Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Oreck site
Original Message   Aug 16, 2010 12:59 pm
Notice the absence of the Dutch Tech canisters? The presence of the Edge, which was supposed to have been an dealer exclusive? So much for integrity. Oreck dealers fared betetr when Dave was at the helm.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Oreck site
Reply #10   Aug 17, 2010 11:15 am
Perhaps Oreck couldn't get them as they were originally Philips canisters.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Aug 17, 2010 2:16 pm
This is the best pic/photo I could find of the ORECK Dutch Tech canister to post here.  This is the ORECK Dutch Tech 1400B which typically sells for $800.  1400 Watt motor. 10 year motor warranty.  3 year overall warranty.  17 pounds for the vacuum only.  With the tools included it's 25 pounds.  It's noted claim: Ultra quiet   "....it's so quiet it won't wake a sleeping baby."  There are 3 less expensive Dutch Tech models.  Two models are 1200: an A and B [1200 Watts].  One model with a power head and one without.  Priced at $500 and $700 repectively.  A 1400 A model also without power head is priced at $700. 

Consumer Reports gave it fair to middlin ratings.  Customers/users give it the same ratings as CR.  It was marketed as "European engineering: the equivalent of a Swiss watch."  Obviously geared toward the 50 million families in the USA with infant children/babies.  In CR's most recent ratings [March 2010] the ORECK DutchTech 1400B rated an overall numerical score of 65 in a field of 18 canisters which ranged from the lowest score of 57 to the highest of 73.  Tying with MIELE Plus S251 and closely matching SEBO C series and MIELE Callisto.  Besting both dyson canns.  There is no reliability rating for ORECK canns.  ORECK uprights receive a 9 score for reliability in a field of 12 brands ranging in scores from the lowest [best] of 3 to the highest [worse] of 13.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 17, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #12   Nov 25, 2010 8:43 am
ORECK joins the Thanksgiving Day sales frenzy.  It's safe to say, as Trebor posted, ORECK is no longer in the business of canisters with power nozzles.  Note its latest Ouest Canister for $199 is a straight suction only and nothing more expensive with a P/N.   Can't disagree that ORECK was a better company with Dave at the helm.  Sadly, nothing in life stays the same and we should remember best the good times.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by a moderator
CarmineD

Reply #13   Dec 25, 2010 7:06 am
ORECK doesn't take a holiday for Christmas.  It's always about business.

Carmine D.

Today Only! Get 20% off your entire order. Shop Now»
Oreck
Call 1-800-219-2044 to order anytime 24/7.
Get 20% off your entire order.
Hurry! Get great savings on our best-selling products! Get 20% off your entire order.
Share this great offer! Forward to a friend today.
*Savings reflected in cart. Offer not valid on Oreck XL Element™, Oreck Steam-It®, Oreck Edge™, or vacuum bag 8-packs. Cannot be combined with any other offer or applied to past purchases.

HARDSELL

Reply #14   Dec 25, 2010 6:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
ORECK doesn't take a holiday for Christmas.  It's always about business.

Carmine D.

Dyson took Hoover down and now they have Oreck working overtime trying to keep up.  It is just a matter of time.
CarmineD

Reply #15   Dec 25, 2010 10:18 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Dyson took Hoover down and now they have Oreck working overtime trying to keep up.  It is just a matter of time.

It's just a matter of time alright.  What vacuum do you use now and recommend to others?  A HOOVER lightweight bagged copied exactly after the ORECK.    I luv it! 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #16   Dec 26, 2010 7:24 am
CarmineD wrote:
It's just a matter of time alright.  What vacuum do you use now and recommend to others?  A HOOVER lightweight bagged copied exactly after the ORECK.    I luv it! 

Carmine D.

Hoover in name only.  Copied but not duplicated.  The Hoover actually cleans.

Remember when you recommended Hoover and claimed that they would be the demise of Dyson.  Dyson hasn't been sold. Hoover was.  You abandoned the Hoover ship after it sank and climbed in the Oreck life boat.  Now that raft is taking on water.

Unless you can walk on water you better be looking for another raft.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Dec 26, 2010 8:02 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Hoover in name only.  Copied but not duplicated.  The Hoover actually cleans.

Remember when you recommended Hoover and claimed that they would be the demise of Dyson.  Dyson hasn't been sold. Hoover was.  You abandoned the Hoover ship after it sank and climbed in the Oreck life boat.  Now that raft is taking on water.

Unless you can walk on water you better be looking for another raft.

HOOVER is the gold standard of rug cleaning.  Always was and still is.  The vacuum name in rug cleaning for almost 100 years.  Your own purchase of the HOOVER lightweighth affirms this.  ORECK is the standard bearer for lightweights.  Always was and still is.  The vacuum name in lightweights for almost 50 years.  Again you affirm this by trying ORECKs not just once but twice before settling with the HOOVER.  I like both brands and their models.  

Dyson makes a decent bagless FINALLY after scrubbing the gawdawful clutch and floating head nonsense [discontinued].  Not surprisng to me to see dyson prices FINALLY coming down to realistic amounts to compete in the big box store venues, its primary sales market in the USA.  Dyson made these recent price/product changes exactly for the reasons you said above:  To stay afloat and keep from sinking further in the industry.  Just as I said years ago they would have to do when you and others kow towed my words.  Better late than never.  Especially for a niche market player like dyson.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #18   Dec 26, 2010 9:38 am
CarmineD wrote:
HOOVER is the gold standard of rug cleaning.  Always was and still is.  The vacuum name in rug cleaning for almost 100 years.  Your own purchase of the HOOVER lightweighth affirms this.  ORECK is the standard bearer for lightweights.  Always was and still is.  The vacuum name in lightweights for almost 50 years.  Again you affirm this by trying ORECKs not just once but twice before settling with the HOOVER.  I like both brands and their models.  

Dyson makes a decent bagless FINALLY after scrubbing the gawdawful clutch and floating head nonsense [discontinued].  Not surprisng to me to see dyson prices FINALLY coming down to realistic amounts to compete in the big box store venues, its primary sales market in the USA.  Dyson made these recent price/product changes exactly for the reasons you said above:  To stay afloat and keep from sinking further in the industry.  Just as I said years ago they would have to do when you and others kow towed my words.  Better late than never.  Especially for a niche market player like dyson.

Carmine D.

I always liked Hoover untill about 10 or so years back.  Still always thought Electrolux and Rainbow were better cleaners.  Gold standard is a useless title.  My carpets look 90% as good as when new and have seen less Hoover than any brand.  No wear, no tear and deep clean.  Being a standard for a lightweight is also a title with no value with reference to cleaning ability.  Electric autos are a standard for saving gas, however they are of little value for travel.  Two Orecks and nothing positive to say. Speaks well of Oreck doesn't it?

I seriously doubt that competition impacted Dyson price cuts as much as other factors.  Poor economy #1.  Recouped costs on R&D.  Remember how you made fun of Dyson's # of engineers and bragged about Hoover's few.  Dyson was developing new products.  Hoover only developed new series names for their existing junk.  Who needs an engineer to develop a name change?  I do not recall saying that Dyson would never reduce pricing.  It is only a given after time in the market.  Remember a couple years ago when plasma TV's were so expensive.  Currently they are the least expensive on the market.

I do remember that the with the intro of each new Hoover series you claimed that it would be the demise of Dyson and I said no.  You and Hoover failed.  As I recall Hoover was desperately cutting prices in a good economy while Dyson was actually increasing.  Dyson thrived and Hoover failed.

Oreck has resorted to buying other brands is an attempt to get a vac with cleaning power.  Dyson still produces their own.

Get a raft Carmine.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Dec 26, 2010 2:36 pm
I agree with you that Electrolux [Aerus] and Rainbow are both brands with good vacuum products too that have stood the test of time just like HOOVER and ORECK .  

Having had to try ORECK twice, like you did, speaks more about you than ORECK.  You obviously aren't sure.  Buying, using and selling your dyson DC07 and not buying another dyson while boasting of the brand also speaks volumes.  Still not sure.  

On a good note Consumer Reports, the consumer magazine you like to take exception with, rates the HOOVER duo you bought and used as number ONE in the upright category.  I have to say NOT for $500, $400 or $300.  $250 is more like it.  About what all new dysons are probably worth in a good economy.

Dyson and its 500 engineers FINALLY followed my email advice to them in September 2006 and scrubbed the gawdawful clutch and discontinued the models using it.    Better late than never. 

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 10 - 19 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42