Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
mole

THERE AT IT AGAIN
Original Message   Jul 10, 2010 8:48 am
Will someone with any influence in the industry.Please start a petition to regulate the LYING,CHEATING,DECIEVING.Con Men

Had 3 customers with in the past week wanting their Kirbys fixed for free because the sales person said it has a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty,on all parts and labor.

Please stop giving LEGIT dealers and shops a bad reputation.The public seems to lump all of us in the same catagory[And were not]

My advice is to boycott kirby and their way of doing business.Ditto for AERUS, Filterqueen, and rainbow.

Please stop this NONSENSE NOW..................

Regards

MOLE

.RANT OVER

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: THERE AT IT AGAIN
Reply #6   Jul 10, 2010 1:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello my friends:

Do you think this/these are legitimate currently employed KIRBY employees?  Or rogue former Kirby seller[s] with new/used inventory/trades taking advantage of customers in bad times with myths and lies?  Sadly it seems in bad economic times, like these, grandiose sales story tellers are more pervasive and customers more gullible. 

Carmine D.

Carmine, personally I can't say but my gut feeling is that they're legit. Kirby and its distributors are continually looking for new recruits:  http://www.kirby.com/Portals/0/kirby_opportunity.html

Other than an out and out career theif,  I can't imagine whom fraudulent sale of a vacuum would serve well.  Too much work.  Pushing vacuums, pardon the pun, with the intention of making a big return would take longer than someone looking to make a fast buck is prepared to wait I'd think.

If I wanted another Kirby, first off I'd never buy a new one.  There hasn't been that much of a change to make even entertaining the thought worth it.  AND besides, they're all over eBay.  That's where I got my G5.

Most I've seen appear quite serviceable and in comparison to new, quite affordable.  The one new Kirby I did buy was a Tradition back in the late 70s or very early80's.  An independent vac shop in Flushing got it for me, attachments and all, and charged me dealer price or very close to it -- $350.00.  Cool machine but not cool enough to have paid what he DTD folks would have asked for.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #7   Jul 11, 2010 7:13 am
I would recommend another approach which can used along with the ones you suggested.  The local news for the national TV channels.  Most have consumer investigations' reporters who investigate peoples' concerns and claims and follow up and report on the TV news.  Works well to get the word out, expose the cheats, warn the consumers and put an end to it.  Just takes a call by the offended consumer, or 3 in this case, and some time to sit down and answer the reporter's questions.  Plus, the people can see themselves on TV for their stories.  Win-win.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #8   Jul 12, 2010 11:33 am
Mole,

I do believe I have found the problem and hence a solution.

it appears from all the Kirbys that I have ever been around that they only have a bumper on the front of the machine and none on the rear.  Hence the Bumper 2 Bumper warranty falls short as the waranty is falling out the back of the machine.

All we have to do is everyone write Kirby and ask them to install a rear bumper.  Then when the consumer is backing into something with their machine they will have time to READ the warranty supplied with the machine.  The spoken word giveth, and the written word takes it away. 

Now I have seen some online sellers, not only for Kirby, state that they warrant the machine for X amount of time.  This is the seller's warranty and not the manufacturer.  In this case the buyer should get their warranty in writing and ask the seller to honor said warranty.  This is alot like an extended warranty with your car, you bought it here, you fix it here.

Another confusion people have especially with Kirby is the Lifetime agreement to rebuild.  This is not stressed to the buyer enough that it is an agreement to rebuild for a set price not a warranty.  Some sales people have been known to say it is a warranty to make the sale.  This is dishonest, but how are they going to enforce it, and when you have an in-home sale, it will come down to word against word and written warranty that negates all.

In the end it seems like if you want a warm feeling with you purchase, you will have to have a Ford Pinto.  (30 year old joke, I still love it)

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #9   Jul 12, 2010 3:21 pm
The last thing you want to do is tell the customer he/she is stupid or has been had.  I'm assuming that you are not associated with the Kirby company (i.e. authorized warranty center).  If so, it is counter productive to argue, because it makes you the bad guy - and you have no idea what was promised in the sales pitch.  I would simply say that you don't sell new Kirby's and since you are not associated with the Kirby company, you are not familiar with what they might have been promised in the sales pitch.   In addition, if you cannot get reimbursed for warranty work through Kirby.  I would suggest that they contact Kirby first to see if they can get the work done under warranty. All that you can do is provide an estimate for what the repair will cost from your shop.  Don't make excuses for Kirby or the salesperson.  Let Kirby deal with it.  As long as you are honest with the salesperson, there's a good chance that they'll come back to you later.

If you are an authorized Kirby repair shop, it's a little tougher.   You can clarify what repair work you are authorized to provide.   The customer should be expected to provide a copy of the written warranty and a receipt.  If they have a written warranty for a longer time period, that might give you something to work with in negotiating with Kirby. 

No reasonable consumer should expect an independent to do free work for a company that doesn't compensate him/her.  

As for petititions, I would sign one to outlaw door to door sales. 

This message was modified Jul 12, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Trebor

Reply #10   Jul 12, 2010 6:58 pm
I am astonished that no one, especially no attorney as seen the way to sink the Kirby boat for good.

Simply search all the databases of every municiplaity for any and all complaints about Kirby over the last 20 years.

So when one complaint makes the local six o clock news, it can be supported with "There have been x many thousand complaints and/or allegations of fraud and and/or misconduct  filed against distributors of Kirby products over the last x years. (The figures supplied are my own for purposes of example and in no way reflect any research on my part.)  Having made that personal disclaimer, think about the impact of that statement hammered by the national news media daily for six months. It would be true, the research would give the totals,, and it is not the Kirby company, it is the distributors, under various names (anything but Kirby.)  Kirby could do nothing but watch the ship go down in flames.
budmattingly

Reply #11   Jul 12, 2010 9:25 pm
I have never had this problem with Kirby. If I want a Kirby, I try to find a distributor that is fairly large in my area. I go in and ask for the manager or service manager, either one will be able to sell you a Kirby. I tell them I have a Kirby and am looking to get a new model. They ask what I paid for my Kirby and I honestly tell them. Usually around $900.00. This is just for the Machine, attachments and shampooer. If they come fairly close they will get a deal, if not I tell them I will think about it and that usually brings them around. They will not let you buy one in the store, but bring you a brand new in a box to your house. I do tell them if it is not brand new and not demoed, I will not buy it when they bring it. I do check it out to make sure and then write them a check or use a credit card. This way I get the factory lifetime rebuild and a reasonable price. They do not have to do any work other than the paper work and I am a happy customer.

I do this when I buy a Rainbow as well. I truly do not get high pressured, since they know I came in interested to begin with. One thing, I don't go in unless I am ready to do business. If you get the service man, this also gets you faster service if you should need it.

I have had Kirby people come door to door, but I just tell them I have a Kirby and what model it is. They say thanks and go away.

At one time, I knew a small distributor, who actually let me tag along on some demo's. At the time I was thinking of selling part time after my regular job. His moto was to go in and see if he could generate some interest, if not he did the free shampoo and left. His reasoning was you are wasting your time if there is negativity right from the get go. I saw this first hand. Some people just wanted the free room shampooed and wanted you to get out asap.

Bud

Venson

Reply #12   Jul 12, 2010 10:07 pm
budmattingly wrote:
I have never had this problem with Kirby. If I want a Kirby, I try to find a distributor that is fairly large in my area. I go in and ask for the manager or service manager, either one will be able to sell you a Kirby. I tell them I have a Kirby and am looking to get a new model. They ask what I paid for my Kirby and I honestly tell them. Usually around $900.00. This is just for the Machine, attachments and shampooer. If they come fairly close they will get a deal, if not I tell them I will think about it and that usually brings them around. They will not let you buy one in the store, but bring you a brand new in a box to your house. I do tell them if it is not brand new and not demoed, I will not buy it when they bring it. I do check it out to make sure and then write them a check or use a credit card. This way I get the factory lifetime rebuild and a reasonable price. They do not have to do any work other than the paper work and I am a happy customer.

I do this when I buy a Rainbow as well. I truly do not get high pressured, since they know I came in interested to begin with. One thing, I don't go in unless I am ready to do business. If you get the service man, this also gets you faster service if you should need it.

I have had Kirby people come door to door, but I just tell them I have a Kirby and what model it is. They say thanks and go away.

At one time, I knew a small distributor, who actually let me tag along on some demo's. At the time I was thinking of selling part time after my regular job. His moto was to go in and see if he could generate some interest, if not he did the free shampoo and left. His reasoning was you are wasting your time if there is negativity right from the get go. I saw this first hand. Some people just wanted the free room shampooed and wanted you to get out asap.

Bud

Hi,

I like you're style but there is a major difference. You know what you are buying AND you know what a fair price for it is.  Thus you get resspect and no shennanegins because they know that you kow what they know..  If the buying puublic in general was the same, vacuum sales would be a completely different ball game.

Venso

Venson

Reply #13   Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am
While we're on the topic, if anyone shows up at your door claiming to be a salesperson of anything, even if they're carrying a vacuum under each arm have them present identification.  Don't feel bad about turning away anyone who makes you uncomfortable and if they are overly persistent -- call the police.

Venson

procare

Reply #14   Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am
Severus,

Door to door sales is a way of life that is one of the oldest professions. Farmers do it, all businesses that are dependent on business coming in on a regular basis does it. This country is based on the door to door sales efforts of salespeople.To ban all door to door sales would destroy our economy. A solicitor I am not, a salesman I am.

I sell door to door and have found it keeps me fed as well as the people that I sell the product they make. I am licensed in every county and city I work. The fees do not come from the company but me. If the companies that their sales reps came to my door didn't have their permit to sell in my area I would turn them in and turn them away.

Procare

Walley52

Reply #15   Dec 4, 2014 1:51 am
People really need to do a little research.  It states on the Kirby web site that the warranty is for 3 years.  It also states it in the manual.  To me it is the classic line of " If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't".
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42