Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Upright wanted--Hoover?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
eliot3

Upright wanted--Hoover?
Original Message   May 13, 2010 3:21 pm
I am interested in buying an upright vacuum, bagged, and I am willing to spend up to, say, $350.  It will be used, not heavily, by an older woman who has a shedding cat and is not mechanically apt.  A longish cord and an attachment for a linoleum floor would be a plus.  I'll take any suggestion, but in the absence of any I am looking at a Hoover UH30010COM Platinum Lightweight Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Canister, which is sold on Amazon.  My concern with Hoovers in general is that according to CR they are highly repair prone.  Anybody have experience with this model in particular, recent experience with Hoovers in general, or any other suggestions?
Replies: 33 - 42 of 64Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Upright wanted--Hoover?
Reply #33   May 18, 2010 1:52 am
vacmanuk wrote:
Oh yes Hardsell - w h a t e v e r - Dyson may have got his tools right but his washing machines went belly up and they have yet to make another appearance despite the poor reliability of the last ones sold.

I was amazed dyson actually sold 1900 in 2004 before he pulled it off the market.  Then, I learned he actually gave each of his employees one free. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #34   May 18, 2010 10:01 am
CarmineD wrote:
Like these tools:
  1. The Ball barrow [aka discontinued wheel barrow]. 
  2. Airblade [aka hand drier for $1400]. 
  3. AirMultiplier [aka 10 inch fan for $300]. 
  4. Ball vacuum [DC15 for $599 and discontinued after one year.  DC18 Slim for $469 and discontinued after 2 years.  DC24 for $399 and TBD.  DC25 for $500 plus with a free dyson handheld and free Dirt Devil rug cleaner]. 
  5. Waterless dish washer [patent pending for 3 years and still counting]. 
  6. Contra rotating washing machine [aka a washing machine costing 2X the normal price that was pulled off the market after 1 year for lack of sales].  
  7. Robotic state of the art pristine DDM plant [aka UK-China business partnership which recently shuttered].  

The craftyman is James Dyson.  Useful things in today's world to meet the problems of the future.   Tru r teest!

Carmine D.

eliot3

Reply #35   May 18, 2010 12:41 pm
Thank you all for your responses.  We wound up getting the Hoover, and from Amazon even though that's likely not the cheapest source, because if something goes wrong Amazon will take it back
CarmineD

Reply #36   May 18, 2010 12:45 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Sir James Dyson, 2006:  "Vacuum bags will become collectors' items." 

What happened?  DC07, DC11,  DC15,  DC18,  DC21 ....the actual collectors' items.

Crow

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 18, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #37   May 18, 2010 12:46 pm
eliot3 wrote:
Thank you all for your responses.  We wound up getting the Hoover, and from Amazon even though that's likely not the cheapest source, because if something goes wrong Amazon will take it back

Enjoy your new HOOVER bagged Platinum lightweight and compact canister. 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #38   May 18, 2010 1:55 pm
CarmineD wrote:
How about this one Mike W?  Need help deciphering the childish  acronym? 

Carmine D.

Carmine;

You really do not have any room to finger-point.  The ice is getting thinner.
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #39   May 18, 2010 1:57 pm
eliot3 wrote:

Congrats on your new  purchase.  The HOOVER should perform very well for its user.

This message was modified May 18, 2010 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #40   May 18, 2010 2:00 pm
Mike_W wrote:
Carmine;

You really do not have any room to finger-point.  The ice is getting thinner.

Nor do you!  No ice in the desert.  That's one of the reasons I moved here.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #41   May 19, 2010 8:30 am
Mike_W wrote:
eliot3;

The HOOVER UH30010COM is a very good upright that does a very good job of getting at that deep down dirt.  I do like this.  It is comfortable to use and does not require alot of strength to push/pull/hold.  The handle is also very comfortable.  It does have a long cord, so there will be less moving of the plug, as the user vacuums.

I would not follow what CR says, because they get it wrong. You can read, from my posts, that I do not use what they say.  What I have always told people is to use it to see/compare the features of some models.  They do not even have all of the  brands available.  That right there makes it a bad guide, because the potential vacuum purchaser may be missing out on a very good vacuum cleaner, if it is not listed. 

If you are going to get the HOOVER, I would suggest that you take your time and look around.  I know that you can find this model, for alot less, in other places.  You can find it for alittle over $200.00.

It's not a good/bad guide per se.  It's a guide, period end of story.  How one uses it determines it worth.  If it is used as a starting point to acquaint and familiarize the uninformed vacuum buyers and users, then it is a good guide.  If it is used as a 'gospel' it is a bad guide.  My feeling is that the experts in the field are the final and best source of advice ALWAYS.

Disgree with your argument that CR include all the vacuum brands to be a good guide.  It would be a tome rather than a magazine and have to be called Consumer Repose because it would put readers to sleep.

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #42   May 19, 2010 2:01 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It's not a good/bad guide per se.  It's a guide, period end of story.  How one uses it determines it worth.  If it is used as a starting point to acquaint and familiarize the uninformed vacuum buyers and users, then it is a good guide.  If it is used as a 'gospel' it is a bad guide.  My feeling is that the experts in the field are the final and best source of advice ALWAYS.

Disgree with your argument that CR include all the vacuum brands to be a good guide.  It would be a tome rather than a magazine and have to be called Consumer Repose because it would put readers to sleep.

Carmine D.

Carmine;

I am so glad that you disagree w/me.  I have no objection to you continuing to do so.  Love it!

I will be responding to your last post, but I have to get back to work.  I will put together something really good for people to "chew on".
Replies: 33 - 42 of 64Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42