Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Kirby demo supplies/equipment

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Kirby demo supplies/equipment
Original Message   May 17, 2010 12:54 am
www.goodvac.com has the Kirby pad and cloth meters, single and double for sale, as well as the pads and cloths. Did not see the suction plates or the airflow meters
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Kirby demo supplies/equipment
Reply #11   May 19, 2010 7:41 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine
Not sure but wasnt the metal fan an upgrade/option  from the HTG2 and up....somewhat of an increase in airflow ...suction?

Some say a big diff...some no diff  at all. But id say the kevlar is the more durable choice......on a side note i once had a collector come in and buy some  fans and he'd  coat them in epoxy resin/glue?...metal/plastic u name it....made them unbreakable on the vacs he restored.....wonder if it really works if coated evenly....hmmm.  so whats your take on this.

turtle

Hello turtle:

I'm not sure it was an upgrade either.  I would have to know the specific reasons why, other than metal is perceived as better.  If that's the case, I don't agree. 

Have not heard of the epoxy fan coating.  I question its effectiveness since the additional weight and coating would, if not perfectly and evenly coated, affect the fan/motor balance.  At high speed even the slightest difference would have effects.

Carmine D.

procare

Reply #12   May 20, 2010 1:02 am
I don't know where Jhannah came up with Kevlar fans. They are Lexan. These are what Kirby puts out as recent as yesterday.

Procare

CarmineD

Reply #13   May 20, 2010 7:31 am
procare wrote:
I don't know where Jhannah came up with Kevlar fans. They are Lexan. These are what Kirby puts out as recent as yesterday.

Procare

That's what I thought Procare, thanks.  Maybe Jhannah is thinking belts.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #14   May 20, 2010 10:25 am
Actually Jahannan is partly right.  The fans from Tradition to the G series were Lexan.  I did understand that with the G series they started using Kevlar.  I have no proof this is only what I was told.  I would bet Mole could answer this definitively.

There are some that "FrankenKirby" their machines using the older metal fans with steeper 10 blade aluminum on their newer machines claiming that there is better airflow than with the 11 blade Lexan models.  I got in to a discussion with someone on another site over this and was called many bad names, so to this I will claim my ignorance. 

I do, however, feel that the designers know what they are doing when they design a machine and the air-flow and turbulance were taken into account when they designed the fan casing and air outlets as well as the emptors on the G Series machines.

Venson

Reply #15   May 20, 2010 11:18 am
Hi,

I called a local dealer and he says Lexan.  I first rang Kirby's 800 number but no one was prepared to state technical info and instead gave me three numbers of New York Kirby dealers near my zip code.  None of the three reps I talked to knew what material the fan was made of except, per the last -- "I don't know what it is but it's definitely not aluminum." 

Astute!  And people wonder why the big box stores are making out like bandits.  We don't expect them to know anything.

A call all the way to Eaton Town, NJ call was no big deal as I use Skype,for a more definitive answer.  After my directly inquiring if the Kirby fan was aluminum, Lexan or Kevlar, the gentleman I spoke with said that to the best of his knowledege the material the Sentria  fan is made of is Lexan.  Good salesman that he was he did not hesitate to inform me of Lexan's advantage, resilience-wise, oover the "white metal" used to make Kirby fans in past.

Venson

This message was modified May 20, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi,

I called a local dealer and he says Lexan.  I first rang Kirby's 800 number but no one was prepared to state technical info and instead gave me three numbers of New York Kirby dealers near my zip code.  None of the three reps I talked to knew what material the fan was made of except, per the last -- "I don't know what it is but it's definitely not aluminum." 

Astute!  And people wonder why the big box stores are making out like bandits.  We don't expect them to know anything.

A call all the way to Eaton Town, NJ call was no big deal as I use Skype,for a more definitive answer.  After my directly inquiring if the Kirby fan was aluminum, Lexan or Kevlar, the gentleman I spoke with said that to the best of his knowledege the material the Sentria  fan is made of is Lexan.  Good salesman that he was he did not hesitate to inform me of Lexan's advantage, resilience-wise, oover the "white metal" used to make Kirby fans in past.

Venson

Hi Venson:

"White metal" I opine to mean aluminum.  Years ago HOOVER referred to its bases and forks as white metal when they actually were metal [aluminum] and not plastic.  Have not heard that in awhile.  Aluminum is lightweight asa metal and long lasting.  Except as a fan when fan blades are subject to bend and break from what's picked up.   

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #17   May 20, 2010 1:59 pm
Actually Lexan and Kevalar are both correct.  Here is a quote:

The woven form of Lexan is Kevlar, of bullet proof vest and tank armor fame. Lexan is expensive, but you can get narrow strips of it cheap or free at a glass shop. These strips remain when a standard size sheet is cut down for a shatterproof window, leaving a strip too narrow for any window. There are groups which heat and vacuum form Lexan for body armor. I have used 1/8 in. strips as the core of foam swords with good results.

This message was modified May 20, 2010 by Just
jhannah

Reply #18   May 20, 2010 4:06 pm
Just wrote:
Actually Lexan and Kevalar are both correct.  Here is a quote:

The woven form of Lexan is Kevlar, of bullet proof vest and tank armor fame. Lexan is expensive, but you can get narrow strips of it cheap or free at a glass shop. These strips remain when a standard size sheet is cut down for a shatterproof window, leaving a strip too narrow for any window. There are groups which heat and vacuum form Lexan for body armor. I have used 1/8 in. strips as the core of foam swords with good results.

The information that I got came from GreatVacs.com http://www.greatvacs.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32823/viewPageName/KirbyVacuumModels
CarmineD

Reply #19   May 20, 2010 5:49 pm
So is white metal to aluminum what kevlar is to lexan?  Don't you just love it when the facts meet the truth and it all comes to light! 

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #20   May 20, 2010 6:10 pm
CarmineD wrote:
So is white metal to aluminum what kevlar is to lexan?  Don't you just love it when the facts meet the truth and it all comes to light! 

Carmine D.

OR ...to keep it simple. ...would you like your fan replaced with a metal or plastic one?

turtle

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42