Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson's new Pet Groomer

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Acerone

Dyson's new Pet Groomer
Original Message   Oct 1, 2010 11:44 am
Attchment. More info here http://www.dyson.co.jp/vacuums/groom/ Looks very interesting
Replies: 2 - 11 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson's new Pet Groomer
Reply #2   Oct 1, 2010 7:32 pm
Hello Acerone:

Dyson makes some fine and nifty looking and functioning tools but the problem is the exorbitant cost.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #3   Oct 1, 2010 9:43 pm
Severus wrote:
It's nice that the brush is self cleaning, but I couldn't tell if there's any way to replace the brush itself.   The utility of the brush kind of depends on the dog breed and how long the fur is.  I use a similar brush on my dog, but I just vacuum the hair off the tines.  The brush goes for around $5 at Walmart.  How much is the Dyson attachment? 

Looks dead cool but there must be a mechanism that pushes the hair off into the dust channel. I'm assuming this is why there is a double wall between that and the dust channel at the back?

Dyson Groom <br />ペットグルーミングツール

Ah! I have been answered by my own question. I dont know how I got onto the link but I just saw a user video of a golden Labrador being brushed. The central part of the brush on the base has a rectangular hole that opens up once the hair is retracted. That's how the fur gets sucked up! The spines are metal pickers just like those off a dog brush. All I need to do now is look for my 35mm to 32mm adaptor and then order this part!
This message was modified Oct 1, 2010 by vacmanuk
Hertz

Reply #4   Oct 10, 2010 4:45 pm
Wow, Dyson really makes some of the best designed tools. Ever. Realistic videos here: http://www.dyson.co.jp/vacuums/groom/#dgt_NoFit_ModSelect=dgt_NoFit_Cylinder
vacmanuk

Reply #5   Nov 5, 2010 12:52 pm
Finally the tool has hit the UK.

See YT video from vintagehoover:

In use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baq1P3kyFfM

Talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N-rpLqKhrU
CarmineD

Reply #6   Nov 5, 2010 2:13 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Finally the tool has hit the UK.

See YT video from vintagehoover:

In use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baq1P3kyFfM

Good video, thanks Vacmanuk.  If I'm correct the 4 legged furry friend is an English lab which sheds year around, more frequently and in amount in warmer climates.  Not sure the young lady is a dog owner and/or a lab owner, particularly English breed.  Why?  She would have demo'ed the tool on the lab's chest and undershoulders.  This area from my personal observation of labs, particularly English breed, has the longest fur and more likely to easily shed.  Had she done so, her tool demo would have been better, IMHO.  Also, I would have preferred to see the actual quantity of pet fur in the bin that is vacuumed off the lab with one, two, and three or more passes of the same area.  Again, particularly for the lab's under side for the shoulders and chest areas.  It's not about the design and function of the tool, but also the time required to do the best job.  Comparing a typical suction tool and vacuum with the dyson tool and vacuum would show which is actually best both for performance and time.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #7   Nov 5, 2010 6:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Good video, thanks Vacmanuk.  If I'm correct the 4 legged furry friend is an English lab which sheds year around, more frequently and in amount in warmer climates.  Not sure the young lady is a dog owner and/or a lab owner, particularly English breed.  Why?  She would have demo'ed the tool on the lab's chest and undershoulders.  This area from my personal observation of labs, particularly English breed, has the longest fur and more likely to easily shed.  Had she done so, her tool demo would have been better, IMHO.  Also, I would have preferred to see the actual quantity of pet fur in the bin that is vacuumed off the lab with one, two, and three or more passes of the same area.  Again, particularly for the lab's under side for the shoulders and chest areas.  It's not about the design and function of the tool, but also the time required to do the best job.  Comparing a typical suction tool and vacuum with the dyson tool and vacuum would show which is actually best both for performance and time.

Carmine D.

The links that I have given are from a press launch that is rather informal. Of course you can see that from the links I've provided. In one part of the video you can clearly see the way she is brushing the dog and the fur collected as it spins into the cyclone bin. Frankly I have no time for Dyson products unless it actually makes a lot of good sense - and in this respect = the dog groomer tool is a work of engineering simplicity. Quite why it's never been thought of before is a mystery. I've a feeling though that due to its button at the top for the hose connection that it won't have a friction fit design. However I'm prepared to try one out to see if it will fit on 32mm tubing regardless of the pip lock button.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Nov 6, 2010 7:31 am
vacmanuk wrote:
The links that I have given are from a press launch that is rather informal. Of course you can see that from the links I've provided. In one part of the video you can clearly see the way she is brushing the dog and the fur collected as it spins into the cyclone bin. Frankly I have no time for Dyson products unless it actually makes a lot of good sense - and in this respect = the dog groomer tool is a work of engineering simplicity. Quite why it's never been thought of before is a mystery. I've a feeling though that due to its button at the top for the hose connection that it won't have a friction fit design. However I'm prepared to try one out to see if it will fit on 32mm tubing regardless of the pip lock button.

Not a big demand, Vacmanuk.  Despite the growing number of pet owners in the USA, almost 80 million [not sure how many are lab owners, let alone English breed tho American labs(short haired) are very popular], I didn't know any owners who vacuumed their 4 legged furry friends, let alone daily as I did.  Despite all the various and sundry tools I used, the best was even simpler than dyson's: an old fashioned soft plastic hoover crevice tool.  Worked fine.  If I wanted to groom, I just lightly ran the tool over the dog's fur.  If I wanted to clean the dander and dry dead skin, I put the tool end right on the dog.  While fur is the biggest problem for pet owners and homes, the white powdery dander is the problem for the furry pets.  Causes itching and scratching.  The latter was the reason I vacuumed my English yellow lab daily.  She was also epileptic.  The various health remedies for dander and ticks had bad side effects for her.  They were triggers for her seisures.  Daily vacuuming was the best and cheapest solution. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 6, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #9   Nov 6, 2010 9:43 am
See more now at: http://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuums/groom/

The tool is available for use with most Dyson vacuums except the DC01 range. Tool has click button release for the more modern vacs in the Dyson range. However there would be ways around this as my old DC01 could use 32 mm Hoover tools with the use of an adaptor.
CarmineD

Reply #10   Nov 6, 2010 2:11 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
See more now at: http://www.dyson.co.uk/vacuums/groom/

The tool is available for use with most Dyson vacuums except the DC01 range. Tool has click button release for the more modern vacs in the Dyson range. However there would be ways around this as my old DC01 could use 32 mm Hoover tools with the use of an adaptor.

Interestingly Vacmanuk, all the various videos demo'ing the new dyson pet groomer, where a dyson vacuum is in view, it's always a DC24.  Always.  Did you notice that in all the the 8-9 videos including dyson's web site videos?

Depending on the price, dyson would do well to market this pet grooming tool to the pet industry/other vacuum makers for more pervasive sales.  The tool is best suited for vacuums with suction controls IMHO to regulate power with the tool usage depending on the breed of dog and fur.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 6, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #11   Nov 6, 2010 5:32 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Interestingly . . . The tool is best suited for vacuums with suction controls IMHO to regulate power with the tool usage depending on the breed of dog and fur.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I "vacuumed" both the and the dog I had. The essentials indeed are that the suction be low, just enough to suck up loosened fur, and that the machine is quiet. Otherwise, you'll find your pet freaks when you try.

I never went for anything elaborate. The Filter Queen I had a simple round tool with soft plastic teeth and my cat loved it. (Eureka actually had the same thing for a time that it promoted for pet grooming.) Later down the line, I'd give the dog a going over with the bare floor side of my Electrolux flip tool. It did the job well enough and he liked it so much that he flopped onto the floor waiting every time I turned the cleaner on. Both he and the cat appeared to like the feel of the air moving through their fur. Venson
Replies: 2 - 11 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42