Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson vacuum lifts car.

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Hertz

Dyson vacuum lifts car.
Original Message   May 13, 2010 12:22 pm
WOW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysTMPWm9s0&feature=related Also, Sir James Dyson is hiring *350* new engineers IN THE UK at his main base in Malmesbury. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/26/dyson-recruit-350-engineers PRETTY SWEET :D
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson vacuum lifts car.
Reply #1   May 13, 2010 1:38 pm
Other vacuums in addition to a dyson can do the same.   As impressive as it seems to you/others it has no bearing on how well it performs as a vacuum.  For example, if a dyson DC11 were used, it would do the same thing: Lift the car.  Why?  It has more A/W than the dyson cann used for the car lift trick.  The DC11 was pulled off USA shelves in 5 months and entirely from the USA market in 9 months.  Why?  All dyson retailers in the USA, including BEST BUY stores, refused to sell any more of the DC11 canns because of the high return rates.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 13, 2010 by CarmineD
Lucky1

Reply #2   May 13, 2010 2:48 pm
Hertz wrote:
WOW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysTMPWm9s0&feature=related Also, Sir James Dyson is hiring *350* new engineers IN THE UK at his main base in Malmesbury. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/26/dyson-recruit-350-engineers PRETTY SWEET :D

It's a shame I didn't see this last week I had to vacuum up a toyota from my livingroom rug.
M00seUK

Reply #3   May 13, 2010 4:53 pm
That's shocking - a variation of the bowling ball trick, using a car? Presented for entertainment purposes? I'm sure Dyson would secretly be pleased by the representation, but that's incredibly loose morals for a TV show.
Hertz

Reply #4   May 13, 2010 6:07 pm
Lucky1 - yeah, the Eureka VibraGroomers are especially good on Toyotas. I think this is more for the "WOW" factor though to show people - because it's a science-oriented show it seems - that vacuums are more powerful than they appear. How and WHY does this trick work? I mean, my Electrolux Silverado has trouble holding like 20 lbs (maybe 25) to it's nozzle. Is it the surface area? What?
This message was modified May 13, 2010 by Hertz
CarmineD

Reply #5   May 14, 2010 8:02 am
M00seUK wrote:

"That's shocking - a variation of the bowling ball trick, using a car? Presented for entertainment purposes? I'm sure Dyson would secretly be pleased by the representation, but that's incredibly loose morals for a TV show."

Must have been filmed in Las Vegas.  BTW, similar industry trick done with refrigerator in the past.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 14, 2010 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #6   May 14, 2010 9:51 am
the ristenbatt web site has a nice explanation of the physics behind the trick.

http://www.ristenbatt.com/lift_per.mv

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #7   May 14, 2010 9:15 pm
Severus wrote:
the ristenbatt web site has a nice explanation of the physics behind the trick.

http://www.ristenbatt.com/lift_per.mv

Thanks SEVERUS.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #8   May 14, 2010 11:39 pm
A Volkswagen Beetle filled with 400lbs of steel $#%* (just like the Lux demo ones) was lifted by a Heritage II in 1986
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczxUJLPhkg
This message was modified May 14, 2010 by Trebor
procare

Reply #9   May 15, 2010 1:54 am
  Over the yearts I have seen cars, refridgerators, and the old 16 pound bowling ball being picked up.  When an ad shows a 16 pound bowling ball picked up by a little vacuum motor to remove air from food saver bags ,you know they will find someone that will say that is one powerful motor.  In 1967 or1968 Eureka came out with their vacuum cleaner on TV and picked up a 16 pound bowling ball in the air in a clear tube . It was approximately 3-4 inches off the ground and had maybe 2 feet of space above it. It was suspended in the air, not sealed suction.  Electrolux ,at the time owned by Consolidated Foods (Sara Lee now)  got 100 housewives together and had them go into the plant and pick machines off the line for testing. One of the test performed in front of them was the cleaners picking up 4 16 pound bowling $#%* up and having them suspendeded in the air. Today they have them picking up 5 16 pound bowling $#%*. I do not say Aerus is the only one that will do this but I have seen other machines that couldn't.  This pickup of bowling $#%* is not advertised to say how powerful the cleaners are. I have a picture of the ball pickup and will put it on when I figure out how to d o it.
This message was modified May 15, 2010 by procare
mole

Reply #10   May 15, 2010 7:27 am
procare wrote:
  Over the yearts I have seen cars, refridgerators, and the old 16 pound bowling ball being picked up.  When an ad shows a 16 pound bowling ball picked up by a little vacuum motor to remove air from food saver bags ,you know they will find someone that will say that is one powerful motor.  In 1967 or1968 Eureka came out with their vacuum cleaner on TV and picked up a 16 pound bowling ball in the air in a clear tube . It was approximately 3-4 inches off the ground and had maybe 2 feet of space above it. It was suspended in the air, not sealed suction.  Electrolux ,at the time owned by Consolidated Foods (Sara Lee now)  got 100 housewives together and had them go into the plant and pick machines off the line for testing. One of the test performed in front of them was the cleaners picking up 4 16 pound bowling $#%* up and having them suspendeded in the air. Today they have them picking up 5 16 pound bowling $#%*. I do not say Aerus is the only one that will do this but I have seen other machines that couldn't.  This pickup of bowling $#%* is not advertised to say how powerful the cleaners are. I have a picture of the ball pickup and will put it on when I figure out how to d o it.

Procare,

Remember the 3200 hundred dollar central vacuum bowling bolz display??????
CarmineD

Reply #11   May 15, 2010 8:05 am
Trebor wrote:
A Volkswagen Beetle filled with 400lbs of steel $#%* (just like the Lux demo ones) was lifted by a Heritage II in 1986
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yczxUJLPhkg

Thanks Trebor, I forgot about that one.  So..........the TV car lift using a dyson is a copy of Kirby Heritage 11.  Not even original! 

Carmine D.

PS: The lead white coat scientist in the VW lift, Mr. Baird:  Where have you heard that name used before?

This message was modified May 15, 2010 by CarmineD
Trebor

Reply #12   May 15, 2010 10:53 am
Carmine,

Tom Baird left the Kirby company to form Bairdmeter INC. He sold the suction tester nozzle plates for the Kirby demo, as well as the dirt meter, (single and stackable,) The cloth tube with the black cloths held in place with a round spring was called a 'Baird' meter. He also sold the airflow meter that went on the front of the Kirby to show airflow, and could be used to ' kill' canister vacuums by showing decreased airflow as the distance between the cleaner and working hose end increased. Because he dealt with the distributors directly he made a lot of money to the consternation of the Kirby company.  It was the distributors who told Kirby to leave Tom Baird alone if they wanted to keep their distributor netwwork, because KIrby was not interested in making demo equipment, not really.

I heard that Baidrmeter had also bought out Tom Butz, the maker of formula. I also heard that Kirby bought out Tom Baird's widow. I have no idea if any of the products Baird manufactured are still produced by Kirby today. I cannot find Bairdmeter, or Formula on the net

Regards,

Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #13   May 15, 2010 1:22 pm
Trebor wrote:
Carmine,

Tom Baird left the Kirby company to form Bairdmeter INC. He sold the suction tester nozzle plates for the Kirby demo, as well as the dirt meter, (single and stackable,) The cloth tube with the black cloths held in place with a round spring was called a 'Baird' meter. He also sold the airflow meter that went on the front of the Kirby to show airflow, and could be used to ' kill' canister vacuums by showing decreased airflow as the distance between the cleaner and working hose end increased. Because he dealt with the distributors directly he made a lot of money to the consternation of the Kirby company.  It was the distributors who told Kirby to leave Tom Baird alone if they wanted to keep their distributor netwwork, because KIrby was not interested in making demo equipment, not really.

I heard that Baidrmeter had also bought out Tom Butz, the maker of formula. I also heard that Kirby bought out Tom Baird's widow. I have no idea if any of the products Baird manufactured are still produced by Kirby today. I cannot find Bairdmeter, or Formula on the net

Regards,

Trebor

Trebor:  You da Man!

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #14   May 16, 2010 11:12 pm
Carmine D.

To quote Robin Williams as Andrew in 'Bicentennial Man'

"One is glad to be of service, sir!"

It is not often that I am able to supply some tidbit of information outside the scope of your vast knowledge.  It is my sincere wish that we will meet in person while we both  still walk this earth. You have always been the consummate gentleman in print, and I have no doubt you are the same in person, and so, backatcha, Carmine, "YOU da man!"

Trebor

CarmineD

Reply #15   May 17, 2010 1:28 pm
Trebor wrote:
Carmine D.

To quote Robin Williams as Andrew in 'Bicentennial Man'

"One is glad to be of service, sir!"

It is not often that I am able to supply some tidbit of information outside the scope of your vast knowledge.  It is my sincere wish that we will meet in person while we both  still walk this earth. You have always been the consummate gentleman in print, and I have no doubt you are the same in person, and so, backatcha, Carmine, "YOU da man!"

Trebor

I try to emulate you! 

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #16   May 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Ah, Carmine,
To be witty, kind, and self-effacing all at once is truly a gift.
Thank you. You are an inspiration.

Trebor
CarmineD

Reply #17   May 17, 2010 6:40 pm
Trebor wrote:
Ah, Carmine,
To be witty, kind, and self-effacing all at once is truly a gift.

Trebor

I try hard.  Thank you.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #18   May 17, 2010 7:16 pm
Trebor wrote:
Ah, Carmine,
To be witty, kind, and self-defacating all at once is truly a gift.

Trebor

CarmineD wrote:
I try hard.  Thank you.

Carmine D.

You have been very successful at part of it.

CarmineD

Reply #19   May 17, 2010 7:44 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
You have been very successful at part of it.

Thank you.  God rewards the effort, not the result!

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #20   May 17, 2010 8:05 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Thank you.  God rewards the effort, not the result!

Carmine D.

All that effort to accomplish the success I referred to creates a foul smell.
CarmineD

Reply #21   May 17, 2010 8:20 pm
HARDSELL wrote:

Perhaps it's a result of where you put your nose!

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #22   May 18, 2010 9:23 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
CarmineD wrote:
Perhaps it's a result of where you put your nose!

Carmine D.

Carmine, ROFLMAO!

They never learn! To engage one's opponent in a battle of wits requires adequate skill and sufficient ammunition.  Your most recent opponent apparently has left the battlefield. In his case, discretion is the better part of valor

Regards,

Trebor
HARDSELL

Reply #23   May 18, 2010 11:45 pm
Trebor wrote:
Ah, Carmine,
To be witty, kind, and self-defacating all at once is truly a gift.

Trebor

CarmineD wrote:
I try hard.  Thank you.

Carmine D.

I haven't left the battlefield.  Just moved upwind for fresher air.

CarmineD

Reply #24   May 19, 2010 6:49 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I haven't left the battlefield.  Just moved upwind for fresher air.

Also called retreat.............

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 19, 2010 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #25   May 19, 2010 6:57 am
Trebor wrote:
Carmine, ROFLMAO!

They never learn! To engage one's opponent in a battle of wits requires adequate skill and sufficient ammunition.  Your most recent opponent apparently has left the battlefield. In his case, discretion is the better part of valor

Regards,

Trebor

As a student/master of dialectic its a joy to see the exact moment an opponent's argument falls apart.

Now tis best to get back to a discussion of vacuums else Mike W will cancel my WSJ subscription.   

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 19, 2010 by CarmineD
Replies: 1 - 25 of 25View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42