Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Anybody ever heard of "Morphy Richards" vacuums?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Anybody ever heard of "Morphy Richards" vacuums?
Original Message   Jul 3, 2010 10:24 pm
Evidently they're UK only, but they seem to make some good priced quality machines. They offer between 2-3 year warranties, and their flagship model - the most expensive cyclonic-like canister- has a wheel system like a Miele and has some really ingenious innovations to the cyclonic RUG NOZZEL. http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Product=71080 They also made a neat your-vacuum-powered wet/dry attachment: http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx?Category=NC9&Article=NFC_04 What's the quality like on these machines? Evidently one person thinks their flagship model beats their Dyson in performance, and says it's well built next to a Dyson - which says a good amount. Any thoughts?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 19NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Anybody ever heard of "Morphy Richards" vacuums?
Reply #1   Jul 4, 2010 11:09 am
Sorry to burst your bubble. They are UK only but they are available in Europe and probably in the U.S under the EIO tag and also I"ve seen the MR products in the U.S under a different brand but it will come to me...

MR are to say the least, a crap brand. Their vacuums come bottom of the pile in terms of quality and ease of cleaning. They were once wholly British but now goods are made in China and are spread globally reaching many countries offering budget vacuum cleaners that were once held in esteem by old British brand, Goblin which MR took over a couple of years ago. Cyclonic filtration is the old type, mesh filter/paper pleated cone mix.
They did make a "neat" wet dry attachment. I have it and its okay but not the best; clears up water but there's no rubber squeegee on it, so it doesn't dry floors and my video of it is currently on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDykfeQpFqQ
Hertz

Reply #2   Jul 4, 2010 9:47 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble. They are UK only but they are available in Europe and probably in the U.S under the EIO tag and also I"ve seen the MR products in the U.S under a different brand but it will come to me...

MR are to say the least, a crap brand. Their vacuums come bottom of the pile in terms of quality and ease of cleaning. They were once wholly British but now goods are made in China and are spread globally reaching many countries offering budget vacuum cleaners that were once held in esteem by old British brand, Goblin which MR took over a couple of years ago. Cyclonic filtration is the old type, mesh filter/paper pleated cone mix.
They did make a "neat" wet dry attachment. I have it and its okay but not the best; clears up water but there's no rubber squeegee on it, so it doesn't dry floors and my video of it is currently on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDykfeQpFqQ

Thanks vacmanuk for the reply. That's a shame; I HATE it when companies like this produce crap; it's insulting and annoying to have a market like vacuum cleaners flooded w/ crap. However, their newest model looks decent? Two year warranty, and some even have a three year warranty. For the price, they can't be that bad, are they? I mean, they seem to be better than all the Dirt Devils, Hoovers, and Bissells. Would you say so?
Venson

Reply #3   Jul 5, 2010 8:04 am
There's always the issue of choice and, individual to individual, many choices have to be made by way of what is affordable and realistically useful to desired purpose.  That in mind, many consumers merely regard a vacuum as machine to suck up stuff you dont to look at with and as long as they do that -- suck up stuff -- users are happy.  Many consumers still adhere to the same line of thinking I heard years ago, "What do I need a vacuum for.  I don't own a rug."  Cheap vacuums these days, due to low price, may sway that manner of thought currently.

On the other hand, no matter how much they may spend, there are also many people for whom a better-made vacuum is just a waste as they won't maintain them.  Manufacturers looking for steady cash flow love them I'm sure.

As long as there is economic inequality -- a thing that will always be with us -- there will be a market for "crap" goods.  We're not all living the same lives.  Be it "cheap", "crap", or "schlock", the terms cover not the fanciest or most utilitarian but the easily affordable.  Many independent vacuum cleaner stores are making a large part of their income from the sales of so-called disposable vacuums (vacuums that last a couple of years or so and that buyers don't suffer sticker shock from when time comes to replace them). 

Some of us will be going to Bloomingdale's and others to Wal-Mart.  There'll also be the guy who can easily afford a BMW and the other fellow whose best chance is a Chevrolet and, after him, the man who takes the bus.  That's called working with what you've got -- a thing becoming an art of great use to many these days.

The only way to get crap off the shelves is for the public to stop buying it.  They're not about to.  Buy what you like and can afford and if you can't always get the thing you'd like to have  -- don't feel bad.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #4   Jul 5, 2010 9:02 am
Venson wrote:
There's always the issue of choice and, individual to individual, many choices have to be made by way of what is affordable and realistically useful to desired purpose.  That in mind, many consumers merely regard a vacuum as machine to suck up stuff you dont to look at with and as long as they do that -- suck up stuff -- users are happy.  Many consumers still adhere to the same line of thinking I heard years ago, "What do I need a vacuum for.  I don't own a rug."  Cheap vacuums these days, due to low price, may sway that manner of thought currently.

On the other hand, no matter how much they may spend, there are also many people for whom a better-made vacuum is just a waste as they won't maintain them.  Manufacturers looking for steady cash flow love them I'm sure.

As long as there is economic inequality -- a thing that will always be with us -- there will be a market for "crap" goods.  We're not all living the same lives.  Be it "cheap", "crap", or "schlock", the terms cover not the fanciest or most utilitarian but the easily affordable.  Many independent vacuum cleaner stores are making a large part of their income from the sales of so-called disposable vacuums (vacuums that last a couple of years or so and that buyers don't suffer sticker shock from when time comes to replace them). 

Some of us will be going to Bloomingdale's and others to Wal-Mart.  There'll also be the guy who can easily afford a BMW and the other fellow whose best chance is a Chevrolet and, after him, the man who takes the bus.  That's called working with what you've got -- a thing becoming an art of great use to many these days.

The only way to get crap off the shelves is for the public to stop buying it.  They're not about to.  Buy what you like and can afford and if you can't always get the thing you'd like to have  -- don't feel bad.

Venson

Hello Venson:

Insightful observations, thank you.  I highlighted 2 statementts in your post to pose my own observation not just for vacuums but vehicles and I'm sure other consumer products too.  The market in consumer products like vacuums [as a general rule] tends to emulate the best of the products in the industry.  Not the best and most expensive products falling in value to the worse.  [Of course there are exceptions which are a problem but I won't deal with the exception here]. 

With cars: In 2005, BMW, known for its fine autos, added a 4 year 40,000 miles with free maintenance at no cost to buyer [presumably] on all new vehicles sold.  A feature BMW still employs.  Lo and behold all the US car makers now have added a maintenance free no additional cost feature on their luxury branded line of vehicles.  Includes free liquids, filters, brakes, wipers, etc.  A good thing for the value minded car consumer regardless of budget.

With vacuums: In August 2005, dyson added its 5 year limited warranty and scrubbed its traditional 2 year limited warranty [except on handhelds].  Other vacuum manufacturers soon followed dyson with their own warranty of equal or better terms.  The less expensive vacuums with their features have gotten better through peer/competition pressure of the most expensive products/features of the industry makers.  The "crap" is IMO getting a dosage/injection of cream.  Which makes them [the crap] more desirable and popular for sale.  It behooves the brand makers to sell quality budget products in order to build brand loyalty among consumers for its higher priced products.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 5, 2010 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #5   Jul 5, 2010 3:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
With vacuums: In August 2005, dyson added its 5 year limited warranty and scrubbed its traditional 2 year limited warranty [except on handhelds].  Other vacuum manufacturers soon followed dyson with their own warranty of equal or better terms.  The less expensive vacuums with their features have gotten better through peer/competition pressure of the most expensive products/features of the industry makers.  The "crap" is IMO getting a dosage/injection of cream.  Which makes them [the crap] more desirable and popular for sale.  It behooves the brand makers to sell quality budget products in order to build brand loyalty among consumers for its higher priced products.

Also to say that it's unlikely that Dyson would have been one of the first to lead with a 5 year waranty, if it wasn't for the fact that they had a bad rep. (deserved or not) in the early days for product reliablity. Up until then, many retailers (at least in the UK) would have been more than happy to sell you an (often poor value) warranty as an add-on sale. Again, competition with the big D over the years can only benefit the consumer in the long run.
Hertz

Reply #6   Jul 5, 2010 9:14 pm
Venson wrote:

Venson

Very well said. MUCH appreciated insight and arguably factual conjectures. Have you ever been in the retail or repair business? What's your favorite vacuum out of curiosity. ?
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Jul 5, 2010 9:56 pm
MR vacs were good pre-war and after the war. But they went downhill in the 1990s. The ONLY vacuum that they seem to make well is a German made model that MR just won't take off the market and it is bagged. It also appears under the EIO branding in various forms. If I was to think about a brand that is comparable to Morphy Richards, then I'd say Dirt Devil when they were first starting out. MR vacs are humble, cheap offerings that aren't particularly well made except their motors are highly efficient and longer lasting.  I've used quite a few MR vacs as a student in dormitories throughout my life and although they're okay, the bags and filters are hard to find. Here's a collection of the German models and MR's uprights which you may recognize in the U.S

http://www.bestvac.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/70066-hero-300x219.jpghttp://p.gzhls.at/358024.jpghttp://www.envirogadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Morphy-Richards-Ecolectric-Vacuum-Cleaner.jpgMorphy Richards 73352 Upright

Im pretty sure that Euro Shark have had some of these models/of the cyclonic uprights.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Jul 6, 2010 7:09 am
Several big box retailers debutted a new range of Dirt Devil straight suction canns somewhat similar to the MR pictured.  These are not yet on the Dirt Devil web site.  They come in a variety of standard colors for household decor.  Retail for $70.

Carmine D.

9878816 Angle Large

Clean your floors with this lightweight canister vacuum that features a 10-amp motor and straight-suction cleaning. The 11" cleaning path width allows you to clean a large area of flooring with each pass.

What's Included

• Dirt Devil Tattoo Canister Vacuum
  • Extendable wand, crevice tool, dusting brush
  • Owner's manual

Product Features

• From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores.
  • 10 amps of power
    To thoroughly clean your floors.
  • Filtration
    Ensures a healthier home environment.
  • 11" cleaning path width
    Lets you cover a wide range of flooring with every pass.
  • 20' cord
    Lets you clean a large area before changing outlets.
  • Lightweight design
    Make the vacuum easy to transport from room to room.
  • Extension wand
    Helps you clean hard-to-reach places.Dirt Devil - Tattoo Canister Vacuum - Red 
  • 10 amps of power
  • Filtration
  • 20' cord
  • Lightweight design
  • Extension wand
  • 10 amps of power
  • Filtration
  • 20' cord
  • Lightweight design
  • Extension wand
This message was modified Jul 6, 2010 by CarmineD
vacmanuk

Reply #9   Jul 6, 2010 7:28 am
http://blogs.dogtime.com/system/tiny_mce_photos/0003/6280/Kmart_shark_vacuum_medium.jpghttp://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/9e/0/AAAAAvEY7bgAAAAAAJ4FWQ.jpghttp://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/mo/morphy-richards-73300.gif

Here are two Shark uprights for example. The first one is a TTi/Dirt Devil we had in the U.K as the Vax Widetrack. Then there's the Shark bagged upright vacuum which is the same as the Morphy Richards bagged vacuum.
I had two of these models, "73300" in 1400 and 1500 watt variations. Never again! Both models suffered from breaking parts, the wheels kept coming off and the height dials would often snap off. MR were so scathed about this vacuum that they went ahead and replaced the floor head on later models to a flatter design with better wheels at the back.

Carmine - MR are not TTI owned - not yet - so whatever models they are bringing out in terms of canister design, I doubt they will match the TTI designs. Shark appear to be taking models from a host of other European brands not just Morphy Richards.

CarmineD

Reply #10   Jul 6, 2010 8:00 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Here are two Shark uprights for example. The first one is a TTi/Dirt Devil we had in the U.K as the Vax Widetrack. Then there's the Shark bagged upright vacuum which is the same as the Morphy Richards bagged vacuum.
I had two of these models, "73300" in 1400 and 1500 watt variations. Never again! Both models suffered from breaking parts, the wheels kept coming off and the height dials would often snap off. MR were so scathed about this vacuum that they went ahead and replaced the floor head on later models to a flatter design with better wheels at the back.

Carmine - MR are not TTI owned - not yet - so whatever models they are bringing out in terms of canister design, I doubt they will match the TTI designs. Shark appear to be taking models from a host of other European brands not just Morphy Richards.

But is MR in the UK subcontracting production of some of its vacuum models to the TTI Chinese run plant?  That's the question I have vacmanuk.  Not just for MR but other vacuum makers too. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 19NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42