models 94Y2 and 73HS -- $259 and $279 respectively at the Bissell site) but is not yet listed or rated at CR. 

Though a canister, the Big Green Machine -- I think -- is not the ticket for serious rug duty due to no powered brushing action for wet cleaning carpeting.  A lot of elbow grease may be required, especially in pet situations, as it has no powered brushes.  Sears Kenmore took a stab at marketing the all-in-one idea a couple of times over the last twenty years or more.  One model (two or three versions) plus a later machine called "The Pig" (bought one, then tossed it) actually had special electrified PNs for wet carpet cleaning but did not appear to go over well. 

For anyone interested in Bissell product I also noted offerings of $20 discounts and free shipping for some product if you buy direct online. 

Happy New Year to you vacmanuk and also to all our other members.

Venson

I really do not remember Kenmore marketing a deep cleaning machine called "The Pig".  Ryobi Motor Prod.(Singer) did have a machine called the Turtle.  Kenmore also used this machine under their Kenmore name.  It was called the Turtle, because it has some resemblance to a turtle.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #8   Jan 2, 2012 4:19 am
jkbmmv wrote:
I am looking for thoughts on a canister type carpet cleaner/extractor.. I was thinking to just use a shop-vac and a spray bottle of mixed solution, but I really would like something I can use in my car so I wouldn't have to pay to have it detailed anymore.. As far as needs. I have area rugs and upholstered furniture and a carpet on the bottom half of the walls in my bedroom that I would like to be able to wash... I started looking around because I was thinking of the little green clean machine but was told those are all crap and they all break... I saw Sanitaire SC6070 and liked that but not really liking the price on it (really can't seem to find a consistent one). I saw http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Bissell-9E01-Xtra-Lift/dp/B0000TZYBG <-- that on amazon but can't find any info on it what so ever so I am not sure. I like the price, and if I can use hand tools with it it'd be perfect, but I can't seem to find anything at all...

Any thoughts or recommendations ?

You would do well w/the Sanitaire portable or the Rubbermaid canister.  I have found canister units do clean well, if you know how to do it.  The Rubbermaid(Bissell) is an old model.  That is why it is cheap.  Using a wand to clean could cause back aches for the taller person, since you must bend.  A canister deep cleaner, w/its wand and rug nozzle applicator/extractor head can clean those pet stains well.
Venson

Reply #9   Jan 2, 2012 7:55 am
Mike_W wrote:
I really do not remember Kenmore marketing a deep cleaning machine called "The Pig".  Ryobi Motor Prod.(Singer) did have a machine called the Turtle.  Kenmore also used this machine under their Kenmore name.  It was called the Turtle, because it has some resemblance to a turtle.

Hi Mike,

Thinking the idea of an all in one machine was cool at the time, I actually bought one because I landed it at a discount.  It turned out to be a white with blue trim hump-backed behemoth (the wheel wells jutted out at the sides) and it roared like the dickens.

The tubing for delivering the cleaning solution was attached to the hose externally but the same suction hose was used for both wet and dry work.  As I said, the noise it created was unbearable and I had to get rid of it not long after I bought it.  More's the mercy, it was also short-lived on the Sears roster.

We're going back thirty years so I had to have acquired it some time during the early part of the 1980s.  I've no idea where it was made but was definitely not akin to the machines Sears had been offering as all-in-ones -- basically round shop vacs that fitted on top of a wheeled holding tank that contained cleaning solution.  Those too were fitted out with attachments for dry vacuuming plus tools and options for wet cleaning. (See pic)  I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the machine I had.

By the way -- Happy New Year.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2012 by Venson
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2012 7:10 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thinking the idea of an all in one machine was cool at the time, I actually bought one because I landed it at a discount.  It turned out to be a white with blue trim hump-backed behemoth (the wheel wells jutted out at the sides) and it roared like the dickens.

The tubing for delivering the cleaning solution was attached to the hose externally but the same suction hose was used for both wet and dry work.  As I said, the noise it created was unbearable and I had to get rid of it not long after I bought it.  More's the mercy, it was also short-lived on the Sears roster.

We're going back thirty years so I had to have acquired it some time during the early part of the 1980s.  I've no idea where it was made but was definitely not akin to the machines Sears had been offering as all-in-ones -- basically round shop vacs that fitted on top of a wheeled holding tank that contained cleaning solution.  Those too were fitted out with attachments for dry vacuuming plus tools and options for wet cleaning. (See pic)  I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the machine I had.

By the way -- Happy New Year.

In 1978 Vax entered the UK market with their canister 3 in 1 machine. It spawned quite a few models, but seems to be more popular now in its new country of production, Australia:

We had one and it sounds quite similar to yours, Venson - one bucket at the bottom collects the water, with a bladder recovery bucket in between where water and cleaning solution goes in plus 4 litres of water. Suction and static bar type floor head. Good principle until the machine gets too heavy to lift and can be a back aching experience having to continually drag the floor head across a carpet until it is "squeaky" clean. In dry mode, the Vax design had a tendency to burst the dust bags until they fitted a suction control dial to stop it from happening. The Vax canister really took off in the 1980's to the 1990's with various versions appearing including a squatter/smaller model:

Venson

Reply #11   Jan 4, 2012 3:46 am
vacmanuk  wrote:

We had one and it sounds quite similar to yours, Venson - one bucket at the bottom collects the water, with a bladder recovery bucket in between where water and cleaning solution goes in plus 4 litres of water. Suction and static bar type floor head. Good principle until the machine gets too heavy to lift and can be a back aching experience having to continually drag the floor head across a carpet until it is "squeaky" clean. In dry mode, the Vax design had a tendency to burst the dust bags until they fitted a suction control dial to stop it from happening. The Vax canister really took off in the 1980's to the 1990's with various versions appearing including a squatter/smaller model:

Hi vacmanuk,

From what I see in you Vax images, they thought to add some flexibility to the cleaning nozzle.  As you can see with the Kenmore, the cleaning head has no pivots and had to be held at specific angle to be effective. 

Venson

hooverman

Reply #12   Jan 4, 2012 6:02 pm
Has anyone tried the Bissell Big Green Powerbrush canister?  I had one & it did nice job washing carpets.

Bissell Big Green Powerbrush 1680

The following machine(s) are from eBay:

Rug Doctor R-40

Vibra Vac (by Rug Doctor)

Rug Rover (I have NEVER seen this one before) w/RovaMatic power brush

Thermax

Rinse N' Vac (were they by Thermax?)

Maybe I might buy/rent any of the above soon (I already own the Bissell); & see which one gets the dirtiest carpets clean.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2012 by hooverman
edman

Reply #13   Jul 28, 2012 1:15 pm
There is one vacuum you can convert from an upright to a canister and shampoo in either position. I own a 20 year old Kirby that still works like new. They are heavy because they are made out of metal, but isn't it best to buy once and to buy right? They are so easy to push I let my daughter ride it while I clean, check out the video of it: http://youtu.be/PnviK0WSfEs . If there is a better vacuum I would like to know what.
vacmanuk

Reply #14   Jul 28, 2012 11:04 pm
edman - I think you've gone overboard with your persistence with a Kirby. It's not the perfect upright vacuum for all and thus, each to their own. Kirby are too big for the UK, most consumers baulk at the prices and they're far too heavy. I have tried them though and I do like them in commercial cleaning areas - but if I was going to buy an American vacuum I think it would be the Sanitaire uprights - well designed and so robust. We had them in the UK for a very short time.
Replies: 1 - 14 of 14View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42