Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson in the news
Original Message   May 29, 2010 10:01 am
Dyson has this week released details of their end of year 2009 performance and generally paints a positive picture. Highlights include:-

• Despite the recession, global sales for the company increased 23% to 770m GBP
  • Operating profits more than doubled from 90m to 190m GBP
  • The Dyson Air Multiplier is a top seller in Australia; within 6 weeks, representing 64% of the market for desk fans, by value.
  • In the UK and US markets, the updated 'ball' range represents more than half of the Dyson cleaners sold.
  • In the UK, the company has a total market share for vacuum cleaners, by value, of 40%.
  • Dyson is the market leader for vacuum cleaner sales (by value) in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, France, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and New Zealand.

Looking ahead, the company talks about new product launches scheduled towards the end of 2010 - a fair number of which (my speculation) are likely to continue the trend of offering a completive advantage by using digital motor technology. Ironically, a technology originally developed for use in their full-size vacuums, while all current models continue to use traditional motors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/dyson-profits-double-thanks-to-rd-investment-1983841.html

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/content/10603/Dyson_cleans_up

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/channel/Entrepreneurship/news/1006022/sales-vacuum-dyson-gadgets-cost-worth-paying/

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/article/25296/Dyson-doubles-operating-profits.aspx - note: this has the statement 'The company has also confirmed plans to launch a robotic version of its bagless vacuum cleaner' - dunno if that's significant, but I haven't seen it reported elsewhere.

Replies: 17 - 26 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson in the news
Reply #17   Jun 1, 2010 11:37 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi DIB

I commented /inquired about it.....i know nothing really beyond that. Out of curiousity id like to see it along with the other new oreck.

Will it outclean carpets better than a sanit-comm......that id have to see.

Kinda off topic...sorta....Acouple years ago a customer said she put pantyhose material around the shroud of a dyson 7....and said it kept things clean/cleanr in the cyclones and filter...that perf wasnt affected as long as you dumped daily w/some taps to the bin ....never saw it /but she did all her own service.....wonder howd that work on the shroud....or some type of thin filter media....? just thinking out loud.....

turtle

Retardturtle,

Sounds like something my mom would do (use a nylon thinking somehow this was a benefit when in reality it’s more trouble than it’s worth).  The Dyson shrouds are the most imitated, I’d assume this means they are ‘best in class.’  The fly screen had been used by Euro Pro and the newer Fantom, but it’s a choke point and forces the user to maintain (get dusty).  Not good.  If hair makes it past the shroud then perhaps she was filling to high or airflow is interrupted (often).

Dishonest Dave Oreck loves demonstrating that it's impossible (for him and his team) to empty a bagless without getting dust everywhere and in ones lungs.  Dyson sued him twice over this falsehood.  Now Dishonest is going bagless - too funny. 

Dyson Invents Big
This message was modified Jun 1, 2010 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #18   Jun 2, 2010 7:07 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Retardturtle,

Sounds like something my mom would do (use a nylon thinking somehow this was a benefit when in reality it’s more trouble than it’s worth).  The Dyson shrouds are the most imitated, I’d assume this means they are ‘best in class.’  The fly screen had been used by Euro Pro and the newer Fantom, but it’s a choke point and forces the user to maintain (get dusty).  Not good.  If hair makes it past the shroud then perhaps she was filling to high or airflow is interrupted (often).

Dishonest Dave Oreck loves demonstrating that it's impossible (for him and his team) to empty a bagless without getting dust everywhere and in ones lungs.  Dyson sued him twice over this falsehood.  Now Dishonest is going bagless - too funny. 

Dyson Invents Big

Oreck has had bagless floorcare products for decades.  Most recently a compact size canister.  Dave never said bagless vacuums would be a collector's item in time to come.  I recall in print your hero said that about vacuum paper bags in 2006.  Dishonest dyson or just dumb dyson.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #19   Jun 2, 2010 7:10 am
Severus wrote:
Just got my July 2010 Consumer Reports in the mail.  there is a review of the Dyson Air-multiplier fan on page 9.  Also compared it so several fans ranging in price from $17 to $35.

Thanks SEVERUS.  Nice to see that CR had the sense to review at the start of the summer season [Memorial Day]. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #20   Jun 2, 2010 7:31 am
M00seUK wrote:

In the UK market, I'd agree they they're more of a novelty, a status-symbol item, than representing fantastic value for money. But it hasn't stopped the likes of Bugatti from having a viable business in a similar low unit, high margin vain." [M00seuk wrote]

Thought you might like to read the latest on bugatti from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/automobiles/collectibles/23BUGATTI.html?ex=1290484800&en=f4858c8bf631e842&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=AU-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M151-ROS-0610-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click

Like collectible vacuums or more like dyson's comment on paper bags.  The only perceived truth is in the heads of the sayer.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 2, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #21   Jun 2, 2010 10:17 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Retardturtle,

Dyson Invents Big

dib,

Companies sue each other all the time.  How were the lawsuits resolved?  Please provide a link to the story of the rulings if possible.  David Oreck is a very smart man.  He also knows that it's important to protect his reputation.  He doesn't just say that bagless vacuums are messy, he demonstrates it with videos.   In a table comparing bagless to his bagged vacuums, he does use the phrase "bagless - may be messy to empty."  

I'm not sure how the lawsuit was resolved, but several videos are still on the oreck web site depicting the messiness of emptying a Dyson DC14:   www.oreck.com/upright-vacuum-cleaners/oreckxlultra_vs_bagless.cfm. 

This message was modified Jun 2, 2010 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Venson

Reply #22   Jun 2, 2010 12:37 pm
I have no idea what led me to go window shopping this moring but in the process of making the rounds I finally got to see the "bladeless" fan on a shelf at BestBuy for $299..  Best yet, it was even plugged in.  Is it is cute?  Heck yeah!  Could I use one . . . . well . . . well . . . no!

But fortunately, just down the aisle what did I see that could change my life -- an 8,000 BTU Frigidaire air conditioner FOR JUST $199.  If I want to I can add another $60 and get coverage for in-home repair or replacement through BestBuy for the next four years.  I'm but lowly and plebian but the deal rings sweet in my ear and I swoon . . .

Moving on to vacuums -- Dyson should be beefing about the awful manner in which BestBuy allows vacuums to be used for demo and store maintenance and then returned to the shelve for display without emptying or cleaning up.  It is not helpful as far as turning on a possible buyer is concerned.  I of course have been informed that BEstBuy does not promote this kind of use for saleable stock but it appears, alas, alas, word hasn't reached my branch.

Despite the dirty, dusty (and scratched-up) state that this branch of BestBuy had set out its demo model of the DC28 in, I was able to immediately appreciate the thing that makes it a winner.  The brushroll.  The bristle tufting is set more tightly together and the "drum" is larger.   For all his far flung ideas, Jimmy D finally got something right.

Venson

retardturtle1

Reply #23   Jun 3, 2010 4:13 pm
Venson wrote:
I have no idea what led me to go window shopping this moring but in the process of making the rounds I finally got to see the "bladeless" fan on a shelf at BestBuy for $299..  Best yet, it was even plugged in.  Is it is cute?  Heck yeah!  Could I use one . . . . well . . . well . . . no!

But fortunately, just down the aisle what did I see that could change my life -- an 8,000 BTU Frigidaire air conditioner FOR JUST $199.  If I want to I can add another $60 and get coverage for in-home repair or replacement through BestBuy for the next four years.  I'm but lowly and plebian but the deal rings sweet in my ear and I swoon . . .

Moving on to vacuums -- Dyson should be beefing about the awful manner in which BestBuy allows vacuums to be used for demo and store maintenance and then returned to the shelve for display without emptying or cleaning up.  It is not helpful as far as turning on a possible buyer is concerned.  I of course have been informed that BEstBuy does not promote this kind of use for saleable stock but it appears, alas, alas, word hasn't reached my branch.

Despite the dirty, dusty (and scratched-up) state that this branch of BestBuy had set out its demo model of the DC28 in, I was able to immediately appreciate the thing that makes it a winner.  The brushroll.  The bristle tufting is set more tightly together and the "drum" is larger.   For all his far flung ideas, Jimmy D finally got something right.

Venson

Saw the fan at target....no way on this earth is it worth the cost..period.

a/c....so worth the cost my friend....years of relaxating enjoyment....money well spent as i would die and fall out without my a/c.....my youth  is to blame ive been told...? the ext warrty...in your situation is worth it...id be all over it . the security is worth it.

The 28s roller would be an after-market gift to the 7.....that and the clutch system....get rid of i say and install an aftermarket roller like the 28 and you have a beast in waiting...problem solved...and one im surprised hasnt been addressed...due to the issues at hand.

turtle

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #24   Jun 3, 2010 4:56 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:

Saw the fan at target....no way on this earth is it worth the cost..period.

a/c....so worth the cost my friend....years of relaxating enjoyment....money well spent as i would die and fall out without my a/c.....my youth  is to blame ive been told...? the ext warrty...in your situation is worth it...id be all over it . the security is worth it.

The 28s roller would be an after-market gift to the 7.....that and the clutch system....get rid of i say and install an aftermarket roller like the 28 and you have a beast in waiting...problem solved...and one im surprised hasnt been addressed...due to the issues at hand.

turtle

As a fan, the Dyson air multiplier is way overpriced - by several hundred dollars.  However, as a status symbol and piece of art, it's "priceless."  

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #25   Jun 3, 2010 7:53 pm
Severus wrote:

As a fan, the Dyson air multiplier is way overpriced - by several hundred dollars.  However, as a status symbol and piece of art, it's "priceless."  

A collector's item. 

Carmine D. 

Severus

Reply #26   Jun 4, 2010 12:44 am
CarmineD wrote:
A collector's item. 

Carmine D. 

Although I won't be buying one at the current pricing, I would consider one if the price dropped to say $50.  The danger to Dyson is that by gouging consumers on the fan, consumers might do the math and conclude that vacuums are overpriced by a similar factor.  Just to be generous, suppose that with it's novelty that the fan is worth $100:  then the fan is overpriced by a factor of 3.5.   A consumer might conclude that the vacuums are also overpriced by a factor of 3.5. 

Replies: 17 - 26 of 90Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42