Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Digital Slim

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson Digital Slim
Original Message   Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm
Here's the details of a trademark that Dyson has filed for a to-be-launched project, the 'Digital Slim':-

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2552353

As usual, the trademark covers a multitude of product categories. Personally, I'd reckon the most likely candidate is a 'slim' upright vacuum, with a 'digital' motor. Dyson have used the 'slim' name before - on the DC18. The upright range has long been missing a product with digital motor. I would also be good if by slim, they mean as thin in profile as the DC03 - which could be hung on the wall and take up next to no space inside a storeage cupboard:-

The major downside was it's small, weedy motor. But if replaced with a similar model using a digital motor, it wouldn't have that same issue.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by M00seUK
Replies: 14 - 23 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Dyson Digital Slim
Reply #14   Jul 23, 2010 2:03 am
By the way, what happened with the "slim" Ball model that was on the market and also the mini Ball they were pushing? I don't think either went over well.  I saw the slim-jim thing in the stores for a time and then it suddenly disappeared. I thought at first it might be passed off as a stick vac, which it was for all intent and purpose, but the price tag didn't help the cause.

Sure of what they'll try to charge, I think Dyson would be better off introducing a digital motor in a full-size vacuum.  There's more advantage.  Shrink the motor and increase the dust capacity with space saved.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #15   Jul 23, 2010 7:00 am
Venson wrote:
By the way, what happened with the "slim" Ball model that was on the market and also the mini Ball they were pushing? I don't think either went over well.  I saw the slim-jim thing in the stores for a time and then it suddenly disappeared. I thought at first it might be passed off as a stick vac, which it was for all intent and purpose, but the price tag didn't help the cause.

Sure of what they'll try to charge, I think Dyson would be better off introducing a digital motor in a full-size vacuum.  There's more advantage.  Shrink the motor and increase the dust capacity with space saved.

Venson

Hi Venson:

The DDM, as currently designed and produced, doesn't provide the umph that the conventional brush/armature motors have.  That's the issue now for Sir James and his 500 engineers who are still at the drawing board on the DDM for full size vacuum applications.  They've mastered the full size price with the DC22 motorhead and DDM for $799 just not the full size performance and features.  It's the highest priced in the dyson line up.  I've not seen a review of it yet by the industry experts and authorities who track and report on such things.  Or missed it.  From the dyson site:

DC22 Motorhead

$799.99

Dyson DC22 Motorhead is a canister vacuum powered by the Dyson digital motor. 1/3 smaller than a full-size Dyson machine, but with no compromise on pick-up. Available at select retailers only.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 23, 2010 by CarmineD
Hertz

Reply #16   Jul 24, 2010 2:05 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

The DDM, as currently designed and produced, doesn't provide the umph that the conventional brush/armature motors have.  That's the issue now for Sir James and his 500 engineers who are still at the drawing board on the DDM for full size vacuum applications.  They've mastered the full size price with the DC22 motorhead and DDM for $799 just not the full size performance and features.  It's the highest priced in the dyson line up.  I've not seen a review of it yet by the industry experts and authorities who track and report on such things.  Or missed it.  From the dyson site:

DC22 Motorhead

$799.99

Dyson DC22 Motorhead is a canister vacuum powered by the Dyson digital motor. 1/3 smaller than a full-size Dyson machine, but with no compromise on pick-up. Available at select retailers only.

Carmine D.

Carmine, it offers MORE features and MORE performance - not less. You can variably adjust the suction power and the motor lets you know when the filter needs to be changed or if there is something wrong; also, *NO* carbon dust emissions (thus essentially a CARE-FREE (almost) HEPA filter), and the motor will lost a *LOOONG* time, unlike conventional motors *most, anyways*. Bias strikes again! :D
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #17   Jul 24, 2010 2:39 am
Hertz wrote:
Carmine, it offers MORE features and MORE performance - not less. You can variably adjust the suction power and the motor lets you know when the filter needs to be changed or if there is something wrong; also, *NO* carbon dust emissions (thus essentially a CARE-FREE (almost) HEPA filter), and the motor will lost a *LOOONG* time, unlike conventional motors *most, anyways*. Bias strikes again! :D

Time will tell if the motor will last a 'LOOOONG" time.    given the price, i hope it lasts a long time for the consumers' benefit. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #18   Jul 24, 2010 5:46 am
I never had any issues with my DC03, the only draw back I found was suction power was not very good. Other than that I found it to be OK, especially as it was slim over the DC01 at the time. We still have the DC03 with another family member using it. It still has the original filters when it was new, although I'm sure the pre motor filter needs replacing by now!! The only part that has broken is the 'struts' along the soleplate. Dyson should use the metal soleplate found on the DC15. It will be interesting to see what form the Dyson Digital Slim takes. There is an entry for the Dyson Digital Slim on wikipedia dubbed as the DC35 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dyson_products DC18
This message was modified Jul 24, 2010 by DC18
CarmineD

Reply #19   Jul 24, 2010 7:04 am
DC18 wrote:
I never had any issues with my DC03, the only draw back I found was suction power was not very good. Other than that I found it to be OK, especially as it was slim over the DC01 at the time. We still have the DC03 with another family member using it. It still has the original filters when it was new, although I'm sure the pre motor filter needs replacing by now!! The only part that has broken is the 'struts' along the soleplate. Dyson should use the metal soleplate found on the DC15. It will be interesting to see what form the Dyson Digital Slim takes. There is an entry for this on wikipedia dubbed as the DC35 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dyson_products DC18

Hello DC18:

Nice to see you and hear from you again here.  What if any of the dysons now/to come have your interest?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Jul 24, 2010 7:07 am
Hertz wrote:

If assessing the future based on the past is bias, count me so.  I don't plunk down $799 based on some wild poster who buys 12 junk dysons and says they are the best ever made.  Have to show me with proof not words.

Carmine D.

DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #21   Jul 24, 2010 7:21 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DC18:

Nice to see you and hear from you again here.  What if any of the dysons now/to come have your interest?

Carmine D.

Hello Carmine D Thanks, nice to be back. Been interesting reading on here! I'm interested in this Dyson Digital Slim to see what this may be! Although I'm still using a DC15 Ball I do quite like the current DC25 Ball thats out. THe new DC33 looks good too! DC18
M00seUK

Reply #22   Jul 24, 2010 7:28 am
DC18 wrote:
I never had any issues with my DC03, the only draw back I found was suction power was not very good. Other than that I found it to be OK, especially as it was slim over the DC01 at the time. We still have the DC03 with another family member using it. It still has the original filters when it was new, although I'm sure the pre motor filter needs replacing by now!! The only part that has broken is the 'struts' along the soleplate. Dyson should use the metal soleplate found on the DC15. It will be interesting to see what form the Dyson Digital Slim takes. There is an entry for this on wikipedia dubbed as the DC35 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dyson_products DC18

As referenced on the Wikipedia entry, the DC33 upright was announced this week; an updated version of the DC27/DC28 and weighs slightly less (-0.5kg). Full spec on Dyson UK web site.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Jul 24, 2010 1:36 pm
DC18 wrote:
Hello Carmine D Thanks, nice to be back. Been interesting reading on here! I'm interested in this Dyson Digital Slim to see what this may be! Although I'm still using a DC15 Ball I do quite like the current DC25 Ball thats out. THe new DC33 looks good too! DC18

Hello DC18:

I'm not a fan of the dyson ball models.  If I had to choose, it would be the DC25 BUT a word of caution if you are buying.  Within a year of launch of these models, there were problems with the main motor wiring harness in the DC25 models.  They broke in two.  Motor goes dead.  Retailers/customers were reporting the models were not running within months of purchase.  One authorized dyson dealer here stopped selling the model even at customer requests until he could comfirm dyson had a reliable fix.  I supect by now it does but I haven't verified with him [yet].  He keeps pestering me to work for him exclusively on dyson repairs and refurbs and I keep turning him down.  BTW, BEST BUY insiders told me the DC15 was the worse seller of all dysons it carried except for the DC11.  The DC15 ball MSRP fiasco didn't help.  Dropped the official MSRP by $100 within months of launch. 

WRT a DDM slim, that has my interest too.  But like all innovative products [iPhone 4], comes with risks, not the least of which is the usual exorbitant dyson price.  It appears the DC33 on the dyson GB site does not have DDM.  Appears to be a budget dyson model based on a hybrid of existing models in the line up.

Carmine D.

PS: Thanks for the Wikipedia dyson site.  Very interesting.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 14 - 23 of 56Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42