Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble
Original Message   Feb 15, 2011 4:23 pm
I actually played with one at Lowes the other day. Overall, I liked the design, but the foam pre-filter is crap compared to Dyson's recent pre-filter design (which is also featured on the Hoover Platinum Cyclonic and Panasonic/Kenmore canisters...but I suppose its washable HEPA filter makes up for it. http://smallappliances.electroluxusa.com/ Highlights: - 14 foot cleaning reach - LED headlight - "Ball-like" swivel action - Metal Soleplate - 5 year warranty - $299
This message was modified Feb 15, 2011 by iMacDaddy
Replies: 25 - 34 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The Dyson Ball finally has a competitor: New Electrolux Nimble
Reply #25   Mar 6, 2011 3:29 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well, Carmine you did provide the link after all. I was just shocked to see a couple of negatives. We'll see over time how the Nimble will do - and whether it ever reaches the UK.

Hello Vacmanuk:  The operative word is "couple."  Probably the most reviewed vacuum on line is the HOOVER TEMPO.  Retails for $50-$80.  I've bought/used both the TEMPO models, previously made in Mexico and now in China.  For all intents and purposes, both are identical.  Consumer Reports for years and years [probably 10 plus] rated the HOOVER TEMPO a BEST BUY and in the top 10 for highest rated uprights.  The most recent CR, dated March 2011, rated HOOVER TEMPO a 71 vice the highest rated upright which is the HOOVER WT Anniversary model scoring 73.  TEMPO was Number 4 behind KENMORE's $260 Intuition and MIELE's $550 S7 Twist.  But CR much to my chagrin, refused to rate TEMPO a BEST BUY.

About 98 percent rated TEMPO 4 or 5 stars out of 5 stars.   For the 2 plus percent that "hated" it, called it cheap, flimsy, in need of belts once/twice a year, etc, etc..  These are the same kind of people who would complain if the Queen of England knighted them, let them live free in the Palace, provided all their food and clothing, health needs and gave them a yearly stipend of $100,000 to live, use of a Bentley, but had to walk 2 minutes to the bathroom.     

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #26   Mar 6, 2011 3:32 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Look it up before embarrassing yourself.

You should follow your own advice.

Carmine D.

karenAM

Reply #27   Mar 15, 2011 10:33 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Lowe's has a video of the Electrolux Nimble on its web site.

http://www.lowes.com/pl_Electrolux_4294810320+4294965194_40_?cm_cr=Vacuums++Floor+Care-_-Web+Activity-_-Vacuums+CR+Popular+Brands-_-SC_Vacuums++Floor+Care_CenterRail_Area3-_-97617_3_Pop_Brands_Electrolux

Carmine D.

hi,

found this thread online and when i first found it a couple of days ago I could pull up this link to the vacuum on Lowe's. sounded great for what I needed but then the next day suddenly it is no longer available on Lowes or anywhere else for that matter. Anyone know what's up?

thanks

Karen

CarmineD

Reply #28   Mar 16, 2011 1:16 am
karenAM wrote:
hi,

found this thread online and when i first found it a couple of days ago I could pull up this link to the vacuum on Lowe's. sounded great for what I needed but then the next day suddenly it is no longer available on Lowes or anywhere else for that matter. Anyone know what's up?

thanks

Karen

Hi Karen:

I was at Lowe's yesterday and it was on display and stocked on the shelf.  However, true to form for Lowe's and stores like it when it comes to vacuums, it was missing the top of the dirt bin container [brand new], and when I plugged in there was no suction.  After several minutes of running, examining, and testing, with 2 Lowe's persons in close sight and earshot, and not receiving any request for assistance, I politely placed the plug protector back on, wrapped up the cord, and stored back away on the display.  Waiting a bit longer around the aisle and still no interest.   So I went forth and bought what I needed and left.  A lost $300 sale.

BTW, I did check out the Kobalt canister for $100 in another aisle [and talked about here recently].  It was 10 foot up in the air on a shelve display tied down and unable to be used and perused by customers.  Another lost sale. 

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #29   Mar 16, 2011 6:54 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Vacmanuk:  The operative word is "couple."  Probably the most reviewed vacuum on line is the HOOVER TEMPO.  Retails for $50-$80.  I've bought/used both the TEMPO models, previously made in Mexico and now in China.  For all intents and purposes, both are identical.  Consumer Reports for years and years [probably 10 plus] rated the HOOVER TEMPO a BEST BUY and in the top 10 for highest rated uprights.  The most recent CR, dated March 2011, rated HOOVER TEMPO a 71 vice the highest rated upright which is the HOOVER WT Anniversary model scoring 73.  TEMPO was Number 4 behind KENMORE's $260 Intuition and MIELE's $550 S7 Twist.  But CR much to my chagrin, refused to rate TEMPO a BEST BUY.

About 98 percent rated TEMPO 4 or 5 stars out of 5 stars.   For the 2 plus percent that "hated" it, called it cheap, flimsy, in need of belts once/twice a year, etc, etc..  These are the same kind of people who would complain if the Queen of England knighted them, let them live free in the Palace, provided all their food and clothing, health needs and gave them a yearly stipend of $100,000 to live, use of a Bentley, but had to walk 2 minutes to the bathroom.     

Carmine D.

Yes Carnine, but you're forgetting that the Lux Nimble has only been out on the market for a short time - compared to the Hoover Tempo. I didn't expect to see that many negative reviews on a product so new.
CarmineD

Reply #30   Mar 16, 2011 7:53 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Yes Carnine, but you're forgetting that the Lux Nimble has only been out on the market for a short time - compared to the Hoover Tempo. I didn't expect to see that many negative reviews on a product so new.

Hi vacmanuk:

Tempo has been here for a long time.  I'm always suspect about bad reviews right off the bat.  I opine an ulterior motive.  Why?  If the buyer doesn't like it, it usually goes back to the store/retailer in short order and the user never bothers to post a poor review.  If a poor review has been posted after the user has had a awhile say 4-6 months and longer, I put more credence in the comments.  That's not the case for Eureka-Lux Nimble.  Only a few weeks out of the gate.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Mar 27, 2011 9:58 pm
Didn't take BEST BUY stores very long to add the Electrolux Nimble to its shelves.  In a different color than the Lowe's edition but same MSRP.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Brands/Electrolux-Vacuums/pcmcat186200050003.c?id=pcmcat186200050003

Carmine D.

Trilobite

Reply #32   Mar 28, 2011 2:14 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Excuse for saying this, but: you have goofed - big time.

The model you linked to was for the Electrolux Versatility (EL8505), not the Nimble (EL8605).

The Verstility has 30-odd poor reviews.

The Nimble has 7 excellent reviews.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #33   Apr 5, 2011 4:00 pm
I wanted to  comment about the new Electrolux Nimble upright.  The vacuum cleaner does look very futuristic and modern, for a vacuum cleaner, with its flashy painted plastic and metal look.  There are some good features like a long cord and hose.  I liked that Electrolux put an aggressive brushroll on this machine.  The Nimble does a very good job of cleaning the carpet.

What I really want to  talk about is the main feature, its maneuverability.  To  refresh your memory,  I am not a "fan" of dyson vacuum cleaners.  They are just another vacuum brand, that would compete w/other brands.  That being said, I will move on.

iMacdaddy made the comment that "At first notice, this machine felt much more maneuverable than my old Dyson, and felt that it has a better turning radius as well."

CarmineD wrote:
Personally and professionally I prefer the swivel and twist features offered by ORECK [Pivot] MIELE [Twist] and now Electrolux Nimble over the archaic ball dyson has used since 2005 with DC15.  James Dyson is still thinking wheel barrows rather than vacuums.  In case he and his army of engineers doesn't realize it, there's a big difference.

Carmine D.

I have  to disagree w/both these statements.  Dyson's "ball" uprights can maneuver/turn much better and easier than other swivel/twist uprights.  This can be checked out for yourself and you do not even need to turn the machine on.  The dyson can turn or maneuver just by leaning the handle to the left or right.  As this is done, the weight of the vacuum is repositioned  on the ball.  This, in turn, turns the cleaning nozzle head.  There is no heavy hand twisting required.  With the Nimble, it is another story.  The user must twist his/her hand in order to move the direction of the cleaning nozzle head.  It is not going to be easy, especially if you have any hand/wrist problems.  I want to also say that when you direct the Nimble to move to the left of right, it does not turn that well.  You should notice  that the head turns only slightly.

Take a dyson ball and Electrolux Nimble and check it out for yourself.  You should find that the turning radius of the dyson is much better and easier than the Nimble. 

I would have to say that if the Miele did not have the swivel wheels in front, Miele and Electrolux would have the same design.  The front wheels of the Miele make turning the upright much easier.  You have to wonder how well the DD Swivel would do, if it also redesigned their upright w/the swiveling upper body.

I do not care for swiveling uprights.  I have found that I can vacuum the same w/o the feature.  It requires very little effort to move a vacuum cleaner around furniture.  Vacuum cleaner manufacturers had the right idea when they started using them on rug/floor attachments of suction-only machines back in the day.  That feature was very useful.
This message was modified Apr 5, 2011 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #34   Apr 5, 2011 4:44 pm
Mike_W wrote:
I wanted to  comment about the new Electrolux Nimble upright.  The vacuum cleaner does look very futuristic and modern, for a vacuum cleaner, with its flashy painted plastic and metal look.  There are some good features like a long cord and hose.  I liked that Electrolux put an aggressive brushroll on this machine.  The Nimble does a very good job of cleaning the carpet.

What I really want to  talk about is the main feature, its maneuverability.  To  refresh your memory,  I am not a "fan" of dyson vacuum cleaners.  They are just another vacuum brand, that would compete w/other brands.  That being said, I will move on.

iMacdaddy made the comment that "At first notice, this machine felt much more maneuverable than my old Dyson, and felt that it has a better turning radius as well."

I have  to disagree w/both these statements.  Dyson's "ball" uprights can maneuver/turn much better and easier than other swivel/twist uprights.  This can be checked out for yourself and you do not even need to turn the machine on.  The dyson can turn or maneuver just by leaning the handle to the left or right.  As this is done, the weight of the vacuum is repositioned  on the ball.  This, in turn, turns the cleaning nozzle head.  There is no heavy hand twisting required.  With the Nimble, it is another story.  The user must twist his/her hand in order to move the direction of the cleaning nozzle head.  It is not going to be easy, especially if you have any hand/wrist problems.  I want to also say that when you direct the Nimble to move to the left of right, it does not turn that well.  You should notice  that the head turns only slightly.

Take a dyson ball and Electrolux Nimble and check it out for yourself.  You should find that the turning radius of the dyson is much better and easier than the Nimble. 

I would have to say that if the Miele did not have the swivel wheels in front, Miele and Electrolux would have the same design.  The front wheels of the Miele make turning the upright much easier.  You have to wonder how well the DD Swivel would do, if it also redesigned their upright w/the swiveling upper body.

I do not care for swiveling uprights.  I have found that I can vacuum the same w/o the feature.  It requires very little effort to move a vacuum cleaner around furniture.  Vacuum cleaner manufacturers had the right idea when they started using them on rug/floor attachments of suction-only machines back in the day.  That feature was very useful.

Realizing that the uprights are used primarily on carpeting BUT I find the, as I said, that the dyson ball models are not as easy to use on barefloors and tiles as the swivel/twist of the ORECK, MIELE and NIMBLE.  As we see from dyson's evolution of the ball since the DC15, a change with the DC18, and then with the DC24/25 ball series.  Talk recently says another dyson ball is due out in short order.  And perhaps dyson will refine the ball mechanism further. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 25 - 34 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42