Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble
Original Message   Feb 15, 2011 4:23 pm
I actually played with one at Lowes the other day. Overall, I liked the design, but the foam pre-filter is crap compared to Dyson's recent pre-filter design (which is also featured on the Hoover Platinum Cyclonic and Panasonic/Kenmore canisters...but I suppose its washable HEPA filter makes up for it. http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/ Highlights: - 14 foot cleaning reach - LED headlight - "Ball-like" swivel action - Metal Soleplate - 5 year warranty - $299
This message was modified Feb 15, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 45 - 54 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble
Reply #45   Apr 7, 2011 3:08 pm
Mike_W wrote:
You have failed to disprove me.  Instead you mention other things about the dyson and its different models.  You talk about how the dyson cannot get under furniture.  All these things are not what I am talking about .  When it comes to twist/swivel features of some vacuum cleaners,  I have found dyson to be the best at this feature.  This brand has a wider degree turn than others. You have not disproved it.  You have not even tried the Nimble yet.  You later say that you like the Nimble, because it does better on floors than carpeting.  It is an upright!  You have not tested the Nimble on carpeting, because Lowe's does not have test rugs for demos.

Let me take another tact.  First, my intent is not to disprove you.  Like and buy whatever you want.  Second, I DON"T LIKE THE BALL WHEEL.  Period, end of story.  Never have and never will.  I prefer the twist/swivel features of uprights, especially the ones I mentioned: ORECK, MIELE, NIMBLE and Felix.  NOT BALL WHEELS.  Finally, you're fixated on the ball under the vacuum and are forgetting everything else that uprights have to do beside manuever.  Like perform.  I'm judging the entire product with and around the ball not just the ball.  If you want to be fixated on the ball and turning radius, fine go for it.  But if the darn thing won't clean, then it don't mean a thing. 

Carmine D.

PS: if I recall correctly, YOU said you don't even have to turn the dyson ball on to see its maneuverabilty.  Just use it w/o power on.  So I don't get your point that the NIMBLE has to powered on to be able to prefer it to a dyson ball wheel.  Not really.  All I have to do is look at the huge ball wheel, laugh out loud, and say not in my lifetime will I buy and use it.  All the rest is filler.

When dyson luanched its DC15 ball in April 2005 to much fanfare, it had an MSRP of $599.  I laughed and said no way.  Even said it would come down in price after it didn't sell and predicted at least $50 less.  Dyson dropped the MSRP by $100 by June 2005.  And it still didn't sell well.  The DC18 a modified ball model sold better at $469. 

This message was modified Apr 7, 2011 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #46   Apr 7, 2011 6:25 pm
Mike_W wrote:
I am going to tell you the same thing I told Carmine.  You have failed to disprove me.  Instead you talk about an award for the Felix  You even bring in how the DC33 did not even "rate in that respect".  The DC33 does not even have a swivel/twisting feature.  I could care less if the dyson goes under furniture or has a long hose, etc, because it has nothing to do w/what should be debated.   All you are doing is defending one of your favorite brands

What I have done is prove my point that dyson ball uprights' twisting/swiveling feature is better than others, especially the Electrolux Nimble.  You brought up the SEBO and came to its defense.  I again proved my point w/ SEBO's OWN VIDEO demo, PRODUCED BY SEBO.

What I was able to do was take a brand, one that is not my FAVORITE, and admit it has A FEATURE that excels over others.  I have in no way said dyson is the best vacuum cleaner.  Also, I have in no way said the SEBO is a bad vacuum cleaner. 

I hazard a bet that there's no upright Dyson that can go under low furniture. Not much versatility for upright owners then..

As for the swivelling action you seem to think that because the Dyson has a wider track when swivelling, that is better than the Nimble. For a start we don't have the Nimble in the UK so I can't possibly comment. We do however have the Hoover Slalom which strangely the Nimble reminds me of in a big way. In both cases, a swivelling upright vacuum will work IF THE TOP HALF is light. If the top half like the Miele S7 is heavier than the floor head, no matter how much of an angle it swivels or twists, it must be a heck of a weight that the owner has to control. It was one of the less redeeming features I disliked about the Miele S7. Reiterates the old thought that uprights are heavier than cylinders in that respect - not exactly moving anything on. The trouble with Dyson's ball is that whilst it looks novel and whilst I'd agree that it feels easier to swivel to a wider angle, the ball gets in the way. Dyson needs to make the ball smaller and more agile regardless of whether the swivel/twist action is wider.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #47   Apr 11, 2011 1:56 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I hazard a bet that there's no upright Dyson that can go under low furniture. Not much versatility for upright owners then..

As for the swivelling action you seem to think that because the Dyson has a wider track when swivelling, that is better than the Nimble. For a start we don't have the Nimble in the UK so I can't possibly comment. We do however have the Hoover Slalom which strangely the Nimble reminds me of in a big way. In both cases, a swivelling upright vacuum will work IF THE TOP HALF is light. If the top half like the Miele S7 is heavier than the floor head, no matter how much of an angle it swivels or twists, it must be a heck of a weight that the owner has to control. It was one of the less redeeming features I disliked about the Miele S7. Reiterates the old thought that uprights are heavier than cylinders in that respect - not exactly moving anything on. The trouble with Dyson's ball is that whilst it looks novel and whilst I'd agree that it feels easier to swivel to a wider angle, the ball gets in the way. Dyson needs to make the ball smaller and more agile regardless of whether the swivel/twist action is wider.

I have made my point about twisting/swiveling uprights and do not need to continue.  Now, about the Nimble.

The Nimble is very hard to twist, because it is so heavy, plus the way it is designed.  Twisting/swiveling uprights are not designed for persons with hand/wrist problems.  I can speak from firsthand experience, because someone ran into my car; resulting in a wrist problem.  Moving the Electrolux Nimble hurts my wrist. It requires alot of strength to twist the handle, which does not move the cleaning head that much.  It is better to just move the handle side to side, to move the cleaning head.   I have always recommended a loop-handled upright and one that does not require alot of hand gripping, when someone has wrist/hand problems.
CarmineD

Reply #48   Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm
Mike_W wrote:
I have made my point about twisting/swiveling uprights and do not need to continue.  Now, about the Nimble.

The Nimble is very hard to twist, because it is so heavy, plus the way it is designed.  Twisting/swiveling uprights are not designed for persons with hand/wrist problems.  I can speak from firsthand experience, because someone ran into my car; resulting in a wrist problem.  Moving the Electrolux Nimble hurts my wrist. It requires alot of strength to twist the handle, which does not move the cleaning head that much.  It is better to just move the handle side to side, to move the cleaning head.   I have always recommended a loop-handled upright and one that does not require alot of hand gripping, when someone has wrist/hand problems.

With a weak and injured wrist, any full size upright save the ORECK PILOT/SEBO FELIX, will give you problems using.  You're not the best user to opine on full size vacuums with swivel and twist features.  Quite the contary.  That would be the point to correctly and accurately make.  Anything else is opinion.  Not fact.  

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #49   Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
With a weak and injured wrist, any full size upright save the ORECK PILOT/SEBO FELIX, will give you problems using.  You're not the best user to opine on full size vacuums with swivel and twist features.  Quite the contary.  That would be the point to correctly and accurately make.  Anything else is opinion.  Not fact.  

Carmine D.

Oh Carmine,  I am one of the best users to talk about it.  It is quite simple actually.  Remember, I said wrist and not wrists.  God blessed me w/two arms and hands.  I can use the machine as persons with/without hand/wrist problems.

Keep trying Carmine.
CarmineD

Reply #50   Apr 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Mike_W wrote:
Oh Carmine,  I am one of the best users to talk about it.  It is quite simple actually.  Remember, I said wrist and not wrists.  God blessed me w/two arms and hands.  I can use the machine as persons with/without hand/wrist problems.

Keep trying Carmine.

You're ambidextrous too! 

The swivelling and twisting epsecially for a full size upright would strain your weakest body part wther it be hand wrist and/or arm.  In your case the wrist.  If your wrist is weak or injured on your preferred hand, even more so.  If not, and the other wrist, if you use for vacuuming, you haven't developed the skill and aptitude to use it as well as your preferred hand/wrist.  It's simple.  Even you can figure it out. 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #51   Apr 11, 2011 3:20 pm
Yes, Carmine

Even if I was not, in this case, you are wrong.  Remember, a few of you have said it is so easy to twist and swivel.
CarmineD

Reply #52   Apr 11, 2011 3:46 pm
Mike_W wrote:
Yes, Carmine

Even if I was not, in this case, you are wrong.  Remember, a few of you have said it is so easy to twist and swivel.

No, quite the contrary:  You're wrong.  I SAID I PREFER THE SWIVEL AND TWIST OVER THE ANCIENT DYSON BALL.  Now, seems I recall when dyson launced its ball model in 2005 YOU SAID it was styled after the old fashioned metal uprights of years ago.  Am I right?   Who wants an old fashioned looking vacuum that sits on a ball and costs $500-$600.  Except perhaps you.  Tho, from what you have said here you really don't.  Just arguing that the ball has a smaller radius to turn and easier for persons with bad wrists to use.  Now, those are both excellent reasons to buy a full sized upright rather than a lightweight. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #53   Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm
Mike_W wrote:

Interesting point - the Hoover Slalom also suffers from the same problem plus the fact that its so poorly made, it doesn't always lock up when you put the handle upwards and store away - or use the hose.

My mother is a professional pianist and has been a pianist for most of her life, aside from playing the church organ which she now feels is better suited for her. Why? She broke her hand in three places, had to give up playing piano when she was 45. She's now in her late 70's. She loves the Miele stick vac because it is so lightweight but it hurts her wrist when she turns it - another design where the motor is located at the top but yet is bottom heavy because of the design. She couldn't stand the Slalom and it also hurt her wrist. She liked the Sebo X1 because it adjusted automatically to the floor but it would take her ages to slowly do carpets compared to me whizzing around with the Felix. She likes the Felix a lot - finds it pain free when moving, even using the traditional handle. The Felix is also "top heavy" but the electronics support the need to induce a little self-mechanised movement - evident from the difference where you switch off the floor head and find that it just doesn't move as easily.

The best vacuum she "ever had" was the Oreck XL but the noise killed her senses - and I've often wondered if SEBO would engineer a similar handle - it certainly does ease wrist pain. Another model she loved was the Electrolux Ergorapido/Pronto because it was lightweight, had a swivel built in, yet the rubberised gripped handle was good enough for her to ease her pain. I'm considering buying the improved one - knowingly from our previous model - it would help her out as well (even though it does a minimal job) as me doing secondary cleaning up after her.

My mother however doesn't like cylinders bar the SEBO k3 with the similar Felix floor head - not for the fact that you have to pull the machine after you - but for the fact that despite lightweight tubing, turning a tube side to side is painful with a suction only floor head added or a heavier air driven turbo brush - unless it has a "proper" handle that doesn't either feel too blocky or forces you to lay your hand out - a problem that the standard "bent" handle of the Miele cylinders induces, alleviated somewhat better by the Deluxe ones fitted to higher end S5 models. Again with the SEBO power head fitted, there is less stress to her hands when its forever powering the need to push a lot in front of her.

Therefore, my question is - does the Nimble have an inducing self-mechanism of moving forward by its own - or not?
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #54   Apr 11, 2011 10:52 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Interesting point - the Hoover Slalom also suffers from the same problem plus the fact that its so poorly made, it doesn't always lock up when you put the handle upwards and store away - or use the hose.

My mother is a professional pianist and has been a pianist for most of her life, aside from playing the church organ which she now feels is better suited for her. Why? She broke her hand in three places, had to give up playing piano when she was 45. She's now in her late 70's. She loves the Miele stick vac because it is so lightweight but it hurts her wrist when she turns it - another design where the motor is located at the top but yet is bottom heavy because of the design. She couldn't stand the Slalom and it also hurt her wrist. She liked the Sebo X1 because it adjusted automatically to the floor but it would take her ages to slowly do carpets compared to me whizzing around with the Felix. She likes the Felix a lot - finds it pain free when moving, even using the traditional handle. The Felix is also "top heavy" but the electronics support the need to induce a little self-mechanised movement - evident from the difference where you switch off the floor head and find that it just doesn't move as easily.

The best vacuum she "ever had" was the Oreck XL but the noise killed her senses - and I've often wondered if SEBO would engineer a similar handle - it certainly does ease wrist pain. Another model she loved was the Electrolux Ergorapido/Pronto because it was lightweight, had a swivel built in, yet the rubberised gripped handle was good enough for her to ease her pain. I'm considering buying the improved one - knowingly from our previous model - it would help her out as well (even though it does a minimal job) as me doing secondary cleaning up after her.

My mother however doesn't like cylinders bar the SEBO k3 with the similar Felix floor head - not for the fact that you have to pull the machine after you - but for the fact that despite lightweight tubing, turning a tube side to side is painful with a suction only floor head added or a heavier air driven turbo brush - unless it has a "proper" handle that doesn't either feel too blocky or forces you to lay your hand out - a problem that the standard "bent" handle of the Miele cylinders induces, alleviated somewhat better by the Deluxe ones fitted to higher end S5 models. Again with the SEBO power head fitted, there is less stress to her hands when its forever powering the need to push a lot in front of her.

Therefore, my question is - does the Nimble have an inducing self-mechanism of moving forward by its own - or not?

I am not quite sure what you are asking, but the machine is not self propelled. The Nimble is heavy, but there is slight forward movement w/the help of the longer, aggressive brushroll bristles and human assist.  What I call the "handle-weight" is heavy and I believe this would be hard for a much older person to use, IMHO.  Even w/a nicely designed looped handle, the Nimble would be hard to use.  The user must turn the upper portion of the upright, using your wrist, to turn the cleaning head slightly.  It is much harder than SEBO.

I have always said that looped handle uprights are better to use.  I even said, eventhough I do not ORECK uprights are the best, David Oreck got it right w/the handle.  I find you do not have to grip the handle in order to push it forward.  With looped handles, very little gripping is involved.  I have tested this out with many a upright.  Having a handle, which must be gripped is more work.  I could take a Panasonic/Kenmore upright, with looped handle and pull back the machine just using my thumb and pointing finger.  Better looped handles are ones where the handle is bent enough, so that the palm can be used on the forward motion(like ORECK).  This requires little movement.  The only drawback is if there is arthritis in that area.

I do not know if I answered your question or not.
Replies: 45 - 54 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42