Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

New Oreck vacuums
Original Message   May 5, 2010 5:19 pm
Today I fortuitously stopped at the local Oreck dealer. 

Mike, the owner of several Oreck franchises and a few multi-brand stores had brought his new Edge upright from home, as stock had not arrived yet.

It has a more powerful motor, with a true  floating head. LED lights, infinite speed control AND and on-board stretch hose with a permanently attached telescopic crevice tool that is automatically active when the handle is in the upright position.  It lacks the Pilot's pivot head and the Halo's germ killing light. A model incorporating all three features is under development.  It is still easy to push, although it weighs 10 lb and requires a bit more effort than previous models.

There is a commercial OBT upright made by Stein (Sebo) that is very nice at only 450.00.  Oreck WILL be offering a bagless upright, but dealer participation is optional.  The new canister is color matched to the Edge and designed to be leaned on as the user vacuums stairs. Odd looking bare floor/crevice tool, no swivel neck. The bristles fold in to form the crevice tool, and the wand is inserted into a neck that curves more than 60 and less than 90 degrees, much like the OLD bare floor tools made of wood with the metal neck screwed on. A turbo tool is included and a dusting brush.

A cute little bagless canister is available for 49.99  Oreck has increased market share and has 89% brand recognition as a vacuum cleaner. They have become #1in  air purifier sales. (Mike did not say if that was dollar volume, or units or both.

The price of the Edge and matching canister will be about 750.00

Oreck is still marketing, still developing product, and still building a loyal customer base.
Replies: 235 - 244 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: New Oreck vacuums
Reply #235   Aug 6, 2010 1:41 pm
Venson wrote:
In this case, I don't think the added-on hose is intended for regular duty nor is high suction required for its purpose -- quick pick-ups.  It should serve well for easily taking quick swipes in areas out of reach or at stuff you may have missed while working above floor.  Thus you avoid having to stop the floor work you're doing to go for the portable unit.

Personally, my preference whether upright or canister, is one vacuum with most of what I need easily on hand.  There is no particular thrill for me in going after a second vacuum or lugging around tool caddies.  I even appreciated that back in the day when Electrolux XXXs and LXs had a lock-on caddy for their mostly metal AND heavy tool set.

That's not an indictment against Oreck but a statement of preference.

By the way, has anyone simply pushed the new Edge back and forth with the machine turned off to judge its ease of travel?

Venson

Hi Venson:

Yes, I have even before plugging in and using.  It's a joy to push and pull both on/off.  The additional several pounds in weight [13 pounds] is almost negligible compared to the Classic XL due in large part to the larger rear wheels.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 6, 2010 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #236   Aug 6, 2010 7:39 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

Yes, I have even before plugging in and using.  It's a joy to push and pull both on/off.  The additional several pounds in weight [13 pounds] is almost negligible compared to the Classic XL due in large part to the larger rear wheels.

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine,  It's a good way to get an idea if resistance when handling is by way of weight and design or the pull of suction.

By the way for all interested parties, the user guide for the Edge upright  can be accessed here:

http://www.oreck.com/Owners-Guides#

Venson

This message was modified Aug 6, 2010 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #237   Aug 7, 2010 7:07 am
Venson wrote:
Thanks Carmine,  It's a good way to get an idea if resistance when handling is by way of weight and design or the pull of suction.

By the way for all interested parties, the user guide for the Edge upright  can be accessed here:

http://www.oreck.com/Owners-Guides#

Venson

Thanks Venson.  Good web site and reference.  Not just for the ORECK Edge User Guide but other vacuum/appliance user guides also.  

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #238   Aug 17, 2010 12:11 am
iMacDaddy wrote:
I was wondering if any of you had a chance to try the new Oreck edge in store? I had the chance to try one out a few days ago, and it impressed me in several different ways, and left me yearning for more in others. The toggle up/down variable control switch is something I much prefer to multiple set speeds, and I think it would better better accommodate multiple types of carpet pile than set multi-speeds. The cleaning head with the "true floating" design adapted well from going on thick shaggy carpets to lower profile carpeting. It also felt like it had a tight seal on the carpet which was different than what I expected: I use a Hoover Platinum upright where I work, and that thing feels like it just glides; the Oreck was the complete opposite of this. The LED lighting is also a nice touch, aesthetically and functionally. The things I wasn't too impressed with was the new onboard stretch hose. I'm not sure if the fan-first set up can't product as much suction as any clean air set up, but the airflow to that hose/crevice wand was dismal. I'd much rather just use the canister that comes with it at the $800 price point. Also, I didn't like the fact that it didn't maneuver as well as the Pivot; but I suppose the maneuverability niche is something that Oreck wants exclusive to the Pivot. I also don't like how there is no place to set your foot when stepping on the floor head to pull the handle back and out of the upright position (I really like how Dyson has the recessed areas on the head to place your foot in when doing this). All in all, not a bad vacuum.

iMacDaddy;

Didn't you read my #139 post?  I have used the ORECK Edge.

I thought it maneuvered just fine.  Both Edge and Pivot can go around furniture and in corners w/o straining oneself.  Dyson tries to fool people w/his .ommercials.  He shows how his "ball" vacuum can go around furniture, then shows how the other cleaner requires more work.  People do not understand that he is not showing the other vacuum cleaner moving in the same direction as his dyson. If he would have shown both vacuum cleaners doing the same thing, people would see that other machines can go around the room and furniture.  Euro-Pro took care of that w/ their Shark Navigator imfommercial.
vacmanuk

Reply #239   Aug 17, 2010 11:18 am
I suspect the Orecks can go under low furniture. The Dyson $#%* cant.
HARDSELL

Reply #240   Aug 17, 2010 6:05 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I suspect the Orecks can go under low furniture. The Dyson $#%* cant.

I suspect the Dyson can deep clean carpets.  The Oreck can't.
vacmanuk

Reply #241   Aug 17, 2010 7:31 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I suspect the Dyson can deep clean carpets.  The Oreck can't.

I suspect the Dyson will probably seep dust into the air once the canister is removed "no matter how" the dust is captured. The Oreck or Sebo don't!
HARDSELL

Reply #242   Aug 17, 2010 8:40 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
I suspect the Dyson will probably seep dust into the air once the canister is removed "no matter how" the dust is captured. The Oreck or Sebo don't!

Valid point.  However for those who are not bothered by the miniscule amount of canister dust they can enjoy clean carpets.  THose who are bothered can continue to suffer from the dust left in the carpet by the Oreck.

How do such sensitive persons remove lint from the dryer filter?  Much more lint is released from this chore than emptying a Dyson in my experiences.

vacmanuk

Reply #243   Aug 18, 2010 11:36 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Valid point.  However for those who are not bothered by the miniscule amount of canister dust they can enjoy clean carpets.  THose who are bothered can continue to suffer from the dust left in the carpet by the Oreck.

How do such sensitive persons remove lint from the dryer filter?  Much more lint is released from this chore than emptying a Dyson in my experiences.

Although their machines may well clean out "deep down dirt," think of the destruction your carpets are getting with constant suction all the time. I know that was one reason alone to why I stopped using Dyson upright vacs. Also, I wouldn't go as far to suggest "miniscule," amount of canister dust. Maybe U.S owners empty their Dysons outside their home, but most Dyson owners in the UK don't. Therefore the dust falling out often ends up on the kitchen floor again where the main refuse bin is located. It could well be "miniscule" when emptying the canister outside where the dust can become invisible the moment it becomes airborne but in closed spaces its easier to see the dust flying.

A full canister of dust measured at 2.5 litres in a general Dyson outweighs the small amount of lint from a tumble dryer filter. We just use our bagged vacuum to get the lint off, but some people actually damp cloth wash the lint filter and then probably flush the lint down the drain. That's the good thing about washing with water where dust filters are concerned (or even lint filters) once the lint is attracted by the water, the water keeps it all together before it is flushed away.
This message was modified Aug 18, 2010 by vacmanuk
CarmineD

Reply #244   Aug 18, 2010 1:18 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Although their machines may well clean out "deep down dirt," think of the destruction your carpets are getting with constant suction all the time. I know that was one reason alone to why I stopped using Dyson upright vacs. Also, I wouldn't go as far to suggest "miniscule," amount of canister dust. Maybe U.S owners empty their Dysons outside their home, but most Dyson owners in the UK don't. Therefore the dust falling out often ends up on the kitchen floor again where the main refuse bin is located. It could well be "miniscule" when emptying the canister outside where the dust can become invisible the moment it becomes airborne but in closed spaces its easier to see the dust flying.

A full canister of dust measured at 2.5 litres in a general Dyson outweighs the small amount of lint from a tumble dryer filter. We just use our bagged vacuum to get the lint off, but some people actually damp cloth wash the lint filter and then probably flush the lint down the drain. That's the good thing about washing with water where dust filters are concerned (or even lint filters) once the lint is attracted by the water, the water keeps it all together before it is flushed away.

Agree with you vacmanuk.  The design of today's washers and driers flush out/emit most of the lint during operations.  The smallish lint build up on the screen filters of today's driers coagulate into a piece of fibrous material.  A lint roller is ideal for removing all the lint in a single pass in one whole piece.  There is no airborne dust/dirt which are the triggers for asthma and allergy sufferers.  More of a danger is the emitted lint build up in the drier exhaust hoses which are vented to the outdoors.  If not cleaned/replaced regularly, the build up impedes effective drier operations and may even ignite.

Carmine D.

Replies: 235 - 244 of 244Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42