Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
future_retiree

Newly interested in learning about upper scale/high end home appliances!

What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?
Original Message   May 2, 2010 11:56 pm
Title says it all, what is the realistic shelf storage life of the Miele AH-50 HEPA filters? I'm not asking about using them in a vac, I'm talking about buying them, letting them sit around for a while, like several years, and then installing and using them in a vacuum.

Does the charcoal lose it's effectiveness after sitting around for several years (in the box), or do the filter elements become less effective over time? 

The situation is, I learned of a way to but the filters and bags for 50% off retail price. Considering that you almost never see the Miele filters and bags discounted, and never at 50% off, this may be a once-every-ten-years opportunity, and so I think I'll grab a few boxes of bags and some filters. 

For those curious how I found this, the local downtown business/merchant's association of the (well-to-do) suburban community near where I live is having a promotion to encourage shopping at the local merchants and store fronts for the next few months.  They are offering a local script, "Downtown Dollars", that is priced at 50 cents on the dollar, you pay $10 for $20 of their script.  The script is redeemable, up to a $200 limit, at local businesses. Today I noticed the local "sew and vac" store is participating, and they list themselves as a Miele vac dealer, although all they really carry is one display model, and have some old brochures lying in a pile.   I intend to ask them tomorrow if they will accept the script for some filters and bags, ... I half expect them to say no, but we'll see.
This message was modified May 4, 2010 by future_retiree

Vacuum history:
-- Electrolux 1205 (ran for 28 years, then it needed a new hose and replacement wand!);
-- Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner "Vac N Go Hand Vac", 12V (auto power) mini canister x2
-- Miele LEO.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: What is the 'shelf life' of Miele AH-50 HEPA Filters?
Reply #4   May 4, 2010 1:52 pm
future_retiree wrote:
My plan to but these filters at a 50% discount is a no go.  The downtown merchant's association printed up $5000 worth of their scirpt, and they ran out on the first day. No current plans to print any more.

Did you ever verify with the MIELE dealer that bags and filters were acceptable purchases for the retailers' script?

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #5   May 4, 2010 5:47 pm
future_retiree wrote:
My plan to but these filters at a 50% discount is a no go.  The downtown merchant's association printed up $5000 worth of their scirpt, and they ran out on the first day. No current plans to print any more.

Hi future_retiree,

It is possible to bargain vendor to vendor but Miele sellers whether vacuums, appliances or consumables are not usually prepared to discount to 50-percent which would be a killer reduction.  (I do not have a clear line as to what they themselves pay for product.)  Your best hope for consumables like filters and bags is at about 75-percent of list price.  Best negotiations for a Miele cleaner listing at $1,200 would be $900. If you do better than that you're probably going to jail.

Fifty-dollar filters as a best deal should run around thirty-five bucks I'd think.  By the way, if you have already -- get friendly with your local Miele dealer.  Developing a good relationship can, over time, cause them to cut you a little slack now and then.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #6   May 4, 2010 8:01 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi future_retiree,

It is possible to bargain vendor to vendor but Miele sellers whether vacuums, appliances or consumables are not usually prepared to discount to 50-percent which would be a killer reduction.  (I do not have a clear line as to what they themselves pay for product.)  Your best hope for consumables like filters and bags is at about 75-percent of list price.  Best negotiations for a Miele cleaner listing at $1,200 would be $900. If you do better than that you're probably going to jail.

Fifty-dollar filters as a best deal should run around thirty-five bucks I'd think.  By the way, if you have already -- get friendly with your local Miele dealer.  Developing a good relationship can, over time, cause them to cut you a little slack now and then.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I would go so far to say that MIELE bags and filters would be excluded from bulk discount sales of 50 percent unless discontinued.  The concern with MIELE and its authorized dealers is that the product would be sold on ebay at prices undercutting the authorized dealer prices.

Carmine D.

future_retiree

Reply #7   May 4, 2010 10:19 pm
CarmineD and Venson, it sounds like something got mis-understood between my first post and my previous post. The 'scheme' to buy the bags and filters at a discount was via a promotion the local storefront/merchants association was running, no negotiating involved.

I've never seen the bags/filters at a discount, so it seemed like a good idea to use the promotional script (I pay $100 read dollars for $200 worth of script) to buy the bags and filters, Unfortunately, the script sold out long before I was able get any of it.
This message was modified May 5, 2010 by future_retiree

Vacuum history:
-- Electrolux 1205 (ran for 28 years, then it needed a new hose and replacement wand!);
-- Metropolitan Vacuum Cleaner "Vac N Go Hand Vac", 12V (auto power) mini canister x2
-- Miele LEO.
CarmineD

Reply #8   May 5, 2010 7:05 am
I got it.  I'm already retired.  Just doubtful that MIELE/dealers would discount $400 worth of filters and bags for $200.  You might get a few for personal use.  But not enough to resell and line your pockets.

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #9   May 5, 2010 1:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi future_retiree,

Venson

Good advice on the get to know your local vendor. As per honoring the coupon/script...As a AUTHORIZED dealer, we sign contracts to uphold specific corporate policies, why would we take the chance of losing our biggest brand and source of income that pays for the rent and expenses as well as income to support our families in order to honor a gimmick? What is in it for the Risktaker/Entrepreneur? What did you do for a living? Would you be willing to invest both your time and money to essentially give it away to me? LMK.
Venson

Reply #10   May 5, 2010 3:06 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Good advice on the get to know your local vendor. As per honoring the coupon/script...As a AUTHORIZED dealer, we sign contracts to uphold specific corporate policies, why would we take the chance of losing our biggest brand and source of income that pays for the rent and expenses as well as income to support our families in order to honor a gimmick? What is in it for the Risktaker/Entrepreneur? What did you do for a living? Would you be willing to invest both your time and money to essentially give it away to me? LMK.

The nicest thing I've ever heard from a dealer was when my local said to me when he sold me my S7 at a wonderfully low cost, "I'm letting it go to you at his price because I know you know what to do with it."  And please be advised that this guy and I are not bosom buddies.  I go to his shop as I need things and he's come to  know me and that I know what I am buying.

Every thing is not about money.  I well recall that I informed my last boss of eight-and-a half years that how I was treated was what really mattered to me regardless of salary.  The employee that has a good snese of relationship -- perceiving his or herself as being heard, seen and significant -- with his or her employer comes away feeling their interests are a real consideration in the scheme of things and are far more prone to go the extra mile when they don't have to.  That can't be bought.

The vendor who leaves his customers with a sense that he is extending good will benefits far more than the one who is rigid and openly demanding every little penny for thsi thing or that.  I got two not one Mieles from my local shop and go bavck to it whenever I need things and recommend it with out hesitation.  Believe me, I have a list of shops that if asked I'm the first one to say, "Don't bother."  These places are just steps away from the one whom treats me in the fashion I like.

Venson

Venson

Reply #11   May 5, 2010 6:13 pm
I meant to mention that for all my boasting about clean bag chambers. I thought about it and yesterday and actually lifted off the HEPA.  Playing the slob, I wiped out the area of the machine directly underneath and came away with just a miniscule amount of carbon dust from the motor brushes.

That's my idea of good.

Venson

future_retiree

Reply #12   May 5, 2010 9:52 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Did you ever verify with the MIELE dealer that bags and filters were acceptable purchases for the retailers' script?

Carmine D.

Yes, I called and asked. They said, "ah, ..., yes". Having been in the shop once to scope it out, I suspect he (seems like a one man operation) saw it as a way to unload bags and filters that had not sold in years and years. The extent of this particular retailer's Miele line seemed like one sign on the wall and some product literature lying around.

Vacuum history:
-- Miele LEO.
CarmineD

Reply #13   May 5, 2010 10:03 pm
future_retiree wrote:
Yes, I called and asked. They said, "ah, ..., yes". Having been in the shop once to scope it out, I suspect he (seems like a one man operation) saw it as a way to unload bags and filters that had not sold in years and years. The extent of this particular retailer's Miele line seemed like one sign on the wall and some product literature lying around.

Moot point now but thanks for the response. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42