Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC33 Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trilobite

Dyson DC33 Upright
Original Message   Jul 3, 2010 8:50 pm
Replies: 5 - 14 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Trilobite

Re: Dyson DC33 Upright
Reply #5   Jul 4, 2010 3:39 pm
I'm very well thankyou.

To tell you the truth, the only difference that I can see is that the handgrip on the wand has lost a little bulge.
Probably Dyson's attempt at shifting old stock.

Still no sign of Core Separator in our uprights, and no sign of the Digital motor in our cylinders (or uprights for that matter).

Not very inspiring, is it?

vacmanuk

Reply #6   Jul 5, 2010 10:15 pm
Trilobite wrote:
I'm very well thankyou.

To tell you the truth, the only difference that I can see is that the handgrip on the wand has lost a little bulge.
Probably Dyson's attempt at shifting old stock.

Still no sign of Core Separator in our uprights, and no sign of the Digital motor in our cylinders (or uprights for that matter).

Not very inspiring, is it?

IM still holding out for the robotic Dyson, Dyson himself previewed quite a few years ago. Still haven't seen much of it let alone seen it on the cards..
M00seUK

Reply #7   Jul 6, 2010 6:05 am
vacmanuk wrote:
IM still holding out for the robotic Dyson, Dyson himself previewed quite a few years ago. Still haven't seen much of it let alone seen it on the cards..

The most recent company line this was a couple of years ago, as explained by JD on the video linked on here:-
http://www.dyson.co.uk/insidedyson/default.asp#dc06

There was a newspaper article at the time of the Dyson Fan launch a few weeks ago, which suggested that Dyson had confirmed that a robot vacuum clearer would be lauched by them soon, but it was only one source and might have been mis-reported. The smaller digital motor, refined cyclone design and the advances in battery technology suggests it's more viable for them to enter this market with a 'proper' robotic vacuum cleaner. But quite when that'll be, remains to be seen.

vacmanuk

Reply #8   Jul 6, 2010 7:31 am
Thanks for that.  I recall seeing it on British terrestial TV in a news report. Often wondered what happened to it and its good to see Dyson considered it.
Hertz

Reply #9   Jul 6, 2010 6:00 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Clutch is a mistake that dyson just won't let go off and get over and move on.  It's a terrible feature IMHO.  The cross breed of models is probably to use up old stock/parts on hand in conjunction with Venson's premise:  To make a retailer exclusive dyson model as part of a deal between dyson and the retailer.  Good way to generate new sales, use up old unusable inventory in the process give the appearance of a brand new model by giving a new number. 

Carmine D.

The clutch is a great future when it works, and for European carpets, it works great supposedly, which is WHY they keep using it. Dyson is a company that wouldn't use an inferior design that breaks easily - costing them money too. American carpets were just too thick for the assembly and thus they now use a two-motor system - one for brush one for the suction.
CarmineD

Reply #10   Jul 6, 2010 6:57 pm
Hertz wrote:
The clutch is a great future when it works, and for European carpets, it works great supposedly, which is WHY they keep using it. Dyson is a company that wouldn't use an inferior design that breaks easily - costing them money too. American carpets were just too thick for the assembly and thus they now use a two-motor system - one for brush one for the suction.

I agree.  Trouble is that it's totally ineffective on some US carpets, usually the more expensive higher pile carpets, due to the floating nozzle head which bogs the brushbar down in the carpet.  Result: The brushbar stops and the gawdawful ratcheting noise is enough to scare/upset all the pets and humans in the house not to mention its inability to vacuum the carpet.  The clutch repair is costly at $90 to $135 depending on the parts replaced.  Belt replacements are not a do-it-yourself item as most belt replacements are for other brands.  Belt replacements are equally costly and time consuming compared to the rest of the industry brands and models.  The clutch appeared on dyson's DC07 here in the USA which has been discontinued.  For quite a few years now, in fact.  It still appears on dyson's DC14 which is also on the path to discontinuation being sold on clearance/discount by all US retailers who still have in stock and on hand.  The DC15, now extinct too never used the clutch.  Neither do the DC17, 18, 24, 25 and 28.  Not sure about the 27 and 33.  Dyson had the sense to abandon clutch usage in most all subsequent upright models.  A testament to its shortcomings in the USA.  Scrubbing it was a good move but it took him a long time to realize what most others knew long before he did.  It was a poor design feature for some American rugs and users, usually the more expensive and higher pile carpets used in up scale homes. 

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #11   Jul 7, 2010 8:15 am
CarmineD wrote:
I agree.  Trouble is that it's totally ineffective on some US carpets, usually the more expensive higher pile carpets, due to the floating nozzle head which bogs the brushbar down in the carpet.  Result: The brushbar stops and the gawdawful ratcheting noise is enough to scare/upset all the pets and humans in the house not to mention its inability to vacuum the carpet.  The clutch repair is costly at $90 to $135 depending on the parts replaced.  Belt replacements are not a do-it-yourself item as most belt replacements are for other brands.  Belt replacements are equally costly and time consuming compared to the rest of the industry brands and models.  The clutch appeared on dyson's DC07 here in the USA which has been discontinued.  For quite a few years now, in fact.  It still appears on dyson's DC14 which is also on the path to discontinuation being sold on clearance/discount by all US retailers who still have in stock and on hand.  The DC15, now extinct too never used the clutch.  Neither do the DC17, 18, 24, 25 and 28.  Not sure about the 27 and 33.  Dyson had the sense to abandon clutch usage in most all subsequent upright models.  A testament to its shortcomings in the USA.  Scrubbing it was a good move but it took him a long time to realize what most others knew long before he did.  It was a poor design feature for some American rugs and users, usually the more expensive and higher pile carpets used in up scale homes. 

Carmine D.

Right, obviously more R&D on American rugs would have been substantially beneficial, but he finally did make a high-quality dual motor system which, IMHO, makes his uprights some awesome machines! They're well made; durable plastics (better than any you'll find at Best Bu/Target, etc. besides some Electrolux's), Good motors (usually Panasonics I believe), high quality filtration (rated better than a Riccar and surprisingly a Sebo, which is hard to believe, however, like with any high and low end brand, there will be some models that have a few design flaws http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119). Either way, I say Dyson now makes a respectably high quality machine that is worthy of parting money with.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Jul 7, 2010 8:42 am
Hertz wrote:
Right, obviously more R&D on American rugs would have been substantially beneficial, but he finally did make a high-quality dual motor system which, IMHO, makes his uprights some awesome machines! They're well made; durable plastics (better than any you'll find at Best Bu/Target, etc. besides some Electrolux's), Good motors (usually Panasonics I believe), high quality filtration (rated better than a Riccar and surprisingly a Sebo, which is hard to believe, however, like with any high and low end brand, there will be some models that have a few design flaws http://www.mieleusa.com/products/benefits/filtration.asp?nav=30&snav=24&tnav=26&oT=272&benefit=119). Either way, I say Dyson now makes a respectably high quality machine that is worthy of parting money with.

Your opinion and you are entitled to it right or wrong. 

Carmine D.

Hertz

Reply #13   Jul 8, 2010 10:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Your opinion and you are entitled to it right or wrong. 

Carmine D.

Well they obviously are quality air purifiers, at least compared to a Riccar or Simplicity, and they clean the carpet damn well, AND, if maintained, least at least a good five + years (I've read longer, though, too). That's what I would classify as a quality machine.
CarmineD

Reply #14   Jul 9, 2010 1:57 am
Hertz wrote:
Well they obviously are quality air purifiers, at least compared to a Riccar or Simplicity, and they clean the carpet damn well, AND, if maintained, least at least a good five + years (I've read longer, though, too). That's what I would classify as a quality machine.

The issue is the price and whether worth the money.  I sprang $250 for a DC07 pink which was the max I'd spend.  I was not impressive even for that price.  The clutch and floating head were problematic on my carpets.  The only vacuum to date that has failed to do the job and the most expensive of all I used/purchased.

Carmine D. 

Replies: 5 - 14 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42