Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble
Original Message   Feb 15, 2011 4:23 pm
I actually played with one at Lowes the other day. Overall, I liked the design, but the foam pre-filter is crap compared to Dyson's recent pre-filter design (which is also featured on the Hoover Platinum Cyclonic and Panasonic/Kenmore canisters...but I suppose its washable HEPA filter makes up for it. http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/ Highlights: - 14 foot cleaning reach - LED headlight - "Ball-like" swivel action - Metal Soleplate - 5 year warranty - $299
This message was modified Feb 15, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 55 - 64 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble
Reply #55   Apr 11, 2011 11:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
No, quite the contrary:  You're wrong.  I SAID I PREFER THE SWIVEL AND TWIST OVER THE ANCIENT DYSON BALL.  Now, seems I recall when dyson launced its ball model in 2005 YOU SAID it was styled after the old fashioned metal uprights of years ago.  Am I right?   Who wants an old fashioned looking vacuum that sits on a ball and costs $500-$600.  Except perhaps you.  Tho, from what you have said here you really don't.  Just arguing that the ball has a smaller radius to turn and easier for persons with bad wrists to use.  Now, those are both excellent reasons to buy a full sized upright rather than a lightweight. 

Carmine D.

When it comes to the "twisting/swiveling" feature of a vacuum cleaner and this is usually how a vacuum is sold or promoted as, then yes, dyson wins.  As for what it looks like, well, that is not what I am talking about.  I am not talking about the price.

While I am not sure if I said what you think, but I would not put it passed me to say it looks like vacuum which utilize "bell shaped" cleaning heads.  There is something I remember saying to T.G., Venson, etc. It does not matter how old a vacuums design is, as long as the vacuum  cleaner works.  I think one comment T.G. used was that the Sanitaire uprights were "old fashioned".  That may be true, but it is great at carpet cleaning, low maintenance, and now, better filtration.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I thought Royal "all metal" uprights cleaned very well and were old fashioned.  I even have the 4000.  It does have some cons, but what do I always say? "There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner".

I do not get the whole "full sized upright rather than a lightweight" statement.  Not everyone should be using a lightweight vacuum cleaner.  I cannot see everyone using a  HOOVER  Air in a large home, unless it is for quick pick-up.  There are going to be complaints. They are going to complain about having to empty the container constantly.   A Riccar Supralite is great, but maybe someone wants the features of a full sized upright.
This message was modified Apr 11, 2011 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #56   Apr 12, 2011 4:15 am
Mike_W wrote:
When it comes to the "twisting/swiveling" feature of a vacuum cleaner and this is usually how a vacuum is sold or promoted as, then yes, dyson wins.  As for what it looks like, well, that is not what I am talking about.  I am not talking about the price.

While I am not sure if I said what you think, but I would not put it passed me to say it looks like vacuum which utilize "bell shaped" cleaning heads.  There is something I remember saying to T.G., Venson, etc. It does not matter how old a vacuums design is, as long as the vacuum  cleaner works.  I think one comment T.G. used was that the Sanitaire uprights were "old fashioned".  That may be true, but it is great at carpet cleaning, low maintenance, and now, better filtration.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I thought Royal "all metal" uprights cleaned very well and were old fashioned.  I even have the 4000.  It does have some cons, but what do I always say? "There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner".

I do not get the whole "full sized upright rather than a lightweight" statement.  Not everyone should be using a lightweight vacuum cleaner.  I cannot see everyone using a  HOOVER  Air in a large home, unless it is for quick pick-up.  There are going to be complaints. They are going to complain about having to empty the container constantly.   A Riccar Supralite is great, but maybe someone wants the features of a full sized upright.

Try reading Vacmanuk's post about his Mother's broken hand and her experiences with vacuums.  [You brought up your wrist problem.]  She likes the ORECK and SEBO [save the ORECK sound and I understand the latest models sold by SEARS may even address the noise problem].  That's the point.  Vacmanuk got it, so did his Mom.  Simple to read and comprehend.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 12, 2011 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #57   Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm
Mike_W wrote:
I am not quite sure what you are asking, but the machine is not self propelled. The Nimble is heavy, but there is slight forward movement w/the help of the longer, aggressive brushroll bristles and human assist.  What I call the "handle-weight" is heavy and I believe this would be hard for a much older person to use, IMHO.  Even w/a nicely designed looped handle, the Nimble would be hard to use.  The user must turn the upper portion of the upright, using your wrist, to turn the cleaning head slightly.  It is much harder than SEBO.

I have always said that looped handle uprights are better to use.  I even said, eventhough I do not ORECK uprights are the best, David Oreck got it right w/the handle.  I find you do not have to grip the handle in order to push it forward.  With looped handles, very little gripping is involved.  I have tested this out with many a upright.  Having a handle, which must be gripped is more work.  I could take a Panasonic/Kenmore upright, with looped handle and pull back the machine just using my thumb and pointing finger.  Better looped handles are ones where the handle is bent enough, so that the palm can be used on the forward motion(like ORECK).  This requires little movement.  The only drawback is if there is arthritis in that area.

I do not know if I answered your question or not.

Thank you for answering the question.

None of SEBO's uprights are self propelled either - they don't involve a mechanism which is geared or mechanised to offer that faciity - yet they surge ahead and feel lighter to the user. Re-thinking the swivel on the Nimble - it looks very much like that of the Miele S7 swivel - i.e.e larger pivotal mechanism joined between bottom of the vacuum where the pre-motor filter would be located and the top of the hood of the upright. SEBO's Felix has a small pivotal neck and thus doesn't require that much turning - compared to Miele & Nimble seen by the photos.

Not all looped handles are the same though - the Oreck impels owners to hold the handle almost dead upright as if they are holding a joy stick when the Oreck upright vac is in use. More modern uprights with a looped handle employ the hand to push down at a flatter angle, also similar to that of the Hoover Freemotion cylinder which lacks a loop but is orthopaedically more comfortable:

Hoover however made the mistake of making the handle flatter despite being more comfortable by "looks," and then adding a heavy clip on tool directly underneath. In practice, it endangers pressure on the side of the hand, thus employing a clenched pose rather than using all bones within the hand equally and putting too much weight on one side of the hand - which is clearly demonstrated in the above photo.
This message was modified Apr 12, 2011 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #58   Apr 13, 2011 8:53 am
Mike_W wrote:
 "There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner".

I do not get the whole "full sized upright rather than a lightweight" statement.  Not everyone should be using a lightweight vacuum cleaner.  I cannot see everyone using a  HOOVER  Air in a large home, unless it is for quick pick-up.  There are going to be complaints. They are going to complain about having to empty the container constantly
.   A Riccar Supralite is great, but maybe someone wants the features of a full sized upright.

There may not be the BEST or Perfect vacuum for all BUT surely vacuum makers who make their products better for all persons to use are attempting to defy that statement, which frankly is antiquated and disengenuous.  This AMAZON video is for the HOOVER lightweight bagged upright and dual compact canister.  Consumer Reports has rated this duo as its top rated pick on several occasions and within its top 10 picks on all occasions where it/they are rated and reviewed ALONG with full size uprights.  CR never adds the qualifier that it is a lightweight and only should be considered for quick pick ups and/or in conjunction with a full sized cleaner for home cleaning.  That thinking is stuck in the very old vacuum past.  The vacuum world has changed.  I've chosen the HOOVER vacuum team becuase you and others here have mentioned it in the past favorably.  

ORECK is THE VACUUM maker that has been the leader in the dual vacuums' marketing strategy.  Dave Oreck contradicted this wrong lightweight vacuum thinking when he introed his lightweight upright almost 50 years ago.  Vacuum makers from RICCAR, HOOVER, ELECTROLUX, KENMORE, SEBO, dyson and others followed ORECK's lead.  There is no difference between a full size canister with a power head nozzle and a direct suction lightweight upright [like the ORECK/HOOVER] for cleaning parity on rugs and floors.   

Carmine D.

Check Out Related Media

Click to watch this video
Amazon
Video

This message was modified Apr 13, 2011 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #59   Apr 13, 2011 9:46 am
CarmineD wrote:
There may not be the BEST or Perfect vacuum for all BUT surely vacuum makers who make their products better for all persons to use are attempting to defy that statement, which frankly is antiquated and disengenuous.  This AMAZON video is for the HOOVER lightweight bagged upright and dual compact canister.  Consumer Reports has rated this duo as its top rated pick on several occasions and within its top 10 picks on all occasions where it/they are rated and reviewed ALONG with full size uprights.  CR never adds the qualifier that it is a lightweight and only should be considered for quick pick ups and/or in conjunction with a full sized cleaner for home cleaning.  That thinking is stuck in the very old vacuum past.  The vacuum world has changed.  I've chosen the HOOVER vacuum team becuase you and others here have mentioned it in the past favorably.  

ORECK is THE VACUUM maker that has been the leader in the dual vacuums' marketing strategy.  Dave Oreck contradicted this wrong lightweight vacuum thinking when he introed his lightweight upright almost 50 years ago.  Vacuum makers from RICCAR, HOOVER, ELECTROLUX, KENMORE, SEBO, dyson and others followed ORECK's lead.  There is no difference between a full size canister with a power head nozzle and a direct suction lightweight upright [like the ORECK/HOOVER] for cleaning parity on rugs and floors.   

Carmine D.

Check Out Related Media

Click to watch this video
Amazon
Video

There is a difference in Oreck and other brands.  The other brands actually remove imbeded dirt.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #60   Apr 13, 2011 12:09 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Carmine D.

You see, you are agreeing w/me and then contradicting yourself again.  It is not "antiquated and disengenuous" if it is true.  Manufacturers continue to try improving their product(s).  While they may add an improvement, something else may lack.  I will continue to use that phrase, because it is true.

You are not understanding my statement.  I said-
Mike_W wrote:

This was in response to your "smart" statement, which I could not understand.  I took liberty and responded w/a logical statement.  As anyone can see, I gave a full explanation.  I used the HOOVER Air as one example, as well as the Riccar Supralite.  You chose to pull every lightweight vacuum together and say I have said the same thing about everyone of them.  The Riccar would be fine for a very large home,  but someone will complain that they do not want to run and get a suction-only vacuum, for other vacuuming chores.  What does ORECK do, he puts out the Edge w/an onboard hose.  The only problem is, hose use is only good for small work ilke dust on a baseboard.  The Edge is not perfect or the Best.  Do you understand now? I even stayed in the lightweight category. Again!
CarmineD

Reply #61   Apr 13, 2011 12:35 pm
Mike_W wrote:
This was in response to your "smart" statement, which I could not understand. 

Hopefully you understand now.  If not ask, I'll be happy to assist you just as I do your buddy here HS.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #62   Apr 13, 2011 12:44 pm
 "There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner".

I will continue to use that phrase, because it is true.  

Source:  Our illustrious Moderator here on this site Mike W.

Is this your original thought/idea or are you quoting someone else who you did not give credit to here?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 13, 2011 by CarmineD
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #63   Apr 13, 2011 1:00 pm
Carmine;

I know that you are still viewing, so sign in and read your email.

Mike W.
vacmanuk

Reply #64   Apr 18, 2011 5:14 am
Typically AEG is taking on the Nimble in the UK. Seems that the higher end/more modern rivals are being used by Electrolux's other brand to "reinstate German engineering". Arrives in the UK by May 2011.
Replies: 55 - 64 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42