Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson's new Pet Groomer

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Dyson's new Pet Groomer
Original Message   Oct 1, 2010 11:44 am
Attchment. More info here http://www.dyson.co.jp/vacuums/groom/ Looks very interesting
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Dyson's new Pet Groomer
Reply #12   Nov 6, 2010 10:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Interestingly Vacmanuk, all the various videos demo'ing the new dyson pet groomer, where a dyson vacuum is in view, it's always a DC24.  Always.  Did you notice that in all the the 8-9 videos including dyson's web site videos?

Depending on the price, dyson would do well to market this pet grooming tool to the pet industry/other vacuum makers for more pervasive sales.  The tool is best suited for vacuums with suction controls IMHO to regulate power with the tool usage depending on the breed of dog and fur.

Carmine D.

Carmine, I really don't think it matters what model they are using it on. For other markets its probable that the DC25 is probably a new model. Dyson won't market it to other brands but I'm pretty sure all owners will probably try and buy the tool and try to make it work.
CarmineD

Reply #13   Nov 7, 2010 5:26 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Carmine, I really don't think it matters what model they are using it on. For other markets its probable that the DC25 is probably a new model. Dyson won't market it to other brands but I'm pretty sure all owners will probably try and buy the tool and try to make it work.

Vacmanuk, I think the vacuum/model matters with this tool and all pet tools.  Lower air watts of DC24 work better with this pet grooming tool than higher suction, IMHO.  This is the reason I say the tool works best with a vacuum that has suction controls.  Pet owners may buy and use this tool independent from owning a dyson vacuum but it depends on the price.  In the UK it's 40 british pounds.  Not sure what the price will be in the US market.  As SEVERUS points out here, a $5 pet tool from Wal*Mart serves the same purpose and probably just as well for his needs.  Pet stores/catalogues saturate the US market with pet grooming tools similar to the one Venson references.  Price includes adapters for button and/or force fit for $10-$20.  These work well depending on the vacuum used in concert with them.  Even vacuum stores in the USA sell such pet grooming tools where markets and clientele warrant.  I never did.  But if a vacuum customer specifically asked, I gifted or sold for a small price a Kirby tool, much like the one Venson references.  Work well when and if used regularly for the pet.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #14   Nov 7, 2010 7:37 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Vacmanuk, I think the vacuum/model matters with this tool and all pet tools.  Lower air watts of DC24 work better with this pet grooming tool than higher suction, IMHO.  This is the reason I say the tool works best with a vacuum that has suction controls.  Pet owners may buy and use this tool independent from owning a dyson vacuum but it depends on the price.  In the UK it's 40 british pounds.  Not sure what the price will be in the US market.  As SEVERUS points out here, a $5 pet tool from Wal*Mart serves the same purpose and probably just as well for his needs.  Pet stores/catalogues saturate the US market with pet grooming tools similar to the one Venson references.  Price includes adapters for button and/or force fit for $10-$20.  These work well depending on the vacuum used in concert with them.  Even vacuum stores in the USA sell such pet grooming tools where markets and clientele warrant.  I never did.  But if a vacuum customer specifically asked, I gifted or sold for a small price a Kirby tool, much like the one Venson references.  Work well when and if used regularly for the pet.

Carmine D.

But what about a vacuum that has an air outlet slider on the handle if it doesn't have variable suction? Surely you'll get a slower rate of suction then? We have pet tools in the UK too, the most effective being the wide Lint types with lint patches on either side like this:

Or

Now, with the first tool I find it incredibly tuff to remove collected fur and frustrating, especially when it constantly sticks on the lint felt pad and clogs the main dust channel.
The second one is better, but it also clogs because the pet hair twists around the plastic tufts on this round brush. Either way you're going to be cleaning off the pet hair collected. With the Dyson tool, regardless of suction control you dont have to effectively touch the fur or hair collected.

Thirdly, with most Dysons that have a 1200 to 1300 watt motor *by UK spec, the Pet Groomer doesn't need a strong suction control to suck up the fur. Granted stronger suction may indeed carry the fur faster through to the tube into the bin, thus not impeding suction.
Venson

Reply #15   Nov 7, 2010 9:33 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
But what about a vacuum that has an air outlet slider on the handle if it doesn't have variable suction? Surely you'll get a slower rate of suction then? We have pet tools in the UK too, the most effective being the wide Lint types with lint patches on either side like this:

Or

Now, with the first tool I find it incredibly tuff to remove collected fur and frustrating, especially when it constantly sticks on the lint felt pad and clogs the main dust channel.
The second one is better, but it also clogs because the pet hair twists around the plastic tufts on this round brush. Either way you're going to be cleaning off the pet hair collected. With the Dyson tool, regardless of suction control you dont have to effectively touch the fur or hair collected.

Thirdly, with most Dysons that have a 1200 to 1300 watt motor *by UK spec, the Pet Groomer doesn't need a strong suction control to suck up the fur. Granted stronger suction may indeed carry the fur faster through to the tube into the bin, thus not impeding suction.

Hi,

The round tool in the middle is nearly the same style tool as the Filter Queen piece I used on my cat 30 years ago. Yes, you did have to clean it as you went but it did a great job. Cleaning it only meant freeing any fur caught on the tools teeth so it could be caught in the machines air stream. As for suction level, it is a serious issue. It has to be low and the sound relatively quiet. I have not seen a dog or cat yet that will allow you to groom them in this fashion if they feel the least bit frightened. Are there actually no Dysons with speed or suction level adjustments? I noticed in the image of the pet owner using the Dyson tool on her dog that the vacuum was nowhere in sight.

Care is necessary as grooming is sort of quality time for owner and pet. There have been earlier spins on this idea and still around that use extension hoses to allow more distance between the animal and the vacuum.

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/petvac/https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/petvac/

http://www.1seenontvstore.com/pet-buddy.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20912

For all the effort, sometimes it's just as well to do it the old-fashioned way.

Venson
This message was modified Nov 7, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #16   Nov 8, 2010 7:19 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Hi,

The round tool in the middle is nearly the same style tool as the Filter Queen piece I used on my cat 30 years ago. Yes, you did have to clean it as you went but it did a great job. Cleaning it only meant freeing any fur caught on the tools teeth so it could be caught in the machines air stream. As for suction level, it is a serious issue. It has to be low and the sound relatively quiet. I have not seen a dog or cat yet that will allow you to groom them in this fashion if they feel the least bit frightened. Are there actually no Dysons with speed or suction level adjustments? I noticed in the image of the pet owner using the Dyson tool on her dog that the vacuum was nowhere in sight.

Care is necessary as grooming is sort of quality time for owner and pet. There have been earlier spins on this idea and still around that use extension hoses to allow more distance between the animal and the vacuum.

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/petvac/https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/petvac/

http://www.1seenontvstore.com/pet-buddy.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20912

For all the effort, sometimes it's just as well to do it the old-fashioned way.

Venson

Hi Vacmanuk:

I come in on the same side as Venson on pet grooming tools.  A lot are available.  All work well.  All are very inexpensive.  Dyson's latest for pets is nifty BUT like all things dyson is it worth the price? $89!  Will pet owners buy? WRT not getting up close and personal with pet hair using dyson's tool, as an advantage for the price, I disagree.  Pet owners get up close and personal with their furry friends all the time.  It's inevitable.  Even my dear wife who was allergic to the lab's dander and fur, suffered for 12 years to enjoy her furry friend.  And with no regrets.

I consider suction regulators, Vacmanuk, which is what you described, as a simplistic suction control.  I used a HOOVER Swingette [from the 70's] with 800 Watts and the crevice tool to groom/clean my English yellow lab which is a twin in appearance to the ones in the dyson videos.  Worked fine.  Better than all the others I tried and used.   After 12 years, you try all of them for an English yellow lab.  Most of the loose pet fur came off onto the crevice tool without any suction at all needed.  Just static electricity.  I did what Venson describes.  Undid the hose end from the crevice tool and vacuumed it off.  Since my lab was spooked by the noise of a DC30 in a video would run away from home when she heard the gawdawful ratcheting noise of a DC07, the relatively low noise level of the HOOVER swingette worked well.  I used paper bag inserts in the cloth. I could fill it up in a few days with fur and dander.  Low suction of the Swingette by today's standards worked well with the crevice tool.  The paper bag inside the cloth muffled the vacuum sound too.  Especially in the basement and/or garage where it's closed in.  Noise level is elavated by the tunnel effects of these areas.

Interestingly Dr. Foster and Dr. Smith, veterinarians and icons in the pet industry in the USA for 20 years, have and continue to promote and sell exclusively BISSELL vacuums, rug cleaners and solutions, and pet tool products for their pet owners in the USA.  One of the pet tools Venson posted form the Fr. Foster/Smith catalogue retails for $25.  About what I would call the high end price wise of a pet grooming tool for pet owners.  Beyond that price and I believe pet lovers lose interest.  Even avid 4 legged furry pet friend lovers.  One of the reasons I suggest that dyson market this new nifty tool to the pet grooming industry to increase sales. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #17   Nov 8, 2010 8:00 am
Hi guys,

I'm throwing in a link to a review -- with a punch line no less.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/11/what-its-like-to-vacuum-a-dog/

The picture of the dog alone is worth it.

Venson
This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #18   Nov 8, 2010 8:15 am
Venson wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm throwing in a link to a review -- with a punch line no less.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/11/what-its-like-to-vacuum-a-dog/

The picture of the dog alone is worth it.

Venson

Good review Venson with interesting comments too.  Thanks for posting.  $89.  Staggering!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #19   Nov 9, 2010 4:35 pm
It would not surprise me that Dyson will only market the tool for use on their vacuums unlike Morphy Richards' Spillmaster that isn't actually all that good! Comes with many adaptor attachments suitable to fit for all vacuums.
ManikBhai

Reply #20   Nov 12, 2010 9:37 am
It depends on what kind of dog you have, what condition it is in, and what you want done to it, (what kind of hair cut you want), how long it will take, if it is matted, or if it has fleas or ticks.

Reply #21   Dec 9, 2010 4:40 pm
Just received this email from dyson with the heading:  Dyson's latest invention.  Be the first to own it! 

I thought well here it is finally the contra rotating washer is back again, or better yet the waterless dish washer, or maybe even the most recent speculated plug-in kitchen appliances.  No, none of those.  At $90 a pop, I don't think so. 

Carmine D.

GroomerAnother way to keep your home clean. Vacuum your dog.

At Dyson, we develop new ways to solve everyday problems. Our latest invention tackles the problem of dog hair – before it’s shed around the home. As a Dyson owner, we wanted to let you know how you can sign up to be the first to buy one.

If you own a dog, or have friends or family who are dog owners, you’ll know the mess dog hair can make. The new Dyson groom tool removes loose hair from your dog’s coat, before it’s shed around the home. Captured hair is sucked straight into
your Dyson vacuum.

It won’t be on sale until early 2011, but you can see how it works on our website and sign up to be the first to hear when you can buy one.

See how it works
Another way to keep your home clean. Vacuum your dog.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42