Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Anybody ever heard of "Morphy Richards" vacuums?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Anybody ever heard of "Morphy Richards" vacuums?
Original Message   Jul 3, 2010 10:24 pm
Evidently they're UK only, but they seem to make some good priced quality machines. They offer between 2-3 year warranties, and their flagship model - the most expensive cyclonic-like canister- has a wheel system like a Miele and has some really ingenious innovations to the cyclonic RUG NOZZEL. http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Product=71080 They also made a neat your-vacuum-powered wet/dry attachment: http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/NewsArticle.aspx?Category=NC9&Article=NFC_04 What's the quality like on these machines? Evidently one person thinks their flagship model beats their Dyson in performance, and says it's well built next to a Dyson - which says a good amount. Any thoughts?
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Anybody ever heard of "Morphy Richards" vacuums?
Reply #10   Jul 6, 2010 8:00 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Here are two Shark uprights for example. The first one is a TTi/Dirt Devil we had in the U.K as the Vax Widetrack. Then there's the Shark bagged upright vacuum which is the same as the Morphy Richards bagged vacuum.
I had two of these models, "73300" in 1400 and 1500 watt variations. Never again! Both models suffered from breaking parts, the wheels kept coming off and the height dials would often snap off. MR were so scathed about this vacuum that they went ahead and replaced the floor head on later models to a flatter design with better wheels at the back.

Carmine - MR are not TTI owned - not yet - so whatever models they are bringing out in terms of canister design, I doubt they will match the TTI designs. Shark appear to be taking models from a host of other European brands not just Morphy Richards.

But is MR in the UK subcontracting production of some of its vacuum models to the TTI Chinese run plant?  That's the question I have vacmanuk.  Not just for MR but other vacuum makers too. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #11   Jul 6, 2010 10:18 am
Hertz wrote:
Very well said. MUCH appreciated insight and arguably factual conjectures. Have you ever been in the retail or repair business? What's your favorite vacuum out of curiosity. ?

To be perfectly honest I'm probably more interested in the evolution of vacuum cleaners than anything else. For good or ill, it's certainly been interesting to follow the road from the late 50s up to now.  Consumer and manufacturing trends and what may lead them them have also been equally as interesting to observe and consider.

I've always wanted to sell vacuums because I have a good understanding of they work and how they are best used but never got the opportunity.  That's not a negative but possibly a plus point for me because, along with a great deal of independent research, I learned a lot from the customer's side of the sales counter.  I see myself as pro consumer.

I'm curious about everything and can't wholeheartedly cite a single favorite vacuum.  I like any vacuum that is well thought out in regard to employment of air flow and suction concentration without power over-use, that's durable and that is convenient and easy to use.  I deliberately left out "enjoyable to use" since the beauty in the art of hosework is strictly in the eye of the person who's got to do it.

Venson

Hertz

Reply #12   Jul 6, 2010 5:48 pm
Or is going to do it ;) But yes, there is an "art" to housework, for sure. I REALLY enjoy vacuuming, but generally only with well made, well thought-out and designed vacuums similar to what you said. Do you have any Miele's, Sebo's, or Dyson's?
vacmanuk

Reply #13   Jul 6, 2010 9:10 pm
Hertz I think you have a problem with perhaps wondering what "well made," is. Is it, in your opinion according to pricing?

I only ask because one of my favourite vacuums to use was the old British made Vax canister. It is made with lightweight plastic but the design of it, as a tub vac with a 3 in 1 shampoo/wash function as well as dry dirt and wet suction procedure was one of the best innovations in the UK market in 1980. For all that it was made of lightweight plastic, it was a heavy old thing but quiet and it remained in our family for 23 years - without anything having to be replaced other than the filters on board and the dust bag. To me, that was one of the "well made," vacuums.
Hertz

Reply #14   Jul 7, 2010 4:16 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Hertz I think you have a problem with perhaps wondering what "well made," is. Is it, in your opinion according to pricing?

I only ask because one of my favourite vacuums to use was the old British made Vax canister. It is made with lightweight plastic but the design of it, as a tub vac with a 3 in 1 shampoo/wash function as well as dry dirt and wet suction procedure was one of the best innovations in the UK market in 1980. For all that it was made of lightweight plastic, it was a heavy old thing but quiet and it remained in our family for 23 years - without anything having to be replaced other than the filters on board and the dust bag. To me, that was one of the "well made," vacuums.

The caliber of the plastic doesn't have so much to do with it as the LONGEVITY if used in accordance to the intended use, how long the motor lasts, and the quality design. A well MADE vacuum to me is build quality - though again, if the plastic LASTED for 23 years and didn't crack under normal use, then obviously it's a quality material, though of course design can go a long ways. So I guess the two factors are kind of related, however as a WHOLE I would say if the machine lasted - motor, housing, hinges, wheels, most components for a good 10 or more years, I would say it's a well made vacuum.
vacmanuk

Reply #15   Jul 7, 2010 7:45 am
Hertz wrote:
The caliber of the plastic doesn't have so much to do with it as the LONGEVITY if used in accordance to the intended use, how long the motor lasts, and the quality design. A well MADE vacuum to me is build quality - though again, if the plastic LASTED for 23 years and didn't crack under normal use, then obviously it's a quality material, though of course design can go a long ways. So I guess the two factors are kind of related, however as a WHOLE I would say if the machine lasted - motor, housing, hinges, wheels, most components for a good 10 or more years, I would say it's a well made vacuum.

So what models do you own that are 10 years old or more?
Hertz

Reply #16   Jul 7, 2010 8:01 am
vacmanuk wrote:
So what models do you own that are 10 years old or more?

A Kirby Heritage II, Kirby G4 (rebuilt by me and a buddy of mine for NINE hours straight! Bought it in good working condition w/ nearly all attachments for TWENTY FIVE dollars! From a young 14 year old (I believe was the age) kid who happens to be passionate about such products, as well) Electrolux Silverado rebuilt by me and me alone, and a FilterQueen D 31X. GORGEOUS products all of them, but alas you just can't beat the A.) Suction power, B.) Design, C.) Filtration, and D.) Useability of these newer *HIGH* end brands like Miele and Sebo. What about you my man? YOUR TURN! Haha.
vacmanuk

Reply #17   Jul 7, 2010 9:02 am
Hertz wrote:
A Kirby Heritage II, Kirby G4 (rebuilt by me and a buddy of mine for NINE hours straight! Bought it in good working condition w/ nearly all attachments for TWENTY FIVE dollars! From a young 14 year old (I believe was the age) kid who happens to be passionate about such products, as well) Electrolux Silverado rebuilt by me and me alone, and a FilterQueen D 31X. GORGEOUS products all of them, but alas you just can't beat the A.) Suction power, B.) Design, C.) Filtration, and D.) Useability of these newer *HIGH* end brands like Miele and Sebo. What about you my man? YOUR TURN! Haha.

Put it this way, Hertz I own a few more products than you, namely Sebo's X1 Automatic at 15 years old. However this isn't about who has the most, this is about going down what you constitute as "well built," and from your 10 year old models, none of them are Electrolux, Miele or Sebo. So how can you jump to conclusions?

10 year old models I own (or more in some cases)
  1. Hoover Junior 1346 1981 year
  2. Hoover Junior U1104 1983.
  3. Hoover Junior Deluxe 1981
  4. Hoover Senior 652 1979
  5. Vax canister 1987
  6. Sebo X1 Automatic 1996
Models less than 10 years old:

1. Sebo K1 Komfort 2005
  2. Miele S4210 2006
  3. Miele S571 2006
  4. Vax Quicklite V-045/ same as U.S Dirt Devil Dynamite 2006
  5. Sebo Dart 2007
  6. Sebo K3 Premium 2008
  7. Sebo K3 Vulcano 2009
  8. Sebo Felix 2007
  9. Sebo X1.1 2010 (second hand bought in 2003, still runs on original drive belt)
  10. Sebo X4 2010 (second hand bought in 2007, still runs on original drive belt)
  11. Miele S381 2010
  12. Vax Mach Air 2010

This message was modified Jul 7, 2010 by vacmanuk
Hertz

Reply #18   Jul 8, 2010 10:45 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Put it this way, Hertz I own a few more products than you, namely Sebo's X1 Automatic at 15 years old. However this isn't about who has the most, this is about going down what you constitute as "well built," and from your 10 year old models, none of them are Electrolux, Miele or Sebo. So how can you jump to conclusions?

10 year old models I own (or more in some cases)
  1. Hoover Junior 1346 1981 year
  2. Hoover Junior U1104 1983.
  3. Hoover Junior Deluxe 1981
  4. Hoover Senior 652 1979
  5. Vax canister 1987
  6. Sebo X1 Automatic 1996
Models less than 10 years old:

1. Sebo K1 Komfort 2005
  2. Miele S4210 2006
  3. Miele S571 2006
  4. Vax Quicklite V-045/ same as U.S Dirt Devil Dynamite 2006
  5. Sebo Dart 2007
  6. Sebo K3 Premium 2008
  7. Sebo K3 Vulcano 2009
  8. Sebo Felix 2007
  9. Sebo X1.1 2010 (second hand bought in 2003, still runs on original drive belt)
  10. Sebo X4 2010 (second hand bought in 2007, still runs on original drive belt)
  11. Miele S381 2010
  12. Vax Mach Air 2010

MIELE'S ARE MADE TO LAST TWENTY YEARS. Quality. Sebo says on their website 10-15, QUALITY. So I'm not jumping to conclusions so much as knowing that the manufacturers DO build machines of such quality.
vacmanuk

Reply #19   Jul 9, 2010 3:07 am
Hertz wrote:
MIELE'S ARE MADE TO LAST TWENTY YEARS. Quality. Sebo says on their website 10-15, QUALITY. So I'm not jumping to conclusions so much as knowing that the manufacturers DO build machines of such quality.

Ah, so you're believing what the manufacturers say then?! Sorry but I feel in this case unless you own such a model for a lengthy amount of time you'll have little cause to support any vacuum cleaner bearing Miele or Sebo's name. Sorry Hertz, but you're dealing with a realistic buyer AND owner here!
This message was modified Jul 9, 2010 by vacmanuk
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42