Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Digital Slim

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson Digital Slim
Original Message   Jul 19, 2010 5:58 pm
Here's the details of a trademark that Dyson has filed for a to-be-launched project, the 'Digital Slim':-

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2552353

As usual, the trademark covers a multitude of product categories. Personally, I'd reckon the most likely candidate is a 'slim' upright vacuum, with a 'digital' motor. Dyson have used the 'slim' name before - on the DC18. The upright range has long been missing a product with digital motor. I would also be good if by slim, they mean as thin in profile as the DC03 - which could be hung on the wall and take up next to no space inside a storeage cupboard:-

The major downside was it's small, weedy motor. But if replaced with a similar model using a digital motor, it wouldn't have that same issue.

This message was modified Jul 19, 2010 by M00seUK
Replies: 1 - 10 of 56NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson Digital Slim
Reply #1   Jul 19, 2010 9:23 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Here's the details of a trademark that Dyson has filed for a to-be-launched project, the 'Digital Slim':-

As usual, the trademark covers a multitude of product categories. Personally, I'd reckon the most likely candidate is a 'slim' upright vacuum, with a 'digital' motor. Dyson have used the 'slim' name before - on the DC18. The upright range has long been missing a product with digital motor. I would also be good if by slim, they mean as thin in profile as the DC03 - which could be hung on the wall and take up next to no space inside a storeage cupboard:-

The major downside was it's small, weedy motor. But if replaced with a similar model using a digital motor, it wouldn't have that same issue.

Background info on DC03 which was a UK product that never made it to the USA:

Dyson DC03 Reviews

Dyson DC03
2.8 stars
Average rating for this product is: 2.8 out of 5

From 29 ratings and 29 reviews

Read reviews: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews679.html

Thumb up 52% of users recommend this product

Doesn't appear from these individual reviews and summary of their overall ratings to have been a success.  Quite the contrary.  Rather fair to middlin at not quite a 60 percent consumer approval rating.  At least based on this group analyses.  From reading the reviews, in summary I note the salient points as the DC03 is [according to posters] "ludicrously expensive"; "prone to breakage of wand/handle," and unlikely to last more than "3.5 years."   

Not impressive in video either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0BoYrbJoc4

Maybe the DDM if ever fitted to dyson's DC03 will serve to revive it.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 20, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #2   Jul 20, 2010 8:00 am
M00seUK wrote:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2552353

That would not be my first thought.  More likely a stick/broom.  Possibly even cordless if dyson can improve battery operation/time.  Price will be the factor despite dyson's penchant for overpricing products.  Sticks/brooms like handhelds are not very expensive in today's vacuum market.  Overpricing based on unknown/unseen benefits of DDM may turn alot of potential buyers off to dyson products that use the DDM.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #3   Jul 20, 2010 9:25 am
And what market is dyson trying to target with this machine?

Is the ddm reliable?

how can dyson justify the extra cost over a machine thats half the price and does the same cleaning?

I just dont get their philosophy in this economic enviroment.

MOLE

vacmanuk

Reply #4   Jul 20, 2010 10:02 am
mole wrote:

Is the ddm reliable?

how can dyson justify the extra cost over a machine thats half the price and does the same cleaning?

MOLE

Oh god no, not the DC03 again! I had three of them and each time it was either the motor or the filtration system that let it down. This was in the days when I was open to British engineering and design. I loved the DC03's weight and often thought it would have made a good rival to Sebo's Felix or a smaller compact upright.

Dyson will continue to price their products as per their design format. Replacing motors with the DDM isn't such a bad policy and up until now Dyson have always commanded a premium price. I for one would welcome a budget bargain Dyson, particularly in light of Vax's Mach series other than the "Air" model which is lighter than Dyson's DC25, Dyson must know that there's a market for a cheaper Dyson given the success of Vax's Mach series.
M00seUK

Reply #5   Jul 20, 2010 10:43 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh god no, not the DC03 again! I had three of them and each time it was either the motor or the filtration system that let it down. This was in the days when I was open to British engineering and design. I loved the DC03's weight and often thought it would have made a good rival to Sebo's Felix or a smaller compact upright.

Dyson will continue to price their products as per their design format. Replacing motors with the DDM isn't such a bad policy and up until now Dyson have always commanded a premium price. I for one would welcome a budget bargain Dyson, particularly in light of Vax's Mach series other than the "Air" model which is lighter than Dyson's DC25, Dyson must know that there's a market for a cheaper Dyson given the success of Vax's Mach series.

Hi Vacmanuk, interesting comments. When I first brought a Dyson cleaner, I was offered the choice of the DC03 or DC04. I went with the DC04 as it was more traditional looking (for a Dyson) and the clear bin was bigger. I don't have any direct experience with the DC03, but it certainly sounds like many people suffered problems, back in the day. The review Carmine quotes from mentions problems with wand / handle - this is the same part used on the DC04 and I too had this issue - although it was quickly replaced by Dyson for a new, improved, part.

I can't personally see Dyson going down the 'budget bargain' pricing, as least on the current watch. 'More affordable' - yes, but price themselves too low and they'd risk diluting their status as an aspirational, high-end brand.

The DDM has typically been reported as being more noisey that a standard motor. If this product *does* use a digital motor (seems likely), I wonder it it would be the full size (as used in the AirBlade) or the smaller version (as used in the handhelds).
M00seUK

Reply #6   Jul 20, 2010 10:47 am
CarmineD wrote:
That would not be my first thought.  More likely a stick/broom.  Possibly even cordless if dyson can improve battery operation/time.  Price will be the factor despite dyson's penchant for overpricing products.  Sticks/brooms like handhelds are not very expensive in today's vacuum market.  Overpricing based on unknown/unseen benefits of DDM may turn alot of potential buyers off to dyson products that use the DDM.

Carmine D.

You're right - it could even have a format that's more like a stick vac and / or cordless - they certainly have the knowledge to do this, if there's a good case. Using the DDM would increase the performance and decrease the effective weight. There needs to be a good reason for the product, if it's undoubtly priced above the competition.
CarmineD

Reply #7   Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Hi Vacmanuk, interesting comments. When I first brought a Dyson cleaner, I was offered the choice of the DC03 or DC04. I went with the DC04 as it was more traditional looking (for a Dyson) and the clear bin was bigger. I don't have any direct experience with the DC03, but it certainly sounds like many people suffered problems, back in the day. The review Carmine quotes from mentions problems with wand / handle - this is the same part used on the DC04 and I too had this issue - although it was quickly replaced by Dyson for a new, improved, part.

I can't personally see Dyson going down the 'budget bargain' pricing, as least on the current watch. 'More affordable' - yes, but price themselves too low and they'd risk diluting their status as an aspirational, high-end brand.

The DDM has typically been reported as being more noisey that a standard motor. If this product *does* use a digital motor (seems likely), I wonder it it would be the full size (as used in the AirBlade) or the smaller version (as used in the handhelds).

Of the 29 DC03 reviews, 8 [eight] specifically say the handle/wand broke.  6 [six] reviews [seperate from the 8] call into the question the product integrity, feel of plasticity, durability, cracks in plastic and question the longevity of DC03 useful life.  In a group of 29 reviews there is no doubt bias imputed by the users and buyers.  So I included ONE review NOT included in either of these 2 other categories which is from a dyson call center worker.  [Interestingly the dyson worker says dyson DC03 is more reliable than DC07].  One might argue that the worker has an ax to grind.  That's possible.  Nonetheless, the dyson worker's review and at least 14 others are all in sync. I've quoted the dyson worker's review verbatim here

Carmine D.

Overall Rating

2 stars

• Value for money
    2 stars

I work for dyson in the call center. We get thousands of calls a week. The main fault with the Dyson dc03 vacuum cleaner is that the clutches may go and the handle can snap. Also there is a big problem with the power cables failing (although dyson would never admit this). All in all more reliable than the dco7 but not as reliable as the dc04.

I posted this link above and included here again.  All 29 reviews for DC03 are here:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews679.html

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #8   Jul 20, 2010 2:36 pm
M00seUK wrote:

Dyson will not fail if it provides cheaper pricing. They are not a company in my mind who provide premium built products; they have always prided themselves in engineering and design. Their products could be a lot better made if "premium" was really at the top of their requirements.
CarmineD

Reply #9   Jul 20, 2010 6:27 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Dyson will not fail if it provides cheaper pricing. They are not a company in my mind who provide premium built products; they have always prided themselves in engineering and design. Their products could be a lot better made if "premium" was really at the top of their requirements.

I second your view vacmanuk.  All companies, regardless of their products, understand they have to reduce prices from MSRP and offer sales/incentives to be competitive and maintain/increase sales year over year.  Similarly, they have to offer a range of products and prices to meet the budgets and requirements of all users/buyers.  To the extent that their budget/more affordable models are product worthy performers for the prices, they build future brand loyalty for their higher priced models and even other same brand products.  Using this broad pricing approach to brand/product sales grows the brand name, increases the company/brand customer base, and conceivably maintains and even increases sales over time.  Allowing the company to be competitive and profitable over the long haul.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #10   Jul 21, 2010 7:24 am
mole wrote:

Is the ddm reliable?

MOLE

HI MOLE:

It's all about marketing.  Sir James has successfully altered [some] peoples' thinking when it comes to vacuum purchases.  He's made people buy vacuums at premium prices to products based on emotions rather than practicality.  He took a page from Steve Jobs and apple.  How's that working out for Jobs, apple and the iPhone4? 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 56NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42