Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Upright wanted--Hoover?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
eliot3

Upright wanted--Hoover?
Original Message   May 13, 2010 3:21 pm
I am interested in buying an upright vacuum, bagged, and I am willing to spend up to, say, $350.  It will be used, not heavily, by an older woman who has a shedding cat and is not mechanically apt.  A longish cord and an attachment for a linoleum floor would be a plus.  I'll take any suggestion, but in the absence of any I am looking at a Hoover UH30010COM Platinum Lightweight Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Canister, which is sold on Amazon.  My concern with Hoovers in general is that according to CR they are highly repair prone.  Anybody have experience with this model in particular, recent experience with Hoovers in general, or any other suggestions?
Replies: 16 - 25 of 64Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: Upright wanted--Hoover?
Reply #16   May 16, 2010 1:46 pm
Hi eliot

Personally if it was me I'd save up and go for a SEBO. Having just visited www.ebay.com I can see there are quite a few Sebo models on there under the $350 mark and whilst the X4 model is heavier than Oreck, it has a lighter gliding aspect thanks to its electronic head; the machine can also clean hard flooring without marking and doesn't need a Lino tool - I regularly use my X4 on hard floor lino and no damage ever occurs. Given that there's a pet involved the Sebo X can accept other tools such as a mini turbo brush for above the floor cleaning. If the owner intended has to clean cushions or anywhere where the animal is going above carpets you would need to consider a vacuum cleaner that has optional tools and a hose to deal with this - none of Oreck's models have a hose on board unless you consider the much more expensive Oreck Pro commercial upright model and that weighs more than Sebo's basic X4. Over the lighter XL, whoever owns it will have to do bend down to the floor and undo a screw to replace the drive belt - on the Sebo uprights, push a button and the brush bar pops out - the machine is fitted with a lifetime drive belt.

Another alternative is the Sebo Felix or Windsor Axcess which is the same machine in the U.S Starter prices are usually $400 which is a bit more than the asking price. Generally if reliability is what you are after and little to go wrong the older SEBO X1 Automatic or X4 should suffice. U.S models under the Windsor tag go under the name of " Windsor Versamatic." The Versamatic models on EBAY.com are well priced whilst the X4 has slightly more power (check out 300427569260 on Ebay.com from a seller based in Maine for example)

Windsor Versamatic                                                                                                                                                                     Sebo X4

http://www.homeprovacuum.com/images/products/detail_79_winsensorxp12.jpghttp://www.sylvane.com/images/productpages/sebo/x-series/x4_diagram.gifhttp://www.wired.com/images/productreviews/2009/05/pr_sebo_automatic_x4_f.jpg

This message was modified May 16, 2010 by vacmanuk
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #17   May 17, 2010 2:46 pm
eliot3;

The HOOVER UH30010COM is a very good upright that does a very good job of getting at that deep down dirt.  I do like this.  It is comfortable to use and does not require alot of strength to push/pull/hold.  The handle is also very comfortable.  It does have a long cord, so there will be less moving of the plug, as the user vacuums.

I would not follow what CR says, because they get it wrong. You can read, from my posts, that I do not use what they say.  What I have always told people is to use it to see/compare the features of some models.  They do not even have all of the  brands available.  That right there makes it a bad guide, because the potential vacuum purchaser may be missing out on a very good vacuum cleaner, if it is not listed. 

If you are going to get the HOOVER, I would suggest that you take your time and look around.  I know that you can find this model, for alot less, in other places.  You can find it for alittle over $200.00.
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #18   May 17, 2010 2:49 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I have been using the Platinum combo for several months.  Some of the prior vacs that I used were Kirby, Royal, Dyson, Oreck, Panasonic, Hoover bagless (3 different series).

I have been pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Platinum.  Cord is ample at 35'.  Although the bags are large this vac fills them quicker than others I have used.  A  good indicator that dirt is being removed from the carpet.  It is light weight and feels featherwieght when using.  So far no issues with the quality.  The hand held is an excellent performer with superior suction.

Bags are not cheap and not overly abundant.  I would prefer it to be quieter.  I have had to remove the sole plate and clean under it. IMO this should not occur with the use that I have given it.  It has not affected performance and hopefully will not.

The brush can't be turned off.  I use the hand held on non carpet floors.  Having the hand held gives it an advantoge over Hoover uprights with no brush stop switch.  The WT Hoovers get low scores on reliability.  I have not used one for years so I can only report what I read.

The Platinum has the Hoover name, however I doubt it is a true Hoover design.  All vacs have their quirks.  I can't say that I have found one and I highly recommend the Platinum. You should at least try one at home. Just purchase from a store with liberal return policy.

HARDSELL;

This was a good reply to the OP
retardturtle1

Reply #19   May 17, 2010 5:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
You got it right the first time.  I wondered and asked often here why you sold the dyson after using just 2 years if you liked it as much as you said so.  You finally provided the answer below.  Thank you for your honesty.  I highlighted. 

A deep rug cleaner like the HOOVER WT will remove the dirt other vacuums leave behind even in the matting and under.  BUT.. you will have to vacuum thoroughly.  HOOVER suggests 7 passes forward and back for best results.  I suggest doing this 7 pass method with daily vacuuming for at least 7 consecutive days.  Why?  If you've vacuumed once a week routinely for 5 years with vacuums that leave dirt behind [as you say], it will take a rigorous vacuuming routine to get the rugs back to normal clean.  Like the ORECK tho, with the smallish nozzle head on the HOOVER lightweight bagged [even with WT tech] it's going to take you a darn long time to vacuum 1200 sq feet every day with 7 passes back and forth.  At the end, change the bag and go back to once a week and as needed.  Monitor and track your bag usage/replacement.  If the 7 daily vacuum days works, it will save you money on bags in the future.   Let me know the result.  Always happy to serve and assist.  But.. you have to get over your ego and id and listen and follow my instructions.  Or, you are still going to be hard to sell.  Your choice, not mine.  You can have it the hard way or the easy way.  It's your time and money. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine

I started the above 7 pass meth today.....i had been doing the up and bak method, twice a day...everyday,, so im anxious to see what turns up in a week.

Will do the 7 pass in the morning...single up and back at night after dinner..as usual.

My full routine of carpet cleaning is vacuum twice daily...everyday and use the spin scrub hoover to shampoo/re-rinse  every change of the season...that and a central hvac hepa filter change every 45 days keeps the wifes allergies at bay...pollen has been awful down here in the south over the past couple years....record setting.

And thank you for the tip....i hope you dont mind.

turtle

HARDSELL

Reply #20   May 17, 2010 5:53 pm
Mike_W wrote:
HARDSELL;

This was a good reply to the OP

Thank you Mike.
HARDSELL

Reply #21   May 17, 2010 5:58 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

I started the above 7 pass meth today.....i had been doing the up and bak method, twice a day...everyday,, so im anxious to see what turns up in a week.

Will do the 7 pass in the morning...single up and back at night after dinner..as usual.

My full routine of carpet cleaning is vacuum twice daily...everyday and use the spin scrub hoover to shampoo/re-rinse  every change of the season...that and a central hvac hepa filter change every 45 days keeps the wifes allergies at bay...pollen has been awful down here in the south over the past couple years....record setting.

turtle

Turtle.

You and Carmine can get help for the OCD.  

CarmineD

Reply #22   May 17, 2010 6:26 pm
retardturtle1 wrote:
Hi Carmine

turtle

Have at it.  Keep me posted.  I'm sure you'll find the rugs looking better both before and after you shampoo too by using this 7X7 procedure.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 17, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #23   May 17, 2010 6:34 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

How about this one Mike W?  Need help deciphering the childish  acronym? 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #24   May 17, 2010 7:11 pm
CarmineD wrote:
How about this one Mike W?  Need help deciphering the childish  acronym? 

Carmine D.

Is there something wrong with saying What Tomfoolery?  If you have to vacuum the area 7 times you need a better vacuum. 
CarmineD

Reply #25   May 17, 2010 7:46 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Is there something wrong with saying What Tomfoolery?  If you have to vacuum the area 7 times you need a better vacuum. 

My favorite:  A soup question.  No more wrong than ID-10-T.  Oftentimes, it's not the vacuum brand/model that is at fault when rugs fill with deep down dirt, but the way it is used.  Or, more appropriately in your particular case, the lack thereof.

Carmine D.

Replies: 16 - 25 of 64Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42